How to buy a new car??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 109 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need a new car and wanted to buy private (if I can find anything) but the other post suggests paying by credit card.
I wont find a private seller who will take a credit card.
I will get an independent inspection/MOT done to be on the safe side.
How else should I consider paying to get some sort of protection?
Total dread this as hate cars but unfortunately need one and havent purchased one for 12 years.
Dont want to screw up completely so looking advise first, budget £5000. 

• Like 1

I don't think your consumer rights are as strong when buying privately. They actually have to lie about the vehicle for you to have any comeback.

I'd certainly insist that the car is mot'd as part of the deal. (You choose the tester).

You can also look at the MOT history for free online as part of your checks...

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

It's also a good guide to whether the mileage shown is correct.

Sorry cross posted with BF and his cautionary link...

Just be careful out there!

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

It's rare for private sellers to take a credit card. Do you have card processing facilities at home?

You should be buying from a reputable dealer and doing all your already mentioned checks to make an informed decision. Most will be very happy to take credit card.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

@Lolerz
In the main post on buying private it says this is preferred to a dealer as its much cheaper. 
No I dont run a business so have no card processing facilities at home. 

You should be looking to get a quality vehicle, not a cheap one, within your budget!

Your second line is exactly my point. A Private seller isn't a business, so why would they have card processing facilities either?

If you want to pay by CC, you'll have to go through a dealership. But with the extra protection this grants you through the Consumer Rights Act this is not a bad thing!

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread