• Tweets

• Nick Wallis has written up the first day of Angela van den Bogerd's evidence to the inquiry. I thought she was awful. She's decided to go with being not bright enough to spot what was happening over Fujitsu altering entries on the Horizon system, rather than covering up important facts. She's there today as well. The First Lady of Flat Earth – Post Office Scandal WWW.POSTOFFICESCANDAL.UK Angela van den Bogerd, on oath once more It is possible that Angela van den Bogerd and her senior colleagues (Rodric Williams, Mark Davies, Susan...  
    • Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback. EDIT: I guess that the case I refer to is only one case and it may never happen again and the strategy not to appeal is still the best strategy even in this event, but I really did find the outcome of that case, not only extremely annoying but also worrying. Let's hope other judges are not quite so narrow minded and don't get fixated on one particular issue as FTMDave alluded to.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
    • Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure that I agree the reason why a barrister would say that, only to get new customers, I'm sure he must have had professional experience in this area that qualifies him to make that point. 🙂 In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Is it possible that a PPC (claimant) could refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hi to everyone .. Need help with Ruthbridge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5222 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an arrangement with Ruthbridge to repay my Citifinancial debt. However Ruthbridge keep threatening to pettion for Bsankruptcy everytime my payment is slightly late. When I try to explain that my fiances are precarious he calls me a liar and threatens to send a bankruptcy petition round to my house. I do not own any property and there is no CCJ to my knowledge. Are they just being nasty or can they make me bankrupt which would destroy all my hard work getting straight with my other creditors

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
How much do you owe? They can't bankrupt you if the debt is for less than £750. They would also have to get a judgement such as a Statutory Demand against you before they were able to petition for your bankruptcy. In your defence, to stop a bankruptcy being ordered, you would be able to point out that you are in an arrangement, that they (Ruthbridge) have agreed, and the judge would not make you bankrupt. In my opinion it's an empty threat.

However, that doesn't mean you should stop bothering to make the payments; press on and try to close this chapter of your finances as quickly as possible.

Hope this answers your question, post if you need any further info,

bottomburp :)

Ruthbridge do not take any proceedings against anybody. They are simply acting on behalf of a client who has likeley purchased your debt from the original creditor. Approx 90% of the debt they attempt to recover is in this category. Some of them may sound like they know what they are talking about, but the reality is that they will not and do not sue & certainly the old bankruptcy ploy is simply that, a ploy. This is fact not fiction.

• 2 months later...

ruthbridge hasseling me!!

sent CCA request not recieved but cashed cheques against debt. sent another request already breached 12 day rule on 8th May 30 day breach 4th june guess what same day as threat to send someone around.

see frenchvCabot and ruthbridge sar request.

• 1 month later...

Hi am new to the forum could do with some help dealing with Ruthbridge.spoke to one of their employees as have an outstanding debt with Citifinancial for £906.91 He told me to send an offer of payment & statement of means, which I did.Get another threatening letter (bankruptcy)from another employee in legal dept.offering to reduce payment, which I still can't afford.They have now sent another letter stating they are no longer prepared to correspond with me over this matterand will advise their client to issue a petition for bankrupcy.Any help would be appreciated

Hi

I just found this website by accident & am I pleased I did.

It would appear I am not the only person that has been suffering sleepless nights because of Ruthbridge Ltd & the abusive,intimidating & threatening practices that they seem to enjoy using

Having received a letter from them about a debt I had thought my ex partner had payed off when our relationship ended 4 yrs ago I duly phoned them as asked to in the letter.

What happened next not only confused me, but frightened me.

I was put thru to a Brian Blair who at the outset was taking a very agressive manner, when I asked any question he told me in no uncertain terms that there was no room for negotiation he wanted a payment in full of £5,000. when I asked if I could pay it in installments he flatly refused. I tried to explain to him that I was unable to make a full payment, he then called me a liar & said he was now going to start bankruptcy proceedings & he will be getting a land registry search done & will seize my property, when he said this I tried to explain I rent the place where I live he said again that I was a liar ( I actually do live in rented accomodation ) & he also would contact the DVLA & he will have any car that was registered to me seized & he would have my bank account frozen.

He then went on to say he will be making a personal visit in the next 2 days to seize any assets in my home. At this point I hung up as a friend of mine had called in to find me litterally shaking.

After talking to my friend they suggested I contact the CAB which I have done & have an appointment to see a debt counsellor .

The point I can`t seem to understand is, how is threatening me & telling me I would be made bankrupt going to achieve anything ? I have no real assets to speak of, I live in rented accomodation, I do work but have a low income & I am already paying back debts in installments that my ex partner left me with.

The whole week has been a nightmare for me, it`s made me miserable & depressed & unable to sleep which is now affecting me at work.

Why are people like these allowed to use bully boy tactics & get away with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just got a letter today from Ruthbridge and like an idiot i called them and spoke to a guy called Derek Maxwell who told me he wanted the full £6000 by the 27th July or he would make me bankrupt, I tried tell him i could not pay the full amount by then but he was not having any of it. he then said ok you can pay in 2 instalments but that is it or you will be made bankrupt. I moved home 5 years ago and mistakenly forgot 1 credit card i'm sure it was not for £6000

I made the mistake of giving him my mobile number

can anyone offer any advice

Thread moved to Debt Collectors and Debt Collection Agencies forum.

A re-direct from the welcome forum will expire in one hour.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi All, I'm new to the site but from what advice has been given to me, first of all you need to write a letter to Ruthbridge asap, and send Recorded Delivery. Do not, under any circumstances speak to them via phone anymore. If they ring, don't answer or if you answer accidentally, hang up. Don't speak to them.

Your Address

Their Address

Client Ref No.

Ruthbridge Ref. No.

Dear Sir/Madam

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY

With reference to the above account, I request that you send me a true copy of this credit agreement before I will correspond further on this matter.

This is my right under the legislation contained within section 77 (1) and section 78 (1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, and I am entitled to receive a copy of my credit agreement on request.

Your obligation also extends to providing me with a statement of account. I enclose a [postal order/cheque] for £1, which represents payment of the statutory fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act. I understand that a copy of my credit agreement should be supplied within 12 working days from the date of this letter.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act, creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with a request for a copy of the agreement under these sections of the Act.

Also, since you are a Debt Collection Agency, I would also ask that you supply a signed true copy of the executed deed of assignment for the above referenced agreement. This is an obligation, whether you are the original creditor or not, under section 189 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities.

In summary, I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THIS DEBT AND THEREFORE REQUIRE YOU TO SUBSTANTIATE THIS BY PROVIDING THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTATION BEFORE I CORRESPOND FURTHER:

i. True copy of original credit agreement

ii. Statement of account

iii. Copy of the executed deed of assignment from ...

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

Take note at this stage, that any legal action you may contemplate will be both vigorously defended and contested.

Further to the above, please ensure that any contact by you is made in writing only to the above address. Telephone calls and personal visits will not be accepted and viewed as harassment.

I look forward to hearing from you within the statutory time limit.

Yours faithfully

--------------------------------

You give them 12 days + 2 days delivery time, to comply. If they don't respond after that time I believe they have defaulted. If they haven't responded after 30 days they have commited an offence.

Anyway, these are your first steps. Once they have your letter, the account *should* be put on hold. Good luck.

Ruthrbridge's fax number is 0208 734 3535 just incase anyone wants to beat the post. I sent them a fax on Monday on similar lines to that above and they have stopped their twice a day phone calls - for now anyway.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Am now getting calls from a variety of 0208 numbers, keeping a list and will post them - sure they are all Ruthless as i don't deal with anyone else in London, but so far none have come up on Google searches. They will once I post them though so other people will know not to call back.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Hi All, I'm new to the site but from what advice has been given to me, first of all you need to write a letter to Ruthbridge asap, and send Recorded Delivery. Do not, under any circumstances speak to them via phone anymore. If they ring, don't answer or if you answer accidentally, hang up. Don't speak to them.

Your Address

Their Address

Client Ref No.

Ruthbridge Ref. No.

Dear Sir/Madam

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY

With reference to the above account, I request that you send me a true copy of this credit agreement before I will correspond further on this matter.

This is my right under the legislation contained within section 77 (1) and section 78 (1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, and I am entitled to receive a copy of my credit agreement on request.

Your obligation also extends to providing me with a statement of account. I enclose a [postal order/cheque] for £1, which represents payment of the statutory fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act. I understand that a copy of my credit agreement should be supplied within 12 working days from the date of this letter.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act, creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with a request for a copy of the agreement under these sections of the Act.

Also, since you are a Debt Collection Agency, I would also ask that you supply a signed true copy of the executed deed of assignment for the above referenced agreement. This is an obligation, whether you are the original creditor or not, under section 189 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. wrong

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities.

In summary, I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THIS DEBT AND THEREFORE REQUIRE YOU TO SUBSTANTIATE THIS IT BY PROVIDING THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTATION BEFORE I CORRESPOND FURTHER:

i. True copy of original credit agreement

ii. Statement of account

iii. Copy of the executed deed of assignment from ...

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

Take note at this stage, that any legal action you may contemplate will be both vigorously defended and contested.

Further to the above, please ensure that any contact by you is made in writing only to the above address. Telephone calls and personal visits will not be accepted and viewed as harassment.

I look forward to hearing from you within the statutory time limit.

Yours faithfully

--------------------------------

No offence, but do you know what s189 says? It says:

Definitions.

— (1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—

“advertisement ” includes every form of advertising, whether in a publication, by television or radio, by display of notices, signs, labels, showcards or goods, by distribution of samples, circulars, catalogues, price lists or other material, by exhibition of pictures, models or films, or in any other way, and references to the publishing of advertisements shall be construed accordingly;

“advertiser ” in relation to an advertisement, means any person indicated by the advertisement as willing to enter into tran-sactions to which the advertisement relates;

“ancillary credit business ” has the meaning given by section 145(1);

“antecedent negotiations ” has the meaning given by section 56;

“appeal period ” means the period beginning on the first day on which an appeal to the Secretary of State may be brought and ending on the last day on which it may be brought or, if it is brought, ending on its final determination, or abandonment;

“assignment ”, in relation to Scotland, means assignation;

“associate ” shall be construed in accordance with section 184;

F1 . . .

“bill of sale ” has the meaning given by section 4 of the M1 Bills of Sale Act 1878 or, for Northern Ireland, by section 4 of the M2 Bills of Sale (Ireland) Act 1879;

[F2 “building society ” means a building society within the meaning of the Building Societies Act 1986;]

“business ” includes profession or trade, and references to a business apply subject to subsection (2);

“cancellable agreement ” means a regulated agreement which, by virtue of section 67, may be cancelled by the debtor or hirer;

“canvass ” shall be construed in accordance with sections 48 and 153;

“cash ” includes money in any form;

“charity ” means as respects England and Wales a charity registered under the M3 Charities Act 1960 or an exempt charity (within the meaning of that Act), and as respects Scotland and Northern Ireland an institution or other organisation established for charitable purposes only ( “organisation ” including any persons administering a trust and “charitable ” being construed in the same way as if it were contained in the Income Tax Acts);

“conditional sale agreement ” means an agreement for the sale of goods or land under which the purchase price or part of it is payable by instalments, and the property in the goods or land is to remain in the seller (notwithstanding that the buyer is to be in possession of the goods or land) until such conditions as to the payment of instalments or otherwise as may be specified in the agreement are fulfilled;

“consumer credit agreement ” has the meaning given by section 8, and includes a consumer credit agreement which is cancelled under section 69(1), or becomes subject to section 69(2), so far as the agreement remains in force;

“consumer credit business ” means any business so far as it comprises or relates to the provision of credit under regulated consumer credit agreements;

“consumer hire agreement ” has the meaning given by section 15;

“consumer hire business ” means any business so far as it comprises or relates to the bailment or (in Scotland) the hiring of goods under regulated consumer hire agreements;

“controller ”, in relation to a body corporate, means a person—

(a) in accordance with whose directions or instructions the directors of the body corporate or of another body corporate which is its controller (or any of them) are accustomed to act, or

(b) who, either alone or with any associate or associates, is entitled to exercise, or control the exercise of, one third or more of the voting power at any general meeting of the body corporate or of another body corporate which is its controller;

“copy ” shall be construed in accordance with section 180;

“costs ”, in relation to Scotland, means expenses;

“court ” means in relation to England and Wales the county court, in relation to Scotland the sheriff court and in relation to Northern Ireland the High Court or the county court;

“credit ” shall be construed in accordance with section 9;

“credit-broker ” means a person carrying on a business of credit brokerage;

“credit brokerage ” has the meaning given by section 145(2);

“credit limit ” has the meaning given by section 10(2);

“creditor ” means the person providing credit under a consumer credit agreement or the person to whom his rights and duties under the agreement have passed by assignment or operation of law, and in relation to a prospective consumer credit agreement, includes the prospective creditor;

“credit reference agency ” has the meaning given by section 145(8);

“credit-sale agreement ” means an agreement for the sale of goods, under which the purchase price or part of it is payable by instalments, but which is not a conditional sale agreement;

“credit-token ” has the meaning given by section 14(1);

“credit-token agreement ” means a regulated agreement for the provision of credit in connection with the use of a credit-token;

“debt-adjusting ” has the meaning given by section 145(5);

“debt-collecting ” has the meaning given by section 145(7);

“debt-counselling ” has the meaning given by section 145(6);

“debtor ” means the individual receiving credit under a consumer credit agreement or the person to whom his rights and duties under the agreement have passed by assignment or operation of law, and in relation to a prospective consumer credit agreement includes the prospective debtor;

“debtor-creditor agreement ” has the meaning given by section 13;

“debtor-creditor-supplier agreement ” has the meaning given by section 12;

“default notice ” has the meaning given by section 87(1);

“deposit ” means [F3 (except in section 16(10) and 25(1B))]any sum payable by a debtor or hirer by way of deposit or down-payment, or credited or to be credited to him on account of any deposit or down-payment, whether the sum is to be or has been paid to the creditor or owner or any other person, or is to be or has been discharged by a payment of money or a transfer or delivery of goods or by any other means;

“Director ” means the Director General of Fair Trading;

“electric line ” has the meaning given by [F4 the Electricity Act 1989] or, for Northern Ireland, the M4 Electricity Supply (Northern Ireland) Order 1972;

“embodies ” and related words shall be construed in accordance with subsection (4);

“enforcement authority ” has the meaning given by section 161(1);

“enforcement order ” means an order under section 65(1), 105(7)(a) or (b), 111(2) or 124(1) or (2);

“executed agreement ” means a document, signed by or on behalf of the parties, embodying the terms of a regulated agreement, or such of them as have been reduced to writing;

“exempt agreement ” means an agreement specified in or under section 16;

“finance ” means to finance wholly or partly, and “financed ” and “refinanced ” shall be construed accordingly;

“file ” and “copy of the file ” have the meanings given by section 158(5);

“fixed-sum credit ” has the meaning given by section 10(1)(b);

“friendly society ” means a society registered [F5 or treated as registered under the Friendly Societies Act 1974 or the Friendly Societies Act 1992] or a society within the meaning of the M5 Friendly Societies Act (Northern Ireland) 1970;

“future arrangements ” shall be construed in accordance with section 187;

“general notice ” means a notice published by the Director at a time and in a manner appearing to him suitable for securing that the notice is seen within a reasonable time by persons likely to be affected by it;

“give ” means deliver or send by post to;

“goods ” M6 has the meaning given by [F6 section 61(1) of the Sale of Goods Act 1979];

“group licence ” has the meaning given by section 22(1)(b);

“High Court ” means Her Majesty’s High Court of Justice, or the Court of Session in Scotland or the High Court of Justice in Northern Ireland;

“hire-purchase agreement ” means an agreement, other than a conditional sale agreement, under which—

(a) goods are bailed or (in Scotland) hired in return for periodical payments by the person to whom they are bailed or hired, and

(b) the property in the goods will pass to that person if the terms of the agreement are complied with and one or more of the following occurs—

(i) the exercise of an option to purchase by that person,

(ii) the doing of any other specified act by any party to the agreement,

(iii) the happening of any other specified event;

“hirer ” means the individual to whom goods are bailed or (in Scotland) hired under a consumer hire agreement, or the person to whom his rights and duties under the agreement have passed by assignment or operation of law, and in relation to a prospective consumer hire agreement includes the prospective hirer;

“individual ” includes a partnership or other unincorporated body of persons not consisting entirely of bodies corporate;

“installation ” means—

(a) the installing of any electric line or any gas or water pipe,

(b) the fixing of goods to the premises where they are to be used, and the alteration of premises to enable goods to be used on them,

© where it is reasonably necessary that goods should be constructed or erected on the premises where they are to be used, any work carried out for the purpose of constructing or erecting them on those premises;

F1 . . .

“judgment ” includes an order or decree made by any court;

“land ”, includes an interest in land, and in relation to Scotland includes heritable subjects of whatever description;

“land improvement company ” means an improvement company as defined by section 7 of the M7 Improvement of Land Act 1899;

“land mortgage ” includes any security charged on land;

“licence ” means a licence under Part III (including that Part as applied to ancillary credit businesses by section 147);

“licensed ”, in relation to any act, means authorised by a licence to do the act or cause or permit another person to do it;

“licensee ”, in the case of a group licence, includes any person covered by the licence;

“linked transaction ” has the meaning given by section 19(1);

“local authority ”, in relation to England F7 . . ., means . . . F8 , a county council, a London borough council, a district council, the Common Council of the City of London, or the Council of the Isles of Scilly [F9 in relation to Wales means a county council or a county borough council,], and in relation to Scotland, means a [F10 council constituted under section 2 of the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994], and, in relation to Northern Ireland, means a district council;

“minor ”, in relation to Scotland, includes pupil;

“modifying agreement ” has the meaning given by section 82(2);

“mortgage ”, in relation to Scotland, includes any heritable security;

“multiple agreement ” has the meaning given by section 18(1);

“negotiator ” has the meaning given by section 56(1);

“non-commercial agreement ” means a consumer credit agreement or a consumer hire agreement not made by the creditor or owner in the course of a business carried on by him;

“notice ” means notice in writing;

“notice of cancellation ” has the meaning given by section 69(1);

“owner ” means a person who bails or (in Scotland) hires out goods under a consumer hire agreement or the person to whom his rights and duties under the agreement have passed by assignment or operation of law, and in relation to a prospective consumer hire agreement, includes the prospective bailor or person from whom the goods are to be hired;

“pawn ” means any article subject to a pledge;

“pawn-receipt ” has the meaning given by section 114;

“pawnee ” and “pawnor ” include any person to whom the rights and duties of the original pawnee or the original pawnor, as the case may be, have passed by assignment or operation of law;

“payment ” includes tender;

“personal credit agreement ” has the meaning given by section 8(1);

“pledge ” means the pawnee’s rights over an article taken in pawn;

“prescribed ” means prescribed by regulations made by the Secretary of State;

“pre-existing arrangements ” shall be construed in accordance with section 187;

“principal agreement ” has the meaning given by section 19(1);

“protected goods ” has the meaning given by section 90(7);

“quotation ” has the meaning given by section 52(1)(a) ;

“redemption period ” has the meaning given by section 116(3);

“register ” means the register kept by the Director under section 35;

“regulated agreement ” means a consumer credit agreement, or consumer hire agreement, other than an exempt agreement, and “regulated ” and “unregulated ” shall be construed accordingly;

“regulations ” means regulations made by the Secretary of State;

“relative ”, except in section 184, means a person who is an associate by virtue of section 184(1);

“representation ” includes any condition or warranty, and any other statement or undertaking, whether oral or in writing;

“restricted-use credit agreement ” and “restricted-use credit ” have the meanings given by section 11(1);

“rules of court ”, in relation to Northern Ireland means, in relation to the High Court, rules made under section 7 of the M8 Northern Ireland Act 1962, and, in relation to any other court, rules made by the authority having for the time being power to make rules regulating the practice and procedure in that court;

“running-account credit ” shall be construed in accordance with section 10;

“security ”, in relation to an actual or prospective consumer credit agreement or consumer hire agreement, or any linked transaction, means a mortgage, charge, pledge, bond, debenture, indemnity, guarantee, bill, note or other right provided by the debtor or hirer, or at his request (express or implied), to secure the carrying out of the obligations of the debtor or hirer under the agreement;

“security instrument ” has the meaning given by section 105(2);

“serve on ” means deliver or send by post to;

“signed ” shall be construed in accordance with subsection (3);

“small agreement ” has the meaning given by section 17(1), and “small ” in relation to an agreement within any category shall be construed accordingly;

“specified fee ” shall be construed in accordance with section 2(4) and (5);

“standard licence ” has the meaning given by section 22(1)(a);

“supplier ” has the meaning given by section 11(1)(b) or 12© or 13© or, in relation to an agreement falling within section 11(1)(a), means the creditor, and includes a person to whom the rights and duties of a supplier (as so defined) have passed by assignment or operation of law, or (in relation to a prospective agreement) the prospective supplier;

“surety ” means the person by whom any security is provided, or the person to whom his rights and duties in relation to the security have passed by assignment or operation of law;

“technical grounds ” shall be construed in accordance with subsection (5);

“time order ” has the meaning given by section 129(1);

“total charge for credit ” means a sum calculated in accordance with regulations under section 20(1);

“total price ” means the total sum payable by the debtor under a hire-purchase agreement or a conditional sale agreement, including any sum payable on the exercise of an option to purchase, but excluding any sum payable as a penalty or as compensation or damages for a breach of the agreement;

“unexecuted agreement ” means a document embodying the terms of a prospective regulated agreement, or such of them as it is intended to reduce to writing;

“unlicensed ” means without a licence, but applies only in relation to acts for which a licence is required;

“unrestricted-use credit agreement ” and “unresticted-use credit ” have the meanings given by section 11(2);

“working day ” means any day other than—

(a) Saturday or Sunday,

(b) Christmas Day or Good Friday,

© a bank holiday within the meaning given by section 1 of the M9 Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971.

(2) A person is not to be treated as carrying on a particular type of business merely because occasionally he enters into transactions belonging to a business of that type.

(3) Any provision of this Act requiring a document to be signed is complied with by a body corporate if the document is sealed by that body.

This subsection does not apply to Scotland.

(4) A document embodies a provision if the provision is set out either in the document itself or in another document referred to in it.

(5) An application dismissed by the court or the Director shall, if the court or the Director (as the case may be) so certifies, be taken to be dismissed on technical grounds only.

(6) Except in so far as the context otherwise requires, any reference in this Act to an enactment shall be construed as a reference to that enactment as amended by or under any other enactment, including this Act.

(7) In this Act, except where otherwise indicated—

(a)

a reference to a numbered Part, section or Schedule is a reference to the Part or section of, or the Schedule to, this Act so numbered, and

(b)

a reference in a section to a numbered subsection is a reference to the subsection of that section so numbered, and

©

a reference in a section, subsection or Schedule to a numbered paragraph is a reference to the paragraph of that section, subsection or Schedule so numbered.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am new to this site. I happened across it, like so many others, by googling Ruthless. My husband has been being chased by the most obnoxious 'man' (I use the term 'man' loosely) called Maxwell for about 6 months now. Even though we heve repeatedly requested proof from them, nothing has come through, other than threatening and abusive phone calls to my husband (and whoever else answers the phone even though the letters are addressed to my husband) My husband has even had phone messages left on his answer phone repeatedly calling him a liar and telling him he is going to be on the streets. (phone call recently lasted for 4 minutes).

Maxwell has also called the house number and been abusive to me. He called two solid days running, I told him I was not going to speak to him. He then phoned the house number for a solid 25 minutes. Each time I tried to tell him to go away he screamed down the phone that he was going to take my house and that I too was a liar.....

I have the letter that starts ' I do not acknowledge any debt to your company' ready to be sent. Do I leave in the paragraph that starts 'Also since you are a debt collection Agency...... 'under section 189 of the CCA 1974' ?

Can you advise me please?

hi Harrassed&unwell,

You need to start you own tread and they guys will come a long to give you advice

Get that harassment by phone letter off to Derek maxwell Asap, plus post a few more details about your debt so people can advice you more

BB

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All I need help with the above!!!

My partner is being chased for a £1000 debt mistakenly she has acknowledged the debt and has aoffered to pay £20.00 a month they are saying this is not enough can you advise where she legally stands in this as they are constantly calling and threatening legal action. The mannerisms of these people are disgusting and they simply is no talking to them. We are about to send them a letter with our offer what is the mosr likely outcome of this.

thanks in advance

Hi All I need help with the above!!!

My partner is being chased for a £1000 debt mistakenly she has acknowledged the debt and has offered to pay £20.00 a month they are saying this is not enough can you advise where she legally stands in this as they are constantly calling and threatening legal action. The mannerisms of these people are disgusting and they simply is no talking to them. We are about to send them a letter with our offer what is the most likely outcome of this and can they take her to court or send bailiffs round?

thanks in advance

The fact that she spoke on the phone to them means nothing, dont speak to them again and get things in writing.

What have they sent to you as yet?

They cannot send anyone round without a court order and they are a long way from it.

So if you have nothing in writing from them yet wait until you do.

How old is the debt, what is it for?