bitesizedeals.co.uk - Refusing to cancel order!!!

SMJones
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5130 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Like a lot of people, I've been duped, thinking this was UK based firm!!!

Wanting to capture my daughters firtst xmas on film, I purchased a camcorder worth nearly £700 and I am now at my wits end not knowing if I’ll get my refund.

I sent an email on the 17th December telling bitesizedeals.co.uk to cancel my order (for the second time), but without any success.

Trying to keep this post short, my email included the following, which they have kindly commented on:

I placed this order in good faith in the belief that I was dealing with a British company.

At no point did you indicate that you would be shipping the item from the United States and that I would consequently be subject to import duty and sales taxes.

I then received the following response:

Please rest assured that you are not liable for any charges further from when you placed your order. The price indicated on our website includes everything, even delivery.Also, as of December 10, per our terms and conditions: During the holiday rush all orders are final - we cannot accept cancellations. We apologize for the inconvenience.

So when does the holiday rush begin? There's no dates specified!!!

I have since sent a third cancellation email and received:

We apologize for any inconvenience caused. Unfortunately, we are not accepting cancellations during the Christmas season. In accordance with our terms and conditions, all sales are final during the Christmas season and no cancellaions are accepted.

Why can’t I just get my money back? I haven’t received my goods, nor have I have confirmation of what’s happening with my order.

I made my order on the 8th December, but the only update I have had for my order was on the 9th December. This was after a bitesizedeals.co.uk representative called me pestering me for my delivery details, and then was sent an email confirmation of the phone call and telling me in writing that my order would be shipped by the end of the week (12th December). The representative stated, by mouth, that my order will arrive 15th December.

I attempted to obtain an update on my order, as my status was still showing as ‘In process’, but I have yet to receive any response to this email. As of now, my status is still unchanged. That’s 10 days now!!!

What rights do I have? I have spoken with my credit card company, and they’re not being much help. I have told them I would like to make Section 75 claim, but shouldn’t they be doing something for me before I go this far?

What do I do if it now arrives, even though I have attempted to cancel my order three times now?

I’m also worried that the camcorder will not be a UK model, and won’t be covered under the warranty.

I know if it was a UK firm, I would have more rights under Distance Selling Regulations, but being a US firm what rights do I have?

I find the website to be very misleading. No geographical address, so I’m unable to write to them.

I have spoken with Trading Standards but they’re unfamiliar with US consumer laws.

I have since received a ‘junk’ email from bitesizedeal.co.uk advertising some special offers they have. Unlike the actual website, it has detailed an address. A UK address??? In Nottingham to be exact!!??? Doesn’t this imply that bitesizedeals.co.uk operates in the UK?

So many questions, but please help me – this is tearing me apart!!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They do clearly state on their website that they are based in the USA.

Aside from this, you haven't really explained why you feel you have been duped, or why you want to cancel?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...
Like a lot of people, I've been duped, thinking this was UK based firm!!!

So many questions, but please help me – this is tearing me apart!!!

Bitesizedeals co.uk and bestpricedbrands.co.uk is a [problem] operation run by an individual called Jaivin Karnani out of Pasadena and Vernon, California.

Both websites are Internet false-front operations intended to deceive prospective purchasers into thinking they are dealing with a UK-based supplier of UK-specification goods.

The websites make fraudulent claims about customer credit card transactions being covered by ControlScan Inc and VeriSign. The websites also contain terms & conditions unforceable under UK Law (but then, that's why Karnani operates from the USA.)

You need to go to MSE if you require further up-to-date details:

WARNING about Bite Size Deals.co.uk - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

• 3 months later...

Paid by credit card? Take it up with them.

Also teh DSRs may apply depending on where the contract can be said to be formed. I would argue that if they are using the .uk domain, and advertising to UK customers, then the should be bound by EU law.

Unfortunately, having a .uk domain name does not make them subject to UK law - this is a byproduct of allowing non-UK entities to buy them in the first place!

That said, this really does look like a [problem]. Not only has a US company registered a UK domain, they have used a German registrar to do so. You might be well placed to complain to Nominet (who are responsible for .uk domains) about the blatant misuse of one of their domains.

fix (vb.):

1. to paper over, obscure, hide from public view;

2. to work around, in a way that produces unintended consequences that are worse than the original problem.

Usage: "Vista fixes many of the shortcomings of Windows XP".

Bitesizedeals co.uk and bestpricedbrands.co.uk is a [problem] operation run by an individual called Jaivin Karnani out of Pasadena and Vernon, California.

Both websites are Internet false-front operations intended to deceive prospective purchasers into thinking they are dealing with a UK-based supplier of UK-specification goods.

The websites make fraudulent claims about customer credit card transactions being covered by ControlScan Inc and VeriSign. The websites also contain terms & conditions unforceable under UK Law (but then, that's why Karnani operates from the USA.)

You need to go to MSE if you require further up-to-date details:

WARNING about Bite Size Deals.co.uk - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

HHmm..THE MSE posts have been removed due to legal threats from bitesize deals, MSE are investigating, I guess the result of this will throw a lot of light onto this company.

I would of though contacting your credit card company would be the best bet, after it it is they that have actually bought the product in question.

Obvioulsy if the product does turn up then this will be more tricky. It appears to me that the site is a bit of a con, after all there is no real reason why US goods would be a lot cheaper, far eastern maybe.

Good Luck

Andy

BSD's decision to threaten MSE is one it'll likely live to regret, seeing as how the mass of documented evidence developed on the MSE thread was impressive. (But then, why else would BSD seek to get the thread shut down?)

In the temporary absence of the MSE thread, it's possible that other prospective or actual BSD customers might alight on this thread, and this forum -- good news for all concerned.

It would be helpful if posters to this forum would be kind enough to validate any allegations made rather than simply reeling off lists of websites.

The absence of such validation not only calls into question the accuracy of the posts, it also has the potential to damage the reputation of a perfectly honest online enterprise -- and to place at risk a forum such as this.

Edited by 42man

• 4 weeks later...

I have also just had a similar experience with bitesizedeals.co.uk.

I hastily ordered an XRite Color Munki from them for a birthday present. When the confirmation emails dropped into my spam filter folder with all sorts warnings against opening the emails I became suspicious. It was only then that I looked at the website again and realised that all was not as it appeared and the company was in fact based in the USA although this fact is not exactly made clear (i.e. written in small font at the bottom of one of their webpages)

I tried to cancel the order on the order history page using the Cancel button however I was just presented with some bogus message saying that due to the "high volume of orders cancellations were not being accepted - and the message added "Happy Holidays". I ordered this on 23rd April so this message was clearly out of date.

I then emailed "Customer services" and asked to cancel the order. I did get a reply from Zoe asking why I wanted to cancel the order. I explained that I thought I was buying from a UK company and so wanted to canel the order and buy the product from a UK company in order to be protected under UK law.

That was the last communication I received from any person at bitesizedeals.co.uk until 2 weeks later when I recieved notification of a UPS tracking number. My requests to cancel my order and recieve a refund have been deliberately ignored. Obviously if I do recieve my order (and I fully expect to have to pay import duty on it in addition) then I cannot technically claim that I have been defrauded. However their customer services fall so far below what would be expected as a minimum when dealing with a UK/EU company that their use of a co.uk domain can only be

described as deliberately misleading.

I would therefore urge anyone contemplating purchasing from this company to read very carefully their Terms and Conditions and Returns and Refunds policy before placing any orders. It is in my view worth paying a little more from a UK/EU company in order to ensure your consumer rights are protected. I was caught out and I am normally quite sensible when buying online, just once I was complacent and now I regret it.

Edited by MarcP
correcting grammar

How can this company get away with being so dishonest? I feel like a fool for being so trusting and have had an identical experience to mulitple people who have posted their stories on different websites about this company. I used a debit card but apparently this may be refundable if you contact your bank and ask to try and claim the money back.

Currently, i have no camera and am £117 down. What's infuriating is that amazon.co.uk linked the bitesized deals website which made me think they were reputable.

This is a copy of my latest email to this company:

Re: Order BK-090429-161201-2173 CANCEL this order and REFUND IMMEDIATELY

Hi,

www.bitesizedeals.co.uk is a name for UK business. I have discovered that you are not UK based and I will incur tax (which you fail to mention).

You stated on your website that you held 12 in stock.

Even though I paid for one on 29th April 2009 your site still states that you still have 12 in stock.

You state on your site “Our prices include P&P”.

You charged me £5.

From your website:

Customer Service!

It's no surprise that Bitesizedeals has become the Internet destination of choice. We know that the secret to running a successful business is keeping our customers happy. We set out to provide our customers with the kind of world-class service that keeps them coming back for more. Our customers are our priority and providing them with excellent customer service is necessary to our businesses success. “

I have had no response to any of my previous emails.

My account shows you have made no progress since 29th April 2009.

REFUND MY MONEY.

Regards

andrew

To: [email protected]

Sent: Wednesday, 29 April, 2009 4:12:05 PM

Subject: New Order Placed

Bite Size Deals -- Order Status Change Email BiteSizeDeals LogoOur Guanrantee

Dear Bite Size Deals Customer,

Thank you for your recent order (placed Apr 29 2009 16:06).

Your Order Number is BK-090429-161201-2173.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grand Total: £1,004.00

Shipping Address:

Itemized Order:

Quantity Product Name Price 1x Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens £999.00

This is a copy of my latest email to this company

Edited by upsettertoo
Address etc details had been included

Hi guys, I too have been duped into an order with this outfit and not had any joy getting a response. I emailed them yesterday to say that if I have not heard from them in 3 days I will lodge a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and also the FBI Internet Fraud Dept. I will let you know the result in due course.

Recieved this email:

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your e-mails. As requested I have forwarded your order to our Order Cancellation Department. All orders are cancelled in the order they are received. Once it has been confirmed you will receive an e-mail confirmation.

Per Distant Selling Regulations we will ensure the refund is given within 30 days, possibly sooner.

Regards,

Jillian

So perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel !

Update to my previous post, have received email from Bitesize to say that my order has been put forward for cancellation. Will now have to wait to see if refund materializes. No mention of how long this will be so i'm keeping everything crossed. Will let you know in due course!!

Latest update:

Hi Julian

I am a little confused. My Account on your website records that the order was cancelled on the 12th May 2007 and "Note: Refunds to credit cards take 5-7 days to process". But in your email you give a 30 day timeframe.

Regards

andrew

Here is the latest exchange:

Hi Zoe

Thanks for you email.

But your website records that the status of the order IS cancelled.

Regards

andrew

To: ANDREW NEILL

Sent: Monday, 18 May, 2009 11:42:14 PM

Subject: RE: Order BK-090429-161201-2173 CANCEL this order and REFUND IMMEDIATELY

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your email and I apologize for the delay in responding as well as the delay in getting your refund to you. Your order is currently pending cancellation, once it is actually cancelled is when you will be receiving the full refund.

Regards,

Zoe

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: Re: Order BK-090429-161201-2173 CANCEL this order and REFUND

IMMEDIATELY

Date: Thu, May 14, 2009 9:45 am

To:

#wmMessage DIV {margin:0px;}
Hi Julian

I am a little confused. My Account on your website records that the order was cancelled on the 12th May 2007 and "Note: Refunds to credit cards take 5-7 days to process". But you in your email you give a 30 day timeframe.

Regards

andrew

To:
ANDREW NEILL

Sent:
Tuesday, 12 May, 2009 3:14:22 PM

Subject:
RE: Order BK-090429-161201-2173 CANCEL this order and REFUND IMMEDIATELY

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your e-mails. As requested I have forwarded your order to our Order Cancellation Department. All orders are cancelled in the order they are received. Once it has been confirmed you will receive an e-mail confirmation.

Per Distant Selling Regulations we will ensure the refund is given within 30 days, possibly sooner.

Regards,

Jillian

Hi like many people i have been messed about but not to the extent of some people. I ordered a camera on 28th APRIL but after reading so many bad posts here and on other forums decided to cancel owing to the company not being UK based.Contact is VERY slow but i did get a mail on 13th MAY to say that my order had been put forward for cancellation.However today 19th May i get a mail to say that my order has been shipped via UPS with a tracking number. So perhaps i'll maybe get my camera.This company is really the pits at communication,you really need to send lots of email daily to get a reply.Will post if camera is delivered.

:)Well folks,my camera was delivered today 21st May by DHL.I didn't have to pay any extra which I had expected although I had received email from Bitesize to confirm that there would be nothing to pay as per their website. I have had stuff from the States before and had to pay Import duty and UK Vat. Don't know how they do it,I just hope thats the end of it. As to the camera its exactly what I ordered,the battery charger is typically American with two flat pins. They have however supplied a travel adapter which fits the charger and UK sockets. I quite like this arrangement as there are no wires. On the downside I'm not sure how I stand as regards the warranty.I have registered the product on the Panasonic website but it doesn't say whether this activates the warranty, i'll keep my fingers crossed on that one. Although I have had a result as regards my order I wouldn't recommend going through the process as it is stressful when you get to read the negative reports from other people after placing an order as I, did thinking I was dealing with a UK company. After all the bad publicity I got my camera at the cheapest price on the net.Hope my experience is of use to other people.Best of luck to people who are still trying to get some satifaction from this company.

I have been less than impressed with BSD, however everything has worked out in the end.

I ordered goods on 10th April 09, money went from my account on 15th April, two weeks later I start to get concerned after reading so many negative reports about BSD (my fault for not doing a more thorough search!).

I contacted my Bank about getting money back through Visa Debit Chargeback, they said they have to give one month and asked for full details.

9th May I went on holiday and have just returned to find an email from BSD to say item shipped on 15t May and a tracking email from DHL. The parcel was with my neighbour and the item is perfect.

I have now checked my Bank account to see money refunded on 15th May! Ooops!

I would certainly not reccomend BSD to anyone even though I have got the goods.

I have notified my Bank and will await an email from BSD.

DON'T TOUCH BITESIZEDEALS."CO.UK" WITH A BARGE POLE!!!!

I was keen to get what I thought was a reasonable bargain but this site wasn't worth it. Once I had placed my order (25/5/09) the alarm bells started ringing because there was no indication in the acknowledgement email of when my order would be shipped, or any delivery date. The email also uses some dodgy lo-res graphics that look as if they've been cut and pasted from someone else's website.

About an hour or so after I had placed my order I received an unsolicited call from an unidentified number, from someone claiming to be with bitesizedeals, who proceeded to ask me specific details about my identity, address and credit card, including asking me - three times - to disclose the 3-digit security code on the back of the card. I refused to give him this information and he hung up. He told me this was their policy to "protect our customers"(?!).

I was really concerned after this and checked websites regarding this bunch and others' experiences. Then I consulted my bank (26/5/09). They told me the transaction had been authorised. They advised me to keep an audit trail and to tell them if the goods were not delivered in which case they might be able to do something to recover the situation.

Today (30/5/09), after sending repeated emails to their support email address (they state they need between 48-72 hours to respond due to high demand and tell you to "Have a wonderful day!" :razz:) I've checked the site again and the order was cancelled on 27/5/09. The emails I sent asking for information were all ignored and they didn't even see fit to tell me they had arbitrarily cancelled the order.

But that will probably not be the end of it as I see from other posts that even the cancellation process is characterised by the same obfuscation and ambiguity as everything else to do with these people.

My order was for a family birthday gift and I hope to get all the elements delivered from Amazon by the due date. These people may be as cheap as chips but they're about as reliable as a chocolate fireguard and should be avoided at all costs. The sooner they're starved of business the sooner they will go out of business.

I will never not use Amazon again as they have proved to be absolutely reliable over several years - and that is worth more than any "saving" you might make by dealing with apparent cowboys.

Great website, more power to our (collective) elbows!!

Hello, I hope some one can help me, Yesterday I stupidly in haste purchased a camera Panasonic DMC-FZ28k £218

online from Bitesizedeals I paid with my halifax visa debit card, I contacted the bank but they say the transaction had been autherised and I have to wait a month and if the item is not delivered they can try to do something.This morning I googled the BSD and came across this thread, My Fault I know I should have researched them First sad.gif This is the first time anything like this has happened to me. Should I try to cancel Now?

What should I do now...please help

Thanks

Kim

Unfortunately you've fallen into the same trap as a lot of other people. :| Do make sure you keep copies of all the documentation relating to your order and notes of any contact you have with these people. It's a good idea to organise stuff in chronological order so that a sequence of events can be established. That way if you dispute the transaction you should have a stronger case with your card provider to demonstrate you acted in good faith.

Keep checking the website as that's how I found out my order had been "cancelled." If it says yours has been cancelled make sure you write to them again requesting details of when your money will be refunded. They say between 5 and 7 days on the website, and hopefully they'll honour that at least.

I have`nt written to them yet I ordered it at Order Date/Time: May 29 2009 15:00 then like you, about an hour later I recieved a phone call requesting detailes, I don`t know what I was thinking but I gave him the three digit security code That card has now been canceled. What should i say to them in the email to them?

Sorry but i`ve never had to do anything like this