• Tweets

• Daft question - but you filed the defence on-line on MCOL as dx indicated, right?
    • We looked up the e-mail address so communications would be in writing.  If you do stuff on the phone the other party can just deny the contents of the conversation.  They can't deny what's written in an e-mail. So time to sort Pete out.  Check the following for accuracy and change anything I've got wrong.  Then e-mail Pete this evening.  I was thinking of threatening the pub with legal action but let's initially be nice.   Dear Pete, Re: PCN no.XXXXX, claim form no.XXXXX on 23 July 2022 I was a customer at your pub and I attach proof of purchase. I was picking up my cousin Ms XXXXX and her family as she was working as a cook with you at the time.  I entered the pub through the back door, went to the bar, and ordered a drink and a meal.  At no point did any bar staff alert me that I needed to add my registration number or did I see any signs advising me to do so.  I then took a seat outside in a small seated area so I could chat to my cousin while waiting for her to finish work.  We were joined by the management of the pub and bar staff during my time waiting  I was shocked a few days later when I received a demand for £100 from Civil Enforcement Ltd.  i contacted the pub and was told "don't worry, it's not enforceable". Well, that information turned out to be nonsense because I have now received a county court claim form from CEL. I contacted the pub again on XXXXX and was extremely disappointed to be told "there's nothing we can do". Of course there is something you can do.  You are the organ grinder.  You called CEL in.  You can call your dogs off.  Your pub has absolutely superb reviews on Google Maps regarding the way in which you treat guests.  Do you really think customers should be dragged to court?  I'm sure you don't. I am therefore requesting that you intervene and instruct CEL to cease court action. Yours, XXXXX
    • Thank you - Defence has now been filed Doc_20240501_182920_Redacted.pdf
    • The US central bank has left interest rates unchanged again, noting a "lack of further progress" toward lowering inflation.View the full article
    • The US central bank has left interest rates unchanged again, noting a "lack of further progress" toward lowering inflation.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2661 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What the same Bazza who before today saying that the claim was status barred but now has suddenly decided on the fact of evidence that hold on the claim was not just status barred the solicitor was merely bluffing, lol, you could not make it up Gn.

"The claim was statute barred" : I've said so all along.

That the solicitor was using the "the court COULD use s33 to disapply the statute bar" as a tactical ploy : doesn't contradict the fact that the limitation act sets the statute bar.

That it was a bluff because the Court COULD do so (in theory) but WOULDN'T do so (in practice) explains why that situation isn't illogical.

Because you have (for months!) not "got the point" is why I had started putting the "COULD" and "WOULD" (or "WOULD not") in Caps, hoping it'd sink in!

If you want to return (again!) to discussing S33: so be it.

You again want to argue that the prospect of a successful S33 application was more than "just a bluff"?

I'm willing to back up my belief that a S33 application stood no real prospect. I noted the relevant factors back on the 15th July.

Can it be extended: if forced into the gross oversimplification of a "yes or no" answer, the answer would have to be yes, it can.

However, "simple" would be an apt description for someone who felt it would (rather than "could") be extended. It "could", for a yes or no answer, but in the circumstances described, it wouldn't be.

It could be extended by mutual consent : why would the council be minded to agree that?.

It could be extended for a minor or protected party. The OP has shown no understanding of the law regarding limitation, but that doesn't mean they lack competance to issue proceedings (and in some of their posts they claim to have done so...)

The limitation could be disapplied (technically different to an extension) under s.33, but considering the six-fold factors the court would consider : that too seems most unlikely.

Since others have agreed with me (about S33 being a new-starter) and you are the one with the "outlying view", and you have chosen to return to the subject, why don't you try and persuade me I'm wrong?.

"the six-fold factors the court would consider" : So, What are the six factors set out in S33? You'd need to know them to work out if the court would agree with a S33 application / create a persuasive S33 application.

Applying those factors to the facts of your case, how do you reach the conclusion the court had any prospect of allowing a S33 disapplication of the statute bar?

You need to bear in mind

a) the S33 factors are defined in statute

b) the Court of Appeal has issued guidance on interpreting S33, (the case being :

Clifford Sayers v (1) Lord Chelwood, Deceased (2) Lady Chelwood [2012] EWCA Civ 1715

How do you fit your conclusion in with Lord Justice Jackson's leading argument? Particularly paragraphs 56-60??

Para 56 : "the general approach to section 33 is that the burden is on the claimant. The claimant is seeking to be exempted from the normal consequences of failing to issue proceedings in time. It is for the claimant to establish by reference to the criteria set out in section 33 that it would be equitable to allow the action to proceed, despite the expiry of the prescribed limitation period."

Para 57 : "that the burden was on the claimant"

Para 60 : "powerful reasons why the discretion of the court should not be exercised in favour of the claimant."

If you are claiming that the court WOULD allow a S33 application to disapply the statute bar rather than just COULD apply it, you'd need to come up with "powerful reasons" using the factors laid out in S33 and

the case of Sayers.

I suggest you

a) can't establish those reasons using the six factors S33 sets out, based not only on the facts but also

b) you aren't a strong enough advocate to produce a persuasive argument.

You can "huff and puff" (that much is clear!), but when it comes down to

The law and applying the law to the facts : you just fall short.

Bet you can't produce a logical, reasoned argument per the S33 factors and Sayers.....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Since others have agreed with me (about S33 being a new-starter) and you are the one with the "outlying view", and you have chosen to return to the subject, why don't you try and persuade me I'm wrong?."

Typo correction : "New-starter" should read "non-starter"

A section 33 application would have been relevant had Callum not already issued proceedings.

All this section 33 talking is distracting from the point.

An appeal/set aside of the Order striking out his claim would have been the correct way to go. However, after all this time it is very, very unlike to be allowed.

Pure speculation:

Callum will not post the remainder of the defence because it claims the solicitor did inform him that his PI appeal did not hold water

Callum will not post the 'other correspondence' referred to because is demonstrates the solicitor informed him of the above.

This is not meant derisively, but one starts to draw conclusions from the lack of pertinent information. Hard not to when the OP argues and belittles the people he is asking for advice.

Talking of appeals : what is the situation regarding any appeal of the strike-out of the recent claim (the strike-out made on 18th August 2016).

Isn't that the key issue currently?

Agreed, all the limitation stuff is academic if Callum has not applied for permission to appeal.

Agreed, all the limitation stuff is academic if Callum has not applied for permission to appeal.

And of course its all academic, it would be now the limitation period would have been irrelevant despite that being defined as the main reason why the solicitor and according to most advice on here have relied on which giving the solicitors very own evidence proves the complete opposite.

Just for the record and giving the evidence from Shelter and their legal team extending the limitation would have been a formality.

And of course its all academic, it would be now the limitation period would have been irrelevant despite that being defined as the main reason why the solicitor and according to most advice on here have relied on which giving the solicitors very own evidence proves the complete opposite.

Just for the record and giving the evidence from Shelter and their legal team extending the limitation would have been a formality.

There is no evidence from the solicitors or Shelter that PROVES anything of the sort, stop talking absolute nonsense.

No application for section 33 relief is ever a formality. They are very difficult applications to succeed in and are not often granted as the limitation period is strictly enforced by the Courts and not to be taken lightly.

But anyway, for the hundredth time a section 33 application would not have been relevant in your case anyway so it's irrelevant as you had already issued Court proceedings and had your claim struck out.

add to that the medical evidence that the solicitor requested and was provided again the Court would have had more than enough proof to use its powers to grant an extention.

Or was requesting a providing the Council with medical evidence to establish the PI just another clever move by the not so clever solicitor.

Or this was just another Bazza bluff being played out by the not so clever solicitor who pretended to represent me and without the needed authority to act in any event.

add to that the medical evidence that the solicitor requested and was provided again the Court would have had more than enough proof to use its powers to grant an extention.

Or was requesting a providing the Council with medical evidence to establish the PI just another clever move by the not so clever solicitor.

Or this was just another Bazza bluff being played out by the not so clever solicitor who pretended to represent me and without the needed authority to act in any event.

I've already explained the reasons behind the solicitor obtaining your medical records.

An injury claim under the disrepair protocol only requires your medical records or letter from you GP.

Your personal injury claim under the personal injury protocol was already struck out and dead and gone as you hadn't appealed the strike out.

There is nothing underhand or suspicious about the solicitor obtaining your medical records. It is the correct procedure to follow.

And of course its all academic

Yup, academic for the PI claim as you didn't appeal the strike out of your PI claim in time.

Academic for the negligence claim against the first solicitor, as you haven't (from what you have, and indeed, haven't posted) appealed the strike out of that claim. You are likely out of time there too, and each passing day makes any application for extension of the time allowed less likely.....

, it would be now the limitation period would have been irrelevant despite that being defined as the main reason why the solicitor and according to most advice on here have relied on which giving the solicitors very own evidence proves the complete opposite.

Say what?.

You are confusing s.33, the solicitor's evidence, and "proof". As ever.

That, and / or you are spouting gibberish again. Since you never try and justify what you are saying, it is so hard to tell if you are just wrong, confused or irrational.

I doubt they said that, and if they did say it, they are wrong. Not because I say so, but because the Court of Appeal says so. Cite above, LJ Jackson's comments, in Sayers.

Its not a formality, it is a "burden on the claimant".

But, your returning to S33 is a 'red herring'. It isn't useful to you as a valid grounds of appeal, as

a) you are wrong about it, and

b) as GM has said, it wouldn't have been the correct way forward anyway.

There is no evidence from the solicitors or Shelter that PROVES anything of the sort, stop talking absolute nonsense.

No application for section 33 relief is ever a formality. They are very difficult applications to succeed in and are not often granted as the limitation period is strictly enforced by the Courts and not to be taken lightly.

But anyway, for the hundredth time a section 33 application would not have been relevant in your case anyway so it's irrelevant as you had already issued Court proceedings and had your claim struck out.

Yup.

The thing is, you persist in your delusions.

If you actually tried explaining why you believe what you believe, the flaw in your logic could be explained to you, but you don't. You don't try and justify your belief, at least not with any comprehensible reasoned argument, so, all you do is repeat the same tired delusions.

But, returning to "its all academic". Are you planning on doing anything about your case being struck out, or is it all just "hot air and vinegar" here on CAG, instead .......

But it would have been relevent in my claim it would further show just how negligent the solicitor was who has clearly relied on the limitation period as a means of defence which was used successfully to have a case thrown out.

Yup, academic for the PI claim as you didn't appeal the strike out of your PI claim in time.

Academic for the negligence claim against the first solicitor, as you haven't (from what you have, and indeed, haven't posted) appealed that. You are likely out of time there too, and each passing day makes any application for extension of the time allowed less likely.....

Say what?.

You are confusing s.33, the solicitor's evidence, and "proof". As ever.

That, and / or you are spouting gibberish again. Since you never try and justify what you are saying, it is so hard to tell if you are just wrong, confused or irrationa;.

I doubt they said that, and if they did say it, they are wrong. Not because I say so, but because the Court of Appeal says so. Cite above, LJ Jackson's comments, in Sayers.

Its not a formality, it is a "burden on the claimant".

But, your returning to S33 is a 'red herring'. It isn't useful to you as a valid grounds of appeal, as

a) you are wrong about it, and

b) as GM has said, it wouldn't have been the correct way forward anyway.

Yup.

The thing is, you persist in your delusions.

If you actually tried explaining why you believe what you believe, the flaw in your logic could be explained to you, but you don't. You don't try and justify your belief, at least not with any comprehensible reasoned argument, so, all you do is repeat the same tired delusions.

But, returning to "its all academic". Are you planning on doing anything about your case being struck out, or is it all just "hot air and vinegar" here on CAG, instead .......

I honestly believe the case and the circumstances are now to far advanced for the same local DJ to decide whether there is a case or not.

What do you think?

But it would have been relevent in my claim it would further show just how negligent the solicitor was who has clearly relied on the limitation period as a means of defence which was used successfully to have a case thrown out.

The solicitor is correct.

Your negligence claim regarding the limitation period has no merit whatsoever.

By the time you instructed the solicitors your claim had already been issued by you and struck out with no appeal of the strike out made.

Even if you hadn't already issued and been struck out then your PI claim was already statute barred in any event. So again no negligence on behalf of your solicitor.

You were also told this in writing by the solicitor.

So based on the above your poorly pleaded claim was correctly struck out for having no merit and no reasonable prospects of success.

The posters here disagree. Not one person has agreed with you.

More importantly, the judge disagreed. Your case was struck out.

If you believe they "erred in law" ; appeal it. Bet you haven't, and won't.

a) because you'd be wrong, and lose (even if you were given permission to appeal)

b) because even if you were right, you can't seem to state your legal arguments clearly, logically and concisely. That alone would risk you loosing at appeal, but you being "just plain wrong" is just another nail in that particular coffin.

I honestly believe the case and the circumstances are now to far advanced for the same local DJ to decide whether there is a case or not.

What do you think?

I think that there is no case, while it is struck out.

I think that had you appealed the strike out, the appeal wouldn't have been heard by that (or any other) District Judge, but by a Circuit Judge.

So (and not for the first time!) it isn't clear what point you are trying to make.

The case was suitable for disposal by a District Judge. If you wanted to appeal the strike out of your PI claim, on the basis the DJ was the wrong person to deal with it, or that the strike out was erroneous, you could have.

But you haven't have you?. Else you'd have posted your appeal documentation, and not still been asking about grounds for the appeal now, after the deadline has passed.

The solicitor is correct.

Your negligence claim regarding the limitation period has no merit whatsoever.

By the time you instructed the solicitors your claim had already been issued by you and struck out with no appeal of the strike out made.

Even if you hadn't already issued and been struck out then your PI claim was already statute barred in any event. So again no negligence on behalf of your solicitor.

You were also told this in writing by the solicitor.

So based on the above your poorly pleaded claim was correctly struck out for having no merit and no reasonable prospects of success.

Of course it had merit, the solicitor as well as applying for an injunction could have applied for a Section 33 as their evidence clearly would suggest.

Add to that the solicitor could have also appealed the strike out claim which would not have been subject to any limitation periods that is three applications missed and probably because there was no funding nor a legitimate contract for the solicitor to make one application to the Court let alone make three.

He just was not interested in working for the profit which he will have to pay back because that is public funding that would have been more better served on the old or the vulnerable rather than being sat in some two bob solicitors bank account who has the morals of a water rat.

I think that there is no case, while it is struck out.

I think that had you appealed the strike out, the appeal wouldn't have been heard by that (or any other) District Judge, but by a Circuit Judge.

So (and not for the first time!) it isn't clear what point you are trying to make.

The case was suitable for disposal by a District Judge. If you wanted to appeal the strike out of your PI claim, on the basis the DJ was the wrong person to deal with it, or that the strike out was erroneous, you could have.

But you haven't have you?. Else you'd have posted your appeal documentation, and not still been asking about grounds for the appeal now, after the deadline has passed.

Had?

Permission to appeal?

Who should be considering?, what level of judge?

Had?

Permission to appeal?

Who should be considering?, what level of judge?

And is that right i have never posted up any grounds for appeal on here?

Are you sure of that?

Think you will find that and not for the first time you have convinced yourself that because you believe in that it must be true.

Or are you bluffing like the solicitor who laid claim to representing me.

Legal Aid, anyone know the rules on claiming for work done?

Seems to be a topic that no-one seems to know the answers too.

Or maybe they know the answers but have reasons not to post ; maybe they don't want to get into an argument (rather than a discussion), or have seen how you treat people who answer with answers that aren't what you want to hear.

Deciding that people don't know the answer rather than know and aren't posting (for whatever reason) is another "logical step too far".

And is that right i have never posted up any grounds for appeal on here?

Are you sure of that?

Think you will find that and not for the first time you have convinced yourself that because you believe in that it must be true.

Or are you bluffing like the solicitor who laid claim to representing me.

You've posted what you think could be valid grounds of appeal : who else believes they are valid?.

You haven't posted the details of any actual appeal application.

Considering what?

You tell me.

You have had an answer for everything else that would remotely show that i was wrong but everyone else was right and i would include you in that little circle.

Had?

Permission to appeal?

Who should be considering? what level of judge?

Time to close this...? Then you can assist other posters ?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2661 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks