Benefit fraud

Marco1970
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3597 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After some advice really I'm being sent for iuc for benefit fraud.

A friend of mine was initially having probs with getting bank account due to her being American,so I let her use my account ,we have now moved in together approx a year ago as couple and stupidly didn't inform dwp of change of circumstances

Now worried they will have got bank statements for last 4 years and try and charge me for fraud goin back 4 years which wasn't the case.

Is having wages paid in enough to convict ?

Hi Marco, welcome to CAG - I have moved your thread to the benefit forums where you will likely attract more visitors :) You need do nothing, it is purely an administrative move.

I am sure someone will be along as soon as they can to help.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes it would be, however prior to a year ago I presume your partner had an alternative address where she was liable for council tax, bills and had a tenancy agreement?

Prior to this last year did she use your address for anything financial? Credit etc?

Personally I think having their income paid in regularly into your sole account is enough to provide a financial connection for the whole period. As above with tomtom, did their bills for rent/utilities/counciltax etc for where they were living also go out of your account?

All bills at previous add were in exes name although I admit financial connection is that beyond reasonable doubt that we were co inhabiting...would it stand up in court.

I can’t think of any explanation that would convince an interviewer that by living together as a couple your combined incomes should not be taken into account when assessing entitlement to benefit by either one of you. So, as far as the last year is concerned, it looks like you’ve answered your own question.

Are you saying that your American friend’s wages have been paid into your account for the past 4 years?

As for the first 3 years of the period, I would think the first thing that the interviewer would want explaining is why someone apparently entitled to work and earn wages in the UK should have a problem opening a bank account in the UK.

The second thing is, if the DWP has examined your bank account would they be able to link expenditure from the account with payment of your personal expenditure in excess of the amounts your benefits covered.

You would need a convincing explanation of this along with evidence that you did not benefit from the arrangement. Only you or your friend can provide such an explanation and such evidence since you are the only ones who know all the details.

It is also to be hoped for that your interviewer does not conclude that your recent history, bills in ex’s name, account replenished by present one, could suggest the ill-use or exploitation of your female friends.

• Haha 1

Marco, another thing not in your favour is that you failed to notify the DWP of the change of circumstances a year ago when you claim cohabitation began and continued claiming as if single which is evidence of dishonesty. That won't go in your favour with the rest of the story. Personally I think the DWP would take this to court if you denied the 4 years or refused to repay the money as they would have significant evidence in their case but that's my personal opinion and it will be up to a decision maker.

Also if you were in receipt of countil tax reduction (Single person 25% discount) then I suspect that will need repaying as well.

There is no reason why it has taken your friend so long to get a bank account. Im sure she would of had one IN the USA. Did her US bank not have a branch in the UK?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.