• Tweets

• Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX 2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all.   Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
    • well post it here as a text in a the msg reply half of it is blanked out. dx  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5030 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Wow - I'm not on my own after all.

You are most certainly not on your own.

The "test case" was, in retrospect, a less than subtle method of taking the pressure off the County Courts who were swamped with claims and was clearly choreographed between the OFT, FSA and the Banks.

In the end it has simply delayed the inevitable.

Reg 5 rocks. ;)

(Which could be the reason the OFT dropped it from their "test case"- too close to the bone.)

OFT: "Oh dear, we'd win- and thats not the idea"

Edited by noomill060

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Noom, agree with you that Reg 5 rocks.

The more you look into it the more interesting it gets.

This is what I've found so far...

Regulation 5 (1) states that a term is unfair ‘if contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties’ rights and obligations... to the detriment of the consumer.’

For a term to be fair these three factors – the good faith requirement, the procedural element and the substantive element – must be satisfied.

1. The test of unfairness in the UTCCR explicitly incorporates the good faith concept. Disclosure and choice are principal elements of good faith (Aspects of Fairness in Contract, Brownsword et al 1996); there is a greater opportunity of satisfying the good faith requirement if the terms are clearly disclosed to consumers (Banks have won this argument already) and if consumers are offered choices of terms (Oh dear).

In Director General of Fair Trading v. First National Bank PLC ([2001] UKHL 52), Lord Steyn rejected the notion that the good faith requirement is predominantly procedural (para 33), and indicated that there was a substantive element. These would include duties of disclosure (see Interfoto Picture Library Ltd. v Stilleto Visual Programmes Ltd. [1989] QB 433); rules which encourage the bank as a contracting party to offer alternative packages of terms to the customer; and generally by any rules which require good faith in some form.

2. The procedural element is concerned with how the term or terms are imposed and serve to prevent the absence of a genuine choice through an unfair surprise.

3. A substantive element, as far as I see it, relates to the essential principals that a court applies and not to the rules of procedures and practice. In other words, the court will make a decision based on its own framework, observations and opinions and not the words within the terms and conditions set out by the banks.

The only problem I foresee is that lower courts may gloss over the relevance of the substantive element compared with the Supreme Court. It was the Supreme Court who hinted that Reg 5 would open the door to a successful challenge.

I hope I'm wrong.

bornrich

Hang on am i missing something. From what i understand the HOL did not rule that the Fees are fair or unfair. What they did say is that the OFT cannot rule if they are fair/unfair.

Aren't our claims based around a European directive of UTCs?

If so the banks cannot stop any court case and they have to defend them.

In doing this they will have to proove that the Fees are fair and on this arguement they will lose.

Barclay's defence showed that the fees are there to ensure free bank charges for eveyone, hence the Robin Hood in return comments, and therefore charging 30% of cutomers over-inflated fees to pay for the remaing customers is Plainly Unfair.

Case closed in my opinion, i really cant see how the banks can defend this.

Another thought......Cast your minds back to a week ago when the banks announced maybe charging for cash machine withdraws and also refunding people recent charges with no explaination.

We all thought that this was a sign that they had lost this case, as they won the case why announce the cash withdraw charge threat?

Well the Banks had the case results one week ago and must have read the section regarding Clause 5.

I think that they know full well that when the Clause 5 aguement is used then they have lost and cannot defend. This is why the head of BBA woman did not look as smug as usual and why we are hearing of additional charges threats.

Edited by tcook5

'TIGGERCAT' - I can relate to that. Then the banks thought 'lets accept the lowlifes in and make a fortune because they will pay'. That's not a cynical or detrimental responce but how people thought, and by god did they strike lucky!

'alanfromderby' and 'Thailand' - could not agree more, my thoughts exactly!

'tcook5' - Agree with you also however EU laws seems a 'strain' to UK government/law to accept.

In the end all these 'characters' know that for many to pay County Court fees is a strain/inability and they rely on this to restrict possible cases. Whoever said County Courts were for the people is rather dissalusional (sp?). The fact that something like CAG exists is also a nightmare to these operations and so they have met a bit of a match! I can only say 'thank you' yet again to many who have helped me and others 'Free Bono'. If I ever have some half decent lottery win my contribution will be substantial.

Thank you again (sincerely)

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

This doesnt result in ppl getting there money however could this help with regards to customer not claiming because of threats that their account will be closed if they do.

If the terms are unfair and a customer claims their money back would the reg below not restrict the bank from closing their account

Effect of unfair term

8. (2) The contract shall continue to bind the parties if it is capable of continuing in existence without the unfair term.

Adamski....

Sorry I didn't reply earlier as I'd gone to bed and only just woken up...whoops!

In response to your post then...

5. - (1) A contractual term which has not been individually negotiated shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.

(2) A term shall always be regarded as not having been individually negotiated where it has been drafted in advance and the consumer has therefore not been able to influence the substance of the term.

(3) Notwithstanding that a specific term or certain aspects of it in a contract has been individually negotiated, these Regulations shall apply to the rest of a contract if an overall assessment of it indicates that it is a pre-formulated standard contract.

As you can see if refers to the contract as a whole or in parts. So hopefully everyone can now see that that is the route to explore! IMHO only ;)

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

This doesnt result in ppl getting there money however could this help with regards to customer not claiming because of threats that their account will be closed if they do.

If the terms are unfair and a customer claims their money back would the reg below not restrict the bank from closing their account

Effect of unfair term

8. (2) The contract shall continue to bind the parties if it is capable of continuing in existence without the unfair term.

The following Thread deals with the act of retalitory action by a bank in closing a Claimants current account......

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/63646-alliance-leicester-fined-fos.html

...That said, it is always advisable to set up a 'parachute' current account BEFORE embarking on to road to reclaiming what is rightfully yours, even if it is only a basic current account, to remove any percieved duress that a Claimants current bank may try to put them under to dissuade them from claiming.

:)

Cause created on facebook...

with both links to the petition on 'Number 10' and 'consumer action group' websites...

For those of you who have a 'Facebook' account, the cause can be found under 'Support the thousands of bank charges claimants'... Becoming a member will help circulate the information throughout the web...

Thank you very much :D

Everyone with a claim must, must, must now go back to their paperwork and review the Courts orders - mine say that I must inform the Court of my intentions of how I want the claim managed within 28 days of the final determination of the OFT Test Case.

Have just checked my paper work and it states:

'The Defendant shall within 28 days of the final decision in the test case file at Court and serve on the Claimant (a) a case summary of not more than 500 words setting out the effect of that decision; (b) their proposed directions in this claim.'

It then goes on to say that the documents will then be referred to the District Judge to consider further directions.

So looks like I shall be hearing sumit within the next 4 weeks or so, hmmm great Xmas pressie lol.

They will all follow... HSBC has amended their T&Cs from 01 November 2009. Sent to customers on or after SC ruling. Taps are open!

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

you just beat me to it pb.

strike out?

on what basis?

they want to strike them out because the OFT cant rule over the issue on one clause? Thats nothing to do with a case in court brought by a private individual who maintains the charges are unfair.

this is utter rubbish.

the case wasnt to decide if charges are fair, and the judgement was quite clear on this. In fact the OFT were more or less encouraged to pursue this issue by a different means.

By extension, if they can, then so can we.

this decision stregthens our position in a lot of ways.

you just beat me to it pb.

strike out?

on what basis?

they want to strike them out because the OFT cant rule over the issue on one clause? Thats nothing to do with a case in court brought by a private individual who maintains the charges are unfair.

this is utter rubbish.

the case wasnt to decide if charges are fair, and the judgement was quite clear on this. In fact the OFT were more or less encouraged to pursue this issue by a different means.

By extension, if they can, then so can we.

this decision stregthens our position in a lot of ways.

Hi Crusher,

All this 'we won' claptrap by the banks needs addressing in the media.

Please can someone from CAG get onto the BBC and give them the truth that it is only a win against the OFT and not a win against the consumer.

Lets knock them out of their cocky stride!

THIS IS NOT THE END

fiddled

Edited by hsbcfiddled
add text

Crusher, it all seems to be part of a concerted effort by the establishment to misrepresent the decision of the Supreme Court and squash any more complaints. The banks will move for mass strike outs (that hopefully most claimants and county court judges will resist) and the Financial Ombudsman Service has said (on its website) that it plans to dismiss most of the complaints that have been on hold.

This is all on the back of a decision that the OFT can't assess fairness on the grounds it brought before the court rather than any decision about fairness. It says an awful lot about this country that this government brings a deeply flawed legal case against the banks, stops people from claiming in the meantime, loses and then through another agency says that the complaints are invalid. At the same time the banks get away with misprepresenting the decision and will try to steamroller ordinary members of the public.

Consumers are entitled to expect protection from the state but what we actually get is the state aiding and abetting those who rip them off and treat them with contempt.

• Haha 1

All this 'we won' claptrap needs addressing in the media.

oh it does, it does.

they have won a victory, but in my opinion a totally irrelevant one.

lets boil the judgement down shall we?

"we are not saying charges are fair, but we care saying you cant use this clause to prove it. Use this one instead."

OK, this is tongue in cheek, but this result is NO basis whatsoever to strike out claims.

Crusher, it all seems to be part of a concerted effort by the establishment to misrepresent the decision of the Supreme Court and squash any more complaints. The banks will move for mass strike outs (that hopefully most claimants and county court judges will resist) and the Financial Ombudsman Service has said (on its website) that it plans to dismiss most of the complaints that have been on hold.

This is all on the back of a decision that the OFT can't assess fairness on the grounds it brought before the court rather than any decision about fairness. It says an awful lot about this country that this government brings a deeply flawed legal case against the banks, stops people from claiming in the meantime, loses and then through another agency says that the complaints are invalid. At the same time the banks get away with misprepresenting the decision and will try to steamroller ordinary members of the public.

Consumers are entitled to expect protection from the state but what we actually get is the state aiding and abetting those who rip them off and treat them with contempt.

very, very well put.

It was no basis to freeze our claims in the 1st place, this whole process could have gone ahead, without the need to freeze the claims, because this ruling makes little difference to our claims. If the oft had won it would have been great for us, but because the banks won this case it makes little difference to anyone!

Decision 25 November 2009

The Supreme Court has ruled that the level of the bank's current unarranged overdraft fees are not assessable for fairness under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (UTCCR).

The ruling means the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) is not able to continue to investigate the level of unarranged overdraft charges as part of their investigation into the fairness of those fees.

first direct and the other banks involved in the court case will continue to work with the Financial Services Authority (FSA) and the OFT to determine the next steps in resolving this issue. Our website will be updated once the next steps are agreed.

Complaints relating to unarranged overdraft fees will remain on hold under the terms of the FSA waiver (see below) and the banks will continue to apply normal processes to any new complaints.

Q: What does this decision by the Supreme Court mean?

A: Legally, it means that level of unarranged overdraft charges is not assessable for fairness and, therefore, that the OFT is not entitled to assess the cost of unarranged overdraft fees for fairness.

Q: Does this mean the banks won't be refunding charges?

A: We are working with the OFT and other banks on the implications of the decision. In the meantime claims for overdraft refunds remain on hold and we will get back in touch with all customers as soon as the next steps are agreed.

Q: What happens now?

A: The next steps are to be agreed with the OFT and the FSA. Claims for unarranged overdraft fee refunds remain on hold.

Q: When will the case be concluded?

A: The banks will work with the OFT and FSA to agree next steps to conclude matters.

This is from First Direct website

Q: What does this decision by the Supreme Court mean?

A: Legally, it means that level of unarranged overdraft charges is not assessable for fairness and, therefore, that the OFT is not entitled to assess the cost of unarranged overdraft fees for fairness.

what a misrepresentation of the true facts!

• Haha 1