Being made homeless due to Job Centre

Casper's Ghost
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4090 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You don't have to be out going to live in a shared house, Casper. If you don't want to get involved with the other people living with you, you don't have to.

So your Dad has been told that he can bid on 2 bedroom properties, then?

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I got a letter from a Customer Compliance Officer, saying they are coming to my flat to talk over my benefits they are paying me, which they are not.

Here is the full letter. As it has to be type to understand.

A CUSTOMER COMPLIANCE OFFICER WILL BE CALLING......WE NEED TO SEE YOU IN ORDER TO DISCUSS THE BENEFIT WE ARE CURRENTLY PAYING YOU(they're not so why say it)

WE NEED TO ENSURE YOUR PAYMENTS(what payments)ARE CORRECT AND IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU ARE AVAILABLE SO WE CAN DISCUSS THE MATTER.

They also included this which made me smile.

YOU SHOULD NOTE THAT WHERE THERE IS DOUBT ABOUT WHETHER THE CONDITIONS FOR ENTITLEMENT ARE MET, WE CAN SUSPEND PAYMENT OF YOUR BENEFIT. (they have already)

I intend to call them tomorrow(Monday) as I have lost the flat, but hadn't gotten around changing my address to Care Of. I don't want to put stress on my mum by making her pay. As she doesn't get much already.

Why would they say that I may lose my benefit when I already have? Is this an extra sanction on top of mine?

Can I meet them at the Job Centre instead? I don't have enough money for electric and heating. Bit cruel for me to sit in a cold flat for a day.

Couldn't get though to Compliance Officer. She rang back and my dad explained to her that I don't have any money. And she said. 'Where is she getting the money for travel then?".

Is the Compliance Officer about fraud? As my parents suspect that someone told them that I have been working. I have been trying to find work since 16.

No one knows of my address too, only close family ie: Mother, father, brother, sister

I'm getting a bit confused, here Casper. If you've lost/handed back the flat, how would you be able to sit in it waiting all day?

I would contact them again to say that you are of no fixed abode, so where would they like to meet you?

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

She said she would send another appointment. I wanted to meet her at the job centre. She didn't even know I had been sanctioned. I thought they shared that kind of information.

Anyway I will be changing my address on letters to C/O of my mum's address maybe my sister's. I don't know.

She said she would send another appointment. I wanted to meet her at the job centre. She didn't even know I had been sanctioned. I thought they shared that kind of information.

Anyway I will be changing my address on letters to C/O of my mum's address maybe my sister's. I don't know.

You wanted to meet at the Jobcentre? What did the officer say to that?

You said she was sending you another appointment?

Which address will she send it to? Do you still have the

flat you said you lost?

scotgal 

Perhaps actually seeing someone from the job centre may be helpful in the long term, Casper. I think it's very important that you get some face to face advice from someone (whether that's the JC, CAB or Shelter) regarding the issues that you're having, because it's all getting very confusing in written form.

I don't know where she is sending the appointment, as I didn't answer the phone. Maybe she will send it to my mum's address. I still have it at the moment, but furniture is not removed yet.

And they haven't given me a dead line to when I have to move out.

I have spoken to CAB, but this was in the middle of December. I had a phone number for a shelter but I lost it. Still don't know how as I put it in my coat pocket and have nothing to get out of it.

And don't know if I can phone CAB for the phone number or not.

The phone number for Shelter is 0808 800 4444, which is free to phone. You must ring them as a matter of urgency.

I find the situation with your flat really unusual, to say the least. You need to get proper advice from Shelter regarding this as soon as possible, because I find it really surprising that your letting agent hasn't taken legal steps to recover the property yet.

Until you have changed your address any correspondance will be sent to the address you were already using which will be your flat.

Although you are sanctioned you are still maintaining your claim dfor JSA by attending for signing and WP appointments so Compliance can still interview you.

I very much doubt that the compliance officer will get too involved as to the reasons why you were sanctioned and what action you can take now, as you have already addressed the reconsideration and appeal action and until that is heard nothing else can be done.

Compliance aren't just looking for discrepancies on claims or fraud they also check to determine that the claim is correct and may be able to advise about claiming additional benefits so a benefit check so to speak.

OK. Another question. I have already asked this though, but wanted to know it again. When my sanction ends on 27 March, how long does it take before I get paid? I have just calculated that 27 March is my signing on day.

So should get my money the next week. But how you get paid is changing to monthly, so don't know if it efects me

Casper if your signing day is 27th March and your sanction ruins uip to and including that date you won't receive payment until the signing following that one so you will sign again on 10th April 2013 and you will be entitled to receive payment for the period 28th March to 10th April as long as you satisfy the conditions of entitlement and the payment will credit your account 3 working days after you sign.

Hi Casper's Ghost,

I have been reading your situation and I don't understand how you still have the property? before christmas you stated that the landlord have started taking action for you to leave the property however you still in the flat, as the landlord agree a payment plan for you to stay in the property?

If yes great stuff but if not then how come she not started taking action? it seems really confusing this? or is this just a made up story?

However on another note, I am sorry to hear you have been sanctioned by Jobcentre and hope everything works out fine for you in the near future.

I have/haven't got my flat. I am in the middle of arranging my furniture to be removed.

And still haven't received anything from the landlord about when to send my keys. I think I have to hand them in myself.

About the actual landlord, the last time I saw him was back in September. He didn't clean the carpets, which was in the Tennant's Agreement. So even if the stains are still there just hope he can't ask me to pay for them.

have you actually checked that they're not still receiving housing benefit for you, casper?

I don't really understand HB and CtB but my understanding is that you don't have to be in receipt of JSA/ESA etc to be entitled to receive help with your rent so why did they refuse your HB claim?

Have you actually notified the Council that you have terminated your tenancy to ensure that you aren't responsible for any further payments of rent and CtB? It isn't just a case of handing back the keys to the landlord/lady

OK, Casper. Have you spoken to Shelter yet? I can't stress enough how important it is that you speak to them, because as Flumps quite rightly says, HB isn't linked to JSA - you can get it even if you don't receive any benefits. Do you realise that as long as you have your possessions in the flat, and have the keys, you will be expected to pay rent on it - even if you've told them you don't live there anymore?

• 2 weeks later...

No I haven't I will tomorrow, I didn't think they'd be open on weekends.

I have 2 letters sent to me.

1 from the landlord evicting me. Does that mean I can go on a higher band when I get my money back? I need to move out. I'm now sharing my room.

The other one was from Belfast saying, for the second time now, they have sent my appeal to them. Instead of Basildon. I'm fed up with them now. I won't get my appeal because of them.

I'll speak to shelter tomorrow, I'm not sure if I'll have time because my furniture is being taken out and sent to my mum's.

I'm sharing my room with my 12yr old nephew. I know I shouldn't be. But that was the only choice.

OK, this is why you really, really need to talk to Shelter. Firstly, your landlord can't evict you without a court order, it's not as simple as just writing you a letter. He must issue you with something called a section 8 notice, telling you that you must vacate the flat due to your arrears, and then if you haven't gone by the date on the notice, he must take you to court to have you evicted.

I'm really concerned that by leaving the flat without following the correct process, your Housing Authority will rule that you have made yourself voluntarily homeless.

I would strongly, strongly suggest that you speak to Shelter BEFORE you move anything out of that flat, Casper.

I'll have to let someone with more knowledge deal with the issue with your appeal, because I don't know enough about it to be helpful to you.

I didn't know that. I don't want to get into trouble by not leaving the flat. As I'm already in debt with them. And don't want to be sent to court. I have yet to speak to council, after what happened last time I went there I am not looking forward to them. Do I tell them I have moved at reception or do I need to ask someone else?

It's not a question of getting into trouble, Casper. It's a question of protecting your own interests. While I massively dislike the idea of your landlord not having the income he expected from your flat, what's happened to you is a world away from someone randomly frittering away their rent money, and not bothering to pay.

I'll say it again, one last time...don't go to the council or say anything to anyone until you've spoken to Shelter. You really must do that first thing, before your furniture is moved.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4090 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks