Supreme court rules

Consumer dude
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5210 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

ok example for u , i go to a high street foood retailer to by my dinner a day before payday, i haven't had time to check my balance but im pretty sure i have £10 in my account, now i spend £9.80 in said store, in fact i had £8.30 avail, now the transaction gets authorised for that and i get charged £38 for unathorised overdraft request, ok the T&C's of my account probably say that that will happen, but i don't have a choice i can't bank else where, where this doens't happen?? how can that be fair.

You MUST check your balance though. You would not go into a shop with £5 in your pocket and buy something for £7, as you dont have anough. If you choose to keep your cash in the bank, you need to chech how much is there.... I an in agreement that these charges are indeed unfair, but the account holder has a duty to ensure they have enough in said account in the first place.....

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite seriously......would my money be better off in a fireproof matress?

Well considering interest rates are so low that we are earning and the banks are lending OUR money out at massive rates to anyone that dares ask for a loan....It's a farce and we are being forced to use banks to make payments.

Just see the news regardng the test case, what will happen now ???????? have a claim which went to court and the court uled that the defendant the Halifax must file their defence by 16 Nov 4pm which they did not and the court stated that their defence after this dtae will be stuck out so on the 18th Nov 09 we filed for the judgment, which the judgement papers are with the judge. Can the judge now stop our claim due the the test case or confirm the judgement as the defendant dd not file defence by the date set by the court. we are hopng that the court will issue the judgement as the claim was filed before the test case hearing and the defendant did not replied to the court papers

here hoping

No he can not. All the judgement means is the OFT can not asses for unfairness, not that the charges are not unfair. If he does not issue the judgment, the case will have to proceed. Cases can not just simply disappear, and the good news is stays are now history.

Please note nothing I say constitutes legal advice.

hi Bobsp

isn't that the point though? you are now paying £8 where it would have previously been much higher. That's because the inflated charges were unfair

I agree, but I can live with an £8 charge, not the £30 I was being charged, as I no longer go od, I check my balance alot more now, I can live with 1 £8 over 2 years....

It's pretty simple really, don't break the rules and there aren't any penalty charges.

What is it with you people ?

I haven't broken the rules and im sure all the people here haven't broken the rules...

I worked very hard (40-60 hours a week) in a damn hard job and have never claimed a penny in benefits...and because i got made redundant through no fault of my own some bloody faceless pen pusher who has probably never had to spend time away from their family to put food on the table and clothes on their back can take all that hard earner cash from me!!!

Comments like that are just plain rude!! :mad:

You MUST check your balance though. You would not go into a shop with £5 in your pocket and buy something for £7, as you dont have anough. If you choose to keep your cash in the bank, you need to chech how much is there.... I an in agreement that these charges are indeed unfair, but the account holder has a duty to ensure they have enough in said account in the first place.....

Yes but if you don't have enough to pay the shop would refuse to serve you. They wouldn't let you have the goods and then follow you home demanding an extra £39. If you haven't asked for an overdraft and make a mistake of going over then they should decline the payment until you confirm that you want the credit.

Quite seriously......would my money be better off in a fireproof matress?

Actually your are probably right.

I saw on the TV the other day that the interest being paid on deposits is so low that savers are losin money.

If this is case all we need right now is a simple account to pay our bills and put the rest if a safe or in an account not affialiated with the High Street Banks

ST

RBS/Triton - Gone Away No CCA

RBS/Moorcroft - Gone way No CCA

RBS/AIC - Gone Away No CCA

RBS/Intrum - Gone Away No CCA

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Cahoot/Link - CCA in Dispute

Capital One - Settled

Lloyds Bank - Awaiting Outcome from Supreme Court Hearing.

Lloyds Credit Credit - Repayment Plan

ok example for u , i go to a high street foood retailer to by my dinner a day before payday, i haven't had time to check my balance but im pretty sure i have £10 in my account, now i spend £9.80 in said store, in fact i had £8.30 avail, now the transaction gets authorised for that and i get charged £38 for unathorised overdraft request, ok the T&C's of my account probably say that that will happen, but i don't have a choice i can't bank else where, where this doens't happen?? how can that be fair.

It doesn't seem fair and £38 appears excessive. However, the Banks rely on people being forgetful and or blase concerning their accounts. By keeping a close eye on your balances most if not all charges can be forgotten about. I am not a supporter of the Banks at all. If you all want to hurt the Banks then manage your accounts effectively and deprive them of 2.4 Billion pounds of income per year.

Regards

Yes but if you don't have enough to pay the shop would refuse to serve you. They wouldn't let you have the goods and then follow you home demanding an extra £39. If you haven't asked for an overdraft and make a mistake of going over then they should decline the payment until you confirm that you want the credit.

you got my point exactly!, nobody asked me if i wasnt to borrow that money they assumed...you you know want assuming does :D

Oh Dear. I have a case stayed . HSBC were late in filing their AQ very crafty they knew the case was about to start. What hope do I have now.

:Cry:

Plenty, the court did not rule the charges are not unfair, just that the OFT can not asses their fairness. Apply to have the stay lifted.

Please note nothing I say constitutes legal advice.

Crapstone this isn't a troll at all. Using unauthorised overdraft charges as an example please explain to me why I am wrong ?

Regards

Because, you plank, it was banks levvying unfair charges that forced people into unauthorised overdrafts.

Just go back to your bedsit and play your video games with a w*** break every 5 minutes.

If this had been in France there'd be a strike or riot about now, that would scare the hell outta the government here there'd be brown benches in the houses commons/lords.

Seriously! Remember when French lorry drivers blockaded roads in the 90s over the high price of fuel. Remember how when the French government tried to introduce speed cameras the French people overnight just said “non!” and began destroyed them overnight.

As much as I dislike the French, they know how to take action when things matter to them. We just sit back and watch – That is certainly what I’ve been doing.

Vegnomeat is very well named. Obviously has no balls either and is a banking slave making cups of tea for the bank (robber) manager. Open your eyes and take off your bank tinted glasses. This is about fairness or the lack of it in this case. The banks have for years gotten away with daylight robbery with excessive charges and penalty fees. Taxpayers have bailed them out following years of inadequacy. These thieving bankers have played roulette for years with customers monies enabling themselves to manipulate the books in order to rewards themselves for failure. This decision is disgraceful and corrupt but not unexpected. I for one will never keep money in a bank account other than to cover direct debits. Hopefully others will follow suit thus preventing the **** bankers from using our monies to make their fortunes. Investors/Bank account holders receive a paltry amount of interest for monies on deposit yet the Bank robbers pass this money (our money) on to borrowers at an exorbitant rates. Another sad day to be had by many. Hopefully, this aint over

Yes but if you check your balance you will know what you have in your account. The same as checking your wallet before you go in the shop.

Because, you plank, it was banks levvying unfair charges that forced people into unauthorised overdrafts.

Just go back to your bedsit and play your video games with a w*** break every 5 minutes.

Nice offensive post, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

It's pretty simple really, don't break the rules and there aren't any penalty charges.

What is it with you people ?

This is probably the most childish comment going. Have you ever been in a situation where you cant pay your bills as you have to fork out £250 in charges therefore more bills cant be paid then more charges occur. It is a spiral that is very hard to get out of and causes massive amounts of stress.

Dont get me wrong I am all for paying penalties or charges if I mess up, but not £35 for going 10p overdrawn now that is robbery dont you agree?

In future I think you should tone down your opinion :)

I think the last 12 months have been enough to demonstrate even to those marooned in a bunker the character of banking financial institutions and a government/political elite who will bend to their every whim. Banks are quite happy to quote the law when it suits - if anything this ruling emphasises the gulf between the law and justice for the consumer

Surely our best route forward is loud, public and concerted action - letters to MP's, demonstration in London, class action from all consumer groups joining together and using the law against them

I had little faith in the law before this - it is now totally extinct

Time to raise a fighting fund maybe?

Yes but if you check your balance you will know what you have in your account. The same as checking your wallet before you go in the shop.

Not always. You can have money in your account but because of ghosting they will refuse transactions as they mark the same debits twice. And don't forget the right of set-off. If you fail to make a payment on a CC or loan with the same group they will take the money without asking however much you've tried to tell them you are in financial trouble.

ok bob, i didn't check my wallet, get to the tills and ive only got a £5, the till operater is quiet happey for me to put some stuff back and buy what ia want with what ive got....don;t get the option with a darn card do i!

It was not wether they were unfair but wether the OFT can say whats fair or not they have left a little door open but as martin lewis says they need to do a lot of reading and a lot checking the law

Its not over yet

Any way they may well not have paid up for some time as it would all have to be assessed

It affects an awful lot of people lets just hope someone finds a way round this

Seriously! Remember when French lorry drivers blockaded roads in the 90s over the high price of fuel. Remember how when the French government tried to introduce speed cameras the French people overnight just said “non!” and began destroyed them overnight.

As much as I dislike the French, they know how to take action when things matter to them. We just sit back and watch – That is certainly what I’ve been doing.

I don't dislike the French but I am very proud to be English/Scottish 50:50, however I dislike the way we're pushed about by OUR government, who work for US!

We in Britain tend to have a grumble about things and that's as far as we get.. I think we fear standing up and shouting because are scared me might find ourself standing up alone.

Apply to get the stay lifted and proceed as planned.

Keep the faith. EiE.

Capstone Mortgage 'Services' - Sub-prime garbage - unlawful behaviour/MULTIPLE consumer abuse, TOTALLY in Defiance of REGULATIONS and the law

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/final/gmac_rfc.pdf

CONTACT CIB Here

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/Complaintformcib.Htm

Kevin Hughes(Compliance Manager-main) @ 02920 380 633

Lee Jenkins(prosecuting Amany Attia) 02920 380 643

Mark Youde(accounts compliance) 02920 380 955

Charlotte Allan @ 0207 596 6108 investigating all the Lehman lenders

Jeremy Pilcher 0207 637 6231

NO KAGGA LEFT BEHIND...

"We would not seek a battle, as we are; Nor, as we are, we say we will not shun it"