Returning bricked phone

Creole
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3648 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son has somehow bricked his phone after trying to download a software. We've had this phone for less than 7 days, can we have it replaced? The network provider is vodafone but we got the phone through mobile phone direct online. Who do we approach in the first instance.

. This is a two year contract phone. Thanks for any help given.

How do you mean bricked? Was it an official OS update? Or has he tried modifying it? If the former, then yes, the provider or retailer can sort it. If the latter, then nope.

You need to be specific and define what you mean by 'a software'. To me, it sounds like he's tried modifying/routing it and messed up.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Can you give more detail? Because its really sounding like he was trying to install a custom rom. In which case, it is very likely that youre out of luck, unless the phone company decides to be compassionate.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

SO he tried modding the phone which in all likelihood invalidated his warranty. The best thing to do now is call the phone company or the place where he bought it from and see what they can do, if anything.

Also, depending on the phone and model number, you might be able to do a sequence of keypresses which reverts it back to its default state.

Doesnt matter. The phone worked fine, until your son tried changing the firmware. As i said. If you cant find out how to revert it back to its default settings or pay to have it done, you are wholly reliant on the goodwill of the phone company/retailer to sort it for you. Most will simply tell you its your own fault and you are liable for the rest of the contract ( as the sim can still be used in other phones). Some however may be able to help. Youll just have to ask.

So the sale of goods act doesn't apply? It's a 2 year contract.

The sale of goods act most certainly applies to the sale of the phone, but I can't see how that helps you.

Was the phone of merchantable quality? Yes, it was fine until the unauthorised software update that isn't covered under warranty.

Was the phone fit for the purpose for which it was sold?. Unless your son told them "and I want to install unapproved software which could 'brick' the phone", and they agreed it should do that, they haven't breached the Sale of Goods Act

What part of the Act were you planning on relying on?

If you bought a new car and took it racing on Silverstone having drained all the oil .... You can't use SOGA 1979 to complain when the engine seizes.

How is installing unauthorised firmware that ' bricks' the phone different ?

From : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.cf3d

Chainfire3D is an intermediary OpenGL driver. What does that mean? It means that Chainfire3D sits between your apps and the graphics drivers, and can intercept and/or change commands between the two. It has some built-in functions, and can be further extended with plugins to provide extra functionality.

!! For Froyo and Gingerbread ONLY. NOT COMPATIBLE with Honeycomb/Ice Cream Sandwich/Jelly Bean !!

!! Chainfire3D is for 1ghz+ devices only !!

!! ROOT is required for this program, as well as a writable /system partition. S-OFF is also required on HTC devices !!

!! There is some risk involved installing the driver. Your device may not boot. If you have CWM, it would be prudent to create a backup before installing !!

He should go to the XDA developers forum where there will be a subforum for his model phone. http://www.xda-developers.com/

Chainfire is a very helpful developer and will very likely be able to advise as to what - if anything - can be done.

If the phone is in a boot loop - then it is not entirely bricked and there may well be a way to get it functioning again.

He was trying to install chain fire 3d a graphics firmware. It was suppose to reboot but it went into a boot loop.

Did he read the requirements for Chainfire3D first:

!! For Froyo and Gingerbread ONLY. NOT COMPATIBLE with Honeycomb/Ice Cream Sandwich/Jelly Bean !!

!! Chainfire3D is for 1ghz+ devices only !!

!! ROOT is required for this program, as well as a writable /system partition. S-OFF is also required on HTC devices !!

If his phone doesn't fit any of the above, WHY did he try install it ???

• 3 weeks later...