Council Tax and Bailiffs ref only - NO POSTS ALLOWED

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4822 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Can any one please help my council tax has beeen passed to rossendales i have had one visit and did not know my rights and have signed and paid there fees i sent a payment request for 10 pounds a month which they refused and it has now been passed to another baliff with the van i had two account one which i have payed the outstanding amount just fees left one which i have only paid ten pounds off so still owe 160 plus fees the thing is i live with my new girlfriends and all the items the listed on the first visit belong solely to her does any one know what a statutory declaration form for this would look like and what i do with it ????

Hi,

A statutory declaration is a legal document defined under the law of certain Commonwealth nations. It is similar to a statement made under oath, however, it is not sworn.

Statutory declarations are commonly used to allow a person to affirm something to be true for the purposes of satisfying some legal requirement or regulation when no other evidence is available. They are thus similar to affidavits (which are made on oath).

Depending on jurisdiction, statutory declarations can be used for:

Declarations of identity, nationality, marital status, etc. when documentary evidence is unavailable.

Declaring the intention to change one's name.

Affirming the provenance and nature of goods for export or import.

Statements of originality for patent applications.

(definition from Wikipedia)

I am in the process of actually getting protection from bailiffs (due to council tax non-payment) through a Bill of Sale (Bill of Sale act 1882). Which is registered at the Royal courts of justice and is effective against bailiffs or trustees in Bankruptcy. Let me know if this is something that you want to know more about. It can be put in place within a week.

I too have had problems with Newlyn. If anyone could advise me I would be extremely grateful.

We owed £173 council tax which was passed on for collection to Newlyn.

I first met the bailiff when he turned up at my house in a van. He said he was here regarding the Council Tax arrears and, not realising he was a bailiff, I let him in (Doh)

I verbally agreed a repayment amount only to realise later when I examined the paperwork, that the £173 was now £344.

Afetr ringing the bailiff and subsequently, the Council, I managed to find out that the charges were for two earlier visits as well. There was no correspondance posted through the door so I had no inkling that the matter had been passed over to Newlyn untill the guy with the van showed up.

I contested the charges on the basis trhat no letter had been put through the door and have just received a reply stating that they have invesigated the matter and are satisfied that the charges are applicable.

I explained that I would be happy to pay the initial visit charge but they will not waive the rest.

I dont like the idea of having my car clamped by maverick bailiffs. my step son is autistic and my wife suffers from mental health issues and i would be unwilling to risk any kind of upsetting scenes to take place. However, i strongly resent being "rolled over" in this way and if I can forestall any kind of scene, I would be happy to escelate the issue as far as neccessary to see that the rogues learn a lesson.

Any advice anyone?

Thanks in anticipation

Pete

Not sure if this is the right place ,but.....

Last week bailiffs called at my shop to seize goods and close the doors due to unpaid business rates.I stated that I had registered to pay but had received no correspondance from the council as far as bills and payment books were concerned.The bailiff said that the council had sent 4 letters to me,and the bailiff had sent 2.I had received nothing.Long story short,I had 5 days to pay the full amount,plus £600 costs.This I did.I also contacted the business rates section of the council for all copies of any correspondance we had had,to be sent to my home address.This they did.From these letters I have found that the rates team had failed to include the name of the shop in the address,despite the fact that the shop had changed hands and was now under new ownership,and despite the fact that the name of the shop had been included in the previous owners mail.They also failed to include the names of the other 2 partners.As we share the building with 3 flats,all having the same street number,the postman had been putting anything not addressed specifically to the shop into the letter box for the flats.This was the same for the bailiffs letters.The flats have a high turnover of tennants,and it appears that one of the girls was putting anything unknown straight back in the postbox,marked 'not here'.

I have also found out that I am not entitled to small business rates relief becuase I already claim relief on a storage unit in the next borough.I will now be disposing of this so that I can get relief on the shop.Unfortunately,as I have only now found this out,I cannot get the reduction for the past year.

My question is; where do I stand with regard to claiming any of this money back?

Not sure if this is the right place ,but.....

Last week bailiffs called at my shop to seize goods and close the doors due to unpaid business rates.I stated that I had registered to pay but had received no correspondance from the council as far as bills and payment books were concerned.The bailiff said that the council had sent 4 letters to me,and the bailiff had sent 2.I had received nothing.Long story short,I had 5 days to pay the full amount,plus £600 costs.This I did.I also contacted the business rates section of the council for all copies of any correspondance we had had,to be sent to my home address.This they did.From these letters I have found that the rates team had failed to include the name of the shop in the address,despite the fact that the shop had changed hands and was now under new ownership,and despite the fact that the name of the shop had been included in the previous owners mail.They also failed to include the names of the other 2 partners.As we share the building with 3 flats,all having the same street number,the postman had been putting anything not addressed specifically to the shop into the letter box for the flats.This was the same for the bailiffs letters.The flats have a high turnover of tennants,and it appears that one of the girls was putting anything unknown straight back in the postbox,marked 'not here'.

I have also found out that I am not entitled to small business rates relief becuase I already claim relief on a storage unit in the next borough.I will now be disposing of this so that I can get relief on the shop.Unfortunately,as I have only now found this out,I cannot get the reduction for the past year.

My question is; where do I stand with regard to claiming any of this money back?

can you start your own thread many post are missed on this thread

Bailiffs and Sheriff Officers link takes you to a new page near bottom on left new thread

can you also post the amount of the liability order so that bailiff fees can be worked out

hi apologies in advance if there is already a template on here but cant seem to find one!! could anyone direct me to a template letter to complain to the council re the conduct of their bailiffs and request that they accept payments direct due to this??

many thanks

clairebluexxx:confused:

Hi claireblue,

Hunni, you already have your own thread in the main forum. Why not post your query there?

This is a sticky, generally speaking people tend to whizz past them if they feel they are irrelevant and people posting here won't attract the attention they deserve. [i so wish stickys were locked!].

I'm happy to write something for you if you wish and you can correct, alter or ignore it as you so desire. But please ask in your current thread...

Best wishes.

Rae.

Hi there - new to here but took advice from it and a couple of other sites before I registered as a user and thought I'd share my experience so it might help others and will keep you posted.

I owed an amount of £348 for Council Tax. I'm a single parent on benefit. I made an arrangement with the bailiff (Equita) and paid my first installment. They then swapped me from Income Support to Job Seekers (new rules as my daughter is now 11) and therefore my next payment was late as I was paid late. I was paying £25 per month.

I had a visit today from a Bailiff (who is certified...checked it), who's attitude, professionalism, ethics are severely questionable. I did not allow him in (although I was ignorant to the advice before, but thank goodness I didn't). I explained what had happened and offered to pay this month's early to make up for last late payment. He refused. He said he was "giving you 24 hours to pay £538.98 or I am going to remove goods from your property tomorrow morning, whether you're here or not" I explained that I did not have that amount or any money other than the offer I had just put to him - he refused.

I then went into panic mode, phoned a friend who offered to lend me the money but then I got curious. Why had my debt gone up by £200 since my last payment? I came onto the net and found you guys and some other sites then (god help the bailiff) I became a terrier.

I first phoned Equita office to find out what the £200 increase was for - they refused point blank to discuss my case and said I could only discuss it direct with the Bailiff. I phoned the Bailiff who said he was not privvy to the details, he could only ask the office to send me a statement but that would take around 5 days. I said that as he was intending to visit me tomorrow to remove goods, that wasn't much help as I wanted to know what I was paying for before I even contemplated parting with my money. He said he would discuss it with me tomorrow. I told him that he wouldn't be discussing anything with me tomorrow as I am making sure that my property is secure and have intention of opening the door to him and he was required by law to make 'peaceful entry'. I also told him that my neighbours were aware of his intended visit and that they were prepared to be witnesses to his conduct the day. I told him that I knew my rights and that he could not remove any goods from my address as he had not issued a levy distress on my goods. I asked if the £200 bump in debt was due to him charging for attending with a van because if so, this was an illegal charge as he had not come into my property to obtain what he needs in order to this and therefore is a bogus charge.

He then told me that he would be attending with the police in the morning. I told him that he most welcome to, that the police had no powers to assist him with any forced entry, that the police were impotent in this situation and I'm sure that the police will tell him that they have far more important things to with there time. I also mentioned to him that he had refused my offer of payment and as I knew I was not allowing him access to my home, he was left with no option but to pass my case back to the council, who will be paid the minute it is passed back.

He then told me that I had until tomorrow morning (again) to get the money. I explained that I was a single parent on benefits, that he had refused my offer of payment which is above the statuatory amount and the council or further court action would be notified of his refusal to accept my payment.

He again told me the police would be attending with him...I then laughed and told him that I was not going to be intimidated by him, I knew my rights, I'm not refusing to pay, he is refusing to accept my offer...with which he slammed the phone down.

I now am waiting to see what happens tomorrow morning. But I have decided that I shall not communicate with anyone other than in writing.

Eeeekk.....come the revolution!!

Hi,

please could you give me some advise?

I have had bailiffs constantly knocking on my door to get the council tax back which i owe, i now owe £650. I had the bailiffs knock on my door last week and they said that unless i pay them the full amount within 7 days then they will take my belongings to sell at auction. I stupidly signed the walking possession order a few months back but since then i have not been able to pay them as they are saying that i need to pay them £180 a month and i can't afford that as i am only working part time and my partner is on incapacity benift and nothing else as he has got cancer. This problem is really stressing me out and we are both loseing sleep over this situation!. I have spoken to the council and rossendales umteen times and they just dont want to know. I have got the bailiffs coming back in a few days to get my possessions but i have not even got anything worth the amount that the need. They also stated that if i was not in when they returned that they would force entry and take what ever is necessery. Please advise as i really don't know what to do now. Thank you.

Hi,

please could you give me some advise?

I have had bailiffs constantly knocking on my door to get the council tax back which i owe, i now owe £650. I had the bailiffs knock on my door last week and they said that unless i pay them the full amount within 7 days then they will take my belongings to sell at auction. I stupidly signed the walking possession order a few months back but since then i have not been able to pay them as they are saying that i need to pay them £180 a month and i can't afford that as i am only working part time and my partner is on incapacity benift and nothing else as he has got cancer. This problem is really stressing me out and we are both loseing sleep over this situation!. I have spoken to the council and rossendales umteen times and they just dont want to know. I have got the bailiffs coming back in a few days to get my possessions but i have not even got anything worth the amount that the need. They also stated that if i was not in when they returned that they would force entry and take what ever is necessery. Please advise as i really don't know what to do now. Thank you.

Hello and welcome

I'm not sure what to advise other than given your circumstances you should be classed as vunerable and the bailiff should return your account to the council.

Can I suggest that you start your own thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ewthread&f=168

and I am sure that there will be plenty of good advice very shortly.

Hi I was in a similar situation to yourself. Firstly calm down. Sit and write a letter to the council concerned stating your circumstances and also remember to add in the letter that you are classed vulnerable under the Enforcement Agency Act. Explain your partner's diagnosis and the stress that this is causing. The council will either take the debt back or ask the bailiffs to be reasonable. Tell the council what you are prepared to offer the bailiffs. Don't worry the council will look at your circumstances and should be reasonable. Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on. Please contact me on [email protected].

Me and my wife were paying £50 per week ( A sum that kept us on the breadline for some time ) and never missed a payment until the Christmas period when we we're unable to pay because the bailiff office was closed. This sent our account into arrears and they sent in the boys to take our things. They sent us a letter saying they wanted to levy against goods as we did not make any attempt to pay via other methods, we had simply waited until the office was open again and that by doing so WE had let OURSELVES get into arrears... They were very aggressive about this and refused to discuss it or take payment to catch up... proper load of bull!

The Bailiff office, by the way, is EQUITA working on behalf of WALSALL council, neither of which have any morals at all.

I called and offered to pay up to date, they refused payment. I was told that the bill was with bailiff and could not be dealt with by the office. So I called the Bailiff, who also refused payment demanding the whole sum. I managed to get £1020 together from a ridiculously high rate lender and paid the bill. When I asked for a break down of cost's it had £260 worth of Levy fee's on... Regardless of there never being need for levy. I complained to the bailiff and was basically told... "Tough." I asked to see proof that I had been levied against and they sent me a form that had my address, possession that I do not own, and a blank box at the bottom where I was supposed to have signed. I complained about this and again was told, "Tough." Bailiff's undergo a surgical procedure when they take the job on, in which the spine is removed and all humanity wiped from their minds.

I know I sound bitter, but when you understand that the £1020 bill that I had was due to the council messing up and me not being able to provide evidence to prove it, you may understand why I feel completely robbed and helpless about it all. I hate these people with a passion and wish that the fleas of a thousand camels would infest their armpits.

The money they owe was fictional, like the above thread, I was at the time on incapacity after having a stroke and being told that I was NOT ALLOWED to work. The council tax was supposed to have been dealt with but a council paperwork error left us liable and unable to contest it. Long story but it P*sses me off to much to explain all the details here. Simply put, these people are the silent, legalised thieves of the government and not enough is being done to make sure that they are fair and un-intimidating.

Edited by Anyamonsta
Additional information.

i suggest you start your own thread.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ewthread&f=168

seems like you've been ripped off.

you should have paid the council direct by internet banking they cannot refuse that

we need more info.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Me and my wife were paying £50 per week ( A sum that kept us on the breadline for some time ) and never missed a payment until the Christmas period when we we're unable to pay because the bailiff office was closed. This sent our account into arrears and they sent in the boys to take our things. They sent us a letter saying they wanted to levy against goods as we did not make any attempt to pay via other methods, we had simply waited until the office was open again and that by doing so WE had let OURSELVES get into arrears... They were very aggressive about this and refused to discuss it or take payment to catch up... proper load of bull!

The Bailiff office, by the way, is EQUITA working on behalf of WALSALL council, neither of which have any morals at all.

I called and offered to pay up to date, they refused payment. I was told that the bill was with bailiff and could not be dealt with by the office. So I called the Bailiff, who also refused payment demanding the whole sum. I managed to get £1020 together from a ridiculously high rate lender and paid the bill. When I asked for a break down of cost's it had £260 worth of Levy fee's on... Regardless of there never being need for levy. I complained to the bailiff and was basically told... "Tough." I asked to see proof that I had been levied against and they sent me a form that had my address, possession that I do not own, and a blank box at the bottom where I was supposed to have signed. I complained about this and again was told, "Tough." Bailiff's undergo a surgical procedure when they take the job on, in which the spine is removed and all humanity wiped from their minds.

I know I sound bitter, but when you understand that the £1020 bill that I had was due to the council messing up and me not being able to provide evidence to prove it, you may understand why I feel completely robbed and helpless about it all. I hate these people with a passion and wish that the fleas of a thousand camels would infest their armpits.

The money they owe was fictional, like the above thread, I was at the time on incapacity after having a stroke and being told that I was NOT ALLOWED to work. The council tax was supposed to have been dealt with but a council paperwork error left us liable and unable to contest it. Long story but it P*sses me off to much to explain all the details here. Simply put, these people are the silent, legalised thieves of the government and not enough is being done to make sure that they are fair and un-intimidating.

please start your own thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=168

• 2 weeks later...

my mum and dad have got dukes bailiffs phoning saying they are coming to seize goods on a walking possession order which is in my dads name but mum had signed it can they still take the goods we have had no letters saying this is happening and we have been given four days to pay them 1.260.00 which we do not have any help or advice would help

my mum and dad have got dukes bailiffs phoning saying they are coming to seize goods on a walking possession order which is in my dads name but mum had signed it can they still take the goods we have had no letters saying this is happening and we have been given four days to pay them 1.260.00 which we do not have any help or advice would help

hi welcome to CAG can you please start your own thread and give a bit more info http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=168 this link will take you to new thread starter

The first thing to do is get in contact with the council tax dept ,explain the position to them,as soon as they agree to take on the debt they will inform the bailiff that they have taken the debt on and they can take no further action,you may have to make out a direct debit out to the council and perhaps pay the first installment

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone please please help me.

My partner and I have been living together since 15th August 2008 in the same property. Saturday just gone, he received a letter from Bailiffs Whyte & Co saying that he and his ex house mate owed a years Council tax from the period of April 2007 to March 2008 and that a liability Order had been issued, he had 5 days to pay in full or they will come and seize property. This is the first that he has heard of this. There a couple of points:

1. The letter is addressed to my partner and his ex housemate, my partner is not in contact with his ex housemate since the day he left in August 2008 so has no idea where he is now.

2. The letter was dated 15th April we received it on 17th April if it is that urgent why did we not receive the letter earlier.

3. He has never had any letter during living at this current address about unpaid Council tax or at his old address.

4. During the year that they are claiming he owes money he was paying Council tax, unfortunately he still does not have any statements to prove that but he will be contacting his back so he can see the amount he paid.

5. During the duration of living at the old property he never received letters saying that they were in arrears of the Council tax.

What can my partner do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4822 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks