PCN from MET Parking Services

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5014 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks for the info asmodeus!

Have the receipt from the garage. I asked them to take the car out to test an intermittent fault.

I think I will just go with the full ignore strategy TBH, doesn't seem worth the effort of getting in touch with Roxburghe and can only result in more hassle for me!

Feel for the less informed who may fall for this extortion attempt, particularly in the run up to Christmas! How McDonalds can think it makes good business sense to use the services of these criminals is beyond me!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

I've been reading everyone's stories carefully and would really appreciate some help with my own MET problem. I also parked in the Brewery in Romford in December 2008 and displayed my ticket, came back within the set time and found a supposed 'PCN' on my windscreen. I sent them the ticket straight away as proof of purchase and have been receiving letters from them all year. I have been answering them even though you've all been saying to ignore them.

At the start I copied a letter to the BPA but heard nothing, Citizens Advice told me to pay it and I was quite amazed - no way am I going to pay when I bought the ticket in the first place! I wrote to the Office of Fair Trading in October 2009 and they said MET are unlicenced and that I should go to my local Trading Standards. I waited to see what MET would say (if anything) but they still sent me another final reminder and so yesterday I went to Romford Trading Standards in person and spoke to a lady there. She said they could take me to court over it as I put the ticket on the back shelf (as I have done for the past seven years in various car parks depending on which way my car was facing). But how is that a cause to sue someone?!

I know everyone says ignore them and I really would love to but if Trading Standards are saying this sort of thing do I really have a chance? Surely there must be some organisation that can protect us from these sort of sharks!

Hi.

I've been reading everyone's stories carefully and would really appreciate some help with my own MET problem. I also parked in the Brewery in Romford in December 2008 and displayed my ticket, came back within the set time and found a supposed 'PCN' on my windscreen. I sent them the ticket straight away as proof of purchase and have been receiving letters from them all year.

Why are you giving them so much credibility, you do realise this is a [problem] don't you?

I have been answering them even though you've all been saying to ignore them.

That is why they are pestering you, they think you are panicking and will pay if they up the threat level. That is why we say IGNORE.

At the start I copied a letter to the BPA but heard nothing,

More waste of YOUR time and a stamp.

Citizens Advice told me to pay it

Citizens advice really should stop giving advice about things they know nothing about. It is like asking me about nuclear physics.

and I was quite amazed - no way am I going to pay when I bought the ticket in the first place!

It seems the right idea is starting to sink in. That is also why they would not win if they did try to take you to court.

I wrote to the Office of Fair Trading in October 2009 and they said MET are unlicenced and that I should go to my local Trading Standards. I waited to see what MET would say (if anything) but they still sent me another final reminder and so yesterday I went to Romford Trading Standards in person and spoke to a lady there. She said they could take me to court over it as I put the ticket on the back shelf (as I have done for the past seven years in various car parks depending on which way my car was facing). But how is that a cause to sue someone?!

It just goes to show that those tasked with helping people sometimes are really clueless. As a side line anybody can 'sue' anybody for anything, whether they win or not is another matter.

I know everyone says ignore them and I really would love to but if Trading Standards are saying this sort of thing do I really have a chance?

And the reason everyone says ignore is to stop people like you getting themselves all worked up over nothing and running round to different organisations in a panick. If you are going to ignore the advice to ignore the PPC, like you have read we tell everyone, then why are you on here?

Surely there must be some organisation that can protect us from these sort of sharks!

Yes, it's called the Consumer Action Group, but you have to listen to their advice.

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

Hey Letshelp

Thanks for replying to my post, it's really scary to think they are probably sending poor old ladies this type of thing and they are just paying out of fear and ignorance. That's what I mean about Citizens Advice and that Trading Standards branch - they are meant to give help to ordinary people in the street but they tell you the fees could go to hundreds and hundreds of pounds and you feel you should trust them because they're from advisory companies.

It would be great if we could shut these sort of cowboys down but as I know from watching years of Watchdog, they can just open up with a different name.

Thanks again, I'll tell everyone I know about this :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know I have nothing new to report ;)

I last posted in August 09 and I am pleased to say that I haven't heard diddley-squat from Met\Roxburge\Michael Sobell\Debt Collectors in months now.

I received all the usual letters\threats\final demands and they even went so far as to phone me. I did not pay them a penny and they did eventually give up.

Please do the same, you will NOT end up in court. Guaranteed!

Many thanks once again to all concerned on the CAG forums.

Cheers,

Tony

This is good news Tony!

Got my second (and presumably final) letter from Michael Sobell yesterday so hoping I am done also. They were all delivered in TNT recorded envelopes with barcodes on the front. Not sure if this is a new trick..

They phoned you? Jesus. I've told my husband if anyone calls for me other than my bank or people I know, to say there is no-one of that name living here. Btw I also found out online that only police and councils are allowed to obtain owner information from the DVLA from a numberplate, so they are right devious b*stards.

I'm so glad I found this site, there is very little info out there for the consumer sadly.

DVLA selling details = money for our dear and beloved Mr Brown :mad:

Almost anyone with whatever they class a good reason can obtain this information on payment of their fee

Yes they do phone and they caught my wife unawares so number was confirmed as mine. This did not do them any good as they were simply invited to take it to court or desist. I am currently patiently awaiting court documents to be served but have a feeling I might be quite a while.

Edited by asmodeus

Btw I also found out online that only police and councils are allowed to obtain owner information from the DVLA from a numberplate, so they are right devious b*stards.

Your sources are not right. The DVLA hold the registered keeper only. The RK may or may not be the owner. The councils are allowed to assume they are one and the same person under the RTA 1991 and the TMA 2004.

Private companies and individuals have to demonstrate "just" cause for obtaining the RK details from the DVLA. They then pay for the information. The judas's at the DVLA will sell the RK details for 30 pieces of silver (£2.50 in today's money). Insurance companies use this facility as do the PPC scumbags.

I'm so glad I found this site, there is very little info out there for the consumer sadly.

Spread the word to your friends. The more people who know the less people they will be able to [problem]. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw I also found out online that only police and councils are allowed to obtain owner information from the DVLA from a numberplate, so they are right devious b*stards.

This isn't true. Anybody with "reasonable cause" can request the RKs name and address from the DVLA.

What constitutes "reasonable cause" from the point of view of the DVLA is usually anyone willing to pay them £2.50 for the information!

Hi all, another update on my met parking case. I've heard nothing since my fourth letter, nearly 3 months ago. I've ignored from the start as advised from this site and will continue to if i ever hear from them again. Not going to hold my breath though. Thankyou LETSHELP and all others that have supported and advised me along the way, Happy New Year Everyone :)

I received all the usual letters\threats\final demands and they even went so far as to phone me. I did not pay them a penny and they did eventually give up.

Please do the same, you will NOT end up in court. Guaranteed!

Many thanks once again to all concerned on the CAG forums.

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks for coming back on Tony. One of the problems of the forum is that people visiting the site see that lot's of people post asking for advice, but after the PPC has given up very few report back, so newbies are left wondering if the advuce really works. Well newbies here is proof that the advice does work.

Pinkrat, you are welcome, spread the word.

regards

I've heard nothing since my fourth letter, nearly 3 months ago

You are probably about due for the desperation phone call from MET posing as a solicitor (GW aka M Sorbell). Again ignore with perhaps either a 'no one by that name here', 'sorry I cannot help you' or 'nothing to do with me' as reply and replace handset before they an answer.

Well done and thanks for the feedback

Just to let people know, got my ticket at Macdonalds in Gatwick in June 09.

Ignored everthing recieved and had a final warning from Sobell on 8th december.

Not heard anything since or had any phone calls as the car is registered to my business so easy to trace.

Ignore everything and they will go away.

Just to let people know, got my ticket at Macdonalds in Gatwick in June 09.

Ignored everthing recieved and had a final warning from Sobell on 8th december.

Not heard anything since or had any phone calls as the car is registered to my business so easy to trace.

Ignore everything and they will go away.

Thanks for the update, sadly very few come back to report that everything turned out ok. Thanks again much appreciated.

regards

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys (and gals), I am clearly overdue for my update! A quick recap:

Received an 'offensive article' on my windscreen in Dec 08 despite displaying my ticket which was still valid, spent the next 8-9 months writing back to them within their precious 14 days while they waited 2-3 months to reply to me (I know you're rolling your eyes but I hadn't found this site then!) In about Sep/Oct 09 I sent all previous correspondence and a new letter to the OFT who wrote back just a couple of weeks later informing me that MET were unlicensed and referring me to my local Trading Standards.

Do not go to Trading Standards, she said they would pursue it with the bailiffs etc and offered zero help!

Anyway as the last letter I said I'd write to them, I just sent a copy of the OFT letter and said 'please see attached........' and lo and behold, a few weeks later I get a reply saying they are 'reviewing the case!' Funny how they never mentioned it before.....

But whatever, I've not heard from them since Nov 09 and even if I do, I am not contacting them again. All of you have been extremely helpful and now I only use car parks where you pay on departure (no matter who runs them) or which are free!

Keep fighting and thanks to everyone :-)

Do not go to Trading Standards, she said they would pursue it with the bailiffs etc and offered zero help!

Even those that are supposed to help the public don't know what they are talking about.

regards

• 5 months later...

Hi all, I'm a newbie. Was reading the thread with interest as I was sent a MET PCN for being in McDonald's for 304 minutes(I left my car there and went to watch Inception with a friend). They have photographic of me entering and leaving the car park. Do I bravely ignore as you have said or should I pay. I'm also curious as to whether not paying will affect my credit rating as they have suggested.

Thanks in advance.

Totally ignore everything they send you,its all bluster.

Do not waste any time or postage sending replies.

Eventually they will try to ring you.

Just ask them to confirm who was driving.

They will ask you who was driving,if it was you do not admit to driving but do not lie either, just say its down to them to find out.

This will be 6 months down the road though.

It cannot affect your credit rating unless it goes to court and they will not do that.

Ignore all