• Tweets

• should have come here first really. What you requested was a load of irrelevant twaddle. What was the original debt? Have you moved since taking it out? If TM Legal are chasing, that should means that Perch own it now? Did you get the letter of claim by email or post? You should kill the emails immediately.   
    • sorry I have been confused by Statute Barred meaning. I thought with Statute Barred the debt cannot be chased 6 years after you have stopped paying.  Originally I set up a payment arrangement with all the companies around 2008 when things went horribly wrong. At that time the payment arrangement was with the original creditors.  I still have one of the original creditors who I pay each month (Cap1). I thought that if you make a payment arrangement you have to stick to that situation throughout. Also, MDR (Moorcroft) have been taking a monthly payment on behalf of M & S Bank for about 5 years. When I sent MDR a CCA request I got a copy of the original agreement sent to me directly by M & S Bank about 5 weeks after my CCA request. Sorry for my ignorance but would you suggest I stop paying all including Cap1 who are the original creditor? TIA
    • London1971 without divulging too much into his mental health he has issues regarding anything to do with government and so is it ok to fill the forms provided and what do I put on there  thanks  
    • Dear all, I am hoping for some advice/guidance on this matter. I received a LoC dated 12/04/24 and replied to this on the 2/05/24 disputing claim with the following reasons: 1: [Inadequate Affordability Assessment]: I contend that your institution failed to conduct a thorough assessment of my financial circumstances prior to approving the loan. As a result, the loan amount and repayment terms were not suitable for my income and financial situation. 2: [Unsustainable Repayments]: The repayment schedule imposed by the loan agreement placed an undue burden on my finances, making it impossible for me to meet my other financial obligations without experiencing significant hardship. 3: [Lack of Transparency]: Your institution did not adequately disclose the risks associated with the loan, including any potential increases in interest rates or fees over the loan term. I also added the following: Under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulations, lenders have a legal obligation to conduct thorough affordability assessments and ensure that loan agreements are suitable for borrowers' circumstances. I hereby request that your institution: 1: Conduct a full investigation into my claim of irresponsible lending. 2: Provide me with copies of all documentation related to the loan application and approval process, including affordability assessments, credit checks, and correspondence. 3: Cease all collection activities related to the loan until this matter is resolved. Yesterday i received the attached reply via email and it included: 1: The Original Loan agreement 2: An account statement 3: A copy of a default notice letter. The email included a link for a direct debit set up page where you enter their reference and your bank account details (looks like a standard D/D set up page) but there is nothing to indicate the amount of the D/D that I might be agreeing to. I also think two days response time is not long enough to appropriately reply. Any thoughts appreciated   Email-compressed.pdf
    • Easy to set one up on Gov.uk , search on Google.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

UK debt being Chased in Australia

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3769 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

greeno,

Essentially, Pie & Beer no longer want to be a member of FOS probably because FOS is pressing Pie & Beer for compliance with NPP and the Privacy Act.

If you have a complaint already with the FOS there should be no difference.

However, Pie & Beer have only paid lip service to FOS and requests for documentation so don't expect Pie & Beer to rush to meet their legal obligations.

FOS aren't in a position to shut down Pie & Beer, but ASIC can. The new National Credit Protection Act gives ASIC increased powers to shut down criminal organisations such as Pie & Beer.

Just let ASIC know each time Pie & Beer break the law. It wont do any harm to get your Federal MP to put pressure on ASIC each time Pie & Beer break the law. It wil be interesting to see the result of Pie & Beer's application for registration with ASIC as a credit provider.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pie and Beer and the phone today, they were offering me a 'great deal' if I accepted before the end of Jan. They would cut the amount they claim I owe by 50% if I agreed (in writing) to pay it. She seemed very surprised when I said no thanks.

Got letter from FOS today saying Pie and Beer still members of FOS for a year and despite their recent letter from Balls legal, there can be no action against any who have complained until it is resolved. Let the games begin... hope Greeno they didn't phone you whilst in dispute???

Hi there,

I have been following this thread with interest, I am in NZ. We have recently recieved a letter (see below) pertaining to one of our accounts. I need to know, if they can transfer this or only employ a local DCA to phone us up and pester us. from what I am reading here and read on the data protection act, I understand there is a chance that they are not allowed to do this. There is no CCJ or anything else. Empty threat or major problem?

I would apprecite some advice even if its a pointer in the right direction.

Letter from CCA below;

Dear X

FINAL NOTICE

You are advised that Annoying international company are preparing the above account for transfer to our legal representatives in your country. Tha additional costs involved with this process will increase the above outstanding balance.

In order to prevent this, you need to contact us on the telephone number below IMMEDIATLEY.

Yours Sincerely

hope Greeno they didn't phone you whilst in dispute???

I've not lodged a dispute with the FOS yet, happy to do so though. I'll dig around for some details on how to do it.

What did you complain about specifically (there's so much to choose from!)

Essentially, Pie & Beer no longer want to be a member of FOS probably because FOS is pressing Pie & Beer for compliance with NPP and the Privacy Act.

Hi all.. just got back from holidays.. the saga continues I see!

Just on FOS - they wouldn't be pushing P&B about privacy per se - it's not their concern. It's more likely that P&B has moved to withdraw from FOS because the complaints (as seen by P&B) are without merit, and simply putting barriers up for their collection activities.

That said, I think the complaints are entirely with merit. P&B obviously don't.

I wonder what action the PC will take once they all get back from their holidays...

Hi Taormina

Don't have any knowledge of NZ law but from what we have been working on (given that all our alleged debts are UK based)... unless CCJ issued when resident in UK -ABSOLUTELY NOTHING CAN BE DONE to recover your alleged debt... just a matter of telling the DCA in no uncertain terms so they leave you alone.... that seems easier said than done!! Good luck!

ps. CCA is a credit card agreement assuming that is typo?

Greeno... go back to post 365 from WA Newman (current Pie and Beer fighting legend!) and follow his instructions... I literally copied from the post... and emailed my complaint... took less than ten mins and stops all action from Pie and Beer until resolved! Will be back to post email address... give me ten...;)

Just opened a letter from our friends at Pie and beer, despite me requesting original CCA and all relevant docs they have posted their screen notes... a very amusing read! apparently it took 3 seperate staff and 9 months to find us... when we haven't moved in 6 years!! a quick flick through the phone book on line would have done it!! (talk about hard of learning!!) Anyway, today is 30 days from FOS for the onus on them to resolve situation, needless to say tommorrow I will be formalising our complaint and passing to ASIC... they haven't done a single thing I asked! That takes effort!

expatdebtor, nice to know they're consistent in the level of service. I waited 3 months for a dodgy photocopy of a single page of a statement. My FOS complaint went in today can't wait to see what they do about it, but I have a feeling that waiting is exactly what I will be doing, for quite some time.

Hi Taormina,

If the company that wrote to you is UK-based they COULD be in breach of the data protection act if they send your personal data to New Zealand. It may be worth writing back to remind them of the DPA. CC the letter to the company's data compliance officer and the data protection commissioner (someone on here can give you the address).

The letter says their "legal representatives" which may get around the DPA. Although debt collectors are not often legal representatives.

If there is no CCJ in the UK there is nothing to transfer collection to a NZ court. Any action would need to be taken in a NZ court. However, UK credit cards are covered under the CCA 1974 which states all actions in Magistrates Court of England & Wales. UK courts will not hear any case against you as you are now non-UK resident and unable to defend the case (being overseas). If you have been non-UK resident for over 3 years (I think) you can't be made bankrupt in the UK. Get the idea?

The debt still exists but it can't be enforced unless you move back to the UK. If you don't make a payment for 6 years, or acknowledge the debt in writing, or have a court judgement issued against you in this 6 years the debt becomes statute barred and will forever be unenforeable, even though the debt still exists.

The only hope they have is if you move back to the UK, if they can convince a NZ court to overide 200 years of statute and case law, or if you send them a cheque.

This is general advice NOT legal advice. See a local lawyer for specific legal advice. Hopefully it helps.

Hi there,

I have been following this thread with interest, I am in NZ. We have recently recieved a letter (see below) pertaining to one of our accounts. I need to know, if they can transfer this or only employ a local DCA to phone us up and pester us. from what I am reading here and read on the data protection act, I understand there is a chance that they are not allowed to do this. There is no CCJ or anything else. Empty threat or major problem?

I would apprecite some advice even if its a pointer in the right direction.

Letter from CCA below;

Dear X

FINAL NOTICE

You are advised that Annoying international company are preparing the above account for transfer to our legal representatives in your country. Tha additional costs involved with this process will increase the above outstanding balance.

In order to prevent this, you need to contact us on the telephone number below IMMEDIATLEY.

Yours Sincerely

Hi there

Hoping for some help. I've been living in oz for nearly 3 years and stopped paying a rbs loan 18 months ago. I've had a phonecall out of the blue the other day from debt collection asking me what my proposal was. I said i was unaware what they were talking about and the person said they would send me out information. What will i do?

grateful for any assistance here

The first step is to wait for the information they send you.

If they contact you again before they send the information, simply reply that you have no idea what they are talking about and that they had previously promised to send you information which has not been received. Finish the conversation by politely asking them not to contact you again until after they have sent out the information as promised.

Your following step depends on what is sent out (if anything).

Thx Guy's and Gals for the advice so far.

I'm sure a few more off us will turn up soon, and appreciate all the help so far.

I know it's a curly one and have asked the site owners to peruse and provide some advice if possible.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bodgit

Is there a link you can post up to link us to the Australian regulations/laws on debt collection from consumers? Maybe if some of us have a look through to see how Aus regs differ to our would be a useful point to begin with?

I would think that once a UK debt becomes statute barred it's done with and these companies can't go on chasing it in another country - let alone bring it back to life with a new lifespan as in your Aus 5 year life thing.

It's very interesting how they've had the nerve to do this.

My initial thoughts are that these debts would predominantly be "UK" debts and they can't just rebirth into a new country and get a new life like these companies trying to do.

I'll watch this with great interest as it's a lousy cheek from these companies - seems they'll stop at nothing?

hi guys

recieved something that resembles a CCa today from Pie & Beer, funny how it turned up the same day as the deadline fos gave them to send info to them, it quiet clearly states that it is regulated by the consumer credit act 1974, which i believe is only able to be heard in a court in england or wales, no CCJ has ever been issued, can anyone confirm this, let you know what response fos come back with as soon as pos

Hi

I've now been contacted by N"ML which appear to be an international DCA. They phoned my house looking for me and were told I wasn't there and the phone was put down. They mentioned a previous address that I occupied here in Australia over 2 years ago so looks like they're trying to trace me. Can this agency list any debt concerns which can effect my credit rating in Australia? I'm freaking as I applied for a homeloan the other day

Any advice regarding this would be great.

Anyone else heard from N"ML?

Edited by erinamanda
error