Car hire company claiming I damaged car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hired a car for a week from a local dealer which I returned this morning.

Relatively brand new car which we both inspected for damage before I took it away, there was none.

I paid for the car with my debit card, £100 of which was a deposit.

I returned the car this morning and again we both inspected the car inside and out with no damage.

My £100 deposit was then refunded to my debit card, I still have the receipt.

Over 3 hours later I received a call from the hire company to say that they have notice a dent

while they were washing it which they want me to pay to be fixed!

Straight away I disputed this and pointed out we both inspected the car together and there was no damage.

His reply was it was only noticed when they washed the car and that he would email me the photographs.

What are my rights in this situation please?

There was definitely no damage on that car when I returned it and he flipping well knows it! :-x

Ka,

If you returned the vehicle and both you and the local dealer checked the vehicle upon return and there was no damage then they are trying it on for something which may have happened on their site.

Did you and the dealer sign anything upon return of the vehicle confirming there was no damage?.

C.G.

"By failing to prepare, you prepare to fail".

"Loose lips, sink ships".

get him to show you photos of the car BEFORE you had it.

else go try fleece someone else mate

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Make sure they don't still have access to your credit/debit card as they may try to process a charge through without you permission. I would suggest you ring the bank straight away and tell them you have damaged your card by inadvertantly sitting on it perhaps? That way, they will cancel your current card and issue a new one with a new number.

Make sure they don't still have access to your credit/debit card as they may try to process a charge through without you permission. I would suggest you ring the bank straight away and tell them you have damaged your card by inadvertently sitting on it perhaps? That way, they will cancel your current card and issue a new one with a new number.

Totally agree as we got caught once like this. As they have the debit card number on file, they just help themselves!

They are just trying it on... As it's local ask to the see the car again and take you own photo's. It's probably a pin-prick of a dent that was there before or they have caused. Minor dents should be covered as fair wear and tear otherwise you'd be crawling along to stop any stone chips! Just stop them taking money from your account first.

Something similar happened to my partner. Ask them to provide photographic evidence before and after, this is to confirm that the car had not been previously damaged and they failed to notice this in previous inspections.

Ask for the exact time the damage was noticed and evidence that the car was not damaged in the 3 hours between them taking the car from you and when they noticed the damage.

Did you sign anything when you returned the car? If not ask for a copy of the inspection report.

With my partner, we asked all of these questions and they dropped their claim very soon afterwards.

It seems more people are falling foul of hire companies advertising cheaper rates but if you look carefully they can sting you with added extras you just didn't bargain for. In my local rag today there was a column stating that companies were charging for fuel even though cars had been fully topped up before being returned with photographs, receipts and mileage records. 19 emails later the person was still no nearer a refund despite the car being full to the brim as they let it settle before adding a few drops more. They advise to always pay on a credit card, top up at the nearest fuel station before returning the vehicle, ignore any pressure and make sure every part of the car is checked and photographed and signed off before and after. Get your fuel receipt signed off and make sure they sign to say there is no damage to the vehicle. It's seems to getting a common problem so just stand your ground...

Just to update this situation. I received an invoice for £239 and an email stating they would be withdrawing the funds on Monday. I've emailed them back stating I have taken legal advice which I have since posting on this forum and informed the bank who are willing to raise an objection on my behalf to any unauthorised withdrawal. I will let you know how I get on. I've told them I am willing to take this to court if need be and I meant every word.

thanks for the update

keep us updated

that seems alot for a small dent

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: