PIP claim /DLA renewal

fletch70
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2540 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just had my PIP claim form for my DLA renewal . I am looking for guidance on completion, found some on FB . It seems so wrong that they have made it so much more difficult to fill out the form, DLA could be filled out online which gave you the chance to edit and think about it.

Anyway since my claim for DLA my health issues have altered somewhat , my MH has improved but my physical health which was fine has become a little challenging

The PIP claim form seems so very restricting

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There should be some information on MIND about PIP. Also, there should be some sort of extra information box - so if your situation doesn't fit within the boxes / questions, you can always put the information there.

If you have to add extra sheets, ensure every sheet has your name, address, DOB and NI number on it.

From my experience of working as a Welfare Rights Officer I find the best way to approach the PIP form is firstly to have a good look at the activities and descriptors. Then you may well find that you can easily identify where you'll score points and therefore can answer the questions accordingly. Unfortunately, there is a knack to doing it and experience helps. All too often I represent people who've basically made a pig's ear of their forms and have to go through the process of mandatory reconsideration, appeal and tribunal just to get what they deserve. If you are really worried about filling in the form go to your local CAB and make an appointment to see a WRO. Hope this helps, but if you need more specific advice please yell.

As I say focus on the activities and descriptors. And don't forget to note down what might seem like small things like using a dosette box (1 point) for your medication or if someone reminds you to take it (2 points), if either of these apply, for example. And good luck.

Hi

I agree with what you think is nothing but can get you points. My husband was asked about his medication and does he need reminding to take it. He uses alarms on his phone to remind him and it scored him 2 points.

Thanks all, yes that is indeed at least one point but some pills I take with or after food and some first thing or last thing . It is sad but I often forget what pills I have already taken .

A dosette box may help as it would give you an idea of what you've taken and should score you 1 point for managing therapy. Of course if you could really do with reminding to take tablets etc you would actually score at least 2.

The help you need just has to be reasonable. You don't need to be getting the help or want it. You need to be able to repeat (and do) the activity in a reliable and safe manner. So, if you have to constantly stop, it's reasonable to suggest that you can't do the activity.

With each activity, you need to break it down in to small pieces and look at what it's really saying.

I went to see the students union welfare advice people today and with a thorough going through the guidelines there should be no problem with getting 8 points and possibly even 12. I will however believe that when I see it.

She pointed out that they hadn't sent me the guide for filling it in

• 4 weeks later...

I sent back my claim form for Pip last week. It is a FLA renewal. I got a text saying it could take 26 weeks before an appointment. Today i got a letter from capita about an appointment in 2weeks time. The appointment is at my home and i don't know why. Any advice?

Now my instinct is to clean clean clean clean as if i was having mum to visit but is that counter productive. Should i just let them see me as normal?

I've worked with quite a few clients on their PIP apps and to a person they found a home assessment far less stressful than what many of them have experienced for WCA for ESA.

Try to remember to paint a picture of how you really are. Try not to let pride get in the way of a possible award.

Remember, if it comes to it, what you say at the assessment will form the basis of the argument later on if you need to seek mandatory reconsideration/appeal.

I'd also advocate yes or no answers on the whole. And try to say things like 'All my days are bad, some are worse however' and 'Whatever distance I walk I am in considerable discomfort.'

And if poss have a friend there with you for moral support.

If you have any home adaptations, although they will have a copy of your paperwork where these are listed, remember to inform the assessor so that they can view these if they want to.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Thanks for the advice guys. As said before my mobility is actually ok it is generally my MH that is the problem although there are now some physical problems as well, the worst being some (at times) pretty serious IBS. Of course some of this could be side effects of medication but I do not know.

I started a Uni course in Sept and the class size is 20, to be honest while I could cope with 20 strangers then I could not now and even being in the class when we are doing seminar work can be quite distressing ,

I do not know if I should even bring up the Uni course unless asked. I usually get home about 2.30 and by 3 I am in bed until 6 ish, only then can I get moving.

The amount of pills I take is an issue so I use boxes to manage them , I even have a special box in my coat pocket with the basic pills in so that if I forget to take them before I leave I have some with me (Metformin, diazepam, propanolol and pills for IBS) My anti depressants and sleeping pills I take at night so that is ok

I have been assessed for DSA which will hopefully pay for some recording software for lectures and taxi's when my IBS is playing up

As some will know I am also a compulsive gambler which for 3 years was under control but since the end of the first term has come back with a vengence, so much so that my sister has my bank card for the account that takes student finance and from there pays me £100 PW to cover my costs.

I really have no idea how to approach this. I know that in comparison to many I am fine

I would go through the criteria and work out where you think you should score points. From there write down a sentence or two saying why you think you meet that criteria, ideally with some examples.

E.g. I need help to remember to take tablets because otherwise I forget to take them or forget I've already taken them and take some more. My daughter sorts my pills into the daily boxes for me, gives me the right box for each day and regularly checks throughout the day that I have taken them. Recently when my daughter was away for the day and my son was looking after me, he forgot to check that I'd taken my pills and when my daughter got back there was one set left over. Luckily this was not something crucial. I have accidentally taken too many pain killers during the night because I forgot that I'd already taken some. I had to be admitted to hospital for monitoring as a result.

When you have the assessment, don't be afraid to refer to your notes and make sure you've mentioned everything on your list. You could even give the assessor a copy.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

What a complete **** up. No one turned up and it seems that the HCP wasn't working today. So after a letter , a txt and two phone calls they couldn't be arsed. For someone with documented anxiety that is just so effing clever. I have wasted a whole day .

Anyway I have emailed a complaint and copied in my M.P. suggesting he tells IDS to stop living in lala land

Of course , the next convenient appointment is 5th march which happens to be my half century. It is the only day I am off Uni. It was Capita

As I said the guy on the phone was very helpful and very nice, I am afraid he got my frustration

Having experienced something similar myself, I understand your frustration. You get yourself all prepared and then they don't turn up. ATOS did that to me so many times that I lost count.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.