Another BES victim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3394 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Goodness - just had the exact same issue with BES Utilities.

We took over premises that had been empty for a few years in Ashbourne, Derbyshire.

It took us ages to find who the existing supplier was, mainly because BES Utilities were sending their letters to the wrong address.

We've tried to change to an alternative supplier offering better rates but are unable to first clear the debt to BES Utilities, who are charging us £1.50 per day but are still sending their final bill to the wrong address (either that or not sending to the new address we gave a couple of months ago).

We've clocked up 5 units of electricity, worth less than a pound @ their rate of 22p per unit, and now owe them over £44 on top of paying them £86 a month ago.

That's £130 for 5 units!

So we're clocking up about £44 per month, consuming no electricity and can't pay a final bill because they don't send us one. And we can't move to a new supplier 'til they give their permission. It's as though they are holding us to ransom on very high "out of contract" rates.

We asked for some leniency as they had sent bills to a wrong address.

They did apologise "that a mistake had been made", but carefully did not admit any mistake, blaming the previous occupants with whom they had a proper contract.

In our case they say we have a "Deemed" contract, and can effectively charge what they like.

But they are clearly taking their time over tidying up the errors whilst collecting the £1.50 standing charge.

Today we were passed to a BES Utilities customer services team member who, when I said I would post the above facts to this forum in an honest and accurate manner said that I was trying to blackmail the company and spreading smear stories about them. I explained that I simply wanted to give them an opportunity to review the case and change their mind about insisting we pay their charge. I did run the story past him again, as above, to check for accuracy and he agreed it was accurate as stated.

He said, and I believe him, that he had asked the most senior member of staff available and they had refused to review the case, insisting that we settle up in full.

In my opinion I believe that BES Utilities aren't interested in settling matters quickly when out-of-contract customers ask to leave, and enjoy the discretionary charges they can make during any delays. I'd go as far as to say they make efforts to introduce delays, on purpose, in order to further delay, as seems to be the case made by earlier commentators on this thread.

I would advise others to think carefully before using them as a supplier, or at least get a Law degree and read all their fine print before engaging them.

But you are not an "Out of Contract" customer. You are a new user without a contract with any supplier and as such should be being charged "deemed" rates which I always thought were a halfway house between Contract & Out of Contract. Have you approached another supplier or energy broker?

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Goodness - just had the exact same issue with BES Utilities.

We took over premises that had been empty for a few years in Ashbourne, Derbyshire.

It took us ages to find who the existing supplier was, mainly because BES Utilities were sending their letters to the wrong address.

We've tried to change to an alternative supplier offering better rates but are unable to first clear the debt to BES Utilities, who are charging us £1.50 per day but are still sending their final bill to the wrong address (either that or not sending to the new address we gave a couple of months ago).

We've clocked up 5 units of electricity, worth less than a pound @ their rate of 22p per unit, and now owe them over £44 on top of paying them £86 a month ago.

That's £130 for 5 units!

So we're clocking up about £44 per month, consuming no electricity and can't pay a final bill because they don't send us one. And we can't move to a new supplier 'til they give their permission. It's as though they are holding us to ransom on very high "out of contract" rates.

We asked for some leniency as they had sent bills to a wrong address.

They did apologise "that a mistake had been made", but carefully did not admit any mistake, blaming the previous occupants with whom they had a proper contract.

In our case they say we have a "Deemed" contract, and can effectively charge what they like.

But they are clearly taking their time over tidying up the errors whilst collecting the £1.50 standing charge.

Today we were passed to a BES Utilities customer services team member who, when I said I would post the above facts to this forum in an honest and accurate manner said that I was trying to blackmail the company and spreading smear stories about them. I explained that I simply wanted to give them an opportunity to review the case and change their mind about insisting we pay their charge. I did run the story past him again, as above, to check for accuracy and he agreed it was accurate as stated.

He said, and I believe him, that he had asked the most senior member of staff available and they had refused to review the case, insisting that we settle up in full.

In my opinion I believe that BES Utilities aren't interested in settling matters quickly when out-of-contract customers ask to leave, and enjoy the discretionary charges they can make during any delays. I'd go as far as to say they make efforts to introduce delays, on purpose, in order to further delay, as seems to be the case made by earlier commentators on this thread.

I would advise others to think carefully before using them as a supplier, or at least get a Law degree and read all their fine print before engaging them.

Hi,

We're sorry to hear you're having some problems with your account and this delay doesn't sound right at all. We'd like to look into this and resolve your complaint if possible.

If you'd like us to investigate, please send your details to [email protected].

Thank you,

BES Utilities - Online Team

But you are not an "Out of Contract" customer. You are a new user without a contract with any supplier and as such should be being charged "deemed" rates which I always thought were a halfway house between Contract & Out of Contract. Have you approached another supplier or energy broker?

Hi

Yes, contacted other suppliers who offer much better rates, but we are not allowed to move until all debts with BES Utilities are satisfied - which I guess is why they're in no hurry to send their invoices to the correct address.

Hi,

We're sorry to hear you're having some problems with your account and this delay doesn't sound right at all. We'd like to look into this and resolve your complaint if possible.

If you'd like us to investigate, please send your details to *email address removed*

Thank you,

Kind of you, but I already spoke with your team, transferred up and spoke with senior staff and your company decision was "Final" as you can see from what you quoted from my original post.

Best are currently under investigation anyway. Keep your complaint in writing so the regulators have more evidence

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Kind of you, but I already spoke with your team, transferred up and spoke with senior staff and your company decision was "Final" as you can see from what you quoted from my original post.

Hi Eco Republic,

It may be that we can help, even if you've tried to resolve this previously, but we will need some details from you if you do want us to pursue this. You can email us with your account and contact details at [email protected] if you'd like us to.

Best regards,

Funny how they can say they are still able to help. Even though it's been to senior management. Must be that investigation they're getting scared of.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Hi

Yes, contacted other suppliers who offer much better rates, but we are not allowed to move until all debts with BES Utilities are satisfied - which I guess is why they're in no hurry to send their invoices to the correct address.

You say you have contacted other suppliers but have you actually agreed a contract with one. If so has another supplier come back to tell you BES refuse to do anything. If you only owe a months worth of electric & they are refusing to let you move then in my mind you are being held to ransom on an unfair term and they must be reported as such.

For myself I have more than one property with business contracts and only have to give them 4 weeks notice at the end of my contract period - 12 months - if I wish to move. Each account is on a Variable Direct Debit and is therefore paid in full every month.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Eco Republic,

It may be that we can help, even if you've tried to resolve this previously, but we will need some details from you if you do want us to pursue this. You can email us with your account and contact details at [email protected] if you'd like us to.

Best regards,

It appears to me you have enough information given here to enable you to help. Begs the question as to why not. You are certainly not covering yourselves with any glory - rather the opposite. This appears to have dragged on for some time at great expense to your customer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What are the arrears that BES are after? How were they incurred?

What is the basis of the "deemed" contract? Is there some law which relates to this. In fact maybe the BES rep would like to answer this one please?

It's no wonder they're under heavy investigation.

• 1 month later...

If anyone would care to check out the website for Fleetwood Town Football Club you will see that Mr Pilley is making much about the fact that he has been invited to a meeting with George Osborne, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, next week with regards to business in the North.

If you also Google 'how to make contact with George Osborne' to raise any issues with him then the link to his offices e-mail address is easy to follow.

What are the arrears that BES are after? How were they incurred?

What is the basis of the "deemed" contract? Is there some law which relates to this. In fact maybe the BES rep would like to answer this one please?

Deafening silence from BES Utilities.

Nice to see a customer-facing transparent and ethical approach.