• Tweets

• Alan Bates is in the Guardian today. Our Post Office victory is being twisted by those who don’t want to see its like again | Alan Bates | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Litigation funders didn’t ‘exploit’ subpostmasters, they helped us. Those who attack them have corporate interests at heart, says former subpostmaster...  
    • Appreciate your response BankFodder. I am aware that the Consumer Rights Act does not apply in my case as I operate a business and, instead, should rely on the Supply of Goods and Services Act and Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977. I was a little unsure as, when I read the judgement of Hashim Farooq v EVRi Parcelnet, July 2023 I presumed that,  as Farooq had supplied laptops through Amazon,  the Consumer Rights Act would not apply but the judge refers to it in Section 22 as to why the claimant should be given judgment. Have I read this correctly? The reason for not offering full reimbursement was because I did not take out insurance for the full value.  In regards to correspondence from my customer,  I have emails from her in my timeline stating that she was waiting all week and that no one attempted delivery.  I have no doubt that she will be willing to corroborate the events with a written statement.
    • When you post information here you will have to post it in single file multipage PDF format. Follow the upload link. However, it would be more helpful if you could simply answer the questions that we have put to you and we can deal with paperwork afterwards if we think we need it.  
    • I was trying to post all the paperwork that I have, namely facebook ad, messages between the seller and my son etc . But I'm getting the message that the files are to large. 
    • First of all please can you tell us the name of the seller, something about the van – age/year, mileage, price paid. How far away is the seller from where your son lives? Who do you take it to for this inspection? Are they prepared to give you a written list of the things that they found? This is very important and you may well have to get an independent inspection from somebody such as the AA. This will cost you some kind of feedback we expect that we will be able to help you get it back. I would say that if you have to bring a court claim – which is likely – then your chances of success are better than 95% but the difficulty might be enforcing the judgement against the seller. We will have to no more in order to give you better advice. Does it have an MOT? What is the date of it and who gave it the MOT? I suggest that you start taking pictures of all of the defects that you can find.   Also I am going to say that I believe that you came over from Facebook where you were already informed that we would need at least all of the information which I have requested above. It will save a lot of time and effort for everybody if you can simply come up with the things that we ask without too much delay
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

esa limit to 1 year

billyt
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4945 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

From what I understood, after 1 year on contribution based ESA, you will have to transfer to means tested ESA if you are eligible.

I am one of the people who will be adversely affected by this, and my immediate reaction was that it isn't at all fair. However on further reflection, it is fairer than the existing system. At the moment, anyone who has paid sufficient contributions could in theory get ESA for life at the same rate as everyone else, regardless of the family's circumstances. So person A who's partner works full time and earns £100K gets the same amount as person B who is a single parent with no other income. Under the new system, after 12 months all claimants will only get benefit if their income is low enough to justify it.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Have to say reallymadwoman I agree with your take basically on this, though it is high time the capital and income limits for means testing were uprated, as they haven't been for about ten years, I think. There is already a lot of disinformation being put around about this. Some people who qualify because of low income or capital (or both) are worried they will be left penniless after a year. This is not the case, as I understand it, if you still qualify on sickness/disability and means grounds. Those who will be hit are the people who have accumulated savings and have just become sick, as after a year they will not qualify until their savings have reduced to the relevant level - £16K for a single person but with £1 deducted for every £250 over £6K. Oh, and if you try to get rid of your capital before the year's up, it won't work unless there are very good reasons e.g. paying off a debt to reduce interest payments. They will simply deem you to have disposed of capital unjustifiably and it will be taken into account anyway!

Beware - even paying off debts can be seen as 'deprivation of capital'.

In my case I not only have capital way above the means tested limits, I also have a partner in well paid full time employment. This change has helped me make one decision though. When the time comes, I won't be applying to transfer to ESA since even if it was awarded I would only get it for a year and it really isn't worth the hassle. The chances are I'll have to appeal and my year will be up before the appeal is heard and in the meantime I'll have spent hours preparing bits of paper and grovelling to GPs and consultants. I really don't need the money that badly!

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

What about those of us who really do need the money?

My partner earns 16000 an this is not enough to cover our expenses

we don't have ant debts apart from our mortgage and we are planning to move to another city where house prices are lower to reduce our mortgage vut in the current market who knows how long this may take

we don't have any savings they have been used to subsidise my earnings but now they have run out.

we wouldn't qualify for any income relate benefit. what are we supposed to do?

there is no miracle 12 month cure for most ailments, and until they event one isn't this a bit unrealistic.

if they are going to do this shouldn't they raise the amount of income allowed, they have put a cap of 500 for couples and families well we get half of that, the two are so far apart it doesn't make any sense.

i know that this only for those in the WRAG but even those with the most severe disabilities are lucky to that these days.so bar far to many to ill to work are in this group, forcing them into work may bring major health hazards and with this larger NHS costs and cost to employers by employing those who are incapable of sustaining their role.

in theory i get the point and if it is applied to those with much higher incomes great, but until they have sorted the ESA system ensuring people are properly assessed and put in the right group it cant possibly carried out effectively.

i just don't understand the whole concept of forcing those who are sick and disabled into work or poverty.

The whole world is made of faith, trust and pixie dust :p

I was treating this entirely separately to the whole problem that the ESA system doesn't work .... which is why I made the decision not to even apply to be transferred.

Yes, there are a lot of people who are going to be worse off and the ones it will affect most are those with incomes just above 'poverty level', but I still think it is fairer than the current system where regardless of resources or partner's income you can just go on claiming for life. Why should being ill be treated any differently to being made redundant? You get a cushion of 12 months to sort yourselves out, after which the government will only provide the minimum you need to live on.

The whole system does break down if you have to pay a mortgage rather than rent though, and I think they will have to work out some means of taking this into account either by an allowance against your income or by a sliding scale of help as you get with rent.

RMW

I wasn't aware ESA had a contribution based element. HOw does that work?

Who will be affected? This is a significant issue: if you are ill, being made to look for work after a year is contentious at best.

This is from the directgov website and there's more information there if people want to read it.

HB

Entitlement conditions

There are two types of Employment and Support Allowance:

Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance

You may be entitled to claim contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance if you have paid enough National Insurance contributions.

Income-based Employment and Support Allowance

You may be entitled to claim income-based Employment and Support Allowance if you do not have enough money coming in, or you have not paid enough National Insurance contributions, and you satisfy the entitlement conditions.

This means that you have savings of less than £16,000 and, if you have a partner or civil partner, they work for less than 24 hours a week on average.

Illegitimi non carborundum

There doesn't seem to be any definitive answer as to WHEN any of these changes will occur.

Personally I hear the postman at the door each day and expect the worst. But then after the mention of "hit squads" being sent into neighbourhoods to "tackle benefit fraud" over the weekend, I asked my husband how soon it was before we would have to find some kind soul to hide us in their attic while the Gestapo searched the area.:)

Everything is still up in the air as far as dates. They want us to sit and wait quietly until they decide to inform us.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

There's no point fuming - it's basically what the general public are being conditioned to think. If you say 'benefit' and 'scrounger' in the same sentence often enough, they come to mean exactly the same thing.

RMW

Giving us vouchers would be very demeaning, can you imagine going to the supermarket and paying with them it would be like announcing to the world yes i am on benefits. i think id feel like i constantly would have to explain myself to stop people automatically thinking there goes another scrounger.

aren't we entitled to some dignity and what about confidentiality i don't wont the world to know im on benefits.

honestly these people have no idea, i posted a cross reply on there cos it made me mad as well.

If they pay us vouchers, how will we pay for utilities or transport? It seems totally mad. And I don't tell anyone now I'm on benefits. Even relatives talk about scroungers and then adding "of course we don't mean you" doesn't make it any better.:(

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Hello

I have been reading this with a great deal of interest. I agree absolutely that any contribution based benefit should have a time limit attached to it.

Otherwise you are going to have millionaires claiming ESA for year after year because they paid some contributions in the past.

I think that ALL benefits should be means tested and the contribution based ones should be scrapped.

I would suggest that this includes everything - JSA, ESA, Bus passes, Winter Fuel Allowance, DLA, AA, Familly Allowance etc etc.

If people have enough coming in then why should the state give them any more!

I have someone in my family who retired from the Civil Service about 25 years ago. He actually lives quite well on that pension without the rest that he gets. He has never spent a penny of his Old Age Pension - he invests it in bank and building society bonds. He also gets another £71.40 every week Attendance Allowance which he uses to pay his gardener and handyman, £400 heating allowance, bus pass - yet still runs a car, but choses not to use it because it is difficult to park sometimes, free TV licence, a war pension etc etc.

Surely that is a good enough reason to means test everything?

Gemma

Gemstar

As i have said before means testing is fine if they increase the amount income allowed. Can you please answer me this honestly.

If God Forbid you and yours were in some kind of accident that left you disabled could you manage on £102.00pw?

I don't think you understand DLA at all i think that using it to pay for a Gardner and handyman is a good use, he's using it to pay for things he can longer do himself that he would of been able if he was not disabled. A lot of us don't have that luxury we have no choice but use it just to survive. And yes you are allowed to use it as the claimant see fit.

I have to say i don't know much about war pensions but i absolutely disagree that they should means tested. Many war veterans has their youth stolen and their lives destroyed if they didn't loose them. We as a population and especially as a government owe them our absolute respect and gratitude. They deserve to enjoy their retirement.

In theory you do make a good point but in reality the way system works just doesn't allow for this, it needs a complete overhaul first .

'Giving us vouchers would be very demeaning, can you imagine going to the supermarket'

You could argue that, that would breach your 'Human Rights', it's designed to humiliate. They would in effect be creating a different class of citizen.

The supermaket have enough problem with 'Vouchers', every been in a queue, someone presents a 5p off voucher, the voucher is taken away for forensic inspection, they return 20 minutes later saying it can't be used.

all that would happen would be a black market in vouchers, people would be selling them for less than face value for cash, or they would very quickly be reproduced by some unscrupulous individuals and you would be able to buy them..or perhaps the condemnations would like to put forward a voucher that has the persons identity etc printed on it...imagine the cost???

Hello

Thanks for your comments. Yes I was trying to make a point of saying that there are people out there that don't need any benefit at all. They have their own resources. It is criminal that this individual can 'invest the whole of his OAP for over 20 years. that total without interest would amount to some £90,000 so far!!

That on top of his AA and War Pension (incidentally he suffered PTSD - something that happens today to 'ordinary' people and they get on with their life).

Of course there are those that every £1 matters, but think of the increase they could have if all benefits and pensions were means tested?

£102 pw? Yes I could live on that a week. In fact currently the minimum that somebody would get at 60 + is £132.60 pw, not £102.

No rent, Council Tax etc - just food heat, light and general living costs - £132 pw - yes certainly - I happen to do so!.

Gemma

x