petrol instead of diesel

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I did a really stupid thing today, i put petrol by mistake in a diesel car hired from enterprise.

I was surprised after filling up i continued to drive for 70 miles, pulled over for a coffee and the car failed to start after i had finished

AA towed me to a local ford garage where they took the car, i was taken to the nearest enterprise and given another vehicle.

I realize petrol in diesel is not to bad compared to diesel in petrol. No doubt all that the ford main dealer will do is just pump out the fuel and replace with diesel

Anybody got any idea on what this is going to cost me, An hours labour at least and a gallon of fuel no doubt

I did it a year ago and it cost £130 to drain tank and dispose of spoiled fuel. Then of course I had to re-fill at around £80. I hadn't even left the forecourt. Unfortunately it may cost you a LOT more if your engine is damaged.

well ive been told that as long asd you do not turn the ignition on you can get away with draining the fuel the problems start when you turn the ignition on . I hate to say it you might have a very expensive bill

Not sure what this is doing in the legal forum...thread moved to the appropriate forum.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Took the replacement hire car back to enterprise this morning

I was told that as i had paid the extra insurance premium for 2 days (20.00) on top of the normal cost, my liability will be only £100 instead of £600 if applicable

i am a bit happier now

Glad i purchased that extra insurance now

• 1 month later...

ff5a1f6d-db70-44aa-97d3-7883ca574004_zps1b5ec7f3.jpg

It seems my transgression for putting petrol instead of diesel has come back to haunt me.

It looks like they are going to charge me the full replacement cost of the vehicle after they have done the repairs

When i took out the extended damage waiver insurance, i was told that if anything happened to the vehicle, i would not be held liable. Now buried in the small print is an exemption saying the wrong fuel is an exemption to the extended insurance. That has to be surly an unfair term?

i need some serious suggestions now please people

It looks like they are going to charge me the full replacement cost of the vehicle after they have done the repairs

The letter says "you are obliged to pay us the fair market value of our vehicle". That, to me, doesn't say "full replacement cost", it says you must buy the vehicle off them.

Then they mention repairing the vehicle, surely they can either charge you one or the other, but not both. Either charge you for the repairs to make the vehicle good, or you buy them another vehicle, and the old vehicle becomes yours.

Also, if you were categorically told "if anything happened to the vehicle, i would not be held liable", without mention of any exemptions in the T&Cs, and you were also told you wouldn't be held liable for more than £100 when you returned the vehicle because you purchased the extra insurance, I would argue that it is an unfair term, and it wasn't brought to your attention on 2 occasions.

Just a thought on this

If i did not take out the extended insurance, the amount to pay in any accident or damage claim would be the first £600 of any claim. The issue of the wrong fuel get out clause is in the extended insurance. So logically i should only be hit with £600 as the fuel clause on relates to the extended insurance waiver. The wrong fuel clause is no ware to be seen in the normal, not extended insurance waiver T&C

They're just pointing out what they'd expect for the car if it's a total loss and what their terms and conditions allow for it. As the car isn't a total loss, they'll invoice for the cost of repair, however this isn't going to be cheap.

The car has a common rail injection system which uses very high fuel pressures, the pump and injectors are high precision components which rely on lubrication by the fuel. So to fix the car properly (thus keeping it's manufacturers warranty) it would need a new pump, injectors, fuel filter. fuel lines and possibly a fuel tank, as the fuel returned to the tank could contain metal shards from the fuel pump, this isn't going to be cheap.

well they are going to have problems, i will fight any court claim in that i was told that paying for this extra insurance would cover any damage to the vehicle, i was not told of this fuel policy

plus this fuel policy only mentions the extra insurance, the normal insurance excess is £600, so that will be the max expected to pay

also i am on ESA at the moment through a disability, they can have it back, at a £1.00 a week if they do get judgement against me

Edited by squaddie

Have you checked the scope of any Home Insurance Personal Liability Insurance or any legal cover provided by that ? This would be a Home Contents policy. They often exclude Motor vehicle related liability type situations, but maybe worth checking, if you have Insurance.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

IMHO this comes under the category of negligence and a normal insurance policy will not cover that! unless it specifically included ( and some do ).

It is not an accident, unforseen occurance ( although it should be as lots of people do it ) or third party act.

So therefore you may be liable for all costs to put the car right.

Having said above, I would stick with, that is what you paid the extra insurance for and your liability should be limited to that.

065c88bf-e9de-4d6d-aa6c-230cd0cc8852_zps39b2e330.jpg

Well then

Enterprise rent a car has just sent me the invoice, total damage to the car was two grand. they state as i had the extra insurance, my liability will be only £100 in full and final settlement:whoo:

CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE:-)

I do not very often give praises to companies on this forum, but Enterprise, you have exceeded my expectations in customer service and is something to be proud off, I salute you :-D