• Tweets

• Any update here?  I ask as we have others now taking on CPM.
    • I am sorry about getting your status mixed up.  I have noticed one thing in your excellent WS. On their claim they are only pursuing you as the keeper-I think it is  in their Point C that  states along the lines of -the driver did not pay , so the keeper is liable. So on your No keeper Liability section  You may prefer  to alter 13 to    . It is trite Law that the driver and the keeper cannot be regarded  as the same person and the claimant has failed to offer any proof who was driving.  BY  only pursuing the keeper  when the PCN does not comply with PoFA must mean that their claim fails. See what the Site team thinks as it should  stop the Judge from looking at who was driving as your statement preempts them from even thinking about it.
    • What would suffice as proof? I just emailed them back my date of birth. Should I send a copy of driving licence? 
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Northampton   MCOL Northampton N1 ? Manual Claim CCMCC (Salford) ? New beta WWW.MONEYCLAIMS.SERVICE.GOV.UK ?   If possible please scan redact and upload a full page copy of page 1 of the claim form.   This has been uploaded in my previous messages in the bundle of documents     Name of the Claimant ? Asset Link Capital (NO5) Limited   How many defendant's  joint or self ? Self   Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to./   14/02/2020   ^^^^^ NOTE : WHEN CALCULATING THE TIMELINE - PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE DATE ON THE CLAIMFORM IS ONE IN THE COUNT [example: Issue date 01.03.2014 + 19 days (5 days for service + 14 days to acknowledge) = 19.03.2014 + 14 days to submit defence = 02.04.2014] = 33 days in total Not relevant as his claim was set aside, and has now been brought to the court again by the claimant       Particulars of Claim   What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? Please see bundle of documents in previous thread   What is the total value of the claim? £10,734.1    Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? No   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred?  Yes - this is one of the grounds for getting it set aside   Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? No Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Credit Card   When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ?  Apparently 2000   Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? I do not recall entering into an agreement with Barclays   Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ?  It was, but it is not anymore   Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Assigned to Asset Link   Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? No - although they have provided a copy of the assignment notice in their bundle of docs for the hearing   Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? I don't remember - but again a copy of a letter has been provided (see bundle on previous thread)   Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ?  No    Why did you cease payments?  2015   What was the date of your last payment? December 2015   Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved?  I wrote to Barclaycard back in 2015 to ask them to send proof of the original agreement but they just sent me a reconstituted document which had no personal deals on relating to me   Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? yes - step change took control and set up payments of £1 pm
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lending to an ex

Lokur
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey,

I lent money to my ex over a period of time which she has been repaying.However once we broke up the repayments became irregular, and now have ceased all together.

She borrowed in the area of £3k and have repaid about £0.8k. The loans was through a mix of transfers to her account, I paid for a coat for her that she wanted, and I also paid for my own birthday present that she was repaying towards and for a holiday we went on together all with the agreement that she will repay me.

She states that if I take her to court she will just say it was all presents and refuse it, says she will pay it back eventually but when she feels like it and can afford it.

What should I do? It's now been over a month with no payments.-L

Edited by maroondevo52
formatting

You might be able to convince the judge that a transfer to her account should be treated as a loan. The judge would have to decide whether, on a balance of probabilities, he thinks it is more likely that the transfer was a loan or a gift.

However, unless you have anything in writing, it will be extremely difficult to convince the judge that the coat or holiday was intended as a loan. These items are not normally repaid by girlfriends/boyfriends.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Particulars of Claim The claimant lent ******* £3,246

over a period of 2 years,the respondent haverepaid £960

of the outstanding amount and hasceased all payments as of 07/03/2015.

I have followed the pre action protocols andthe respondent

have refused to pay anyfurther and are threatening criminal chargesof harassment if the claimant

contact therespondent regarding this debt anyfurther.

The claimant has calculated the following

Outstanding debt: £2,286

Court costs of £105

Interest of £151.87 (to 20/04/2015)

The claimant claims interest under section 69of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of8% a year from 01/02/2013 to 20/04/2015 on£2,286.00 and also interest at the same rateup to the date of judgment or earlier paymentat a daily rate of £0.53.

I have nearly everything in writing, via email correspondence and texts. She has also labeled each repayment with things like payment for loan etc. I've kept track of the dates a loan was made, and when it was repaid and the dates of transactions etc.

Have you sent a letter to her asking for payment, if so, did you keep a copy ?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Sorry, looks like we both posted at the same time

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Have you sent a letter to her asking for payment, if so, did you keep a copy ?

I've sent emails, and I have copies. I also sent a letter before action that I have copy of which was 2 weeks ago. That she didnt respond to.

I had a phone call today from the police stating that I'm not allowed to contact her as this could escalate into an harassment offense. Nothing I've sent have been harassing or aggressive. But it leaves me no other option but to pursue this through the court.

You might be able to convince the judge that a transfer to her account should be treated as a loan. The judge would have to decide whether, on a balance of probabilities, he thinks it is more likely that the transfer was a loan or a gift.

However, unless you have anything in writing, it will be extremely difficult to convince the judge that the coat or holiday was intended as a loan. These items are not normally repaid by girlfriends/boyfriends.

The cash transfers are all labeled with Loan, and the agreement to pay half for the holiday etc I have emails and communication showing the persons agreement to.

If you have 100% proof of what you say and she agreed the money was a loan and not just gifts, then since you have given her a 14 day LBA, get court papers in asap. Bear in mind that the decision will reside with the judge at the end of the day, and they may see it as gifts, especially the holiday one that you all went on together. Thats why full paperwork is very important.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I have emails with admittance of debtAll cash transactions have been labeled LoanI have repayments from her regarding holiday labeled with the destinationI dont have a signed agreement but I think the above should be enoughI've just filed a claim with MCOL, in the end £105 to possibly get back my £2.2k is a risk i'm willing to take.

Alright then, good luck. I'm still a bit sceptical about claiming for the coat/holiday, but perhaps worth a go if there is email correspondence referring to that being a loan. It is certainly worth a go if the bank transfer was labelled 'loan' and there is email evidence to indicate that it was agreed, at the time, that this was loan.

I think your approach is absolutely right. If your ex has tried to use the police to claim harassment, it is important that you do not try to talk to her by telephone about this. Simply keep everything about the court proceedings in writing and always keep a copy, so that you have a clear written record of what has happened if she tries to claim anything funny in future.

• 3 weeks later...

She has offered me an acceptable settlement, and I'd prefer that over going to court.I spoke to the MCOL helpdesk and they say we can set up an informal agreement which if defaulted will lead to a judgement.Could someone walk me through the process as the lady on the phone wasn't all that helpful on the details just referring me to the mcol website.

The lady on the phone wasn't helpful because she's not legally trained and is not allowed to give legal advice and probably went beyond what she's allowed to tell you trying to help.

Anyway, she's referring to a Tomlin Order. If you search the forum you'll find plenty of examples. There is a £50 fee to get the Court to approve it though.

It's great to hear that you've managed to settle.

A Tomlin Order is the clearest way to do it. But you can avoid the fee for that if you just get your ex to confirm the agreement in a short email or a letter - you would then simply withdraw the claim once you have received the money.

I think I have to do a Tomlin Order. As she wants to pay it back in installments of £100 on a bi-weekly basis.

I Found a template that I used, and wrote out a Tomlin order:

UPON THE PARTIES HAVING SETTLED THEIR DISPUTE BY MEDIATION ON IT IS AGREED THAT:

1. XXXX shall pay XXXX the sum of XXXX by way of bank transfer on a bi-weekly basis of £100 instalments starting the 15th of May 2015.

2. The sum referred to in paragraph 1 is paid and received in full and final settlement of all between XXXXX and XXXXX, including interest and cost.

3. The contents of this agreement shall stay confidential between the two parties.

4. If the agreement is breeched by the respondent, it’s agreed that the original claim shall come into effect.

6. The Tomlin Order forms part of this settlement agreement. XXXXXX will file this Tomlin Order with xxxxxxx County Court by 22/05/2015.

She is still negotiating slightly on the full amount but we're so close in money terms it's not a problem really.Anything else I should include?

Also does paragraph 4 mean that if she defaults on the tomlin order, the full £2.4k would be payable and not just the agreed Tomlin settlement?

Delete the reference to mediation, it doesn't sound like you used a mediator.

On paragraph 2 'costs' not 'cost'.

You need to specify the total amount that needs to be paid.

I don't understand what point 4 means. The words 'the original claim shall come into effect' are not clear, although they appear to suggest that the original claim would then be resurrected and go to trial if the Tomlin Order is breached - which would be a bit strange.

I would suggest deleting point 4 entirely and replacing it with either 'Each party shall have permission to apply to the Court to enforce those terms without the need to bring a new claim.'

You can also add 'If the Defendant fails to pay any of the agreed instalments on their due date, the agreed amount of xxx shall become immediately due and payable'.

You don't need paragraph 6.

I think I have to do a Tomlin Order. As she wants to pay it back in installments of £100 on a bi-weekly basis.

I Found a template that I used, and wrote out a Tomlin order:

UPON THE PARTIES HAVING SETTLED THEIR DISPUTE BY MEDIATION ON IT IS AGREED THAT:

1. XXXX shall pay XXXX the sum of XXXX by way of bank transfer on a bi-weekly basis of £100 instalments starting the 15th of May 2015.

2. The sum referred to in paragraph 1 is paid and received in full and final settlement of all between XXXXX and XXXXX, including interest and cost.

3. The contents of this agreement shall stay confidential between the two parties.

4. If the agreement is breeched by the respondent, it’s agreed that the original claim shall come into effect.

6. The Tomlin Order forms part of this settlement agreement. XXXXXX will file this Tomlin Order with xxxxxxx County Court by 22/05/2015.

She is still negotiating slightly on the full amount but we're so close in money terms it's not a problem really.Anything else I should include?

Also does paragraph 4 mean that if she defaults on the tomlin order, the full £2.4k would be payable and not just the agreed Tomlin settlement?

My inquisitive side wonders what was in paragraph 5 that got deleted (as it jumps from '4' to '6')

Paragraph 4 was meant to be that the claimaint could apply to have the full amount owed £2391 as a judgement if the respondent failed to deliver on their agreed Tomlin Order of £1,700.Is that not possible on a Tomlin?

I don't think you'd need to say 'apply for judgment'. The Tomlin Order is itself a binding court order. I think the Tomlin Order itself should simply say something like that if payment is not made on X date, the Defendant will pay 2391 forthwith.

There is no Respondent here - only a Defendant.

Given the installment arrangement, the Tomlin Order would need to be very specific about when liability to pay the full amount is triggered. It can't be ambiguous. For example, if one installment is one day late, does that trigger liability to pay the full amount immediately? Or is there a grace period? Consider providing for a 7 day grace period on each payment and/or for at least 2 or 3 payments to be late, before liability for the full amount is triggered.

All that needs is a simple 2 page Tom Order that's in proper court format. The first page headed Tomlin Order and say something along the lines of:

Upon agreement having been reached between the Claimant and the Defendant for settlement of the issues in this action.

By consent it is ordered that:-

1. All further proceedings in this action be stayed exept for the purpose of implementing the agreed terms set out in the attached shedule.

2. No order as to costs.

The second page to be headed SHEDULE detailing the agreed terms. End the last numbered paragraph with the words: Liberty to apply.

THE SCHEDULE

MADE ON 12/05/2015 BETWEEN

(a) Mr XX of XX and

(b) Ms XXof XX

UPON THE PARTIES HAVING SETTLED THEIR DISPUTE BY NEGOTIATION ON 12/05/2015

BY CONSENT IT IS ORDERED THAT:

1. XX shall pay XX the sum of £1,700 by way of bank transfer on a bi-weekly basis of £100 instalments starting the 22nd of May 2015.

2. The sum referred to in paragraph 1 is paid and received in full and final settlement of all between XX and XX, including interest and cost.

3. The contents of this agreement shall stay confidential between the parties.

4. If a payment is missed by more than 7 days the defendant will pay £2,391 forthwith less any payments made under this agreement, in addition any statutory interest accrued since 21/05/2015 is payable forthwith.

5. Liberty to Apply.

I feel I'm being very lenient here, as she actually forgot to acknowledge service and I could apply for a default judgement. But she does live 5 minutes away, so things could become akward. I also agreed to this before I knew she had forgotten to acknowledge service so I feel it would be wrong to now backtrack.

• 9 months later...

Just an update on this, she has paid nearly half the owed amount.I think the remainder is £1200 or so I would have to check my records, however she missed another payment today. Ontop of about 4 missed ones last year. The ones last year I know the reasons for and have been cool about.However I was told today that she is not paying today, shifting the payment till next Friday. I wish to apply for the Tomlin to be enforced. Is there any pitfalls, anything that could get it thrown out? The court edited the tomlin slightly, so i'll get a scanned copy done and posted here as well just in case.

As per the Tomlin Order you posted, you can apply for the remainder of the full 2,391 to be paid immediately, if a payment is more than 7 days late. You would do this using form N244.

If a payment due this Friday is paid next Friday, it is not more than 7 days late so wouldn't be enough to trigger further enforcement of the order.