style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3640 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My name is jack, i am using Snowy`s membership to post some questions as i now have no internet access due to the cost & being unemployed. If this is a problem then could the moderators please inform Snowy & we can try a different route. Snowy is present as i type this .

OK, please bear with me as i have had an awful experience this morning while signing on.

I signed on this morning with my normal advisor, who is a nice lady but very unsure of procedure & very vague when asked questions [ i will come to this] . She asked me about UJM & signing up , i gave my stock answer that as i am applying for 10-15 jobs per week & have had 3 interviews within the last fortnight & i have a second interview tomorrow , is there really any need for me to join?, as it it obvious my job search is successful & above the required 3 job application per week.

She did`t answer but did`t push the subject any further, she then informed me i was required to attend a meeting to discuss my job search next week. I politely asked " why & for what reason" , she replied that it was to help me in trying to obtain a job," but i have had 3 interviews in the last fortnight & i am attending a second interview tomorrow so why do you think i need any extra help" . This sent her into a complete tizzy, she went to the supervisor who is a vile woman & is full of the attitude that you will do as you are told. She "told" me i must attend, i said OK but can you give me the official legislation that states i must attend an interview or send me a letter to that effect. she once again "told me, that it is part of my job seekers agreement", again i asked to be shown the relevant paperwork , i must add, i have no problem with attending the interview but i don`t like being spoken to like i am a subordinate . I had already given my advisor a tube ticket i purchased last Friday for my interview to reclaim my expense, my advisor had given me a form to fill out & said i would get the money into my account today. the supervisor stopped her processing the form & in a very abrupt manner said

" where`s your proof of the interview" , i produced a memory stick & explained as i could not afford a printer that my interview invites were all on the stick along with every job application i had ever made. She said they had no facility to download the information & i would have to produce printouts, i explained that the cost of paying for 2 rail cards & my cost of travelling to the job centre were a problem , i also explained i no longer had a car on the road due to not being able to afford the tax & insurance so i have to travel by bus , she then told me if i did`t produce the printouts i would not be paid " end of" .

Her attitude is disgusting, she is confrontational & i will attend the job search meeting next week, she left me with this " i can have you in here every day if i so choose" . I read that to mean, if i did`t tow the line & stop asking awkward questions then she will do her utmost to sanction me.

My questions are

Do i have to go to the added cost of printouts?, why can`t they simply look at the memory stick . what is the law on this?.

What are my legal rights regarding UJM & signing up to it.

Can i record the interview next week ? , this woman is vile & i don`t use that term lightly, she is a bully & a control freak. I want my position watertight.

I don`t have a problem with complying to law but i won`t be bullied or threatened with sanctions because i ask questions of the system & my legal rights.

Sorry for the length & any help & advice will be gratefully received .

Regards

Jack

sounds to me like she needs to get out more bless her..wait till she try's bingo, she'll hyper ventalate!

My name is jack, i am using Snowy`s membership to post some questions as i now have no internet access due to the cost & being unemployed. If this is a problem then could the moderators please inform Snowy & we can try a different route. Snowy is present as i type this .

OK, please bear with me as i have had an awful experience this morning while signing on.

I signed on this morning with my normal advisor, who is a nice lady but very unsure of procedure & very vague when asked questions [ i will come to this] . She asked me about UJM & signing up , i gave my stock answer that as i am applying for 10-15 jobs per week & have had 3 interviews within the last fortnight & i have a second interview tomorrow , is there really any need for me to join?, as it it obvious my job search is successful & above the required 3 job application per week.

She did`t answer but did`t push the subject any further, she then informed me i was required to attend a meeting to discuss my job search next week. I politely asked " why & for what reason" , she replied that it was to help me in trying to obtain a job," but i have had 3 interviews in the last fortnight & i am attending a second interview tomorrow so why do you think i need any extra help" . This sent her into a complete tizzy, she went to the supervisor who is a vile woman & is full of the attitude that you will do as you are told. She "told" me i must attend, i said OK but can you give me the official legislation that states i must attend an interview or send me a letter to that effect. she once again "told me, that it is part of my job seekers agreement", again i asked to be shown the relevant paperwork , i must add, i have no problem with attending the interview but i don`t like being spoken to like i am a subordinate . I had already given my advisor a tube ticket i purchased last Friday for my interview to reclaim my expense, my advisor had given me a form to fill out & said i would get the money into my account today. the supervisor stopped her processing the form & in a very abrupt manner said

" where`s your proof of the interview" , i produced a memory stick & explained as i could not afford a printer that my interview invites were all on the stick along with every job application i had ever made. She said they had no facility to download the information & i would have to produce printouts, i explained that the cost of paying for 2 rail cards & my cost of travelling to the job centre were a problem , i also explained i no longer had a car on the road due to not being able to afford the tax & insurance so i have to travel by bus , she then told me if i did`t produce the printouts i would not be paid " end of" .

Her attitude is disgusting, she is confrontational & i will attend the job search meeting next week, she left me with this " i can have you in here every day if i so choose" . I read that to mean, if i did`t tow the line & stop asking awkward questions then she will do her utmost to sanction me.

My questions are

Do i have to go to the added cost of printouts?, why can`t they simply look at the memory stick . what is the law on this?.

Can i record the interview next week ? , this woman is vile & i don`t use that term lightly, she is a bully & a control freak. I want my position watertight.

I don`t have a problem with complying to law but i won`t be bullied or threatened with sanctions because i ask questions of the system & my legal rights.

Regards

Jack

Hi Jack.

There's no cost to posting on CAG so as long as you have an email address you can get your own account to save any confusion about who is posting. :-)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Jack - if this advisor is as rude as you say then you definitely need to start recording her attitude and let her dig her own grave. The reason she's like this is because people let her get away with it. Also, you can request a different advisor; it's your right. I've done it before when one of them made a big mistake on my claim and I said either give me someone different or he (and the whole jobcentre) gets reported to the district manager. They gave me a new advisor.

As has been said, it's important that you show the JC that, while you're a reasonable person who will happily carry out any legitimate requests, you're also someone who knows the rules and won't be intimidated. Same goes for the Work Programme advisors.

Can i record the interview next week ?

Jack - You are entitled to record any/all conversations for your own private records. If the meeting is conducted in a public area where there is no expectation of privacy, you do need to be aware that you might catch snippets of other peoples discussions (so no publishing on the internet). If the JCP/DWP/WP adviser raises an objection, insist on a private interview room and/or point them towards the Data protection Act (which makes provision for a private individual to collect data for their personal records), the Regulation of Investigative Powers (covert recording), and the usual standby, European Convention of Human Rights section 8.

Short answer, you have every right to record a conversation.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

My questions are

Regards

Jack

Your story sounds very similar to mine, see my thread I just posted, seems they are pulling dirty tricks out the bag... that's impression I get. But you are very right not to agree to do anything you DON'T have too. As long as it is not mandatory and you can't be sanctioned for it.

i had a meeting with my advisor at the sub provider today and one of my tasks to do before my next appointment is signing up to UJM :/

oh she was trying to sell the site to me like hot cakes, acting like UJM is a revolution in job searching *yawn*, i will not be using UJM on my home computer so i'm just wondering is there anything i can present to her to say i don't legally have to use UJM at home?

i had a meeting with my advisor at the sub provider today and one of my tasks to do before my next appointment is signing up to UJM :/

oh she was trying to sell the site to me like hot cakes, acting like UJM is a revolution in job searching *yawn*, i will not be using UJM on my home computer so i'm just wondering is there anything i can present to her to say i don't legally have to use UJM at home?

I don't think its mandatory yet to sign up to it?

I'm not sure though...

On trying to register for a gateway account, I get this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44502[/ATTACH]I If I enable cookies for any/all Tom, Dick, & Harry web site, it kinda works, but why should I allow unauthorised storage of cookies on my computer... Showing your WP provider a screenshot as above should have him/her scratching around for an answer.

Here's an idle thought... Tell them "I don't have an email account" and then go on to ask for ways to sign up by post and copies of the forms required...

They can't make you use it on your home computer as it needs cookies to function and they can't force cookies on you. If they insist you use it, they've have to provide you with a terminal at the JC.

On trying to register for a gateway account, I get this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44502[/ATTACH]I If I enable cookies for any/all Tom, Dick, & Harry web site, it kinda works, but why should I allow unauthorised storage of cookies on my computer... Showing your WP provider a screenshot as above should have him/her scratching around for an answer.

do you have to have a goverment gateway account in order to sign up to UJM?

do you have to have a goverment gateway account in order to sign up to UJM?

Yes.

But if you disable cookies in your browser, you get the cryptic error shown in my screenshot. :p

If it's a WP provider then they can't make you sign up to UJ. Mine tried that with me - even put it in the 'things to do' on my appointment letter. When he asked if I'd registered I gave him the 'only a DWP FLA can issue a Jobseekers Direction to mandate a client to register..and mine hasn't'. He just said 'Oh, that's okay then' and dropped it :)

I've since registered with UJ (but put nothing on it) and didn't have to create a Gateway Account, I just did it straight from the main UJ page.

Also, when I signed yesterday, I saw a different advisor - who I know for a fact gives out wrong advice - and I promptly corrected her when she said 'signup to UJ was mandatory across the board'. She got the same speech from me plus a few choice quotes from the PCS Union memo and she ended up stuck for words. I picked up a leaflet on 'UJ Signup' and it still said clients should tick the box to allow DWP access - absolutely no mention of the fact that this is not compulsory. Typical.

If it's a WP provider then they can't make you sign up to UJ. Mine tried that with me - even put it in the 'things to do' on my appointment letter. When he asked if I'd registered I gave him the 'only a DWP FLA can issue a Jobseekers Direction to mandate a client to register..and mine hasn't'. He just said 'Oh, that's okay then' and dropped it :)

I've since registered with UJ (but put nothing on it) and didn't have to create a Gateway Account, I just did it straight from the main UJ page.

Also, when I signed yesterday, I saw a different advisor - who I know for a fact gives out wrong advice - and I promptly corrected her when she said 'signup to UJ was mandatory across the board'. She got the same speech from me plus a few choice quotes from the PCS Union memo and she ended up stuck for words. I picked up a leaflet on 'UJ Signup' and it still said clients should tick the box to allow DWP access - absolutely no mention of the fact that this is not compulsory. Typical.

my advisor at the sub provider even said she uses UJM herself, we were discussing job sites and she said the one she finds the most easiest is UJM due to the fact you only have to press one button in order to apply and the fact it records all your activity saving you the time of writing it in your job diary.

i actually like and prefer writing everything ive done to look for work on my job log, gives me handwriting practice :)

is there anything in writing that i can present to them that says they can't force me into signing up to UJM?

my advisor at the sub provider even said she uses UJM herself, we were discussing job sites and she said the one she finds the most easiest is UJM due to the fact you only have to press one button in order to apply and the fact it records all your activity saving you the time of writing it in your job diary.

You still have to fill in your job log for the job centre even if you use UJM.

I find the jobs on UJM are about 2 days behind other job sites, yes you can apply for jobs in just one click. but that's also the same on cv library indeed reed and several others sites.

i log into my UJM every day, but i very rarely apply for jobs on there. as like i said its about 2 days behind lol

Is UJM website mandatory yet?

They keep pressuring me to sign up, To be honest with you I don't want to store any job details electronically on some system.... Charlotte how do you show your advisor you've applied for jobs? I use the job journal but they told me it's being phased out I have to do it all online.