Inside a DCA!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks Andrew1. I am a master (mistress?:o) of the pen and I can't really work out why the phone is such an issue. It is only a piece of plastic after all. I think, as I remember reading on here ages ago, it is the invasion of your personal space that gets to people.

I will not ignore the phone. I will not ignore the phone. etc

Thanks

Lady of Gold :D

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.......HI ,it's not just DCA's who are obnoxious it's also the original Creditors who bully and treat you like sh.. !!! if you need a little Breathing space because of unforeseen

Very true.

It comes as a bit of a shock to find that you go from being a valued customer with these companies, (one of which in my case I had dealt with for 15 years), to public enemy number 1 virtually overnight.

Realistically, you don't expect them to say,

"It would be nice if you could pay us some at some point. We would be very grateful".

but I think it comes back to he who shouts the loudest gets paid, (according to doctrine) and the whole system is geared to that.

David

....Thanks Andrew and Goldlady you just gave my confidence a BIG boost !!!.......and Cashins of course.....W.M.

;) That's what this site is all about Werner, empowering yourself and with a few tens of thousands behind you how can you fail to get control? :D

added too

JonCris, thanks for all your previous advise. However, the DCA who have written to my address to a person unknown to me have now sent a red letter. I am too scared to open it and have been having palpitations and a panic attack all day. :(

This is a case of mistaken identity. The first letter said,

"Having confirmed your current address our client is anxious to resolve the outstanding debt. ... You must call us immediately... If you are not the person named above call us on ******** to confirm this. If you do not call us we will assume you are the correct person. Should we not hear from you within 7 days we may commence legal action..."

The second letter stated an amount £1791.93 from Southern Water Services Ltd, "This debt must now be paid in full to us immediately...If we do not hear within 14 days we may commence legal action..."

Now there is a red letter. Should I return it unopened, "Not at this address". Or send them a letter saying to stop harrassing me.

Allowing them to harass you.

It is unlawful to act in a way intended to harass you into paying a debt If they telephone you frequently, send you threats of physical harm, send obscene or abusive letters complain to trading standards, the police and the ombudsman.

Sorry I can't work out what to do myself. I'm stressed out with family issues since my mum died recently and can't think straight. Plus I'm moving overseas in a month and don't want to redirect mail to my daughter and have these nasty letters turning up where she lives. Although the Surname is the same on the letters from the DCA, the initials do not belong to anyone in my family, and none of us owe money to Southern Water Services.

If anyone can advise me, I would be eternally grateful. :confused:

added too

Re JonCris post 605. I've taken on board advice not to reply to DCA in the case of mistaken identity. Thing is the DCA have today sent a red letter to my address to the person unknown to me.

I'm so stressed out with family issues at the mo, this has given me palpitations and panic attacks all day. I don't know if I should ignore letter, return it unopened "unknown at this address", ring their number to tell them I'm not the person they're looking for, or to send a letter to tell them to stop sending out letters of harrassment.

Can anyone help please? :confused:

Hi Slc79 I Know This Is Not Easy But Calm Down Go Get Your Self A Cup Of Tea And Chill Out For A Few Minates.these People Send These Things Out To Scare People,the Person On The Letter Is Unknown So Please Don`t Worry They Are On A Fishing Experdition(hoping You May Contact Them)don`t Phone Them,and Don``t Worry Some One Will Come Along And Help You Very Soon

Cheeers Paul

I think you should immediately call Southern Water and ask them to stop this in its tracks. If you phone now they might still be there. Tell them what is happening and you want it stopped NOW. that's the only way to by pass those DCA's and attack from the rear so to speak..

Hope that helps..

Hello slc79!

Firstly, you are not alone in getting nasty little Letters just before a Bank Holiday Weekend!

It's just part of the little Tricks you need to expect from these people.

THE most important thing is to relax, forgot this nonsense for now, and come back to it next Week after you have had some time off and a few gentle chats with people here. There's almost zero you can do on a Friday evening before a Bank Holiday.

You will soon learn this is nothing worth getting upset about.

As blue4ever has said, you'll get plenty of good advice here.

Do not rush, these people are in the game of making people rush and knee-jerk into a reaction. I know the desire is to race to the Telephone to Call them, but don't. Never, ever, call these people. They have nothing nice or good to say to you, so do not waste your time.

Whatever needs saying to them, can be done in a Letter, and that is Accountable. You will have the Evidence. They don't like Letters, as Letters take away their opportunity to cause distress and worry via verbal intimidation.

This is nothing that cannot be sorted with a couple of Letters next week.

Have GREAT BANK HOLIDAY WEEKEND!

That is far more important!

Cheers,

BRW

Return the letter 'not at this address' then write to their clients (not the DCA) via special delivery & threaten them that if this does not stop you, as well as seeking additional legal remedies, will report them to the appropriate authorities for their unlawful or even possibly illegal conduct

• Haha 1

Thanks for replies. I think the idea of writing to original creditor is good idea, and shall demand them to restrain the DCA writing to this address, or will report them, etc. excellent! I could even send them the unopened red letter for them to forward to their DCA. Or is that being daft?

Dear Sir/Madam

I've drafted the following. Will sent it special delivery Tuesday. Any suggestions for changes?

Complaint re. Debt Collection Agency letters

A debt collection agency has sent several letters to my address to a person unknown to me. The letters are intimidating and threaten legal action even though they have not bothered to find out that this person does not live at this address. Continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment. I enclose the latest unopened envelope for you to deal with.

You will see from your records that the water account for this address is paid by myself and is fully up to date. My account number is *************.

I insist that you contact the debt collection agency immediately and restrain them from writing to this address. If this does not stop, as well as seeking additional legal remedies, I will report your company to the appropriate authorities for unlawful or even possibly illegal conduct. I am familiar with the ‘Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance’ which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

Your website gives the following information:

Debt Collection

In some circumstances we refer customers' debts to debt collection agencies. The agencies we use are registered with the Office of Fair Trading and are members of the Credit Services Association and subject to its code of practice. Southern Water also audits these companies' policies and procedures on an annual basis. In the unlikely event that a debt is pursued this way in error or the debt collection agent acts improperly we will send you a £25 payment.

Written Complaints

We aim to make a full response to a written complaint within five working days of receiving your letter. If we fail to provide a response within 10 working days we will send you a £25 payment.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the Consumer Council for Water of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Hello Slc79!

The Letter looks fine and reasonable. Others will no doubt comment, so hold off sending it until next Week, as you may be able to fine tune it still further to cover every angle.

Looks like £25 could be heading your way soon in that case!

And, if I read that correctly, if they fail to respond within 10 Working Days, you could get another £25.

Also, make sure you make it clear how Distressed you have been, as they may well offer you some better Compensation for the trouble, especially if they realise you mean business when complaining.

Hope you are enjoying the Bank Holiday Weekend!

Cheers,

BRW

you need to send this letter as it will bring to ther attend the debt collection agency.

fly on the wall situation l think

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Quick question about the main topic of this thread: How much do DCA staff typically get paid, and is it generally considered a desirable job (at least as far as call centres go)? And what is staff turnover like - do people stick around long, or do they come and go pretty quickly?

Quick question about the main topic of this thread: How much do DCA staff typically get paid, and is it generally considered a desirable job (at least as far as call centres go)? And what is staff turnover like - do people stick around long, or do they come and go pretty quickly?

Who wants to spend most of their days arguing on the phone whilst spouting a load of rubbish about how they are going to make you pay no matter what..........or how they are going to send in the bully boys....who'll smash your front door in...........or how they can send you to jail etc: ........only the desperate or sadistic

So do they get paid commission......you bet they do & lots

As for their comings & goings who knows although we do get the odd one turn up here.......& very welcome they are..........particularly when they grass their former employers up

ask them Chase Credit these people recruit for them - blood money if you ask me!

Tom

Legal & Trade - Capital Bank CCA 4th May - 16th May due

Although not a DCA, a finance company I worked for had a v large Collections Dept.

I wasn't in the office more than once a month if that, but judging by the number of new faces that appeared, it had a pretty high turnover. They always seemed a gloomy lot to me, including the Head of Collections but I suppose they would be wouldn't they.

They did have some 'good' collectors, (in terms of revenue) and obviously they moved up through the ranks. Have a feeling that some were only there to stick it out, get promoted, then get transferred out with that grade.

David

• 4 weeks later...

I have just read this from start to finish. I think it's taken about 4 hours.

Not sure now what information is useful and what is not. But it has got my head into the idea of thinking of this as a longer term campaign.

There is one thing that does not make sense though and does not seem to have been covered by anyone (I think).

OTB on a number of occasions states or intimates that you should make an offer of 25% for a debt that is unenforceable. This is also kind of justified if it the case that the problem will never go away. It may be worth it to get rid of the agro.

But there must be some legal way of getting this to stop if a debt is unenforceable.

Some of you have suggested that this thread might have been a plant. Is this the point of it then. To get people to make offers when they don't need to?

I have just read this from start to finish. I think it's taken about 4 hours.

Not sure now what information is useful and what is not. But it has got my head into the idea of thinking of this as a longer term campaign.

There is one thing that does not make sense though and does not seem to have been covered by anyone (I think).

OTB on a number of occasions states or intimates that you should make an offer of 25% for a debt that is unenforceable. This is also kind of justified if it the case that the problem will never go away. It may be worth it to get rid of the agro.

But there must be some legal way of getting this to stop if a debt is unenforceable.

Some of you have suggested that this thread might have been a plant. Is this the point of it then. To get people to make offers when they don't need to?

Full marks for sticking with the thread, it's not easy reading sometimes.

If you have read about DCA's on the forum and this one you'll have an idea what people have been through with some of them. The whole idea about Debt is paying what you owe. 99% of people coming on here acknowledge they have a debt and that it needs to be paid - that is not in question. However, what that 99% of people want is for the organisations who say you owe the money and come asking for it to ACT LAWFULLY in trying to achieve that end and sadly these companies fall way, way short of doing that. We hardened campaigners in CAG and the likes of our little Cabot Fan Club give some pretty good advice (if I might be so bold as to say so :p) on how to make them do what they should according to the law. So many DCA's and their employees over the past couple of years have come on here in different guises trying to call us all 'Rogue Debtors' and put us straight as to what a good bunch of people they all are in the DCA's - some are, but the ones who feature regularly (mentioning no names Ken :D) have a lot of catching up to do with their collection practices, but we all keep telling Trading Standards et al and slowly but surely they begin to get the message.

OTB came on in good faith I believe and gave his/her inside opinion based upon experience. It was very thorough and there were a few sceptics as to the motives behind the message being posted, that blew up into conflict as you have seen. The trouble is, too many people have had the rough end of DCA's so painting a rosy picture just doesn't cut the mustard with most and people have traumatic experiences still raw in their minds.

Now, getting back to your 25%...If a dca buys the debt for circa 10% of it's face value then there may be room for negotiation to kill the debt if you can afford the one off payment..always worth a try. No different than negotiating any kind of a deal so long as you make it full and final.

But..even if a debt is 'unenforceable' that only means they cannot use the legal system to collect it , unless you have 'settled' it as a full and final they can still 'ask' you to pay it...that choice is yours.

Sarah

My advice to DCA's? - abide by the laws of this country and we'll all go away. ;)

• Haha 1

I suggested this idea half in jest a few weeks ago.....

what is to stop every one of us from getting together and starting our own DCA and buying up all our debts for 12p in the pound and literally throwing them in the bin....?

Would this be possible? If so, count us in! Sounds a very sensible idea!