bird lovers - identification needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4027 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

ok had a bird on the back garden after a little googling im sorta 60% certain what it is

anyone any better at identification heres a few (not very good) pictures

IMG_8698_zps7295e337.jpg

IMG_8697_zpsbc8f2821.jpg

IMG_8703_zps65dbe805.jpg

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Falcon?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

thats what i thought, which one is the question

sorry not seen him around before

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Peregrine Falcon by the looks of things.

Looks like he made a killing !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Nah. kestrels are much smaller and "chubbier". They look more like a normal bird except more eviler.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Don't anyone get friendly with that bird! I do a regular morning walk around a local country park, and for days this biggish bird was following me, I think because I feed the birds with seeds and nuts as i go round. He got closer, closer, then he was sitting on the wire waiting for me each morning. I googled him and found out he was a young buzzard. And then realised why he was waiting on the wire, not for my seeds, but for my little birds! Bloody thing, do you know it had the damn cheek to land on me a few mornings ago! The claws on him are horrible, and its a good job I had a thick coat on and also he smells bad. (Breath I think). I didn't dare look him in the eye. I had to shake him off. He didn't argue with me, just looked a bit insulted.

I've had to tell my friend Bernard (yes, I know, biggest mistake, giving him a name!) that he is never to do that again. I can't resist saying good morning to him though, he's there nearly every morning and he is a handsome looking bird (in an evil sort of way) and if I don;t see him, I certainly hear his call across the park.

Now, should I continue this relationship or is it going to end in injuries and tears? I mean, how on earth could I walk past him now and not stop to say good morning? LOL. I hope to goodness he gets a female soon, that'll take his eye off me I hope.

And that peregrine falcon looks like he has the most disgusting table manners, you might want to have a word with him about this is he wants to keep calling to your garden!

well he left about an hour later

full garden of feathers and stuff

made alot of noise making the kill - at least the kill did

saw it land on the garden with the crow, used its beak to make the kill - very neat

then tore it all around the garden, thought it was a peregrene but didnt like to say thought they were fairly rare - especially in nottinghamshire

Please note:

Don't anyone get friendly with that bird! I do a regular morning walk around a local country park, and for days this biggish bird was following me, I think because I feed the birds with seeds and nuts as i go round. He got closer, closer, then he was sitting on the wire waiting for me each morning. I googled him and found out he was a young buzzard. And then realised why he was waiting on the wire, not for my seeds, but for my little birds! Bloody thing, do you know it had the damn cheek to land on me a few mornings ago! The claws on him are horrible, and its a good job I had a thick coat on and also he smells bad. (Breath I think). I didn't dare look him in the eye. I had to shake him off. He didn't argue with me, just looked a bit insulted.

I've had to tell my friend Bernard (yes, I know, biggest mistake, giving him a name!) that he is never to do that again. I can't resist saying good morning to him though, he's there nearly every morning and he is a handsome looking bird (in an evil sort of way) and if I don;t see him, I certainly hear his call across the park.

Now, should I continue this relationship or is it going to end in injuries and tears? I mean, how on earth could I walk past him now and not stop to say good morning? LOL. I hope to goodness he gets a female soon, that'll take his eye off me I hope.

And that peregrine falcon looks like he has the most disgusting table manners, you might want to have a word with him about this is he wants to keep calling to your garden!

:lol: I imagine his diet doesn't help the bad breath, Jackie !

BTW, do be careful if you are also walking little dogs.. some of the larger buzzards will attack them :(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Oh that's horrible Squaddie - poor things. My mum has a heron in her garden regularly, she spent days watching him, and then realised all her fish had gone out the pond. Then next door lost all their koi carp. So out came the fine mesh covers for the ponds, that stopped him.

CitizenB, yes, I thought about the little terriers etc., so have their owners, so a good eye is kept on them. Well the regulars either love or hate Bernard, one guy has 6 black labs, all highly trained gun dogs, and he hates him because he says they are in competition as Bernard likes to kill the game birds as well. I told him, at least Bernard eats all of his kill, you do it for sport. We agree to differ on the killing bit, but we at least agree Bernard is a looker!

So, I take seeds for all the little birds, inc mealworm for the robins and corn for the pigeons, and some apple and mandarin segments for the blackbird and thrush, nuts in shells for the jays and jackdaws = do I now have to add a nice piece of raw steak on a bit of string for Bernard?! (There is no way I am hand feeding him, those claws and beak - if I give him something he didn't like he could kill me) He's made me feel like I'm leaving him out, but then I suppose he can always take a chunk out of my ear or something or eat one of my little friends!

As soon as I seen the picture, I thought Peregrine Falcon. Then I read all the posts, and lots of people have beat me to it.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

i did think that as well

according to a quick google the nearest breading pair is about 15+ miles away in nottingham center, however they like tall buildings and theres only one tall building near me

if it is nesting (ive checked and its taken the body with it) then its likely to be somewhere on kings mill hospital

Please note:

Really Sparks? See, several people have told me I ought to discourage him, because he is after all wild. On the other hand, he approached me! I think he's gorgeous, and I'm not bothered by big birds, but hey, he's a bit bigger than my african grey who sits on my head and cuts my scalp to pieces. Now if Bernard sat on my head I think he'd scalp me! I can just imagine him on my head, making sure my head was actually a stable perch by digging his claws in - ouch.

I say "good morning Bernard" and his head spins round as he eyes me sideways on, then he puts his head down to his chest, and if he thinks I'm going to stroke him he can think again!

Well, ok I'll take a couple of wings out the freezer tonight and see how we go on tomorrow morning x

I would find something pretty solid to wear on my head, Jackie.. like a motorcycle helmet !

BCOBS

what has it caught? is that a starling?

Yes, I think so, Ford

BCOBS

according to google the falcons dive can reach 125mph

Please note:

It is definitely a Sparrowhawk. I get them in my garden every now and again, when they are hunting birds that feed. I have seen them eating various birds and they make a mess, with a collared dove stripped down to the bare bones within about 10 minutes.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It is nice to see magnificent creatures such as birds of pray common in our skies again, they were almost wiped out by farmers and shot guns, pesticides in the 50-60s limited breeding patterns.

Birds of pray gained a protected status under the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act

Some species of birds of pray have been eradicated from this country

I'd better have a word with the local jays then, about Bernard and his protected status! He was sitting in an oak tree, minding his own business, two jays just started attacking him, hell of a noise they made about it, and they didn't let up until he moved out of that tree. I suspect they were nesting, and know that Bernard is a killer just waiting.....!

Since I've started paying attention to all these birds, they amaze me with their antics!