• Tweets

• Hi, If they haven't followed the court's directions there will be little tolerance of the court. Anyway please can you upload a copy of the court paperwork
    • Yes, you should have applied for an immediate strike out as soon as the deadline expired. Without the agreement, they are stuffed Forget Barclaycard, Asset link is now the creditor, and it is down to them to provide the agreement.  That needs to go into the witness statement. They have not provided the agreement contrary to directions of the court and request the court strike out the claim as to the original court directions.
    • I did not receive a notice via post but in my claim status it shows my claim was transferred to a court I requested in my DQ, as it is closer to me.    Defense I filed:  1.       The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2.       The defendant paid the lead tenant a fixed sum monthly bill without fail for the extent of the rental period of the accommodation their contract was associated with who was responsible to make payments to the claimant, ending in June 2023. 3.       After moving out, a month later, the claimant wrote to state that an outstanding sum existed. Further stating, as one of the 10 tenants at the time, I now owed them the full sum instead of my 1/10 proportion of said debt, as 10 students were at the dwelling. They also intimated that they were legally allowed to charge me the full sum if the other renters were not to pay their share under some equal and joint severity rule. 4.       Despite sending numerous requests prior to the court claim being raised for copies of said bills for said utilities covered by the agreement, the claimant failed to send any clear bills. This included a CPR 31.14 on xx/xx/xxxx sent via post. 5.       The defendants stress that they acted in good faith to settle the outstanding balance, as evidenced by the confirmation received from the claimant.  Any subsequent demands for additional payments are unwarranted and contradict the claimant's previous acknowledgment of settlement. 6.       Pursuant to OFGEM code of back billing rules the alleged charges relate to charges which have not been billed correctly by Co-operative Energy and are therefore prevented from charging. With the court’s permission the Claimant is put to strict proof to: - a) show and disclose how the Defendant has entered into an agreement. b) show and disclose how the Claimant has reached the amount claimed. c) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim. 7.As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation                  that the money is owed. 8.It is therefore denied that the defendant is indebted to the claimant as alleged or at all.
    • Paint is a free programme on any Windows PC. But don't worry, the choice here is not either perfection or nothing. As you say, use your scanner, save the file ... and then use the "choose files" option when you post to CAG to add the file. We can do all the redacting and converting to the correct file type at this end.  The important thing is just to get the info to us. Why not do an experiment this afternoon and see if the above works?  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

AK Claimform - MBNA card 'debt'

MeeBroke
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3341 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this Vic but not sure that legislation applies to my situation (or actually what it means)? Do you think it does or could you help me understand it a bit?

Thanks

MB

Hi MB

I take it to mean that if a DCA demands that payment be be made to them rather than the OC then somebody (either they or the OC) needs to provide notice of assignment and in so doing they assume responsibility for consumer rights compliance (including CCA) which would extend to lawyer goons acting on their behalf; this applies whether they have bought the debt (which was always the case) or are merely collecting it.

Now, I have yet to encounter a collecting DCA who will comply with the European Credit Directive (which is UK law). I should state that I am in a minority of one or two (if Tingy is extant) in advocating this. I hasten to add that I would not ask such a question if I believed that said DCA had actually bought the debt because a quite different game plan would apply.

x

v

Hi Meebroke,

I have only had one LBA and I knew it was not an idle threat, there is (and should be) a major difference so that you will know they mean business IMO.

I don't think many people scan their letters on here now because of the concerns over the identity issue so it isn't always easy to decide whether the letter is an idle threat.

Hopefully someone will advise that has has a similar letter

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update to say I've heard nothing again from Experto for a while. We've actually had to change our landline number, which is depressingly hard to believe.

So far, getting involved with Virgin (who it turned out was MBNA) has destroyed our credit rating and now caused us to change our phone number which we've had for 13 years- all because we had the nerve to ask how it was possible they could treble the interest on our account.

We've always been able to pay them but have chosen this path on principal. I have to say my enthusiasm is waning. It's been a few years and we are not one inch closer to the end than we were at the start.

In summary: MBNA did not have a valid CCA. They took almost a year to reveal this. They sent a defective DN. They sold on the debt before the DN had expired. They did not send any notification of Assignment. Experto now chasing on behalf of Verde. No contact from Verde whatsoever to even say who they are.

And here we are, still gainfully employed paying all of our bills on time as we always have-with the slight niggle of having a huge MBNA black mark on our credit record and some cowboys called 'Experto' harassing us to the point where we had to change our telephone number.

MB

Well you've avoided paying them for a few years ,a few more years and it will be statute barred anyway. I feel your pain having been in the same predicament with my mbna cards but if they want to hike an interest rate from 9% to 34% in search of more profit without responsibility then i'm happy not to pay them anything,with or without a cca.

Its tought dotty and the fact my credit rating is destroyed makes it a bit tougher but thank god i didn't go down the route of an IVA as id'd have been properly stuffed by now. I've had no pay rise for 2 years,wont get another one for at least 2 more and i'm trying to cope with utility prices going up by 20%,food by at least 10% and fuel by as much again....................i really dont know how people with mortages and rent to apy are getting by................and if that interest rate goes up ,which it surely will then the whole lot will collapse.Capitalism left unchecked and adminsitered by the greed at all costs mentality of business will bring this economy down,its just a matter of time.

• 2 months later...

Well, out of the blue...a letter from someone called Fairfax threatening to take legal action on behalf of Exp Cred. Should I bother responding? It tells me that I must ring them immediately (yeah right!) or settle the entire outstanding balance before 31 October.

Ignore or reply?

Thanks

MB

Well, it looks like the day of reckoning may be finally drawing near. I found this in another forum about Fairfax: (post 16 document) http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?317304-Help-needed-dealing-with-a-Northampton-CCBC-CCJ-claim-from-Santander-Cards-PLEASE!&p=3576556&highlight=fairfax#post3576556

There are two points I pick up from Fairfax's letter. The first is that they sent the letter 3 times for before proceeding to Court. The second is that Fairfax mentions in its letter that it has noted that they received no response to any of the 3 letters that were sent and that they would be making the court aware of this.

So, to my thinking, I should definitely respond to this letter. My intention is to lay out my position (for the millionth time) and tell them that I am anxious to proceed to court where I will robustly defend my position. Unless anyone thinks this unwise?

MB

Well, it looks like the day of reckoning may be finally drawing near. I found this in another forum about Fairfax: (post 16 document) http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?317304-Help-needed-dealing-with-a-Northampton-CCBC-CCJ-claim-from-Santander-Cards-PLEASE!&p=3576556&highlight=fairfax#post3576556

There are two points I pick up from Fairfax's letter. The first is that they sent the letter 3 times for before proceeding to Court. The second is that Fairfax mentions in its letter that it has noted that they received no response to any of the 3 letters that were sent and that they would be making the court aware of this.

So, to my thinking, I should definitely respond to this letter. My intention is to lay out my position (for the millionth time) and tell them that I am anxious to proceed to court where I will robustly defend my position. Unless anyone thinks this unwise?

MB

However, you have requested these documents prior havent you.. by way of CCA1974 and also SAR ?

The letter from Fairfax on the other thread is purely smoke and mirors IMHO. They are correct that by filing through NBCC they have avoided having to provide documents with the claim. However, they are obliged to actually have the documents in their possession in order to take the claim forward.. so why do they say they will now ask their client? Almost certainly a defendant will make a CPR request, apart from anything else, it is their right to have sight of the paperwork on which the claimant base their claim!!

Have you posted up a copy of the letter you have received?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks CB

The letter is identical the the one in post 39 here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?265706-experto-credite-default!/page2&highlight=fairfax

I have been agressively pursuing this since 2008. I have made a CCA request (which was fullfilled after about 6 months-believed to be faulty). MBNA then sent a faulty DN. They then UR'd. I SAR'd them and resulting Comms Log proves UR. They have sent no NOA. I have kept very accurate records and responded to all written correspondence.

Thanks CB

The letter is identical the the one in post 39 here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?265706-experto-credite-default!/page2&highlight=fairfax

I have been agressively pursuing this since 2008. I have made a CCA request (which was fullfilled after about 6 months-believed to be faulty). MBNA then sent a faulty DN. They then UR'd. I SAR'd them and resulting Comms Log proves UR. They have sent no NOA. I have kept very accurate records and responded to all written correspondence.

Then I would say, you have two choices, either ignore it and let them move forward or you could bullet point your previous communications with the masses.. You say that you have received no NOA.. I wonder if the draft letter below would be of any use to you.. suitably amended of course.

[ATTACH]31028[/ATTACH]

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks again CB

Would I send that (amended) letter to Exp Cred or Fairfax?

I would think send it to Fairfax and copy it to Exp Cred.. :)

BCOBS

Thanks CB and MB

Im in the same boat, but will send the standard response back so they cant get me on the you are ignoring me card.

What do you mean by the 'standard response' Capricorn, a template from here or one of your own?