style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3938 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Depends on why he was sacked. If for an isolated incident then this is probably excessive, however if it is under a totting up system and the employee was on a final warning for other matters then that is one of the perils of disobedience. however it would also depend very much on the mitigation for not working the stocktake.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sidewinder

Trouble is both of them went in meeting saying they refused to do overtime at the flat rate and thats what contract says.

The one who has been sacked has less than 12 months service and as far as I am aware this is 1st offence for both of them.

Been told 5 people been sacked and loads of written warnings been given out.

Thanks for your input think they will have to go with warning decided before hearing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hello again

I was at work today minding my own business when another employee mentioned some tubs that were not labelled I told him that I would label them when I had decided what components were going in them at which point he decided to start kicking off saying the team leader had told me to label them.

I told him in firm manner that I will tell him the same as told the team leader they will be labelled when I know wats going in them. He carried on in an agressive manner raising his voice saying I should have labelled them. At that point I told him he was not in charge of me and to mind his own business to bring the incident to an end he then swore at me.

I then went and found my line manager and told him Im not having people mouthing off at me, and he said he would have a word with team leader. This all occurred around 10am, I have not been approached as to what is going to be done about this and wonder what should do now.

Do I just wait or go to a more senior manager. I am fuming and felt like stabbing him with my scissors but manager not to do it.

Sue Bear:mad2:

Your manager has said she will talk to the team leader. I would leave her/him to take the chance to talk to the team leader and wait till they come back to you with a reply of what they have done.

If they fail to act to your concerns then I would suggest a formal grievance using the companies grievance policy and put it in writing that you are not prepared to accept being sworn at and spoken to in a manner that is demeaning.

With regards to who is the boss, who isnt etc, the other member of staff could well have been told to ensure the containers were labelled, and if not given instructions to ask you to perform the duty. Thats not to say they have a right to speak to you in that way, but their actions could well have been well intended and following the instructions given to him.

This sounds more like a case of someone being asked to make sure you do your job and they have gone about it in a heavy handed manner.

You have done the right thing by bringing it to the attention of a manager, and I am sure they will take whatever action is needed to make sure your worries are allayed

Hi and thx for your reply I had already spoke to the team leader about said tubs yesterday, He did not say to me so and so told me to tell you and his attutidue from the begining of the conversation was aggressive.

Also i had asked him a question about some work yesterday and he replied hes not paid to babysit.

I am new to this section but have worked there for nearly 4 years with a break of 4 months redundancy in march 09. The other employee has less than 6 months service and dont think he likes me working on there as redundancies are on the horizon .

Hi Suziebear

Unfortunately, we all, at sometime in our working life, will likely have people in work who we don't get along with and it's a difficult siuation as we are often stuck with them most of the day! The answer is usually to always stay the professional one, but protect yourself as well. If it escalates at some future stage to a complete fall out or an incident whereby managers have to intervene, you need to be the one who has always been reasonable and professional throughout. If you don't want to make any complaint about this particular incident, it's still really important to note it all down, times, dates, who said what, who was involved etc and keep it to yourself for now and the same goes for anything else that happens involving this person. It may be so valuable at a later date. If you do want to take today's or any future event further, be specific in your complaint. It's very difficult to ask a manager to deal with somebody's general 'attitude', but if you have a specific misconduct, like being sworn at or a personal comment etc, it's much more tangible for a manager to sort. If you see the same attitude from this person again, just politely ask they don't speak to you and if they have a message from a TL or manager, tell them that you will go and seek the message from them directly so they have no need to speak to you further. Don't react in a way that will entertain them as they'll just come back to wind you up more. Hope this helps.

thx for ur reply I am supose to be on a phased return to work after another incident back in march where i went through the formal channels and ended up off sick for 5 months i am just refusing to put up with any bad behavior off any other employee full stop.

I am gonna speak to my line manager again monday and if he refuses to act will speak with other manager who dealt with me last time.

My friend made a comment about employing thick people to noone in particular and someone complained and she got a disciplinary which ended with her getting a written warning so dont see why this individual should not recieve the same

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I put in a grievance with my employer which was upheld earlier this year. The base of which was an individuals performance would not be discussed in an open meeting. Now a some employees have been told that if their performance does not improve a name and shame type meeting will be held every day at the morning meeting. Luckily Im no longer included as have moved to a different area.:-x

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I was called into the office today about my time keeping I went back to work on the 1st of August after being off sick with work related anxirty for 5 months.

I had one anxiety related day off after 2 weeks holiday couldnt sleep even with medication I take feeling physically sick, that was 19th of Sept.

Car broke down on 19th October this was booked as a holiday day.

Then was kept awake all night on the 28th of November due to coughting all night from around 230am so had the 29th and 30th of November off as kept coughing all the time.

Unfortunatley the Tuesday of last week started to come down with a cold and felt terrible most of the week, by friday was feeling really rough and couldnt face going into work had a tempature and was shivering and sneezing.

Was called into the office today to fill in the return to work form for the last 2 times I was off. After this I was told line manager not happy with my level of time keeping as I had also been late twice according to the clocking in machine, I remember being late once in the last month due to car being frozen when i went to go out. Basically managment were not happy that I seemed to have a day off every month for the last 4 months.

The team leader had a hand written sheet which they asked me to sign saying if my time keeping did not improve I would be called to a disciplinary meeting which could result in disciplinary action.

In March 2011 I had an incident with another manager where I was bullied and was not going to return after putting in a grievance which was upheld I was moved to another cell with different duties and a different manager, Around 3 weeks ago I was moved back to the cell I was working on in March doing a different job with the previous manager I had and am still only doing reduced hours and as far as I am aware still covered by my med3 which my gp said covered me till I returned to full time work.

I just wanted to know if I should of been given an informal meeting as they are aware of the anxiety I have which was caused by them and should i have had to sign a pre written statement about attendance before manager had even seen my return to work form !!!!

Sorry its a bit long thanks in advance for any help .

Sue bear

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I went back to work on reduced hours as an adjustment to returning to work. We have had a letter to day saying we must all work 48hrs for one week to cover the stock taking does anyone know where I stand with my hours reduced.

Thx in advance .

Suebear x

Who agreed your return to work hours and why did you return on reduced hours? Did you get the agreement in writing?

it may be that a quick chat with your HR person can sort this out, that may have been a standard email/letter sent to everyone regardless of their circumstances.

Hi thx for reply a manager persuaded me to go back on reduced hours after a fall out with another manager which made me ill I have an email with the offer of reduced hours.

I think I can get away with doing my normal hours during the week but they are saying everyone has to do the saturday morning and just wondered what my options are to give a valid reason to not to do it which will take me upto 36hrs my usual is 29 a week which I am more than happy with.

Suebear x

• 1 month later...

hi guys need to put a grievance in concerning the gangways and fire exit being blocked have asked 5 times for stuff to be moved over the last two weeks it gets moved for a couple of days then more work appears in its place. thx for any replies x

Agreed. Hit them with a formal grievance citing clear and repeated breaches of the Order, and also the cover-all Section 2(1) of the Health & Safety At Work Act 1974 - Failure to ensure the safety of employees, and Regulation 12(3) of the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 - failing to keep the floor free from obstructions. State that you have previously expressed concern that your safety is being put at risk and that no measures have been taken to rectify the situation. Should the obstructions not be cleared and the walkways and exits kept clear, then you will feel compelled to escalate the matter further.

Take photos of the obstructions on a mobile phone and keep a note of whom you reported this to previously - you wouldn't want to be labelled a troublemaker without evidence. Airing genuine concerns affords you legal protection should the employer choose to be difficult!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

• 3 weeks later...

best thing to do is go poundshop buy nastiest looking thing and say we had a collection and got you this.......... ohhh and then duck

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)