How did FIRE/Cabot get my email address?

Guest ilovemycat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4196 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest ilovemycat

Hello, all.

Can anyone shed light on this for me?

Today I received an email to my personal email address from FIRE debt recovery.

They are, as ever, chasing me for a debt which I dispute - but that's not what bothers me.

What I want to know is how and/or from whom they got my email address?

I don't use any networking sites and there's no indication of my name (which anyway is almost as common as John Smith) in my email address.

Over a long period of time I've had lots of phonecalls and letters from fire/cabot/whoever - all blowing hot air and b/s - but never any contact via email before today.

And I've certainly never emailed them!

These days I bin all letters unanswered and their phone numbers are auto-barred so I never take their calls or speak to any of their agents.

So I can't work out how they've suddenly got my e address.

What's additionally odd about this message is that it seems to be in the form of a paper letter that's been scanned and then sent via email subsequently.

I don't really know what to make of those details that tell you about an email's "pathways" etc,

but it looks like this one came via Germany or maybe Poland.

Maila1.kundcenter.com is an address that shows up in there.

Does that mean anything to anyone?

Anyway,

amongst other things,

I'm worried now about the overall safety of my email address and whether I should scrap it altogether - though it'd be incredibly inconvenient.

I'd really appreciate some advice.

Many thanks ILMC

not given it to a mobile phone company or an insurance company

and they've got it from you CRA file?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Guest ilovemycat

dx

Nope - nothing like that I can think of

have you ever gotten a cra report?

until you look you wont know

see below

noddle is free.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Guest ilovemycat
have you ever gotten a cra report?

until you look you wont know

see below

noddle is free.

dx

No, I've not had one in over 20 yrs. I'll get on that now. Thank you.

dx

Comparison sites are a well known harvester of information.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I have been told but have not confirmed that e-mail addresses are harvested by comparison sites and similar organisations and then are made available for a fee.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Do you do any online shopping?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Guest ilovemycat
If it's the same one you are using on this site, there is no way that was guessed, they must have traced you through something you use or have entered your email address into.

It's actually not the one I'm using on this site - but it's one that's equally random/irrelevant/unconnected to my name and/or personal details of any kind. So what you say still applies. There's no way an email address like that one could've been guessed/worked out logically from the info they already had on me. So if, as you say, they got hold of it via a site I'd previously entered my email address into - then does that mean someone I do business with has sold/given my info out?

Probably data capture advertising is one way, last year Kellogs had a massive promotion on a new product where a bag was delivered day one with e-mail address

to cotact for a code that had to be entered on the bag which was left outside the following day the correct code on the bag the household recieved a commercial size pack of the cereal the take up was massive nationwide, many of these promotion are carried out.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Guest ilovemycat
Probably data capture advertising is one way, last year Kellogs had a massive promotion on a new product where a bag was delivered day one with e-mail address

to cotact for a code that had to be entered on the bag which was left outside the following day the correct code on the bag the household recieved a commercial size pack of the cereal the take up was massive nationwide, many of these promotion are carried out.

I really would like it to be something relatively innocent like that, Brigadier. But I haven't responded to promos, etc, in that 'impulse click' kind of way for quite a few years - precisely because I'm wary of giving out my details/contact info too freely. Obviously I can't claim to be able to remember every registration I've ever made with that email address, but I tend to keep it to a minimum. I don't enter comps or join networks like Face/Twit/etc, and I don't do surveys. I don't sign up for much really - on account of being an antisocial grinch, I suppose. However what I DO do quite a bit of is online shopping. Mostly I shop through Amazon (which I imagine to be safer..?), but not exclusively. And a "leaky" shopping site is presumably dodgier than most, right? - coz they have a certain amount of your financial info, etc? Jeez, I'm scaring the sh*t out of myself!

You have a broadband suppiier and other internet access point, there are sites where you can enter an IP address and track the user, any one any where may have pivked up your e=mail address, may be ask how you were traced

not with BT are you?

dx

and they

Guest ilovemycat
You have a broadband suppiier and other internet access point, there are sites where you can enter an IP address and track the user, any one any where may have pivked up your e=mail address, may be ask how you were traced

Sorry, Brigadier - I don't really understand. My computer/Internet nous is quite limited. Are you saying I should track the cabot/FIRE email and find out who the original sender was? Because I'd certainly like to - I'm not even convinced it genuinely came from them. It just looks wrong somehow. I was thinking of getting Email Tracker Pro. Any thoughts?

Guest ilovemycat
not with BT are you?

dx

Hi, dx. No, BT aren't my ISP. They provide my landline service and I do get the occasional email from them. I got my report from Noddle, btw. It didn't show much info on me at all - in fact far less than I know for sure is out there. It certainly didn't list any email addresses as being available to see publicly. Cabot have registered themselves as creditors so I've taken issue with that. Thanks for the Noddle suggestion.

then its BT i bet you are using that email with them.

thats what happened to me.

little tick box you forgot.

def BT.

dont waste money on traccker pro

just look at the header info.

whata your email prog? outlook?

dx

and they

Hi

Be aware that Hotmail.com and .co.uk and Live.com sell bulk email addresses along with the IP address of the owner (many people just tick the "read T&C's" without first reading them). Once you have the IP address you can obtain whatever info you require with ease. Excite.co.uk is owned by a huge catalogue company and boltblue.com along with two or three other sites that I used to use but cant remember

Hi

Be aware that Hotmail.com and .co.uk and Live.com sell bulk email addresses along with the IP address of the owner (many people just tick the "read T&C's" without first reading them). Once you have the IP address you can obtain whatever info you require with ease. Excite.co.uk is owned by a huge catalogue company and boltblue.com along with two or three other sites that I used to use but cant remember

Hi,

I just read that and now im curious because I have a hotmail email. Are you saying that others can see what im doing on the internet?

i had an email ad the never got spam

i moved and signed up for BT broadband

that email has been spammed for the last three years

looking at all the mail it had

it had no spam till i used it to sign up on BT broadband in 2008.

dx

and they

Hi,

I just read that and now im curious because I have a hotmail email. Are you saying that others can see what im doing on the internet?

No, what I am saying is that 80% of email sites sell your email address and IP address. They will look for the IP address associated with any on line transactions and match that to the email. Having spoken to an IT expert they say that the matching is 75% correct. The email providers dare not give names and addresses though

As for seeing what you are doing your ISP do that all the time

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ilovemycat

Hello,

my ancient laptop went temporarily wrong. I didn't mean to be rude.

Obviously the thread's long dead and it doesn't need me to bury it

- but I did just want to say a belated thanks to everyone who took the time to answer.

I guess I'll never find out by what exact route my email address got into 'bot hands,

but just the fact that it did at all has given me a timely wake-up nudge.

And that's no bad thing.

My considered opinion now vis-a-vis online exchange ..... Trust no one - at all! (present company excepted)

Again - many thanks. ILMC

Edited by dx100uk
swearing and inappropriate language sections removed - dx

all of the comparison sites sell on data, as does gmail etc. The problem is that the people who buy the info arent too bothered who they sell it on to or whether it is legal for them to do so. A lot of the ambulance chasers get their into that way. Anyway, you cam put a block on the incoming mail so you dont have to be worried by it. If you want a hassle free free email provider use rediff.com. based in India so should make interesting lookup for the DCA's if they try