Benefit Fraud

Agrigor
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4129 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Hope someone can give me some advice. I am age 19 Ive been claiming income support since 16 when I moved out, I also claimed housing benefit.In about November 2011 I got a job but I didnt inform the jobcentre and when I received a form from the job centre in march I put I wasnt working by accident but I was working, I had exams and was very stressed and busy and didnt even read the questions properly on the form. I stopped receiving benefits because I started uni. But from November 2011 till September 2012 I was receiving benefits and working. I didnt know that you had to inform them and thought that they would get in touch with me if I wasn't allowed to work and receive benefits (obviously I was very wrong). I had the interview today and explained that I didnt know the rules and apologized for putting the wrong answer in the form. But I am absolutely petrified in case I have to go to court.

Edited by Agrigor

i think you need to rewrite your post

confused with the dates

I was receiving benefits and working from November 2011 till September 2012. But I was also in full time education so it was only a part time job.

No they haven't came up with a decision yet, so it could either be a prosecution, caution and administrative penalty. Yeah I am still a student and still have a part time job. Im more than happy to repay the money I'm annoyed with myself for not taking my time to do the form properly but I rushed it through and when it asked if I was working I ticked no, so I know it means I've mislead them but I didnt do it on purpose, I was just careless. But I actually didnt know if you could or couldnt work while receiving income support and thought that if it wasnt allowed they would contact me as soon as I started working. And Ive explained all that during the interview today and said Im sorry and that I am happy to repay all the money. Because I never wanted to be on benefits in the first place it was just because of my circumstances I had to be. So they have all that recorded on the tape which I guessed will be used to make the decision, Im just sooo scared in case their decision will be prosecution.

Were you interviewed under caution?

Who interviewed you?

DWP or Council or both?

How many hours a week were you working?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Were you interviewed under caution?

Who interviewed you?

DWP or Council or both?

How many hours a week were you working?

Yeah I was interviewed under caution, and it was DWP who interviewed me, and I was only working 16 hours a week, less during exams, and more during holidays

okay, if you were working 16 hours a week, then it is highly likely that your earnings would have exceeded the level at which you would have been entitled to Income Support

you may however have retained entitlement to Housing Benefit

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

16 hours is the threshold at which income support is stopped, so all the time you worked those hours, you weren't entitled to income support. If you had worked up to 15 hours you can keep the 1st £20.

I suspect from your age and the HB claim that you are living on your own? Would you consider yourself vulnerable? I am only asking this as you could consider a letter from your school/ college ( the one you attended for A- levels) and ask them to provide you with a letter of support, re living alone, and studying with no support/network x

scotgal 

being honest with you, it is unlikely that they will believe it was an accident

do you recall how much your average wage was? did the investigators have this information?

Im happy to repay the money but I am more worried if I'd have to go to court. I know it will take them a few months to decide but I am soo worried I am only 19 and doing a degree I never wanted to stay on benefits and I mentioned that during the interview. I am just worried sick.

scotgal68

i thought it was only first £5 you could keep as a single person (assuming no disabilities/carer responsibility)

16 hours is the threshold at which income support is stopped, so all the time you worked those hours, you weren't entitled to income support. If you had worked up to 15 hours you can keep the 1st £20.

I suspect from your age and the HB claim that you are living on your own? Would you consider yourself vulnerable? I am only asking this as you could consider a letter from your school/ college ( the one you attended for A- levels) and ask them to provide you with a letter of support, re living alone, and studying with no support/network x

I never told anyone I was claiming benefits, Im too ashamed I even had to, and I would like to keep it that way

being honest with you, it is unlikely that they will believe it was an accident

do you recall how much your average wage was? did the investigators have this information?

I was paid £5 and yeah they did have the information about how much I was paid and how much benefits I received

I think you will just have to await their decision then, hopefully they'll treat you with a degree of leniency given your age etc.

Good Luck x

Hope so, I was just wondering if anyone knows how long it will take for them to decide?

Hope so, I was just wondering if anyone knows how long it will take for them to decide?

impossible to tell, it can be anything from weeks to months, it is unlikely to be a fast process

impossible to tell, it can be anything from weeks to months, it is unlikely to be a fast process

Also I was wondering how high are the chances that it will come down to prosecution and if it does come down to that, does it mean ill go to jail :/

Agricor - read this, it's a bit encouraging, although I don't know how much the overpayment actually is

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/sanction-policy.pdf

Thank you, I've actually went through my bank statements and calculated that from November 2011 till September 2012 I was paid £1729.71 that's from my job