Tv license in Northern Ireland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is that a trick question ?

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I would imagine that it would work in exactly the same manner as the rest of the United Kingdom

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Not at all, I was just curious about how the law works their regarding tv licensing..

Sorry, did'nt mean to offend, just my warped sense of humor :rolleyes:

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

But they get round it by taking their TV across the border in a wheelbarrow to evate capture. :) Actually, back in the days when BT ran the fleet of detector vans, they were a hot target to be firebombed (I saw one in flames in Newry) but there wasn't any rush to put it out....

Hello from NI.

TV detector vans in Republican areas (along with bailiffs) were dicing with death from 1969 onwards. A culture of evasion grew up as detector vans were regularly attacked as protection for them was regarded as low priority by Police.

Even the Police (armed in NI) needed Army protection.

Vans were hijacked, burned out and the occupants given two minutes to get out of the area.

There is still a culture of non-paying in some areas.

It was open season on bailiffs, with the IRA considering them as ligitimate targets to be shot on sight. Several were found in ditches over the Border with holes in their heads, still clutching their Warrants of Execution. Nice touch of irony.

The post of "bailiff" was abolished in 1970 and has never been reinstated

Edited by noomill060

Hello from NI.

TV detector vans in Republican areas (along with bailiffs) were dicing with death from 1969 onwards. A culture of evasion grew up as detector vans were regularly attacked as protection for them was regarded as low priority by Police.

Even the Police (armed in NI) needed Army protection.

Vans were hijacked, burned out and the occupants given two minutes to get out of the area.

There is still a culture of non-paying in some areas.

It was open season on bailiffs, with the IRA considering them as ligitimate targets to be shot on sight. Several were found in ditches over the Border with holes in their heads, still clutching their Warrants of Execution. Nice touch of irony.

The post of "bailiff" was abolished in 1970 and has never been reinstated

Seeing as I believe only 20 vans ever existed in the whole of the UK, I wonder how many ended up in flames, they arn't used at all now of course.

A few years ago there was a spate of Post Office vans being hijacked and burned out and the postie sent on his way.

(All the mail sacks were removed and left at the local Post Office for redelivery the next day- they were full of Giros!)

On an earlier occasion the Newry combined Tax Office/DHSS building was firebombed by the IRA and everyone in Newry missed out on their Giros that week.

The culprit was kneecapped by popular request.

3 - all Commers. They never made it back to Blighty!

Hence the culture of TV licence fee evasion.

(If the Brits dont know youre watching Morecambe and Wise without a licence, why bother to buy one?)

Same with tax discs on cars- if they cant serve a summons on you 'cos the cops cant get into your estate without causing a riot, you may as well stick a Guinness label in your Cortina's windscreen!

All changed now, in most areas.

A few years ago there was a spate of Post Office vans being hijacked and burned out and the postie sent on his way.

My father was a victim of this in the seventies. I can still remember seeing the van (a Morris Minor) being towed behind an army recovery vehicle.

HALIFAX: 13/01/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter (marked as rec'd 16/01)

Paid in full in March 07