• Tweets

• Sorry, I may have forgot to get back on this. Please monitor for a reply tomorrow
    • Yes, now its just about getting the WS / Court bundle finalised to send to the court / Evri. I've attached the most recent version of the WS / Court bundle to save having to scroll back up to the previous post (#204) where it was also shared. If you, @BankFodder or anyone else has any feedback on this, i'd be grateful for your thoughts. In my previous post #204, i'd also attached an invoice from Packlink which shows that I was charged by Packlink for these services: "drop-off at Her mes - Next day delivery" and "Proof of Delivery". It also has the payer's address and there are "Origin" and "Destination" fields which have the postcode of the sender [origin] and the recipient [destination] - I have redacted personal details in the attached invoice.  I am already including this in my evidence bundle (without the redaction) but wanted to share this redacted version so that other people can consider this as example in their bundle of Packlink and Evri's contract being instigated by the sender of the parcel who has paid for the service, and further shows that there is information in the invoice to identify that a third party beneficiary (the sender / recipient) is involved in this transaction. I have also attached this redacted invoice in this post to save having to scroll back up. Happy to get any thoughts and if this invoice is no good, then please let me know.   Draft - Witness Statement and Court Bundle redacted.pdf Packlink invoice - REDACTED.pdf
    • Does anyone know if I would be allowed to record conversations with health professionals for my own use on my phone without them knowing. I know that we are allowed to record phone calls. I do record some of my phone calls for my own use due to my disability and if anything is said then I am covered. I would only record audio in private area's of myself and the professional dealing with me. I know I could not get and other persons audio in it and I don't intend to. my only other option is to buy a body cam but I am not sure the rules regarding this.I never thought i would have to but things are getting worse Thanks for any guidance 
    • Thanks for that. I will give them till Tuesday. Thanks for your help, very much appreciated. 
    • Ok thanks for that, well spotted and all duly noted. Yes they did eventually submit those docs to me after a second letter advising them I was contacting the ICO to make a formal complaint for failing to comply with an earlier SAR that they brushed off as an "administrative error" or something. When I sent the letter telling them I was in contact with the information commissioner to lodge the complaint, the original PCN etc quickly followed along with their excuse!
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

In-the-process-of-being-summoned-to-court-over-section-40a-of-the-road-traffic-act-1988-uk-for-overloaded-90

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 228 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi  

This thread is going round in circles and insults 

Please return and ask for it to be re-opened when you have a result if you wish 

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I can’t tell how heavy the load is by looking at it (then again, I’m not an HGV driver either)

your options are get it weighed as it is loaded, or check at a weighbridge…..

What is preventing the load shifting?

are the prosecuting you for overweight, the load / vehicle posing a risk of injury to others, or both?

Edited by BazzaS

51 minutes ago, BazzaS said:

are the prosecuting you for overweight, the load / vehicle posing a risk of injury to others, or both?

They are prosecuting under s40a of the RTA (Using vehicle in dangerous condition etc). This previous thread was locked as it was going nowhere:

It centred around the potential sentence (the explanations for which, provided both here and elsewhere, were not believed). This will probably end up the same way.

Edited by Man in the middle

threads merged temp re opened.......

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I used to work for Network Rail, and one of my duties was to weigh the vans before going out using portable weighing equipment.  People forget that the weight limit is gross, so it includes the vehicle itself, the weight of the fuel, the load plus all of the passengers, so a 3.5t Transit van's total weight must not exceed 3.5t when on the road.

• Like 2

They were tested every 6 months.  They were electroinic devices using weight loading cells, so no moving parts.   The set up comprised of two large pads - still heavy, and the display unit.  The vehicles would be weighed by each axle and the display unit would then calculate the overall gross.  Some police forces use a similar setup where weigh bridges are not an option.

Edited by borisbeaver
add more context

How will finding out whether there were any issues with any unspecified weighing equipment from an unspecified time in the past help you with your argument?

There is a basic tenet in law that any equipment used as a measuring device is presumed to be accurate unless the contrary can be proved. If you are to use faulty equipment as a defence you must prove to the court that the equipment used to weigh your vehicle was faulty on the occasion it was used to weigh it.

Simply suggesting that since some other equipment used elsewhere to weigh something else was faulty, then that used to weigh your vehicle may be unreliable, will not cut the mustard. 

@Man in the middle

Because its happen before with various types of police equipment when investigation was done it found software out of date, speed guns uncallibrated for months and years, happens every day thats why hundreds of cases up and down the country get dismissed. 

You seem to think the authorities in the country are flawless and technology does not fail.

I'm not trying to escape the system rather set an example on what a reasonable person would view.

My vehicle was 50% empty but their still calling it overloaded, but their weighbridge, which could be faulty as how can 1 axle be 10% overloaded and other 90% when the stock was virtually level? it should be 90% on each axle or very similar infact axle 1 should be heavier with the engine, diesel ad blue tank, driver weight etc 

I passed a refugee centre and the cops had reasonable grounds for suspicion that I was carry illegal immigrants/refugees as i suspect thats what they thought and wanted to inspect the load.

They were also searching for drugs, then charged me anyway for a 50% empty van, which the scales showed overloaded. I've weighed some tiles on my own scale and done the calculation i was within the limits and around 5-6 people opinions are of the view the load seemed secure and reasonable. They laughed at their version of legal load 1/5th of the van. 

Also, the police visually monitored my vehicle for 10 mins driving, how could they possibly view that as dangerous driving out of 3 hours of driving? Unless I was swerving and hitting other cars or debris were hitting cars, or smoke was blasting out, fuel was leaking causing a hazard. 

All these discounts and deals to keep stuff out of court etc are designed for the innocent just to plead guilty and not make the judges work for their money making it a tick box numbers game rather than fairness and justice that happen 100 years ago. 

• Sad 1

You are 100% entitled to plead not guilty and introduce those arguments.

are the 5-6 people going to appear as experts for you?

(Is it 5 or 6? If you can’t count the difference don’t let on to the magistrates, as they might decide it makes it more likely you are also wrong over the weight if you have dyscalculia) 

The bench are entitled to agree or disagree with those arguments.

Let the site know how you get on.

Edited by BazzaS

They may well agree that they wish such serious cases got heard sooner.

However, that doesn’t provide you with a defence provided the first NIP was within time, and the court received the request to summons you with the statutory period (6 months in E&W, 1 year in Scotland).

Brave of you though to stress how serious the offence is, at the same time as pleading not guilty. If they then find you guilty it’s almost like saying “yup, fine me towards the top end of the sentencing guidelines, because I’ve reminded you how serious the offence is”!

Edited by BazzaS

9 hours ago, Braveheart2009 said:

Also, the police visually monitored my vehicle for 10 mins driving, how could they possibly view that as dangerous driving out of 3 hours of driving?

I didn't know you'd been charged with dangerous driving.  First you've mentioned of it.

I've tried, but I think I'm out (again).  Do let us know how it goes.

• I agree 1

• 6 months later...

Been advised on here and elsewhere of prison sentence, community service, £100,000 fines, court appearence in the dock with the traffic commissioner grilling you about what you done,  for being 2.71 ton over 77%. overloaded

They slapped me with 3 points and £245 fine. Main reason I plead guilty was £2000-4000 plus lawyer fees to pay following a failed investigation then court fines ontop of it. Also, didnt have enough paperwork, eye witness, video/audio recordings to defend just my geuine reasons which lawyers/public ridiculed me for apart from 1-2 good friends who defended me. 

Lawyers gave me a very inaccurate picture like it was so serious you could face dangerous driving and case will be esculated to the crown court. oh deary me!, your better defending yourself in court and read some books. 

Reason, I am posting is to calm drivers fears over overloading. The 3 points come off automatically after 3 years from the offence date but they remain on your driving history record between 4-11 years depending on severity. They give you 14 days to pay your fine online. No court appearence they just want your money. 

They took around 6 months to complete everything. 

It sounds as if you have been extremely lucky. Overloading is an underestimated serious matter which can cause vehicles to run out of control and cause injury to innocent people.

• AndyOrch changed the title to In-the-process-of-being-summoned-to-court-over-section-40a-of-the-road-traffic-act-1988-uk-for-overloaded-90

Been advised on here and elsewhere of prison sentence, community service, £100,000 fines, court appearence in the dock with the traffic commissioner grilling you about what you done,  for being 2.71 ton over 77%. overloaded

Not on here you haven't (and nor elsewhere that I've seen). Those notions came from your vivid imagination and were dismissed on here (which you chose not to believe).

They slapped me with 3 points and £245 fine.

Which was in line with most suggestions, though the fine is a bit generous for such serious overloading.

just my geuine reasons which lawyers/public ridiculed me...

That's principally because, from your description, they were ridiculous.

Main reason I plead guilty was £2000-4000 plus lawyer fees to pay 

You don't need a lawyer to plead Not Guilty. I would suggest your guilty plea was very wise since, again from your description of events, you clearly were guilty.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BankFodder said:

It sounds as if you have been extremely lucky. Overloading is an underestimated serious matter which can cause vehicles to run out of control and cause injury to innocent people.

4 hours ago, Man in the middle said:

plead Not Guilty. I would suggest your guilty plea was very wise since, again from your description of events, you clearly were guilty.

The police lied to me they said they would charge me £600. £355 more than a court judge! Then they sent me a letter 2 days later saying your weight limit is above our criteria? They didn't know what they were talking about in the first place.

The court fine for being 10% overloaded on axle 1 was £37 and for being 90% overloaded on axle 2 was the same £37?

There was a £90 victim surcharge?  there was no victim involved?

Such a serious offence a police officer hasn't seen in 6 years serving is this? Not even a court appearance?

They don't want to spend a penny talking to you just give us your money and go.

Android courts.

Next it will be an app to plead guilty with a recorded audio about how severe your actions were. 

Then I'm bemused about why you didn't plead not guilty if you really felt you were not guilty.

There is no obligation whatsoever for anyone in court in England & Wales - even in a murder case - to pay for legal representation.

You could have done it all yourself.  You reckoned you had all the legal arguments.  Therefore you should have represented yourself, pleaded not guilty, and been acquitted for overloading even though you overloaded and shown all the idiots on this forum and elsewhere were wrong even though they have been proved right.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Solicitors who don't call/email you back, 

Wrong incompetent information

500 miles of traveling cost possibly x 5 adjourned court appearance due to delays happen last time.

Dealing with a social worker to decide their opinion what to write on the judges report. The judge doesn't have a clue about the case until the day. 

The courts are a theater we're games are played so you need to play to win. 

12 hours ago, Man in the middle said:

Not on here you haven't (and nor elsewhere that I've seen). Those notions came from your vivid imagination and were dismissed on here (which you chose not to believe).

Which was in line with most suggestions, though the fine is a bit generous for such serious overloading.

That's principally because, from your description, they were ridiculous.

You don't need a lawyer to plead Not Guilty. I would suggest your guilty plea was very wise since, again from your description of events, you clearly were guilty.

They took 6 months to slap me with 3 points and money for their lunches. 

You get 3 points for going through a red traffic light or speeding so it's the same for a 90% overload on an axle.

I'm going to claim hardship on the fine I will be dealing with an algorithm.