Bad landlord causes Pneumonia?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3461 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, and thanks in advance for any help.

I have been having issues with my useless landlord for a while now. He's very hesitant to carry out any repairs, and eventually, when /if done, are to a very poor standard.

For a year I have been asking him to sort out damp issues, drafty windows, broken back door.

Now it has all come to a head. My 8 year old son has been hospitalised with pneumonia.

All of a sudden, he wants to get all the work done. Too little too late in my eyes.

I am wondering if I have grounds to sue him for causing this health problem with my son?

Any advice would be well welcomed.

Many Thanks

I would say you should speak to someone at your Local Authority regarding Health and Safety.

It might be an idea to see if either your GP or the hospital consultant will confirm that your son's poor health is due to the conditions you mention.

I hope he recovers soon.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Take lots of good quality Pics/video of all the problems. Wish your son well from us here, please do update the thread.

Many thanks. I have environmental health coming round next week, and one of the first thing the doctor asked is, has this child been exposed to damp conditions?

Thanks again. Another thing that happened this week. The boiler packed in and he expected us to wait 5 days for his engineer to come round.

I insisted that another one be used. I think I know why he was so keen to get his guy around. The engineer who came was alarmed at the standard of installation and maintenance of the boiler, and has pointed out several points that need addressing.

Add that to the other issues. Write a detailed letter once Environmental Health have called. Send it Recorded Delivery.

Thanks again. Another thing that happened this week. The boiler packed in and he expected us to wait 5 days for his engineer to come round.

I insisted that another one be used. I think I know why he was so keen to get his guy around. The engineer who came was alarmed at the standard of installation and maintenance of the boiler, and has pointed out several points that need addressing.

Will do. I've been at this property for 3 years, it's in a posh area, and the owner likes to think of himself as something special. I'm looking forward to shaming him. I also forgot to add that the Letting Agent is just as bad. he pussy foots around the owner, like nobody's business.

I'd also like to add that 2 years ago, due to a leak that they let get worse and worse for 3 months, a fire broke out in the attic. Absolute cowboy.

Does anyone know if I'd have grounds to sue?

Don't bother with cost of recorded delivery, just send First Class and obtain free Cert of Posting from PO counter when handing over letter.

How do you notify LL of problems?

Is damp penetrating damp or caused by condensation?

Do you have a current GSC? When is next one due?

When was property built?

EHO/TRO is best placed to advise on damp when he inspects. He could issue LL with an Improvement Notice or even declare property 'unfit for habitation'

Suing LL for compensation could be expensive.

Given so many problems, why have you not found alt accom yet?

you can take court action on anything, but best to get problems sorted.

If you do you may get a S21, however the law may be changed so they cant chuck you out if you complain, but not yet.

best to leave it till you leave as long as you have it all recorded in some way, letters, emails etc. and their response or lack of.

make sure anybody working on your boiler is gas safe registered; have you got a gas safe certificate for the property.

30 odd years in the "building game"... Some was private works but most was insurance or letting agents.

Times have changed over the years.

They used to say "a compertant person".

Now the "engineer" needs to have a certificate ( and quite rightly so) to carry out any "works / alterations".

Carbon monoxide can and has killed.

This can be omitted by Gas ,Oil or Solid fuel units.

I'm retired now but the 18 staff I had all needed the correct qualifications for the job. ....

Be it Portable Appliance Testing (PAT test).

Gas Safety Check (GSC)

The list is "endless"

your best bet is to contact the local "Enviromental Health" Dept.

Keep the report from the oil engineer.