• Tweets

• Thanks FTMDave, I like the cut of your jib - I'll go with that and obtain proof of postage. Encouraging that NPE have never followed through and seem to blowing hot air, let's see where they go after this   Regards
    • Please see my comments in orange within your post.
    • no i meant the email from parcel2go which email address did they send it from and who signed it off (whos name is at the bottom)
    • I understand confusion with this thread.  I tried to keep threads separate because there have been so many angles.    But a team member merged them all.  This is why it's hard to keep track. This forum exists to help little people fight injustice - however big or small.  Im here to try get a decent resolution. Not to give in to the ' big boys'. My "matter' became complicated 'matters' simply because a lender refused to sell a property. What can I say?  I'll try in a nutshell to give an overview: There's a long lease property. I originally bought it short lease with a s.146 on it from original freeholder.  I had no concerns. So lender should have been able to sell a well-maintained lovely long lease property.  The property was great. The issue is not the property.  Economy, sdlt increases, elections, brexit, covid, interest hikes etc didn't help.  The issue is simple - the lender wanted to keep it.   House or Flat? Before repo I offered to clear my loan.  I was a bit short and lender refused.  They said (recorded) they thought the property was worth much more and they were happy to keep accruing interest (in their benefit) until it reached a point where they felt they could repo and still easily quickly sell to get their £s back.  This was a mistake.  The market was (and is) tough.   2y later the lender ceo bid the same sum to buy the property for himself. He'd rejected higher offers in the intervening period whilst accruing interest. Lenders have a legal obligation to sell the property for the best price they can get. If they feel the offer is low they won't sell it, because it's likely the borrower will say the same. I had the property under offer to a fantastic niche buyer but lender rushed to repo and buyer got spooked and walked.  It had taken a long time to find such a lucrative buyer.  A sale which would have resulted in £s and another asset for me. Post repo lender had 1 offer immediately.  But dragged out the process for >1y - allegedly trying to get other offers. But disclosure shows there was only one valid buyer. Again, points as above. Lender appointed receiver (after 4 months) - simply to try acquire the freehold.  He used his powers as receiver to use me, as leaseholder, to serve notice on freeholders.  Legally that failed. Meanwhile lender failed to secure property - and squatters got in (3 times).  And they failed to maintain it.  So freeholders served a dilapidations notice (external) - on me as leaseholder (cc-ed to lender).   (That's how it works legally) Why serve a delapidations notice? If it's in the terms of the lease to maintain the property to a good standard, then serve an S146 notice instead as it's a clear breach of the lease. I don't own the freehold.  But I am a trustee and have to do right by the freeholders.  This is where matters got/ get complicated.  And probably lose most caggers.   Lawyers got involved for the freeholders to firstly void the receiver enfranchisement notice. Secondly, to serve the dilapidations notice.  The lack of maintenance was in breach of lease and had to be served to protect fh asset. Enfranchisement isn't something that can be "voided", it's in the Leasehold Reform Act 1967 that leaseholders have the right to buy the freehold of the property. It's normal, whether it is a "normal" leaseholder or a repossession with a leasehold house, to claim this right of enfranchisement and sell the property with said rights attached and the purchase price of the freehold included in the final completion price. That's likely what the mortgage provider wished to do. The lender did no repairs. They said a buyer would undertake them. Which was probably correct. If they had sold. After 1y lender finally agreed to sell to the 1st offeror and contracts went with lawyers.  Within 1 month lender reneged.  Lender tried to suggest buyer walked. Evidence shows he/ his lawyers continued trying to exchange (cash) for 4 months.  Evidence shows lender and receiver strategy had been to renege and for ceo to take control.   I still think that's their plan. Redact and scan said evidence up for others to look at? Lender then stupidly chose to pretty much bulldoze the property.  Other stuff was going on in the background. After repo I was in touch by phone and email and lender knew post got to me.   Despite this, after about 10 months (before and then during covid), they deliberately sent SDs and eventually a B petition to an incorrect address and an obscure small court.  They never served me properly.  (In hindsight I understand they hoped to get a backdoor B - so they could keep the property that way.)  Eventually the random court told them to email me by way of service.  At this point their ruse to make me B failed.  I got a lawyer (friend paid). The B petition was struck out. They’d failed to include the property as an asset. They were in breach of insolvency rules. So this is dealt with then. Simultaneously the receiver again appointed lawyers to act on my behalf as leaseholder. This time to serve notice on the freeholders for a lease extension.  He had hoped to try and vary the strict lease. Evidence shows the already long length of lease wasn't an issue.  The lender obviously hoped to get round their lack of permission to do works (which they were already doing) by hoping to remove the strict clauses that prevent leaseholder doing alterations.  You wouldn't vary a lease through a lease extension. You'd need a Deed of Variation for that. This may be done at the same time but the lease has already been extended once and that's all they have a right to. The extension created a new legal angle for me to deal with.  I had to act as trustee for freeholders against me as leaseholder/ the receiver.  Inconsistencies and incompetence by receiver lawyers dragged this out 3y.  It still isn't properly resolved. The lease has already been extended once so they have no right to another extension. It seems pretty easy to just get the lawyer to say no and stick by those terms as the law is on your side there. Meanwhile - going back to the the works the lender undertook. The works were consciously in breach of lease.  The lender hadn't remedied the breaches listed in the dilapidations notice.  They destroyed the property.  The trustees compiled all evidence.  The freeholders lawyers then served a forfeiture notice. This notice started a different legal battle. I was acting for the freeholders against what the lender had done on my behalf as leaseholder.  This legal battle took 3y to resolve. Again, order them to revert it as they didn't have permission to do the works, or else serve an S146 notice for breach of the lease. The simple exit would have been for lender to sell. A simple agreement to remedy the breaches and recompense the freeholders in compensation - and there's have been clean title to sell.  That option was proposed to them.   This happened by way of mediation for all parties 2y ago.  A resolution option was put forward and in principle agreed.  But immediately after the lender lawyers failed to engage.  A hard lesson to learn - mediation cannot be referred to in court. It's considered w/o prejudice. The steps they took have made no difference to their ability to sell the property.  Almost 3y since they finished works they still haven't sold. ** ** I followed up some leads myself.  A qualified cash buyer offered me a substantial sum.  The lender and receiver both refused it.   I found another offer in disclosure.  6 months later someone had apparently offered a substantial sum via an agent.  The receiver again rejected it.  The problem of course was that the agent had inflated the market price to get the business. But no-one was or is ever going to offer their list price.  Yet the receiver wanted/wants to hold out for the list price.  Which means 1y later not only has it not sold - disclosure shows few viewings and zero interest.  It's transparently over-priced.  And tarnished. For those asking why I don't give up - I couldn't/ can't.  Firstly I have fiduciary duties as a trustee. Secondly, legal advice indicates I (as leaseholder) could succeed with a large compensation claim v the lender.  Also - I started a claim v my old lawyer and the firm immediately reimbursed some £s. That was encouraging.  And a sign to continue.  So I'm going for compensation.  I had finance in place (via friend) to do a deal and take the property back off the lender - and that lawyer messed up bad.   He should have done a deal.  Instead further years have been wasted.   Maybe I only get back my lost savings - but that will be a result.   If I can add some kind of complaint/ claim v the receiver's conscious impropriety I will do so.   I have been left with nothing - so fighting for something is worth it. The lender wants to talk re a form of settlement.  Similar to my proposal 2y ago.  I have a pretty clear idea of what that means to me.  This is exactly why I do not give up.  And why I continue to ask for snippets of advice/ pointers on cag.  
    • It was all my own work based on my previous emails to P2G which Bank has seen.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Who has had Managed Loans?

ppauls150
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5265 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HSBC tried to force my husband down the managed loan route to pay off an overdraft almost entirely composed of their bank charges (the snowball effect). I insisted that he sought independent free advice from the Consumer Credit Counselling service and they suggested a Debt Management Plan. HSBC didn't like this response so the matter was referred to their solicitors who ignored my husbands letters until I rolled my sleeves up & got stuck in (I have legal qualifications which made them back down & be reasonable).

Please see the CCCS re advice even if you've been forced into taking out a managed loan. Open a parachute account 1st. It gets ugly but no more ugly than paying HSBC interest for a loan you wouldn't have needed if it wasn't for their unfair charges. Besides, isn't it funny they won't give you a loan at a reasonable rate to pay off your debts but will then force you into a managed loan which charges more interest?!!

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a managed loan as a result of my overdraft charges I am now trying to reclaim.

From February to July 2005 I was in some personal and financial difficulty and repeatedly requested an overdraft facility of £300 from HSBC. They consistently refused and my financial situation meant I became overdrawn anyway. As a result HSBC charged me over £1000 in 6 months in charges related to being overdrawn until eventually my local branch stepped in and gave me a £1020 managed loan. Needless to say my account has remained firmly in credit ever since.

As a result of the charges my account spiraled from £150 OD approx to £1020 oD in 6 months. I could have paid back the £300 overdraft had they provided it but the ever escalating charges made it impossible and my debt just got bigger month after month.

My contention all aong was that had HSBC given me an overdraft I would have recovered quickly. As you can see the managed loan was for only £20 more than they had charged during the period.

I am grateful to my local branch for getting involved before it got any worse but it should never have got to that position.

I am in the prcoess of reclaiming the bank charges.

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone yet know if theres any get out clause for these wretched things? ive not yet spoken to CAB but i intened to at the first available chance of peace and quiet - 3 yr old daughter and im 8 months pregnant, hubby works full time, need i say more lol. do you think we can put accounts like these in dispute while trying to figure out what can be done? im sure that being made to sign under duress is something that is not legal? and surely should make contract void, as said by another poster earlier?

I had completely forgot about my Managed Loan with HSBC until I came across this thread.

I decided to have a quick look on the status of the loan that I was forced into back in September 2004........

I was appalled to see that in 2 years I have only managed to pay off just over £600 because the other £800 went on interest!!!!! :o

:mad:

Sep 04 - Managed Loan - 2,670.00

Nov 06 - Current Status - 2,068.19

Sep 04 - Nov 06 - Paid IN - 1,486.80

Sep 04 - Nov 06 - Interest Paid - 804.61

Total amount paid off in 2 years - 601.81

NatWest - £3750 - Settled

HSBC - £1100 - Settled

I'm not sure...I remember reading something a while back stating the banks were acting illegally by forcing customers to take out their payment protection as a condition of the loan - is this an avenue to explore?? Anyone able to shed any light?? Please!?

I'm not sure...I remember reading something a while back stating the banks were acting illegally by forcing customers to take out their payment protection as a condition of the loan - is this an avenue to explore?? Anyone able to shed any light?? Please!?

Are they taking PPI out on managed loans????

Has anyone had a look at the implication on the interest rate we could charge and/or damages we could claim when claiming back unlawful charges when they've been put into a managed loan?

For example:

My managed loan is made up of approx £1000 of unlawful charges which meant I couldn't clear my overdraft as any money going in was being swallowed by charges. I was having to spend on CCs for food etc when they wouldn't increase my overdraft limit to keep up with charges & ended up being forced to take out an £8000 loan to cover the authorised overdraft (about half made up of unlawful bank charges) + unauthorised overdraft (made up entirely of bank charges), my CC (well managed & paid off in full each month), my partner's CC (also well managed & paid off in full each month) plus my interest free student overdraft. I'm now being charged interest on all these accounts where, if I hadn't been charged in the first place, I would only have been paying interest on the overdraft.

HSBC have basically screwed me financially. I then had to take out a student overdraft at a different bank which I'm now unable to pay back & am being charged interest on because of the monthly payments on the managed loan. At a rate of 11% PA for 9 years, I'm paying though the nose for HSBC's unlawful charges. Is there any way we can claim for this when we claim back our charges?

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a manged loan due to out of control overdraft caused mainly due to continual application of unlawful fees on the account. Still a couple of years from paying it off. Any help with regards to this would be greatly appreciated

Hi there,

and to think HSBC made up the term ' managed loan' just for me! I had never heard of it before until they offered it to me.

Basically myself and OH were given £5000 o/d on 2 accounts as they had been upgraded to premier a/c's. This was only aout 2 years ago. Needless to say, we maxed out our o/d's and OH credit card (9,000) as we went through a very difficult financial patch.

Consequently, our 'personal banking manager' offered us (our only option) a managed loan to cover o'd's and cc for £18,000 payable over 11 years!

It really was 'sold' to us as though they were doing us a big favour! I've only just realised that of the £254 we pay every month, the interest is £180! I just couldn't believe it.

We are currently claiming back just over £8,000 from HSBC for unlawful charges and would like more than anything to also sort this ML out.

Can anyone help? Many thanks

Lisa

Good grief!!!! £33528 you will end up paying back after 11 years!!

I have managed to get the loan interest on my husbands loan refunded and the managed loan is now paid off, however with him the original amount of the loan was covered by the excessive charges, and looking at your details this doesn't appear to be quite the case.

I think you have a couple of options here, get your charges back as quickly as possible and pay off the majority of the loan and ask the bank if they can then give you a normal personal loan for the outstanding.

or you could just say to the bank, sorry we cannot afford the repayments and ask to be put on a payment plan which no doubt they will sell the debt onto a debt collection agency, I have done this with a loan from HSBC, and I am paying a reduced amount (my original bank loan was for £30,206 including interest, it was sold to a DCA and I now owe them £13,000 and I pay no interest, with a monthly payment of £190) So I have just under 6 years to pay this off, if it was the original £30,206 I would have been paying £590 per month :eek:

You could still do your claim and reduce down the amount to the DCA.

I think it could be a good idea to speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Good luck

Hi there,

and to think HSBC made up the term ' managed loan' just for me! I had never heard of it before until they offered it to me.

Basically myself and OH were given £5000 o/d on 2 accounts as they had been upgraded to premier a/c's. This was only aout 2 years ago. Needless to say, we maxed out our o/d's and OH credit card (9,000) as we went through a very difficult financial patch.

Consequently, our 'personal banking manager' offered us (our only option) a managed loan to cover o'd's and cc for £18,000 payable over 11 years!

It really was 'sold' to us as though they were doing us a big favour! I've only just realised that of the £254 we pay every month, the interest is £180! I just couldn't believe it.

We are currently claiming back just over £8,000 from HSBC for unlawful charges and would like more than anything to also sort this ML out.

Can anyone help? Many thanks

Lisa

REFUNDED

Hubbys - HSBC £4,165 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £651 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £147 Prel 7/8, LBA 21/8, MCOL 6/9 £241

Hubby Halifax - Prel 29/7 £215, LBA 21/8, Offer rec. £110 22/8, MCOL 6/9 £298

Abbey - £2758 - Prel 26/6, LBA 10/7 - MCOL 26/7 £3,391, offer 25/8 £1,755.94, paid £3567.32 after Case manag hearing

Barclays - £675 Prel7/8, LBA 21/8, offer received £300 MCOL 6/9 £998 - Paid £1,012 before going to Court

Cheers Tigs,

really not sure what I should do about the ML. Looking back, they must have been rubbing their hands when they saw what they could earn out of our misfortune.

How can they refuse a 'normal' loan and then give you another loan with astronomical interest.

Fortunately, we are in a better position financially now so we can afford it but the interest really grates me.

Our credit rating is still poor though so it's not as though we can go elsewhere for a better rate.

Lisa

Difficult choice Lisa, with my situation my credit rating was so poor anyway I decided another one really didn't make that much difference, I am glad I did go to the Citizens Advice though as they helped me out a lot and I no longer worry about these debts, and because of this site I do not owe any money to two DCA as they couldn't provide me with copies of the original agreement.

I suppose you really have to weigh up if you are happy for them to have that level of interest off you for the next 9 years, I wouldn't be, if I could get a DCA agency to deal with the debt, don't forget a ML doesn't look good on your credit rating either.

REFUNDED

Abbey - £2758 - Prel 26/6, LBA 10/7 - MCOL 26/7 £3,391, offer 25/8 £1,755.94, paid £3567.32 after Case manag hearing

Barclays - £675 Prel7/8, LBA 21/8, offer received £300 MCOL 6/9 £998 - Paid £1,012 before going to Court

Yes peanut I would wait until you have a reply (or not ;) ) to the CCA before deciding your next course of action.

REFUNDED

• 4 weeks later...

hi, i recently won my case for both my business and personal accounts just before xmas totalling just under £6k! so thanks to everyone for their help and support, but something was mentioned to me from another memeber and im 'quite keen' to follow this up (read that as sue them again for more!!) i have a managed loan which in part incorporates a persoanl loan and some unlawful charges!

the story is as follows:

during a bad period in 2004/2005 and unable to keep up with my personal loan repayments and other miscellaneous SO/DD's i was forced into taking out a managed loan for about £6k approx..... which i managed to sort of repay during this difficult time for about 10 months or so (and still sometimes paying late and missing payements) i was then hit by another low and forced to take out a slightly higher amount for £7130 which i have been steadily paying back £116 pm since november 2005 (and i have been on time and not missed a single payment) but im getting heavily screwed on ridiculous amoutns of interest 20% i think, and i still owe £6500 despite having paid back over £1600 already!

now im not unreasonable and i know that some of the managed loan was to pay off an exisitng personal laon that i had.... so, baring in mind 'some' of that managed loan incorpaorates these charges how do i proceed to make my 2nd claim against them?

and can i add contractual intetrest too? (btw - what is contractul interest?) how do i know if this applies to me and i can claim for that too?

i am really confused on this one and just want to make sure this is one i can win...

the loan was for £7130 and it was taken out in nov 2005 and currently owes £6500 odd. im been screwed heavy on interest! id be generous and say maybe only about 1.5k -2.5k max was for the charges that are part responsible for that amount...whats your thoughts and advice on how i should proceed - if at all.

many thanks

Pete

HSBC BANK

** DECEMBER 2006 - RECEIVED CHEQUE FOR FULL AMOUNT!!!! ** £5967.00:)

LLOYDS TSB

**JANUARY 2007- RECEIVED CHEQUE FOR FULL AMOUNT!!!! ** £1340:)

HSBC BANK - Managed Loan/Interest

still chasing, have submiited claim thru MCOl - date sent to my local court - claim is going ahead Jan 29th 2008 :(

CURRENTLY CHASING

NATIONWIDE (WIFES ACCOUNT)

HSBC (managed loan)

others won:

CAPITAL ONE C/CARD (mine & wifes), :)

BOXCLEVER TV RENTAL, BHS STORECARD, BLACKHORSE FINANCE,HSBC PPI INSURANCE FOR SBL, PPI INSURNACE FO LLOYDS TSB LOAN,

After many long months battling with HSBC to sort my managed loan fiasco out, I have received their final response (Iv'e been writing back and forth with them since August 2006) so now I am off to the Ombudsman.

I am absolutely sick to death of this whole thing, they forced me into the ML because of their own uselessness: I have asked on countless occaisons that the full circumstances be taken into account (I was pushed down the ML route because of HSBC forcing me overdrawn by allowing an £800 S/O when just the previous month they returned unpaid due to insufficient funds an amount far, far less). It seems they can make it up as they go along.

They'll allow you overdrawn by almost a grand so you get into trouble but when it comes to a much smaller sum they'll return it unpaid and add charges too. Lucky me. Incompetant staff, inconsistent decisions, blanket refusals to assist and sheer arrogance have been following me about since this mess went critical last year. Well, I am not stopping till it's sorted out. Watch this space kids.

WON!

Cahoot - Prelim 18/8/06 - LBA 1/9/06 - MCOL 15/9/06

GE Money - Prelim 10/8/06 - LBA 1/9/06 - Cheque arrives 7/9/06

HSBC - Prelim 5/8/06 - 10/8/06 - LBA 18/8/06 - Partial offer 24/8/06: Rejected - MCOL 7/9/06 - 21/9/06 Full Offer & Confidential.

Also it may be useful if we could try and get a figure together to see how many of us poor HSBC 'customers' have been lumbered with a managed loan, I think it may have been been talked about elsewhere on this thread somewhere. Perhaps if the FSA, OFT or Ombudsman knew how widespread a problem these things are then action to stop HSBC ruining thousands of other people's credit files and lives might actually be slowed or even be stopped for good. Not sure how we can go about compiling a list, maybe someone out there knows?

The more I think about managed loans and having to deal with such a useless bunch of money grabbing, life ruining halfwits (and thats being polite) the more my blood boils.

WON!

Cahoot - Prelim 18/8/06 - LBA 1/9/06 - MCOL 15/9/06

GE Money - Prelim 10/8/06 - LBA 1/9/06 - Cheque arrives 7/9/06

HSBC - Prelim 5/8/06 - 10/8/06 - LBA 18/8/06 - Partial offer 24/8/06: Rejected - MCOL 7/9/06 - 21/9/06 Full Offer & Confidential.