British Gas moving me to a new fixed tariff without my consent....help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 214 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

During the beginning of the Ukraine War my utility provider went into administration and we were moved to british gas.

I am classed as a new energy platform customer.

My contract term ended in April 2023. I was notified of this in my regular monthly bill.

I understood that if i did nothing i would automatically go on the standard variable tariff, so i did nothing as the variable rate is cheaper than the fixed term contract.

I did not check my bill tariff in May and June as like most people i was only really concerned about the amount i billed for. I only started looking at my breakdown in detail since the July bill where i noticed i have been placed on a new fixed tariff where i was being charged more for electric and gas than the previous tariff.

I raised this with british gas, they say they are investigating this. I am told its with the investigating team, british gas do not provide contact details for this team.

Its been 8wks, i still haven't heard anything from them.

Is there anything i can do to expedite this matter and reach a conclusion ?

All advice is appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Scali

When you say that you understood that if you did nothing you would automatically go onto the standard variable tariff, or your understanding based on something in writing or something else?

Also, how much are we talking about in terms of value

Hi BankFodder,

Something else, as of Nov/December i remember watching martin lewis who mentioned that tariffs are going up and if your deal is coming to an end and to negotiate with your current supplier as to what deals are available. No supplier in the UK were offering any fixed deals, this only started in Aug/Sept 2023. It was also mentioned that if you did not choose a new tariff you automatically go on to the suppliers standard variable tariff, however this may go up or down depending on whole sale energy prices and the price cap set by OFGEM.

my previous and present tariff:-

Electricity  difference from 44p to 52p standing charge, and 31p to 36p per Kw/hr

Gas difference from 29p to 36p standing charge, and 8p to 9p per Kw/hr

i never consented to be put on this tariff.

thanks

Thank you for telling us the rate difference – but it doesn't mean a lot to me in understanding the value of any dispute. How much is this meant to you in pounds shillings and pence since the changeover.

I suppose it's not going to be very much money as scarcely worth making serious trouble for at this stage. I think that I might consider making an initial complaint to the energy ombudsman. I very rarely suggest that anybody goes to any kind of options for because they are all interested but this might be a good starting place for you.

I suggest that you make a formal complaint to your supplier and ask for a final response so that you can go to the energy ombudsman.

Don't have high expectations but you may as well start digging around and stirring it up.

What's the value of this?

Thanks BankFodder,

Is difficult to judge the difference in value as i have not used the same amount of energy from this Sept compared to last Sept, we have drastically cut down just like most people in the country, and we also have had long and warm summer. i did a comparison as if we consumed the same gas and electric from last sept as compared to this sept and you are quite right, there is a difference of £17, however, energy prices are coming down and have been for the last 3 months, yet im being charged more.

Thanks for the advice, i have, today been in touch with ombudsman and started a complaint, it can take 6-8 wks until an outcome is reached. I ll post any significant events as and when i cross them.

Thankyou