UK Power supplies Winter 2022/2023. Are you prepared ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 471 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Complete carp - you could run a power station with your gaslighting

If you had the slightest clue you would understand that green hydrogen production also easily includes ammonia and fertiliser production

Besides, your right wing idiotology states that the UK doesn't need to grow its own food - as previously linked ..

• Haha 1

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

“Do I want to spend every Friday for the next five years in Clacton?”

Farage, Feb 2024 talking smack about the Peninsula town

.. before he decided he wanted their votes

Ah so the UCL joins the queue 

The leading cardiologist 

“horseshit and crap”

The BBC “full of half facts”

Sir Winston Churchill 

“talking utter rubbish”

One can almost discern a trend developing here😂

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

No, just your mis- interpretations

see below, and follow up with 'hydrogen coal fertiliser' for a better use of coal until air scrubbing comes online (fat chance you will)

"A new sustainable and practical method for producing hydrogen from water has been discovered by a team of researchers. Unlike current methods, the new method does not require rare metals that are expensive or in short supply. Instead, hydrogen for fuel cells and agricultural fertilizers can now be produced using cobalt and manganese, two fairly common metals."

WWW.SCIENCEDAILY.COM

A new sustainable and practical method for producing hydrogen from water has been discovered by a team of researchers. Unlike current methods...

PHYS.ORG

A new sustainable and practical method for producing hydrogen from water has been discovered by a team of researchers at the RIKEN Center for...

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Want to discuss that paper sensibly? (fat chance)

You would need to read it and understand what it is actually saying rather than leaping to a conclusion from a secondary headline intended to be a dog whistle.

A poor actual  headline, "Sulfur: A potential resource crisis that could stifle green technology and threaten food security as the world decarbonises"

Which actually refers to the simple fact that fossil fuels are dirty, and sulpher is removed, so its been sold cheap to save them having to expensively dispose of the poisonous stuff - which has pushed other forms of sulpher supply out of the market.

Which simply means that cleaner forms (which are available with some detailed) would need to be reinstated, part of which has already been detailed in my links - ammonia from green hydrogen production with nitrogen from air. (ammonium nitrate)

The Tory Legacy

got no chance, just had email from my energy company, gone up more the I can afford, I get pension credit! was £61 for duel fuel with e-on, now loads more :( am with E-ON 

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Would seem many suppliers are actually declining new customers too at the moment, even though they are required to accept.

Seems the current situation is leaving the end suppliers at risk despite bP + Shell etc making astronomical record profits

My monthly payments have doubled already.

Perhaps consider contacting them and stating you need a payment plan?

I think Moneysaving Martin has an article on it. No doubt the experts here could give more info.

The Tory Legacy

If the Direct Debit amount is more than you can afford, then you have the rights to cancel the DD and only agree to a new DD for an amount you can budget for.

@snowdragon  contact EON to confirm you are on pension credits and cannot afford the new DD amount, so will cancel the DD, if it is not reduced down to £xx  per month which you are able to budget for.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

After 13 years of New Labour

British pound at $1.51

UK debt as % of GDP - 69%

UK inflation rate - 3.5% 

+ GP appointments mainly within 48 hours

After 12 years of the Conservatives

British pound at $1.08 (37 yr low)

UK debt as % of GDP - +100% (highest deficit since ww2)

UK inflation rate - 9.9%

+ you ring up at 8am to try to 'win' a GP appointment in 2 weeks, which probably ends up as a call from a a non-GP from the practice or a call center.

- Michael Payne (with an addition few bits from me)

and how do the 'Torys address this? big Tax cuts for the richest and bigger bonuses for bankers,

and real world pay cuts year after year for health staff.

the Tories - worse for the UK economy than a global financial crash

The Tory Legacy

On 22/09/2022 at 21:34, snowdragon said:

got no chance, just had email from my energy company, gone up more the I can afford, I get pension credit! was £61 for duel fuel with e-on, now loads more :( am with E-ON 

Did you get it sorted in any way  @snowdragon

The Tory Legacy

Here's Frances O'Grady on UK energy generation. Profits are going outside the UK.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The British public should enjoy the full benefit of the energy that is generated here, and help plan its future, says Frances O’Grady, TUC general secretary

• I agree 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Denmark’s maritime authority says a gas leak from pipeline in Baltic Sea could pose a danger to shipping traffic

The Tory Legacy

• 2 weeks later...

As expected, OPEC, led by Russia and Saudi Arabia (and its allies) has reduced its output (by twice the amount expected) and didn't meet the prior assurances of increased output: it seems to do two things

* Drive up the price

* Undermine Biden and put pressure on Nato/the west

Some takeaways:

"Democratic pundits suggested that the production cut represented an “October surprise” by Crown Prince Mohammed and his close ally, Donald Trump."

"Although oil prices have fallen from the highs of about $130 a barrel seen earlier this year when Russia’s invasion of Ukraine tightened supplies, motorists in the UK and the US have still experienced high prices at the pump, exacerbating the cost of living crisis."

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Cartel curbs production by 2m barrels a day despite strong US pressure, further squeezing supplies

Only a fool wouldn't be moving their energy needs away from fossil fuels

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Truss dog whistle to supporters

Damn foreigners need us more than we need them, and we don't need them ..

... yayy lie to us some more, we love it - say the cheerleaders for some reason

Truss to EU

Please keep our lights on .... pleeeease ...

... we will meet our commitments to our members and good faith partners say the EU

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

PM will ask European chiefs to keep gas and electricity interconnectors open amid supply fears

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Things to consider with this is

1. You need a smart meter

2. Despite Truss' HS idiotocracy rhetoric, its unlikely octopus could do this without some sort of payback for them in place ..

WWW.REUTERS.COM

British energy supplier Octopus is launching a scheme to pay customers not to use electricity during times of high power demand to help prevent...

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Smart meters mean the energy companies can cut energy supply remotely?

If this is possible, then if there is going to be restrictions on supplies, I can see those with smart meters being affected, if there is no marker on the supply records, that there are vulnerable members within the household.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Good question unc.

They are presumably on a separate circuit HB?

Like cooker sockets are here?

BUT .. Is that a separate socket from the consumer unit (fuse box) like the UK cooker circuits (which could not be isolated without a 'special' consumer unit. Or from the meter?

I'm not up on French installation practices.

With an ordinary consumer unit, the 'smart' meter could only switch off everything or nothing

Smart home 'smart' consumer units may be wired on separate circuits to certain 'smart' meters and be controlled by them.

The 'normal' setup for many years in teh Uk has/had been that heavy industrial units could be switched off - and they were paid for that capability (usually industries with their 'own' transformers off the HV mains

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Just a point; I would recommend Octopus to anyone having now been with them (aside from a very short and regretted break) for some years now

Happy to privately share a link that would get a new customer and me 50 quid each

- and that is NOT why i would recommend them - the quality of service is.

They have kept me fully informed at all times, have sent details of what to do if i am struggling, and answer the phones within minutes AND resolve any questions at first go

Only irritating think they do is take a payment in advance (but the 50 quid account credit does make up for that)

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

It's all a bit beyond me, TJ, but here's what one of the guides mentions about having a Linky meter and how it helps you know how much energy you consume. I believe it also tells people how much solar energy they're putting back into the grid. I don't see any mention of controlling people's equipment.

EN.SELECTRA.INFO

Do you want to know more about the Linky meter in France? Find out everything you need to know about this smart meter, including why they're...

Illegitimi non carborundum

I'll look it all up a little later HB

The Tory Legacy

Appears switching off supplies is possible, but actions would need to be taken to enable it.

WWW.THISISMONEY.CO.UK

A series of backdoor 'modifications' to the Smart Energy Code have been proposed by officials and look set to pass into law by next spring.

They need to ask King Charles apparently

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

3 hours ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

Smart meters mean the energy companies can cut energy supply remotely?

Yes, it does

3 hours ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

If this is possible, then if there is going to be restrictions on supplies, I can see those with smart meters being affected, if there is no marker on the supply records, that there are vulnerable members within the household.

and as the appliances aren't differentiated ie the whole consumer unit is disconnected. There ARE of course safety issues associated with that.

The linky has a separate connection which a high use item can be directly connected to and can be disconnected separately.

I understand a number of UK smart meters also have separate circuits, but am unaware of it being widely used and  most people just have a 'dumb fusebox connected to it - so its all or nothing.

Lets not forget smart meters were always about being able to disconnect consumers and being able to implement time of use tarrifs. not needing to give meter readings was just a bonus and sweetener.

If you are rich - you can have your evening meal - otherwise forget it or have it at 3 in the morning.

Edited by tobyjugg2
  • Like 1

The Tory Legacy

2 hours ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

Appears switching off supplies is possible, but actions would need to be taken to enable it.

WWW.THISISMONEY.CO.UK

A series of backdoor 'modifications' to the Smart Energy Code have been proposed by officials and look set to pass into law by next spring.

Anyone know what's happened about this proposal?

The article is dated September 2020 and quotes Ofgem as saying a decision was likely in Spring 2021.

Possibly it's been quietly agreed when no-one was watching, but seems a bit unlikely that no journalist would have noticed if the supply industry and given itself powers this sweeping.

Maybe more likely it's been quietly moved to the backburner?