• Tweets

• The case against the US-based ride-hailing giant is being brought on behalf of over 10,800 drivers.View the full article
    • I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

EDF - Warrant of Execution Query

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 795 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have been absent from my property for a while.

I normally just pay £50 ad hoc on-line in to Edf account to ensure there is a regular payment

and the account is being serviced so no huge debt surprises.

Turns out they had sent a larger bill than normal and I owed £250,

followed by red letters and

then a Warrant of Execution to gain entry, remove the normal meter and fit a key meter.

Without knowing this I continued to pay ad hoc £50's

so that actually by the time of the allocated court hearing for the Warrant

- this week

- there was only £50 owing to Edf.

Of course - I am today paying this final £50 so there is no outstanding current debt to Edf.

Can they still obtain a valid Warrant to gain "legal" entry and change the meter ?

There was only £50 outstanding on the court date,

money was being paid regularly,

and the debt will have been cleared before anyone appears at the front door to change the meter.

Where do I stand on this, please ?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand about standing charges and ticking over - this is why I pay ad hoc £50 payments.

Guess they are kind of constant good will payments without bills to hand.

Normally a £250 bill - estimated - would not appear and would be dealt with immediately.

In this instance the bills and reminders were not received. And it got as far as letter advising a Warrant of Execution would be applied for.

I got the mail at the w/e and ploughed through opening.

As the potential court date was this week - and only £50 from the original 250 was outstanding (now paid in full) - I am hoping that the court date did not happen.

If it did - in my absence - and there is no debt and Edf advises they now have a Warrant, can I dispute its validity on the basis of debt paid in full before hearing ?

I have just read on one of the threads posted, that they should normally give notice of attending the site.

The property is too nice to have a key meter !!

• 1 month later...

EDF are notorious for being harsh, they recently said that I owed a huge bill, I didn't as was on direct fuel payments, I started to create waves and demanded that they relook at the entire account, they did result was they found £360+ in excess payments and now due this as a refund in the next few weeks.

This only came to light when I rechecked all my previous bills and saw that there was an issue, so get a formal complaint in and get your account fully checked, you maybe able to find you have the odd "lost" payment so therefore you don't owe money, if so ask for compensation, in my case it took me 4 years to actually notice this due to specific reasons but well worth all the waiting for them to finally sort it out.

Get this done asap and check with the enforcement team at EDF to see if they have the warrant already.

MM

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Good luck. EDF gained a warrant to access my house and fit a prepayment meter even though there was a request from Christians Against Poverty (CAP) to act on my behalf in relation to the debt and a payment plan was being set up. They claimed they had no response form CAP when the returned documnets for CAP to complete, an as such they applied for a warrant. CAP claim EDF never responsed to their emails at all. EDF are sneaky bar stewards!! Iva asked for proof of all documentaion sent, a month down the line I have received nothing, and EDF claim they are not at fault!!I have contacted the Ombudsman. Dont call EDF, ensure everything you do is either by mail or email so you have proof of contact. When I call they never call back when they say they will, and you cant prove the content of a conversation!!

It seems to be a common thing to play dumb and stall, my local council did the same in relation to my rent arrears, claimed no contact in the courts to obtain a warrant to evict me.

My daughter lives at the property with me. She was in her bedroom with her newborn baby when BCW Group forcefully entered the house. They didnt even knowck to see if anyone was home first. My daughter was petrified she thought we had burgulars and that her and her baby were about to come to harm.Obviously with having the baby, she is currently on benefits. I was on benefits at the time the whole process with CAP started, but I have now managed to find temporary work.

ok with the forced entry this has caused so much alarm and distress, especially since there is a new born baby involved. Speak to the priority team at EDF, inform them of the situation at home, they must abide by certain rules in regards to a supply to a household with a new born in it.

Secondly that this complaint should be on the official side. Don't take any rubbish from EDF, but you must speak to them so they are aware that there is a situation that is not right for them to force entry at such a time.

You must let anyone you have debt with that at this address that there is a vulnerable person living there. OK

Just because EDF had a warrant of entry there is protocol involved before they can cave in the door, like knocking on it to see if anyone is in, if there was then they could have answered the door, if things got out of hand the Police would have been there to prevent a breach of the peace.

You have a strong case for your complaint to EDF and should do so straight away

MM

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

It appears there is more to this story than is posted, perhaps if you are prepared to give the whole story you may get different/relevant advice on this matter so therefor helping you in the long run.

Bear in mind this is your choice whether you do so or not is entirely up to you, if you don't then the advice will be only on what you have posted thus far. You have stated other issues and therefore maybe connected in some way.

MM

Lol how long have you got........ here goes!I put in for a dual energy supplier switch sometime in 2011 with uSwitch. I was unsure as to whether I was making the right decision as I have prepayment meters and had been unable to get accurate readings form my meters. I called, cancelled my application, my cancellation was confirmed.Since the cancellation was made, my energy suppliers had changed without my knowledge and without my consent. My Gas supply from British Gas to EDF. The switch of Electricity from EON to British Gas never went ahead following my cancellation request. I only realised a few months later when I called British Gas regarding a gas leak and they advised me I was no longer a customer. uSwitch are now denying all knowledge of the cancelleation.I contacted EDF in July 2012 asked them to return me to my original supplier, no action was taken. They did not cknowledge receiot of my email, therefore I refused to pay them.In late 2013 after becoming unemployed I enlisted the services of Christians Against Poverty to help with my spiralling debt, being christians they advised that I should not ignore the EDF bill and it would be better to make payments whilst resurrecting the original complaint/ request to switch (pardon the pun).In April 2014 CAP contacted EDF on several occassions to which CAP have advised EDF failed to respond.EDF have claimed they did reply to CAP, and that CAP had not returend documentation as requested, therefore, as they had also had no contact from me, they applied for the warrant. I advised EDF I had appointed CAP to work on my behalf, and although they acknowledge receipt of correspondance from CAP they are not obliged to wait for a response.I have asked EDF for proof of all correspondance as I find it very difficult to beleive that a Christian organisation would lie, EDF can't even send me a simple copy of an email response, I have been waiting for a week just for that.I also, on the date the warrant was executed (10.04.2014), asked EDF to provide me copies of the warrant (BCW Group flashed a piece of paper in front of my daughters face claiming it to be a warrant, she is 20 but very naive, has no idea what a warrant looks like to verify one, but they didnt leave a copy).I also asked for all documentation confirming that I had agreed for the swiths in 2012 to take place, an address for the court where they applied for the warrant, and the infromation they provided the courts to obtain the warrant as I believe it to be false. They have provided me with nothing.So basically, whilst I thought CAP were dealing with the debt, EDF were claiming no contact and applied for and were awarded a warrantto enter my home forcefully and install a prepayment meter.

I hope this helps the OP

Lol how long have you got........ Here goes!

Put in for a dual energy supplier switch sometime in 2011 with uSwitch. I was unsure as to whether I was making the right decision as I have prepayment meters and had been unable to get accurate readings from my meters. I called, cancelled my application, my cancellation was confirmed. Since the cancellation was made, my energy suppliers had changed without my knowledge and without my consent.

Re: my gas supply from British Gas to EDF. The switch of Electricity from EON to British Gas never went ahead following my cancellation request. I only realised a few months later when I called British Gas regarding a gas leak and they advised me I was no longer a customer. USwitch are now denying all knowledge of the cancellation.

I contacted EDF in July 2012 asked them to return me to my original supplier, no action was taken. They did not acknowledge receipt of my email; therefore I refused to pay them. In late 2013 after becoming unemployed I enlisted the services of Christians Against Poverty to help with my spiralling debt, being Christians they advised that I should not ignore the EDF bill and it would be better to make payments whilst resurrecting the original complaint/ request to switch (pardon the pun).

In April 2014 CAP contacted EDF on several occasions to which CAP have advised EDF failed to respond.EDF have claimed they did reply to CAP, and that CAP had not returned documentation as requested, therefore, as they had also had no contact from me, they applied for the warrant. I advised EDF I had appointed CAP to work on my behalf, and although they acknowledge receipt of correspondence from CAP they are not obliged to wait for a response.

I have asked EDF for proof of all correspondence as I find it very difficult to believe that a Christian organisation would lie, EDF can't even send me a simple copy of an email response, I have been waiting for a week just for that. I also, on the date the warrant was executed (10.04.2014), asked EDF to provide me copies of the warrant (BCW Group flashed a piece of paper in front of my daughters face claiming it to be a warrant, she is 20 but very naive, has no idea what a warrant looks like to verify one, but they didn’t leave a copy).

I also asked for all documentation confirming that I had agreed for the switches in 2012 to take place, an address for the court where they applied for the warrant, and the information they provided the courts to obtain the warrant as I believe it to be false. They have provided me with nothing. So basically, whilst I thought CAP were dealing with the debt, EDF were claiming no contact and applied for and were awarded a warrant to enter my home forcefully and install a prepayment meter.

You should as advised contact EDF and ask them if they supply you as a dual fuel customer, if they are not then ask your previous supplier if they are supplying just your gas.

Ok you have stated you have spiralling debt, this can be help if you look for the correct forum and post up all the relevant information in regards to that particular debt.

Now please keep to your debt with your energy supply to this thread ok.

You should have been left a copy of the warrant for future reference write to EDF/BCW for a copy of this.

As you have had a key meter fitted you will find it easier to control the debt, they will recover it from you each and every time you top up, always keep at least a tenner on the key without putting it into the meter, as going into the red costs you more, plus with a tenner already on it you can just pop it in before the electricity turns off, then replace it the next day that you can, this way you will always have credit in an emergency without having to be charged more for it.

Rather than answer you post in one go it will be easier for all if done in stages ok

MM

Strange.... there were line feeds in....they disappear when I submit the reply :-/

At the end of a sentence just hit enter, maybe you are posting from a mobile?

MM

I have been in talks with EDF regarding this since February. They continue to feed me their prescripted garbage as an excuse as to why the prepayment meter was installed.I have no requirement for a prepayment meter, the paymnet plan I was offering would have cleared the outstanding debt within a few months. Their knee jerk reaction to apply for a warrant was done purely on the grounds that, mistakenly, like other companies I have dealt with, they assume that because you are using a debt management company that you will use Banruptcy as a get a clause to allow you to be free from and not have to repay the debt. This was never an option for me although CAP had discussed it with me. My local council did the same thing, applied for a warrant to evict me assuming that I would take the easy option by way of bankruptcy. My local council also claimed in court that CAP had made no contact to get what they wanted. Fortunately in this instance the judge threw the case out. Subsequently, I cleard my rent arrears within 2 weeks of returning back to work.Anyway, going back to the EDF situation, as I never agreed to be a customer of theirs in the first instance, EDF are totally in the wrong in this situation, and should have returned me back to my original supplier back in 2011 when I requested so. There would have been no debt if they had done as I had requested. They should never have gone to BG asking for money owed, when I had specifically stated that I did not authorise a switch from BG to EDF. I have asked the ombudsman to investigate now as it has been going on too long, EDF even though they have the written proof refuse to acknowledge my complaint as a valid one.

Edited by NoGym Bod

I have been in talks with EDF regarding this since February. They continue to feed me their prescripted garbage as an excuse as to why the prepayment meter was installed.I have no requirement for a prepayment meter, the paymnet plan I was offering would have cleared the outstanding debt within a few months. Their knee jerk reaction to apply for a warrant was done purely on the grounds that, mistakenly, like other companies I have dealt with, they assume that because you are using a debt management company that you will use Banruptcy as a get a clause to allow you to be free from and not have to repay the debt. This was never an option for me although CAP had discussed it with me. My local council did the same thing, applied for a warrant to evict me assuming that I would take the easy option by way of bankruptcy. My local council also claimed in court that CAP had made no contact to get what they wanted. Fortunately in this instance the judge threw the case out. Subsequently, I cleard my rent arrears within 2 weeks of returning back to work.Anyway, going back to the EDF situation, as I never agreed to be a customer of theirs in the first instance, EDF are totally in the wrong in this situation, and should have returned me back to my original supplier back in 2011 when I requested so. There would have been no debt if they had done as I had requested. They should never have gone to BG asking for money owed, when I had specifically stated that I did not authorise a switch from BG to EDF. I have asked the ombudsman to investigate now as it has been going on too long, EDF even though they have the written proof refuse to acknowledge my complaint as a valid one.

I think there is a problem with the PC im using re: line feeds! The original had line feeds and I have editted to put in line feeds..... they dont seem to work??.... sorry!!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Writing on behalf of a friend here:

Friend been overseas since 2008.

Flat pretty much empty most of the time in last 6 years,

just basic ticking over of normal electric supply in the flat.

I have been helping with post and maintenance whilst friend overseas.

Unfortunately, friend became sick and was un-contactable for almost a year.

In this year, EDF kept sending high estimates.

Due to my own personal reasons I missed going to the flat for many months.

In this period there were many red letters and threats.

When I finally read all his post I rang EDF and explained the situation:

that the flat was empty, that the estimates were grossly exaggerated,

that EDF needed to prevent a warrant of execution.

The alleged outstanding bills were only approximately £300.

But EDF would not speak to me as I am not the owner.

EDF ignored my pleas.

EDF then entered the exterior vaults and removed the meter.

And posted a key for a pre-paid meter !!

EDF continue to send bills and demands for the alleged outstanding bills and also for their charges to remove the meter.

SO:

Now I have a lawyer with POA for friend.

Can we write:

demand to know the accurate reading of the removed meter

demand compensation for the removal of the meter

demand the meter is re-instated

It does not seem correct that EDF can remove a meter for estimated readings, which must have been so much lower than their estimates.

Can anyone offer some advice here, please.

when was the last time THEY saw/read the meter?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I don't know when edf last read the meter.

The meter was outside in a basement vault - accessible by utility suppliers meter readers.

This is why I do not understand why their bills were only estimated

But this is why I want to know the exact last reading.

Do you think they would have recorded it? It seems they did not as all further bills still state the same estimated bill as the final reading.