Cabot harrassment re old Goldfish card

Charbydis
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3522 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just had an annoying call from Cabot about a goldfish account I have told them I don't recognise,

Payplan don't recognise and they haven't sent me a CCA about.

That's the short version!

Bascially he said they weren't prepared to accept a repayment plan it was settlement or escalation!

I listened to him for about half an hour and ended up saying I might be able to pay £500 at the end of the month

but still didn't recognise the account.

He went off saying he needed to speak to his supervisor and wouldn't be 5 mins. 15mins later I hung up.

I think I no the answer to what to do

- nothing but is there anyone I can complain to as I have told them not to phone me numerous times?

Just had an annoying call from Cabot about a goldfish account I have told them I don't recognise, Payplan don't recognise and they haven't sent me a CCA about. That's the short version! Bascially he said they weren't prepared to accept a repayment plan it was settlement or escalation! I listened to him for about half an hour and ended up saying I might be able to pay £500 at the end of the month but still didn't recognise the account. He went off saying he needed to speak to his supervisor and wouldn't be 5 mins. 15mins later I hung up.

I think I no the answer to what to do - nothing but is there anyone I can complain to as I have told them not to phone me numerous times?

Hi, Cabot are a right pain in the bum, had a few dealings with them and won in court thanks to help on here:D

You need to send them a SAR request for all the information they have on the account. Have they sent you any letters or anything?

If they ring again don't speak to them on the phone, tell them to write to you, never speak to them on the phone as they record all the conversations and will use them in court if it ever goes that far.

IT'S TIME FOR US LITTLE PEOPLE TO FIGHT BACK:)

Hi,

If you do not recognise this account, then wait until Carbot have sent a letter to you, then send them a CCA request to make sure that they are legally entitled to collect this debt.

As to escalation, it means he wants to scare you into paying because he wants some commission.

If Carbot rings in the future, just say "in writing only" and hang up, refuse to go through the security questions.

was going to ask when was the last payment on the account but as you do not recognise bit pointless.

Have you checked your credit file recently?

The SAR needs to go to Goldfish (Costs £10), not Carbot, hopefully loads of yummy PPI & Charges for you to reclaim.

I certainly would not pay Carbot a penny until you recieve a letter through the post, then as I said above, send them a CCA request, enclose a £1 postal order and do not sign your name, template letter for a CCA request is in the templates section (top tool bar in green under Library).

Stigman

Edited by Stigman
Fat fingers on keyboard

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

why are you talking to these muppets on the phone?

if you know nowt about it.

check you cra file to be sure

then ignore them

whilst on your cra file, check everyother debt you are paying shows too!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Have to agree with the others.. I fail to see why you would offer money for a debt you have no knowledge of.

Check your credit reference files and send a Subject Access Request to the original creditor and perhaps a CCA request to Cabot.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

sent an SAR ages ago they sent back an applicaton form for a goldfish account which bore no relationship to the account number they gave me and a load of statements relating to a morgan stanley account. I wrote back and told them this and guess what they didn't reply.

sent an SAR ages ago they sent back an applicaton form for a goldfish account which bore no relationship to the account number they gave me and a load of statements relating to a morgan stanley account. I wrote back and told them this and guess what they didn't reply.

Is that ALL you received in compliance with your SAR request ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Why on earth would you agree to pay money towards an account you don't recognise? The advice you've received is correct. Don't pay them a penny until you've got proof that a) it is your debt and b) it is not statute barred. If it isn't your debt then go to the Police and make a complaint regarding fraudulent activity on the part of Cabot.

Regards.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

• 1 year later...

After months of nothing other than the odd call which I hung up as soon as I realised it was CABOT I have had a letter from FIRE telling me they have been instructed to collect. Ho hum!

Cabot and Fire are the same company, just a different desk!:-)

L/Woods B/Card/Cabot - Unenforceable CCA, SD Issued *WON+COSTS*

Capital One/Cabot - No CCA account irrecoverable.

Citi/DLC Hillesden - No CCA account irrecoverable

MBNA/Aegis - Unenforceable CCA

B/Card/HFO - Unenforceable CCA

Fashion World - No CCA account irrecoverable

TRUECALL IS A GODSEND!!

• 9 months later...

I cca' d cabot over a number of debts and they haven't provided the documentation required. today I received two letters threatening defaults on two of the debts in question. They are old barclaycard debts that were sold on.

What is the best response?

nothing ....

if the debts already have a default registered

which BC do upon sale

it can do nowt more harm.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

I was under the impression only the original creditor could file defaults. When a debt is sold, the new owner can only update the details already held.

An account has to be defaulted then terminated before sale so if BC has failed to do this, it 'may' be classed as an unlawful repudiation.

I am going to ask my fellow team members for some input.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I wonder if these are threats of markers rather than a default notice.

and they

can you scan up the letter please

and they

Santander sold a debt of mine to CL finance while it was in a payment plan on a dmp. 3 years later when I lost my job they defaulted me. Earlier this year I challenged the default and it was removed.

I am not sure if it applies but of course depending on the contract the OC can terminate without a DN so could then sell it on without a default being registered

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Hi

I was under the impression only the original creditor could file defaults. When a debt is sold, the new owner can only update the details already held. Not so, silverfox. A debt can be sold any time, providing the contract allows for it, so an ongoing credit facility could be assigned to a new owner, but under the original T&Cs. If the debtor then defaulted, a default could rightly be recorded.

An account has to be defaulted then terminated before sale so if BC has failed to do this, it 'may' be classed as an unlawful repudiation. Again, not the case. A debt can be sold at any time, as above, and the issue of unlawful rescission is a dead duck in such instances – case law states that the creditor simply has to comply with s87 at some point before enforcement can take place.

I am going to ask my fellow team members for some input.

However, it is true as DX says that if the accounts have already been defaulted by the original creditor, then they cannot be defaulted again, as implied. This is a deceitful practice, and therefore does not represent the true situation – get a complaint in to the FCA.

• 3 weeks later...
I wrote to Cabot saying they had not complied with my cca request and anyway I never had an agreement with them to default. I am waiting for their response

If the account was sold, it’s likely that you are still under the same T&Cs as with the original creditor.

Have you checked your credit file to see if defaults were actually registered by the OCs?

• 4 weeks later...
I got a response back saying as they didn't have the necessary paperwork and were unlikely to get it they were ceasing collection activity but then went on to say they would continue reporting nfo about the accounts to credit reference agencies. Can they do this?

Good job on calling them out! As ive said many times, cabot rarely hold the right paperwork, and it is very easy to challenge them. The CRA will still be updated by them or any new owner for the remainder of the 6 years, as lack of paperwork only prevents them enforcing a court order. Not reporting to a CRA.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Cabot will try with a UE, just out of sheer spite. But they are doing it much less now as they know they wont get anything from it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D