style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 354 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Will probably watch it on TV.

Would prefer an elected president as Head of state. But arguably UK only needs a PM running a Ministerial team with the permission of Parliament to carry out all functions on behalf of UK. Royal family would still exist and attract tourists, but would not have role in anything official like opening Parliament or signing off acts of Parliament etc.

So not in favour of swearing an oath as that sounds very old fashioned and just part of theatrical production considerations.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I agree about the oath being outdated, I'm not in favour either. I was intrigued by the wording of the oath - which law is it referring to?

“I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.”

Illegitimi non carborundum

nope, am not interested, why should we be paying for this?? No one has any money spare right now, tbh I am not a fan of the Royals, cost tax payers etc far too much

• Like 1

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

I'm planning to ignore it completely and to refuse to read anything that even vaguely mentions it ... apart from reading all your interesting opinions on this thread 😃

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I'm not against having a monarch as head of state - the alternative if we replaced iit with an elected presidency right now would most likely be President Boris Johnson - but couldn't care less about watching the coronation itself. I'm fine with it happening but can't be arsed to watch it myself. Watching the coronation on TV isn't an indicator of whether you would prefer King Charles or President Johnson as head of state.

And people at home in the streets chanting an oath of allegiance, apparently dreamed up by the Archbishop of Canterbury, is just too stupid for words and I won't be doing it. The Sun quotes someone (can't remember who) as saying that the sale of the worldwide TV rights in the Abbey will more than cover the other costs.

Most cost extimates seem to be complete inventions although it is promised costs will be published after the event.

I'm going to have a go at making the Coronation Quiche though, just for fun.

Good for Charles becoming King. 

I'm just going to enjoy my extra day off from work and... No - I will not be pledging my allegiance to the King ;)

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I'll be interested to hear about the TV coverage as I don't plan on watching it. From what I've seen, only a third or so of the public plan to.

When Charles got married the first time, like fko I was happy with the extra day off. I spent it at the sports club I was a member of wearing the Private Eye t-shirt that said 'Whar wedding?'

Illegitimi non carborundum

Just now, honeybee13 said:

I'll be interested to hear about the TV coverage as I don't plan on watching it. From what I've seen, only a third or so of the public plan to.

When Charles got married the first time, like fko I was happy with the extra day off. I spent it at the sports club I was a member of wearing the Private Eye t-shirt that said 'Whar wedding?'

I do wonder what Mr Hislop is thinking about the coronation  :) - Id love to know! :)

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

They should give him his own show - Have I Got A Meme For You! :) 

On a side note, not many parties on near where I live. London is an hour away and I dont fancy fighting the crowds for the coronation...

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

The original quiche on the Buckingham Palace website isn't very expensive to start with.

The Coronation Quiche | The Royal Family

Comparing Jack Monroe's it will be a bit cheaper as she substitutes cream cheese for double cream, peas for braoad beans, and omits the trarragon, but I wouldn't have thought there was that much in  it. The Guardian doesn't offer a cost comparison. Still, the more options the merrier I say!

Jack Monroe’s cheaper coronation quiche for the Big Help Out – recipe | Food | The Guardian

My road is having a street party to celebrate this enormous unnecessary expense, apparently they think they can forbid vehicular access to my road from 08:00 to 23:00.

I see that as a challenge.

• Like 1

I do like the Monarchy, well most of them - spare us!!!

I would like to watch the Coronation live as it is a historic event but I am busy during the morning, so I will watch it on catch up.

As to the oath, I don't think that's necessary and is a personal choice.

• Like 1

On 30/04/2023 at 06:51, honeybee13 said:

... It's being suggested that millions of people should swear an oath of allegiance to the king - what do we think of that?

1 hour ago, honeybee13 said:

According to James Cleverly, for the serfs - sorry, public - to swear allegiance is a 'generous offer by the monarch.

It's arse about face.

Charles should be swearing allegiance TO the people of this country and those parts of the Commonwealth that aren't republics

• Like 1

OH will be watching it... I won't.

She has some respect for what Charlie's gone through while waiting for this.

But, she agrees with me that there are too many "hangers on" and the "family" needs slimming down.

I understand Charlie has already started doing that.

Other countries fulfil their obligations with a single head of state, why can't we?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

On 30/04/2023 at 16:08, honeybee13 said:

Please let us know how the quiche goes, Ethel. :) 

Well, I've had a go and it's turned out OK, but nowhere near as neat-looking as one the chef in the Buckingham Palace kitchens makes! How does she get her pastry so perfect.... envy, envy.  The King and The Queen Consort's Coronation Quiche - YouTube

Tastes good though, the tarragon works well.  Popular with all the family so looks like I'll be making it again...

Coronation_Quiche.pdf Coronation_Quiche_a.pdf

• Thanks 1