advise on how to deal with council negligence

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3922 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi my son of 14 is sleeping downstairs in a small room. The dining room was converted into a small bedroom recommend by the council. Under the housing act the bedroom is to small to be even classed as a bedroom. Our problem is the damp and mould.

The damp is a very large coming from ceiling and walls. Windows have been left open to circulate the air but this still does not work. wallpaper has been stripped twice but the mould is also in walls. I have a 3 bed house and I have 2 girls sharing 1 room and my 7 year old son has the box room.

My eldest cant share as he older and has a disability. The council do not now what to do with me as they inspected room and stated its to small therefore either a move or loft conversion. We was told there is no money in funding for loft conversions niether is there any 4 bedroom houses available.

I'm asking for help as this has been going on for 3 years we have contacted local m.p,The local councilour and the nieghbourhood office. Ive had visits from officers and a damp inspecter but nothing was done. This is no good for my sons health as he breathing in all that damp who constantly has a bad chest and colds.

I would like to no if I can prosecute the council for negligence or breach of contract as they are not doing anything.my son is sleeping in a room which the housing act states its to small to be even classed as a bedroom therefore I can't insure my house properly and they have no money for home improvements.

Edited by citizenB

Try writing to the Council boss and bringing it to his attention, if nothing from him then make an official complaint and send it by recorded delivery, in fact send the one to the boss by recorded as well, I wouldn't trust any council further than I could throw them.

Get your GP involved as well.

Housing Act covers part of this and you should be able to get an improvement notice forced on them by the environmental dept. However, the council will not prosecute itself for allowing disrepair and overcrowding and I doubt if they will start eviction proceedings as that would force them to consider rehousing as you will be at the back of the queue again. I bet it is a problem with the material the building is construced from and little can be doen to cure the problems. Councils built a lot of substandard housing in an attempt to build as many homes as possible in a limited time back in the 60's and 70's and most anrent fit for purpose. Speak to your local councillor and get them to badger the housing dept on your behalf over the health/disability issues.

Hi

You need to make a Formal Complaint in writing. (you need to expire their complaints procedure then if still unhappy complaint to the housing ombudsman)

Give a breakdown of everything that's happened to date.

Now in your letter as for copies of the following:

1. Complaint Procedure.

2. Repairs Policy.

3. Right to Repair.

4. Copy of the Surveyors Damp Inspection Report.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Why dont you rent privately and claim HB, I don't see why this is the councils problem, you chose to have 4 children and are lucky you even have a council property, Might sound harsh, but also true

This IS a council problem, they are the landlords and have an obligation to make sure that their properties are upto a certain standard. If this was a private landlord, the council would be making steps so that the LL fixes the problems.

As for renting privately there are a lot of costs to fork out for before you even move into a private rented accommodation, something many people cannot afford.

Obviously not so lucky to have a council house in this instance, as they have failed to fix the damp problem.

I would just like to remind you tezza, that the OP came here to ask for advice, they did not come here to be judged, lectured or made to feel bad because they have 4 children to look after.

I hope the OP comes back and lets us know how they get on.

Whilst it is only a short term solution, pop some bowls of BBQ charcoal as near to the damp areas as you can - the charcoal will draw the damp from the atmosphere. You will need to dry out or replace the charcoal fairly regularly.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D