• Tweets

• Which Court have you received the claim from ? Northampton   MCOL Northampton N1 ? Manual Claim CCMCC (Salford) ? New beta WWW.MONEYCLAIMS.SERVICE.GOV.UK ?   If possible please scan redact and upload a full page copy of page 1 of the claim form.   This has been uploaded in my previous messages in the bundle of documents     Name of the Claimant ? Asset Link Capital (NO5) Limited   How many defendant's  joint or self ? Self   Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to./   14/02/2020   ^^^^^ NOTE : WHEN CALCULATING THE TIMELINE - PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE DATE ON THE CLAIMFORM IS ONE IN THE COUNT [example: Issue date 01.03.2014 + 19 days (5 days for service + 14 days to acknowledge) = 19.03.2014 + 14 days to submit defence = 02.04.2014] = 33 days in total Not relevant as his claim was set aside, and has now been brought to the court again by the claimant       Particulars of Claim   What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? Please see bundle of documents in previous thread   What is the total value of the claim? £10,734.1    Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? No   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred?  Yes - this is one of the grounds for getting it set aside   Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? No Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Credit Card   When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ?  Apparently 2000   Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? I do not recall entering into an agreement with Barclays   Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ?  It was, but it is not anymore   Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Assigned to Asset Link   Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? No - although they have provided a copy of the assignment notice in their bundle of docs for the hearing   Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? I don't remember - but again a copy of a letter has been provided (see bundle on previous thread)   Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ?  No    Why did you cease payments?  2015   What was the date of your last payment? December 2015   Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved?  I wrote to Barclaycard back in 2015 to ask them to send proof of the original agreement but they just sent me a reconstituted document which had no personal deals on relating to me   Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? yes - step change took control and set up payments of £1 pm
    • I have had no such luck getting the tickets cancelled. So more help would be greatly appreciated. I have debt recovery letters now. I guess I ignore these and only respond when there is court proceedings?
    • On MCOL there are 2 times the case stay is lifted. Once between filing the defence and them submitting a DQ, and then again between them submitting the DQ and the court issuing one to the defendant.   Is that normal or is there anything I should be aware of?   Thanks as always 
    • It's difficult to advise what to do because there are so many ifs and buts. In the majority of cases where a PPC start a court claim they go all the way to the final hearing. However, in a minority of cases, and by no means a tiny minority, they have no real intention of going all the way to a final hearing. They know their case is rubbish and they know it will cost them a hefty wad to send a solicitor to court (remember solicitors' costs are capped at £50 at small claims).  They pretend they are going all the way to court to intimidate the motorist into giving in.  Yes, the pretence often includes paying the hearing fee.  Yes, UKPC often do this.  And no, they haven't produced a WS (so far). I suppose it depends on how much you have spent on flights (and accommodation?) and if this is refundable v the approx £250 at stake if you lose the case.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Water resale dispute - PLEASE READ

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3693 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Desperate for advice

This is somewhat complex but THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR READING. Please advise as this making me so unwell.

I rent a flat which is owned privately, it is managed on behalf of the owner by an agent. The flat is 2 bed and is in a multi complex unit managed by a temporary debt recovery firm.

My tenancy commenced 2009. I was advised and have proof that I was going to be linked by the agent, to all utility companies. This was successful with Gas and Electricity but I soon learned that water was indeed privatised and known as resale. I did not agree to this and my concern was supported when bills were finally issued. I took dispute with the billing procedure as it had no consistency – often 8-10 months between invoices and they were not itemised in terms of meter readings or unit costs or how the breakdown in costs were achieved. I have a water metre which is located outside of the flat, the key to which I was told only last year is my front door key.

I contacted the previous management of the complex and there began my ongoing dispute. I will make clear that until 2012 I paid all bills for which I have receipts.

In June 2012 the new management company took over due to the bankruptcy of the previous owner and through my diligence in pursuing lawful billing, I became aware that the previous company left owing SW water £10,000.00 in debt. I later learnt that the bank to which I paid my bills was the private account of the then owner. I accept that this does not affect me in that the debt was written off by SW Water but I stated in an email to the new company that I wanted, as I had been mid dispute, to have all future bills detail when readings were taken, how the charges are met, unit costs/any administration costs etc. I have emails evidencing all the above.

On January 25th 2013 an invoice was finally sent to the owner of the property, this was sent then to the letting agent who finally forwarded it to me in March. I must make clear at this point that bill is in the name of the flat’s owner but of course under tenancy agreement I am responsible.

The invoice was dated for the period of 19/06/2012 – 28/12/2012. The balance due as stated on the invoice was for £346.88p. No meter readings as requested, no breakdown in costs, nothing but a sum total. I paid the management company of the complex as the bill was issued by them and it was them with whom I had raised my concerns, as providers. I set up an arrangement to pay instalments of £65 per month as of April and paid x 3 instalments plus 1 ad hoc payment of £35.96p in total £577.84p. Meanwhile I pursued with my request – itemised bills. The management company of the complex clearly became frustrated with this as they contacted me end of July 2013 to say that they were returning the full payment and that they would not correspond with me further as I am not the owner of the property.

They emailed this with written confirmation that until this date my bill was £577.84 they refunded the amount in full. I contacted the letting agent who until that time remained uninterested and obstructive – ‘You’re the tenant just pay’. I advised them that I could not make payment to the complex and that I would pay the letting agent which was agreed but I maintained that I wanted lawful billing asking – would you pay any sum placed before you not knowing how that sum was achieved?

Many emails exchanged which have been incredibly stressful, I am currently on S/L due to depression and it has taken me a week or more to face this next stage. I’m exhausted. The letting agency were finally in receipt of breakdown in costs, in January 2014 I receive my first itemised bill £1449.49 the breakdown in costs runs into difficulty when the reading for the period of 19/06/2012 – 18/12/2012 (some 10 days difference to original) £97.28p more?

Interesting though to note that they go on to state in emails between the letting agent and the management of the complex (email I believe linked to me in error) that my overall bill for Water and Sewerage would have been £2,403.87 since 2009 how do they reach this figure without record of accounts (which they say in email they do not hold) and if it is for the period of the commencement of tenancy, that would mean an average yearly bill of £480.6p which falls in line with the average yearly bill for South West Water and Sewerage usage based on a household that is metered as quoted by OFWAT and the water consumer counsel. I would accept this.

So how do they suggest that since June 2012 - June 2013 I owe £1074.61 twice above the average yearly use? I believe my bills to be excessive – they average £95 per month?

I ask this but the representative at the letting agency sits in as judge and jury and vets my concerns asking ‘more proof more evidence’ He bullies and belittles me, he sends emails that frustrate me as I am unable to communicate with any other person – It appears he has made this personal now asking that I pay £140 to credit check my daughter who has been living at the property since the start of tenancy – they knew this. I have 14 days to comply.

The current situation is I am stating to my letting agent that as I have evidence that until July 2013 my bill was paid in total, I will await an invoice from that period to present day. ‘NO’. I stated that I had met my contractual obligation and cannot be responsible for the management complex now saying that they made a ‘clerical error’ and that I am to pay the sum in total with immediate effect. I have paid the £577.68 and am currently told by the letting agency agent that he will not forward my concerns. The letting agent states that I do not have a case, he is the manager of finance and in my opinion not in a position to judge what is communicated or not to the providers.

I understand this is a bit complex and I have tried my best to explain it but as I said I am currently unwell and this only serves to cause me great distress – I have a folder of emails proving the inconsistency of figures. Finally, I have been to CAB they advise civil case, I had an appointment with a solicitor who advised that it may not be cost effective to have legal advice due to costs. I am a single parent, working but lone responsibility for all outgoings.

Many thanks for your time if you have read this, feels somewhat reassuring as I already feel less alone.

Edited by citizenB
spacing to make reading easier :)

Can I just clarify that your water/sewage bills are sent to the Letting Agent/Landlord and they pay them - and then recover the amount from you ?

You are entitled to properly itemised bills - I wonder if a Subject Access Request to them would provide you with the information you request (are entitled to)?

Have you spoken to other tenants in the complex to see if they are having similar issues regarding this ?

I will try and find others on the site team that might be able to help further.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Citizen B

Many thanks for your swift reply. The water/sewerage bills are sent direct to the owner of the property. The owner then sends them to the letting agent who then send them to me. I have no understanding of the owners views as I am not able to explore this. I am aware that other tenants in the complex hold concern as I did have a note pushed under my door as did a neighbour. This tenant has subsequently left the complex. My neighbour paid the bill as she couldn't cope with the stress. It has taken since 2012 to get the itemised bill but my concern more greatly is that the bill issued now under my on-going requests differs to that of the original. The correspondence is so conflicting - one email states one thing, another a separate amount. I even had correspondence from the managers of the complex that stated that the overall sum included ground rent for which I am not responsible.

As a back up plan, you might want to have a word with Shelter

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting

Call Shelter’s free housing advice helpline on

0808 800 4444.

Shelter's helpline is open 8am–8pm on weekdays and 8am–5pm on weekends, 365 days a year.

Calls are free from mobile phones and UK landlines.

They dont just deal with homeless situations and have advisors who can help with associated problems in private renting :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you, I intend to see shelter. I am just so exhausted with this. Sounds dramatic but it has been such a journey and one which I must persevere as it feels like me against the 'Big Guy's'. It is wrong, I feel it is wrong, I see from correspondence it is wrong but I am making little if any progress. I look forward to sleeping well, absent of this hanging over me. The letting agent is so obstructive and simply quotes tenancy obligation - it is of no concern to him that I am being charged twice the average yearly costs and indeed that the paper trail is so inaccurate that I don't know if I'm going mad? Am I right? it's frustrating. Thank you though, it's a comfort to know that people are taking the time to read or even advise me on this. It's very kind.

Plodder Tom

Thank you for the attachments. I have read resale OFWAT and emailed the consumer council. The advice suggests informing the provider of your concerns, I am unable to do this as stated as of July 2013. The provider (the management company) declined to correspond with me and thus I was left with the only point of contact being the letting agent who doesn't care for my concerns and would appear intent on bullying me to pay. I do believe that if the paperwork received July 2013 states that to that date, all money paid (for the bill in total) would be returned, I would pay that bill as obligated, which I did, and await invoice as of August 2013 to date. Am I responsible for the providers administrative incompetence?. Thank you for your time Tom, much appreciated.

Can I clarify, your post states you have access to your meter?

Ongoing this should assist with working out whether future bills are accurate by taking and recording your own meter readings (weekly would be good)

This will give you a consumption figure and unit costs and standing charges are usually on the Water Companies website or you can just ring and ask them.

Water charges will be cubic meters used x the unit cost

Wastewater is based on 92.5% of the water usage x unit cost (in my area) then add it all together with the standing charges.

Don't see any data protection issues in fact asking the water company for historic meter reads then working out all your previous bills again using the respective unit costs which will differ year to year but again can be obtained.

Hello and thank you for your time. I do have access, the metre is located in a communal hallway. I am taking readings, I only started 2 weeks ago as my head space has been limited. I should explain that this isn't entirely due to the water situation, it is a multitude of things that leaves me quite focussed on this and little else, it's an unhealthy focus but one which needs to be resolved. I'm quite hopeful that it will be.

I have explored this site and taken time to read of the situations others face but the amazing advice that is given, it's so encouraging and I'm hopeful for the first time in a while - it's such a relief to just share this let alone receive advice... wonderful.

Hi

This link may also be of use its the Valuation Office Agency - Rent Officer Handbook - Services : Private Water and Drainage

http://www.voa.gov.uk/corporate/publications/Manuals/RentOfficerHandbook/FairRentRegistration/TenancyInformation/s-roh-services-private-water-and-drainage.html

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thank you. I will take time to read that.

Questions;

1 - Can the paperwork be challenged example - The inconsistency of figures and to whom do I write other than the letter agent? My name is not on any invoice nor will the provider correspond with me. I am under tenancy agreement to pay costs incurred to the landlord and wish to honour any debt but not be bullied into paying in full at this stage when I am not satisfied that the consumption/charges are correct or indeed that they can send inconsistent figures that suggest various sums are owed.

2 - I have paid the bill up to July 2013 and understand that I must contribute to cost incurred since. (I have had to wait until January 2014 for the invoice) I need to discuss with the letting agent a payment programme within means, any templates or letters that would suit this specifically? All I receive are emails or letters demanding payment in full. I see from other threads that water has no billing code as they are not a priority bill therefore if there is a debt, it can be treated as any other normal debt and paid in reasonable instalments - an option I have not been offered. This will demonstrate a willing to pay but will allow me time to put other helpful advice into action.

3 - Do I have to keep communication in such detail to the letting agent, as said before the agent has made this somewhat personal and is obstructive - The agent is contacting me, I received an email yesterday asking that I explain updates.

Thank you.

Please - Can anyone help me with a letter template or advise on how I word this?

I think that until this is resolved I should make an offer of monthly payment to the letting agent. He demands full settlement. I am in no position to do so but maintain that there are sufficient errors on this account to build a case for dispute. Meanwhile I am troubled by it therefore wish to make payments but don't know how to word this as I have writers block as it has been so stressful at times. I wonder if there is something I can send that protects my rights as a consumer but show's willing and responsibility.

Hi

Thank you for your post, I had thought that my thread is so dull to read that it would likely go dormant so thank you for reading!

The complex has roughly 80 flats, 2 main metres registered to South West Water - one for either block. The flats are however all metred, installed by the previous owner and one to each flat for the purpose of resale. The maintenance man reads these metres as and when and then we are passed (eventually) a bill. The bills have as I said only just been itemised after 5 years in total, 2 years with current management. I was told late last year that I can access my metre, not a great experience as it is in a cupboard with many other metres the floor of which is a wide mesh which you stand on over a car park below - I am 3 floors up but I don't like standing on it! I have started to take readings recently but remain battling the bill. The administration on behalf of the management is so scatty, I am so fed up with it.