iPhone IOS update debacle. Phone rendered useless

crantinope
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could provide some advice, or just advise me I am clutching at straws. I will just note the problem in bullet points to make it easier to follow.

The problem/issue:

• New IOS update has rendered 000's of iPhone 4s models with no wi-fi because the option is now greyed out in the settings section
  • General concensus is that it is a hardware issue
  • It seems the latest update has revealed a fault/limitation of the wi-fi chip
  • Apple has provided a list of fixes to follow to attempt to resolve the issue
  • If all of these fail, the advice is basically tough luck, buy a new phone

All of the above information is what I have obtained from the internet regarding the problem.

My Situation:

• I purchased an iPhone 4s on a 2 year monthly contract with a reduced upfront payment for the handset directly from a T-Mobile shop.
  • I purchased the handset in April 2013
  • I am outside the 1 year manufacturer warranty.
  • The issue has affected my handset and none of the fixes suggested by Apple have resolved it.
  • I now have a phone that does not connect to wi-fi, only 3G
  • I not very happy

Although outside the 1 year manufacturer warranty, is it fair for me to expect my handset (that would cost between £3-400 if bought as a handset only) not to be crippled by what is basically an update installed on the direction of the manufacturer (Apple) in the name of giving my phone greater performance and capabilities. The fact that it seems to have awoken a fault with the chipset that was until the latest update, dormant, would suggest that the fault was present from the date of purchase, and was jolted into life by an update direct from Apple themselves.

Obviously in the 1st instance I will go to the shop, but by all accounts, they are likely to say "sorry, need to pay for a repair".

Any advice on how I should play it if that is the response?

Cheers...Nick

If the phone has been damaged by defective firmware then your remedy is under SOGA against the supplier of the phone regardless of the age of the phone

Send an email to [email protected]

They are well aware of this issue and will likely help. They refunded my brother in full for a replacement handset from apple.

Apple will deny the issue and refuse outright to do anything. Even when told of possible court action the manager said 'you won't win we are too big and powerful'.

I was willing to do the paperwork but brother just wanted a replacement phone.

From what I know of the issue it's to do with how ios7 runs needing more processing power so runs hotter causing a flaw in the chip for the Bluetooth and wifi lifting from the board.

Hope that helps

If the phone has been damaged by defective firmware then your remedy is under SOGA against the supplier of the phone regardless of the age of the phone

Problem here is t-mobile will direct the customer to Apple as they apparently have exclusive rights to repair the phones as they are not allowed too. Apple will not repair as it's outside the year.

As I've put above. Email CEO of ee/t-mobile/orange and point out their obligations under SOGA as you won't get far with apple.

Apple can be quite good, i dropped my 3gs a few years ago and smashed the screen

i took it to the Apple shop to get it fixed, they offered me a brand new one for £100

take it there and talk to them, im sure they will help you

Edited by colin11
add to

Hi there! Exactly the same thing happened to me over Christmas. I was one day outside of my year's warranty according to Carphone warehouse. Unfortunately, I had to go to the Apple shop and buy a new one and give them the old useless one back but they did give me a report to state that it was not able to be repaired. Apple advised that they would have replaced my phone if I had bought it through them under their 2 year warranty however Carphone Warehouse refused to do this. In the end, I threatened them with SOGA and a few months down the line, after they had spoken to Apple, they refunded the cost of my phone.

I have now decided that I am only going to buy Apple devices directly from them now because of the 2 year warranty that they provide for this sort of fault. When I checked with my provider, Vodafone, they would also have replaced it for free. I know SOGA does apply but it's hassle for us! Keep fighting though as you have a case!

Best of luck!

As I've put above. Email CEO of ee/t-mobile/orange and point out their obligations under SOGA as you won't get far with apple.

Cheers, I have emailed Olaf to outline my situation and have requested a resolution is reached.

I will let you know.

Cheers.......Nick

As much as I hate Apple, They can be very good with Aftercare

I would still try going to the store... (~Again if youve already been and explain it, take docs with you showing its Apples issues)

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

As much as I hate Apple, They can be very good with Aftercare

I would still try going to the store... (~Again if youve already been and explain it, take docs with you showing its Apples issues)

To be fair, if you have checked the internet for Apples response to this problem, you will see quite clearly that they don't give a toss about anyone's handset that is outside their 1 year warranty, and will care even less so about a handset that hasn't even been purchased from one of their own stores.

Well finally managed to visit the shop I bought it from today, and here is a selection of soundbites I endured. "We only provided the network access", "The only time I have seen this happen (once) the Apple fixes remedied the situation", "You need to contact Apple", "It is a software issue when installing the latest IOS". Despite advising that I had purchased the phone from them, and that I was not happy that a phone that was just 3 weeks out of the Manufacturer warranty was now useless and it was their, not Apples obligation to find a solution suitable to me, they were unwilling to help. In fact, I took along some helpful quotes from the SOGA, and the chap had never heard of it, and it was not apparent to him how it was relevant to my iPhone and it's "not being fit for purpose through no fault of the user". All in all, they didn't really seem to be aware of any problem, so I told them to look on the internet to enlighten themselves.

Oh, Olaf isn't replying either despite 2 emails to him :lol:

What should my next step be? Complain using EE's official complaints procedure?

Cheers...Nick

Remind them of SOGA. The retailer must sort it out. The fact he never heard of soga shows that you MUST make a full complaint to the retailer/apple and possibly trading standards.

Remember, the advisors are representatives of the company.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Remind them of SOGA. The retailer must sort it out.

There are only so many times I could have tried to put it to them that it was they, and NOT Apple who needed to provide the resolution. They point blank refused to acknowledge it was their issue now and not Apples as the 12 month warranty had expired. I did forget to say, I think the chap did say "we can send it to Apple for testing", would this be a course of action to agree to, bearing in mind that if none of the fixes suggested by Apple don't work then it can't be fixed anyway?

Cheers...Nick

Repair > replace > refund. If they have offered to repair it make sure it doesn't cost you anything. It is a kbown manufacturer issue so don't get caught out

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Reply I received from EE today. "Nothing to do with us govner"

Thank you for your email dated 8 May 2014 addressed to Olaf Swantee, Chief Executive, EE Ltd. Olaf has asked me to reply and keep him updated on my outcome. Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.

I regret EE is unable to assist with this issue as the phone is the responsibility of Apple. The warranty period is 12 months from date of purchase. Apple do not allow us to repair or replace their products and hold the sole rights for this. Any repairs or replacements would need to be referred to Apple, should they charge a fee this would also be payable if outside of the warranty period.

The software updates released are done by Apple and EE as a network have no control over this. EE provide the SIM Card and access to the mobile network. The Terms and Conditions of your agreement do advise that the phone does not form part of the agreement and is sourced outside of this agreement.

The Executive Office is empowered to deal with any queries directly addressed to Olaf Swantee, Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Directors. The Executive Office is the highest point of escalation within EE. Should you remain unhappy with this decision, the next step would be to seek independent advice via the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS). CISAS can be contacted using the below information:

CISAS

International Dispute Resolution Centre

70 Fleet Street,

London,

EC4Y 1EU

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 020 7520 3827

Whilst I understand this is not the outcome you were looking for, I trust I have clarified EE's position regarding this matter.

Yours sincerely

Victoria Hunt

Executive Office, EE

c.c. Olaf Swantee, Chief Executive Officer - EE Ltd

Theyre wrong. With soga, the retailer MUST sort it.