Council tax and Student

hessey50
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son is a full time university student and as such an "unperson" re council tax,  lived at home till recently moved out but may return later depending on his study path all the time to date he has been a full time student.

Despite to their knowledge my only getting pension income I get an annual "check" form the Council who have got very excited as to exactly what date he left  stopping benefit  though now reissued,

A long time ago I seem to remember a case re having not promptly advised housing benefit of something that made no difference as in this case: not a counted adult as a student and not a counted adult as not there and if he returned would still be not counted I would simply send them the usual Council Tax form from the uni.

He get a tuition fees loan and has access to student loan funding, they clearly have accessed his bank or tax records after they were informed he wasn't at my address

Anyone remember or have thoughts on this?

4 hours ago, hessey50 said:

they clearly have accessed to his bank or tax records after they were informed he wasn't at my address

nope 'they' dont have access , however he had to fill out forms when applying for uni and his halls/digs/residency whilst at uni to prove he is exempt from ctax there.?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No he didnt

he merely got a university exemption student number that the local council accepted as him being a full time student 

I provided this to them and that was that, 

He had documentation that he was not liable, I stated he was living with me and yes they do, I worked for the local council and they did.

its not he has to provide a landlords address,  its he has to provide status as exempt to landlord or parents once post 18 and electoral role after 16, despite them not having a vote.

Edited by dx100uk
tried to add some punctuation!! and sentence/line spacing

please try and remember to use punctuation and sentence spacing, its very difficult to understand your posts if they are one block of text, with zero sentences and punctuation. this is not facebook

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes councils have access to different data and they ask questions to assess entitlement changes.

What is the question you are needing an answer for?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi I seemed to remember some time ago there was a case where the Council tried to prosecute a claimant for not telling them of a non relevant change which made no difference to the claim.

I wondered if anyone remembered it?

If you are not happy with any organisation, you should register a complaint and ask the questions you want answered.  

Change only happens if enough people complain about problems they experience. Even if they don't receive the outcome they want, the number of complaints received is recorded.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread