interview under caution

kaka22
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3962 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi

In need of some help/advise . I recieved a letter this morning asking my partner to attend an Interview under caution regarding a failure to notify a change in our household . It doesnt elabirate thats all it says .... . I have contacted housing benefit to check the details they hold on us are correct , which they are so still none the wiser .

The only thing we can think of is my partner was in a car accident at the end of feb and the insurance paid out just over £5000 to replace the car . Not sure if this would have any affect ....also I have been doing flower arrangements for friends and family at cost (I have not gained) but have had them on a facebook page building a portfoilio for when i do go back to work when my youngest starts nursery . If it is this any advise on how I prove I have not made any income would be appreciated and how best to get prepared for the interview. In fact any advise would be greatfully recieved , I am so worried !!

Is this with DWP? The 5k is none of their business. It's possibly the facebook page. Although I would have thought something else would trigger them having a nose first. Apart from Bank statements I expect it wont be easy to prove you haven't been paid, if there is a facebook page advertising? Was there ever any price list on there etc? The IUC isn't always terrible. It's possibly not connected to any of those things & will be straightened out on the day. A solicitor would be able to find out on the day what the reason is, before you even set foot in the office, but it's not easy to find a benefit solicitor on legal aid. Not too sure what they would charge to go along for that. And it may end up a waste of money. Hopefully you'll have an ok woman doing the interview like I had..

The DWP and others are accessing social media looking for data on all manner of things that might suggest that a claimant is earning or has had 'windfall' that would take savings over the prescribed limit.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Many thanks for the quick replys . The interview is with the council not DWP ...yes there are some prices but as i say they are cost price although i have not stated this on the page . I do have bank statements with the amounts paid and in total it comes to around £60 and have the reciepts of the things i bought to make them and to be honest I was left out of pocket !! if it is this cant believe it for the grand sum of £60 :( the other thing is my father in law is of no fixed abode and has his mail delivered to my address ..could this be an issue ???

just to add the £60 was to cover the costs not for my gain

Yes another person ''supposedly' in residence could be a problem.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Many thanks for the quick reply s . The interview is with the council not DWP ...yes there are some prices but as i say they are cost price although i have not stated this on the page . I do have bank statements with the amounts paid and in total it comes to around £60 and have the receipts of the things I bought to make them and to be honest I was left out of pocket !! if it is this cant believe it for the grand sum of £60 :sad: the other thing is my father in law is of no fixed abode and has his mail delivered to my address ..could this be an issue ???

Yes another person ''supposedly' in residence could be a problem.

even though he doesn't live here he just uses it as a c/o address for his mail ??

Who else lives with you !

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

me , my partner and our 3 children ...My father in law is staying with various friends at the moment so doesnt have a regular address to have his mail sent ...didnt think it would be a problem letting him send it here as we see him at least once a week so just pass it on to him ..... im sooooo worried that they will stop the housing benefit and we will end up homeless as trying to get work at the moment is a nightmare my partner is applying for everything and there is just nothing out there he worked for 13 yrs and was made redundent last year its been a nightmare especially not knowing how the benefit agencies work ... we have phoned the council to try to find out what the issue is but wont tell us anything !! how do you defend yourself if you dont know what you are defending ??

You take along a legal representative ideally. If you can't get one, go along and say nothing which is your right to do so. Just listen to what they say and come away. Say you will meet again once you have taken legal advice if necessary. However if the problem is minor you could explain it easily instead.

Hi , My partner has been to the interview today . It is because my partners dad is having his mail sent to our address ...now we need to prove he doesnt live here he told us we need a letter from the various places he stays at which is going to be a nightmare as he is all over the place at the minuite....hope this will be enough and put an end to it !!

Sounds rather extreme to me, perhaps others may have suggestions.

My partner told them to come and have a look there are none of his belongings here but they wont do that . He said we have 2 weeks to prove he is not living here....absolute nightmare he only has his pension letter & bank acc letters sent here as he is paroniod about identity theft ..just worried now that the various friends he has been staying with will not want to write a letter as they might end up with an interview under caution !!! what a mess !! didnt think it would be a problem its only a few letters but i do understand that they think there is an extra income coming in.which would be wrong so suppose its right that they investigate there is alot of benefit cheats out there !!! its just a confusing and scary experience .

Is your Father in Law claiming any benefits?

It shouldnt be down to you to prove the addresses of your father in law. I suggest you ask your father in law to contact them himself stating that he only uses your address for his mail as it is a secure address.

Unfortunately when on benefits they want to know any changes to your circumstances, especially if it is going to make a difference to how much your income is going to be affected. They may look to see if your Father in law is paying you to have his mail delivered to your home, or whether he has stayed there.

I would be inclined to let DWP know with regards to your flower arranging, it may not make a difference but at least they have been made aware of it for future reference. They may also try and help you with funding to get it up and running. Its worth checking it out.

I would say to your father in law that he should protect his friends and family by not using their address for his mail if they are claiming any means tested benefits. A PO box is an option if he does not have another address he feels he can use and he can collect his mail from the PO box, it costs £4.70 per week currently to have a PO box.

Many thanks for the quick replys . The interview is with the council not DWP ...yes there are some prices but as i say they are cost price although i have not stated this on the page . I do have bank statements with the amounts paid and in total it comes to around £60 and have the reciepts of the things i bought to make them and to be honest I was left out of pocket !! if it is this cant believe it for the grand sum of £60 :( the other thing is my father in law is of no fixed abode and has his mail delivered to my address ..could this be an issue ???

Please be careful! Once they suspect you of something they might start digging around for other stuff. I had an IUC for something different back in March but I had a facebook page were I sold digital media at cost price ie no profit at all for £1.50 yes £1.50!! and they came down on me like a ton of bricks for it. That element went no further because there was no funds going into my bank account for it because it was all done online obviously and I wasn't making anything from it but like seanamarts said if you really want to make a go of it let them know asap...I'm pretty sure there is something in place just now to help people into self employment or clean it up and delete your facebook page etc. I had actually stopped doing mine way before my IUC took place so I'm not sure if that made a difference but I just saw it as a hobby. There are no hobbies that are free these days unfortunately :(