My overall Benefits journey from 2013 to date - and on going still!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 369 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don't think there's anywhere on the JSA form to mention disabilities; but there's nothing to stop you informing your adviser of your disabilities. I can't quite remember how I told my adviser actually.

If you tell the job centre, I do believe they tell your adviser.

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well its cos I had a tribunal, as in 2009 the atossers/dwp found me fit for work, I had to wait almost 18 months for the hearing and got my incapacity reinstated, with them recommending a 3 yrs peace for me. but dwp rang and said at the time that I will get a form in 2013 after 2 yrs as they are ending incapacity.....so its looming very soon.

Have nothing good to say about ATOS , the way assessments are done, or about any Tory government for that matter. but can't see why you feel ATOS/DWP would force or hound you into claiming JSA. They don't actually give a toss whether you make a JSA claim or not. l.

All benefits are financial support options an individual can choose to apply for if the wish. All the DWP staff will do is give you info on any available options and leave it to you to decide whether to apply or not. The final responsibility for deciding to apply and agree to meet the criteria and conditions attached to receive it, is with the individual. Someone can also choose not to claim JSA or find paid work on their own efforts which will probably work out more successful than help from any advisor on the Work Programmme.

Do you mean a failed assessment after April , when the interim assesment rate is stopped until a mandatory reconsideration is done? As there will still be the option of appealing after the reconsideration and getting assessment rate from that point on..

It's clear the government is trying its best to make working any hours in any type of work at basic NMW infinitely more appealing to people than claiming ESA or JSA .

If able , best to get as prepared as you can before going for any assessment. Getting it right at the front end will leave less room for the assessor to manouevre you into a failed assessment and save you a lot of stress and work compared to an appeal.. Then hopefully you won't have to face any of the situations mentioned above.

there will be no payment of any kind during any reconsideration period which also does not have a time limit. which is what I based my thoughts on, as regardless of information being given the assessors are not reporting the truth, and in a lot of cases making it very difficult to have an assessment recorded etc. it is the time during the reconsideration when people will be left with nothing, and I doubt that this will give atos any kind of jab to tell the truth. preparation is good yes, but no doubt I will see where it gets me.

thinks I have lost the plot, too much thinking and reading and causing myself muddles, time for a break. good luck all with your issues.

There is no place within the JSA1 (JSA1s) form to state restrictions due to incapacity.

The questions are asked when you attened the initial interview to claim JSA and reasonable restrictions can be put in place, e.g unable to lift, bend, carry, sit etc and as long as you can show that you are looking for at least 16 hours per week that should be ok.

A Job Seekers Agreement would then be agreed but only if the adjustments are considered reasonable iygwim?

oh I see flumps then its not all such bad news then...yes I get what you mean...thanks. I have been too caught up in all the regs etc and it muddles my head and does me no favours, I am not too sharp with the memory at times. many thanks for that though.

that was the part that worried me Nystagmite, having heard that people are getting thrown off ESA and then effectively given no choice but have no money or sign for JSA, regardless of the comments of some on here, it is sometimes all too often due to atos/dwp not being fair with assessments and decisions, and I do believe they force sick people onto JSA, between the two of them, and the dwp knowing they cannot live without money, so I do believe they should be held responsible for their actions, whether they continue to get away with this or not is to be seen in the future....anyway moving on from that, what flumps has told me here I will keep firmly in my head and with a good GP hopefully even the worst scenario may not be as bad as it could.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to significant pain from Fibromyalgia, and the fatigue that comes with it, I am restricted in a lot of physical things I used to be fine with. I also have Arthritis in my hands. My daughter helps me with getting in and out the bath for example, and I cannot bend over the sink to wash my hair if shes not available, short term memory loss is also a problem and all this interferes with my "routine" I am supposed to keep in order to manage my Bipolar better than before. Walking, standing, sitting all give pain etc.

On the DLA form it says you can get this benefit if you need care for 35hrs a week or more, my daughter comes to me 2-3 times a day to check/help me, remind me on meds etc, but I don't think it amounts to 35hrs. I am guessing I wont get it then. Am wondering if I can get my GP to write and get some help with having a shower fitted in, I think some councils do it if you have this?

Any ideas welcome.

Hi I have Fibromyalgia and had it for over 10years I applied for dla and got refused 3 times I am unable to walk my son and husband have to get me in and out of bed help me to the toilet and when I mean when I go out which I haven't for 12 months they have to come with me as I was found in the middle of a busy road not knowing where or what I was doing I too suffer from Bipolar . The medical assessment teams do not recognise fibromyalgia as it is not something that can be really diagnosed so it is hard work from beginning to end with dla and now the rules are changing yet again they do this to make our life's a misery. All you can do it apply and see what they say it will either be yes or no but good luck anyway x

Thankyou, yes its not easy is it. A Rheumatologist diagnosed me and has been the one recommending meds for my GP to prescribe. A few changes, here and there on meds to see what works best.

Thankyou, yes its not easy is it. A Rheumatologist diagnosed me and has been the one recommending meds for my GP to prescribe. A few changes, here and there on meds to see what works best.

I started a thread Ruby and there is a brilliant podcast if you have not caught it yet.

Or you can just read what she is saying (it was very useful).

i have been doing the online application where you can save and then to back to it, but now I cant get the my account part to work to carry on with it....bloody thing.

• 1 month later...

I am still on the old Incapacity Benefit, expecting the transfer or messical anytime. I have the opportunity to do 2 hours per week at a local voluntary care office. Just answering the phone and logging requests for transport for the elderly to appointments etc. and ringing the drivers to arrange. I have been told that on average the phone rings about 4 times within the 2 hour period, they only have use of the office for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon, and volunteers do one session each per week. Do I need to disclose/get permission from the DWP to do this? it appeals to me as it is only 2 hours, not stressful, a small quiet office, no computer or any hassle, and I would like to give it a try and see how I get on.

You should inform them to cover yourself, but two hours a week should not be a problem. The only issue would be if the work involved doing something you've told them your condition prevents you from doing.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I think I will have to pass on it. I just thought that as its just 2 hours a week, non paid, no stress etc and if I cant do it one week its no problem, that it would be a chance to give something back. But now I kinda think the dwp could use it against me. A quiet little room with just me and the phone and a book to fill in the columns for the calls, is all it is really, maybe a call or two to a driver usually leaving message on voicemail for them to call back. Knowing the dwp they would see this as able to do any job.

Current DWP policy is to encourage voluntary work, so I really doubt they'd hold it against you.

What I meant was, for example, if you told them you couldn't walk more than 10 metres and then took a job door-to-door collecting for a charity.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

oh I see antone lol ....when my bipolar kicks off which can be for weeks/months I struggle to get back on track sometimes, and suffer with fibromyalgia and can manage it better sometimes than other times, and newly diagnosed diabetes type 2, new eating regime to help keep blood sugar balanced and new (even more) meds. But, the times when I don't feel so bad I could do these 2 hours and give something back into the community. Being a simple, non stressful, no pressure environment. A full time job in a busy office would send me gaga, just thinking of phones ringing, lights, background noise, people talking, all things I thought normal a few years ago, now send me into a confused irrational state, and I cant concentrate.