DWP demand access in your home & documents

dyfed
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3587 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry guys but here is yet more of our civil liberties, human rights being taken for the crime of being sick, disabled and unemployed.

When is this unjustice going to stop?

"In today’s scary news, it has emerged that the DWP are claiming the right to enter the home of people in receipt of a variety of benefits, demand to see their ID and financial documents, and interrogate them for an hour or more. All without prior warning."..................more @

http://glynismillward189.wordpress.com/2014/06/18/dwp-demand-access-to-your-home-documents/

Is this the british values david talks of?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a real source instead of a blog?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I would imagine that could be challenged

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I would imagine that could be challenged

I agree, however the DWP may impose a sanction for failing to "engage" etc

Im not sure how this will play out but as we know and have seen the government and DWP can and will do what they want. Even the law does not get in their way!

"You may get a visit from a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) officer to check that your benefits payments are correct."

Funny, that is what I thought could be found out by an electoral roll, benefits database and signing on etc. Yet more civil liberties taken away and being treated like a criminal. Put it this way, I live with my parents who are disabled and if this happened to me my Father's response would probably go along the lines of "p*ss off, if you want to speak to my son you do it in writing or on the phone not in my private space"

Home visits by (what was known as) a compliance officer is nothing new - There was no obligation to allow them entry to your home, and there is nothing on the gov.uk page to suggest that they have the legal authority to enter.

With any personal caller, if you can not confirm their identity or have any doubts about them, you are within your rights to ask them to leave. if they refuse, a quick call to the police to report a possible fraudster will soon change their mind.

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Worry not, the furthest they would get is the front door before it was politely shut in their face after being told to put everything in writing if they wish to communicate with me. Perhaps they also wish to watch and time me having a p*ss in case it impacts on my (fake) job searching activity

They've been doing this for years. Actually, there were a lot more Visiting Officers in the 80s and 90s than there are these days.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

They've been doing this for years. Actually, there were a lot more Visiting Officers in the 80s and 90s than there are these days.

Yes. Its just a Compliance visit, nothing new here.

A badly written, scaremongering blog by someone with a chip on their shoulder & judging from the responses on here, it's mission accomplished for them!

Surely they need to check who you are, that you live were you say you live and that the financial information declared is correct so that any relevant benefit can be paid?

If you do not need to claim any help then deny access and do not give the information. However if you are genuine and are in need and entitled to benefits, I cannot see any problem with this.

If they were looking at any claimant for fraud etc they can obtain pretty much any information they want on you without your say so, so it's a moot point.

Obviously from a DPA aspect I can see the concerns of information being leaked to a third party/different claimant as this does happen, but not all the time.

Yes. Its just a Compliance visit, nothing new here.

A badly written, scaremongering blog by someone with a chip on their shoulder & judging from the responses on here, it's mission accomplished for them!

Well consider that the information was "Last updated: 2 June 2014" I would say that the information is fairly new.

However badly written you consider this blog to be (and I would love to read your blog) the information is correct.

" scaremongering"? Maybe but it is also reality. This is happening. What should I do? Keep this kinda information from people?

Hey even if it aint new information it is still worth putting it out there and talking about it.

Well I think so anyway :-)

Well consider that the information was "Last updated: 2 June 2014" I would say that the information is fairly new.

However badly written you consider this blog to be (and I would love to read your blog) the information is correct.

" scaremongering"? Maybe but it is also reality. This is happening. What should I do? Keep this kinda information from people?

Hey even if it aint new information it is still worth putting it out there and talking about it.

Well I think so anyway :-)

The point is that the blog conflates issues and makes something that has been routine for decades out to be some sinister new form of Orwellian government intrusion.

DWP Compliance Officers do not have, never have had, and do not claim any "right" to access your home or documents. You are perfectly free to turn them away or otherwise refuse to cooperate. So when the blog writer attempts to compare them to Police Officers, it is a (willful?) misunderstanding of the situation. If you tell a CO to go away, he or she will leave peacefully. If you refuse to show a requested document, the CO will not go to court or make any other attempt to force you to show it. And non-cooperation with a CO cannot be used as evidence that any criminal fraud is taking place.

Of course, you will probably find your benefits stopped if you flat out tell a CO where to go. This is because, when you claim benefits, you agree to certain terms and conditions. One of those is that you can be required to submit certain information to the DWP on request to confirm your continued entitlement. Compliance Interviews have been part and parcel of this for decades now - and as I said, they're actually less common now than they used to be as there aren't as many COs to conduct the interviews as there used to be.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

The point is that the blog conflates issues and makes something that has been routine for decades out to be some sinister new form of Orwellian government intrusion.

DWP Compliance Officers do not have, never have had, and do not claim any "right" to access your home or documents. You are perfectly free to turn them away or otherwise refuse to cooperate. So when the blog writer attempts to compare them to Police Officers, it is a (willful?) misunderstanding of the situation. If you tell a CO to go away, he or she will leave peacefully. If you refuse to show a requested document, the CO will not go to court or make any other attempt to force you to show it. And non-cooperation with a CO cannot be used as evidence that any criminal fraud is taking place.

Of course, you will probably find your benefits stopped if you flat out tell a CO where to go. This is because, when you claim benefits, you agree to certain terms and conditions. One of those is that you can be required to submit certain information to the DWP on request to confirm your continued entitlement. Compliance Interviews have been part and parcel of this for decades now - and as I said, they're actually less common now than they used to be as there aren't as many COs to conduct the interviews as there used to be.

Where has the blogger compared the CO's to police officers? In the comments section by others making these comments?

The blogger states more than once that you can turn a CO away.

I, like many others do consider policies like these to be intrusive and orwellian. Also to me the fact that this has been going on for decades does not make it right or okay.

Has it always been the case that victims are choosen at random or have the DWP had to have some evidence or concern over fraud issues first before banging on someones door?

Have to agree with Jabba Jones, the DWP are not '...claiming the right to enter the home of people in receipt of a variety of benefits, ...' at all.

Maybe not claiming the right to enter ones home but;

"What to expect

The officer will interview you in your home and will want to see 2 forms of identification. They’ll also ask to see documents about money, savings and rent, eg:"

Its bad enough them knocking our doors expecting to be let in and given information they ask for or face the possibility of sanctions or more hassle if you dont comply.

You might not have a problem with this but I consider it to be intrusive and Orwellian.

"What to expect

The officer will interview you in your home and will want to see 2 forms of identification. They’ll also ask to see documents about money, savings and rent, eg:"

Its bad enough them knocking our doors expecting to be let in and given information they ask for or face the possibility of sanctions or more hassle if you dont comply.

You might not have a problem with this but I consider it to be intrusive and Orwellian.

Would take more than an hour for me to find these things as I am not at all organised, plus I cannot stand strangers in my home! No appointment made in advance means no admittance to my home!

"What to expect

Well as previously stated the claimant agrees to provide whatever is required so it's not like they are not made aware that documentation could be requested.

It's neither intrusive or Orwellian. If you wants the money, you play the game, unless of course you have something to hide.

Play the game? Do you not understand that some people are claiming after putting money into the system and or have little choice?

That stinks of a rubbish attitude. For most people this is no game.

It is intrusive! The DWP can make appointments and request any paperwork at their premises at any time! Doorstepping unless there is a suspision of fraud should not be allowed

Well as previously stated the claimant agrees to provide whatever is required so it's not like they are not made aware that documentation could be requested.

It's neither intrusive or Orwellian. If you wants the money, you play the game, unless of course you have something to hide.

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Play the game? Do you not understand that some people are claiming after putting money into the system and or have little choice?

That stinks of a rubbish attitude. For most people this is no game.

It is intrusive! The DWP can make appointments and request any paperwork at their premises at any time! Doorstepping unless there is a suspision of fraud should not be allowed

When I say play the game, I mean the game of providing what YOU agree to provide if requested at the start of any claim. If you do not want to agree to provide information then do not claim. This goes for whether a person has paid into the system or not.

Would you prefer that no checks/verification is conducted and people claim willy nilly regardless of any entitlement?

Claiming with the DWP is a game, they try to make it hard by making you jump through loops, if you don't want to jump through them, you have to accept the consequences.

As for making appointments, what if they believe you are not resident, have others living with you etc and they make an appointment. All the claimant will do is make sure they are in or alone at the property etc.

Have you tried claiming HB or CTRS, council's generally ask for a lot more proof then the DWP.

As far as i am concerned the dwp know all about me anyhow, from numerous reports, letters and forms. I have cctv outside and inside my home as i am vulnerable due to my health conditions and feel safer with it. I have nothing to hide so they can smile for the camera if they wish. I once a few years ago had a visit from a CO, it was a HB check, she asked questions same as i had answered on my form, i signed a statement that it was all correct, she thanked me and left. It all seemed routine, and she said it was just a check and they do this regularly but i may not have had one before as theres not many of them to do it now. All was good and i heard no more.

However had i been claiming fraudulently she may have picked up on something, its the fraudulent claims being paid out that cause genuine claimants such a hard time IMO. If it helps ferret out fraud then i would comply.

The DWP have always conducted home visits, especially if you're also claiming Housing Benefit - I've had one myself - though they did notify me first and make a convenient appointment. Yes, they are 'nosing' about, hoping to spot some inconsistency with what you've previously told them, but I can understand that they do need to make random checks, if only to be seen to be doing something to combat fraud.

I think what's getting people's backs up now is their mention of not letting you know when they're coming - obviously deliberately done to put a psychological scare into those who do have something to hide. Bit like the TV licensing; I've never owned a tv for 11 years but still get letters saying 'One of our people may call to verify you still have no tv'. Only had this once and I kept him at the back door, stated I still had no tv and off he went (no doubt he'd sat in his car beforehand scanning my house for a tv signal).

If the DWP call on me they won't get admittance and I'll just tell them that everything is as it was stated on my claim. Anything else they want to talk about I'll come into the Jobcentre and they can pay me my bus fare - which will also pay for my shopping trip too. :)

The blog is scaremongering.

The DWP conduct less home visits than before- simply because it's an expensive form of customer contact. Unnotified non fraud visits are even rarer- the risk being that it's a wasted journey.

The DWP have always been able to ask for documents in support of your claim. You can say no, but they may then be unable to assess your claim.

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.