Chargeback from customer

I run a small retail business selling cards & gifts ( all my sales are done on a face - face basis  ) & noticed one of the settlement amounts on the card terminal bank deposits was short so contacted the card company which said a customer has requested a chargeback on a sale the reason saying the goods bought was not fit for the purpose purchased for.

I have old fashion till which does not show any sales or descriptions of what is bought, plus when the settlement statements match up i shred the sale receipts.

The card company told me the transaction was paid for with the customers phone & shows on my portal.

They have asked me for sales prof, cctv, terminal receipt of the transaction which I have none, as this was done a few weeks later.

I have asked for pictures to prove the items are not fit for the purpose purchased for plus said if the customer can return them i would give them a full refund but have had nothing back plus no pictures.

Also I have had no communication with the customer even asking me for a full refund.

They have now closed the case & awarded the customer the full refund.

Any advice would much be appreciated 

How much are we talking about here

Well you could bring a small claim with a very high chance of success on the basis of what you say stop

However it will cost you £35 at least for the claim fee – and possibly another 25 for the hearing fee. You would get these back if you win but I'm afraid that you don't have to ask yourself whether you think it is really worth it.

I appreciate that you want to keep your desk tidy that maybe you should introduce a different policy in terms of record keeping – how long you keep them for

It was more the principle of this matter the customer has made no attempt to return the products purchased nor have I had no prof of anything & i have had to try & prove the sale which was paid for by the customers phone at the till.

Only keep them till I check if the settlements tally up with the bank.

Just think its a way of being scammed & the banks are helping them in a way 

Yes I can imagine that kind of thing rankles a lot. I don't know what the timescale is for making chargeback claims. I suggest that you find out and then change your way working so that you keep records at least until then. It may be six months

I know now, but always thought that if the transaction was excepted by card only way a customer could get a refund is by taking the goods back to get their money back 

For my bank chargeback is up to 12 months after purchase. For Paypal it's just 6 months. That's why I prefer the credit card.

I don't try and scam shop keepers though... sorry about what happened to you 😰

chargeback is 120days from when you realise you could, though you must be within 540 days in total

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It is terrible tho that you have to prove the purchase took place when the dispute is the goods are not fit for the purpose purchased for.

Banks need to do more investigation into the matter.

• I agree 2