moral issues applying for a job

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry if this is the wrong place but i couldnt decide if i should put it here or the job centre section.

Im on jobseekers and worried if i dont apply for a job at a capita call centre that the job centre will sanction me but i dont feel comfortable working for a company that has caused ill and disabled people so many problems and distress. Like, if i get to the interview process how do i hide my hate for them, how do i go to work everyday knowing i am taking money from a company who is part of a system that is hellbent on robbing a sizable part of society of their dignity and even their lives? I would be very greatful for any advice

Hi,

DWP will take the view that you can have morals on your own expense not the taxpayers I am afraid. So I would be inclined to increase efforts to find work somewhere more aligned with your values, or throw the interview with subtlety.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Thanks honeybee.

Another problem is i dont want to work in a call centre full stop, been there, done that and hated it. In the exact same building but under a different owner. Ive been through months of updating my qualifications so i can go into admin not back into a call centre. Oh yeah, ive not been mandated to apply, just given the info

I'd redouble your efforts to find what you are looking for then.

Also, there is nothing wrong with taking a job somewhere whilst continuing those efforts.

Emmzzi is spot on imo

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)

I've not been mandated to apply, just given the info

If a DWP Employment Officer has given you the information, it may well have been recorded on their computer system as a Jobseeker's Direction and/or a notified vacancy. Failing to follow up on the vacancy without good reason could lead to a benefit doubt being raised and then having to fight a sanction.

I was in a similar position a few years back when I was advised of an admin vacancy with a dubious company (the firm claimed to reduce unwanted telesales calls and junk mail). I rejected it on the grounds that I could be required to breach any number of rules & regulations and the business engaged in morally (as well as legally) questionable practices.... Looks like the directors of said company are now in the dock accused of a £9m fraud.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I think it's more immoral to live off the taxpeyer than to work for an evil company. And I hope that at least this post won't be censored.

fishfingered, if you've had posts removed, it's possible that they were against site rules. I would like to invite you to read them, it may explain things for you. :)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?9-Forum-rules.-Please-read-these-before-posting(1-Viewing)-nbsp

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I think it's more immoral to live off the taxpayer than to work for an evil company. And I hope that at least this post won't be censored.

Following that argument, you are saying that the Eichmann was less immoral than someone who doesn't work. It has been argued by academics that Eichmann was actually a remarkably ordinary man and not the evil monster that has been portrayed. He was allegedly a moderate achiever who ended up in his job almost by accident.

May I suggest you read a few books:

A major one Modernity and the Holocaust (Bauman).

Eichmann in Jerusalem ( Arendt)

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

I did say if. Nice way to try and kick someone in the stomach though. Did you ever learn dont say anything at all if you cant say something nice

Wasn't meant that way.

Sorry if you can't see the hint.

REMEMBER! Hunger is the enemy - NOT the hungry!

I would just apply. If you get it then just concentrate on doing your best to assist the people you deal with.

Capita are paid to do what the government ask. The government pay benefits.. Not having a go, just saying don't think about it too deeply.

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

I would agree with Emmzzi , the DWP won't take your moral stance into consideration. If you really don't want the job there are plenty of truthful ways of sabotaging your application without appearing to have done so.

I can think of nothing worse than having to work in a call centre - other than not keeping my self respect by having no job at all !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi

I think you mistake many peoples true feelings with pragmatism.

You came asking for advice which is what was given, you did not ask what our opinions of capita was . I think what most of us stand for is quite clear from reading other threads on the forum. It is not about any judgement, moral or otherwise on Capita , it is about how the DWP may react should you refuse to apply for such a job.

As I said, there are many ways to legitimately screw up an interview without calling them murdering [edited] or indeed giving the dip any reason to sanction you.

There is of course the thought that you might actually be able to quietly do some good as a 5th column within the organisation although I realise that is difficult and takes a calm head and precise planning. A calm head is something that you may struggle with.

From reading the replies there seems only one non supportive response and that person is fully employed building bridges

Edited by honeybee13
Quote of pejorative word removed.

obviously having feelings towards other human beings is not as important as getting money from [Capita]

Quite the reverse. I fully support you with any moral objections you have towards any company. I for one will refuse to even consider applying for a job if it involves "telesales" or any other questionable activity.

CAG do not routinely delete threads, and this one does raise a very real concern. To prevent any of the serial trolls posting their poison, thread closed.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks