TV license enforcement visit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4549 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

But surely if you own a TV set BUT don't use it for watching PC (as in my case), then the BEST advice is still not to talk or say anything to TV Licence inspectors who come calling.

The more you communicate with them by giving them your name and details, the more risk you run of being prosecuted, even if you legitimately own a TV but do not use it for watching live programs.

In these circumstances it is very unlikely that they would seek to get a warrant to enter your premises as they must first show the judge that they have some suspicion that you are breaking the law.

Andy

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jsa12

capita/tvl carry as much legal weight at the door as an avon representative they both hold the same rights of entry.

I gave in and got license for kids and the need to destress at having to deal with these beasts. However have to say been watching more telly now than ever since arrived and sky installed. Funny enough its not bbc but quest etc and living.

I feel hopefully companies like sky should offer boxes capable of detuned bbc packages and therefore hopefully enough people could argue we dont watch it, let us not have tv license.

The only thing that nags me is I like bbc radio and know that if many opted out from fee, then that would change. So I cant have it both ways.

I can however now as a up to date customer as they call it, have a go as I recently did, that they keep putting the wrong details on my licence and payment card and therefore are incompetant, I did like that. They couldnt threaten me for something I wasnt doing anyhow this time like they normally do.

I said the reason they keep asking for more than schedule expects to be paid is they cant switch off from being debt collectors, he didnt like it:D

But at least I was smiling for once xx

capita/tvl carry as much legal weight at the door as an avon representative they both hold the same rights of entry.

However the Avon representative cannot get a search warrant, or report you to the CPS/PF as a potential criminal.

I gave in and got license for kids and the need to destress at having to deal with these beasts. However have to say been watching more telly now than ever since arrived and sky installed. Funny enough its not bbc but quest etc and living.

I feel hopefully companies like sky should offer boxes capable of detuned bbc packages and therefore hopefully enough people could argue we dont watch it, let us not have tv license.

The only thing that nags me is I like bbc radio and know that if many opted out from fee, then that would change. So I cant have it both ways.

I can however now as a up to date customer as they call it, have a go as I recently did, that they keep putting the wrong details on my licence and payment card and therefore are incompetant, I did like that. They couldnt threaten me for something I wasnt doing anyhow this time like they normally do.

I said the reason they keep asking for more than schedule expects to be paid is they cant switch off from being debt collectors, he didnt like it:D

But at least I was smiling for once xx

It is quite possible not to have a licence but still watch the majority of shows you wish too, just watch everything via 'catch up' services. (As I do).

To anyone with a PC running Vista or 7 that has the Media Center option, I'd recommend TunerFree MCE, it provides you with all the 'catch up' programs from BBC, ITV, Ch4, MSN Channel, etc in one place, as long as you don't watch anything live, you can view licence free to your hearts content.

http://www.milliesoft.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=11

There is also a Sky option, so its possible to watch Sky 'catch up' shows too.

http://skyplayer.sky.com/vod/page/default/home.do?DCMP=ILC-GENSKYCOM_DTH

This option doesn't require an aerial, just a decent broadband connection.

Andy

Edited by andydd

Guest jsa12

that may be the case and you are fully justified in doing so on your pc.however tvl will once someone's let them into their home things can and do turn nasty in the fact you own a tv although no licence is required just to watch prerecorded programs',typical examples are snow on screen they will term that as fuzzy on the form that people are misguided to sign hence incriminating themselves its been reported,if people just shut the door that's that and they will disappear.

If people are prepared to sign a guilty admission for the reasons stated, they need professional help. An agent will simply return if entry is not gained first time and will continue to chase until they seek satisfaction to their enquiries. Hoping they go away forever is an ostrich mentality. If there is a working TV, it is deemed installed in law. They do not need to be watch g it, but it helps.

Just a point but l notice that a question earlier did not get answered.

when the analogue signal is turn off any you have ONLY analogue recieving equipment do u still need a television license?

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Guest jsa12

they play on peoples' ignorance on the powers' of capita/tvl,which implies a great deal however this is all an attempt to mislead "send enforcement officers to take your statement" what they are not saying is there's nothing they can do if you keep the door closed who anyone wants to deal with is up to them not what capita/tvl imply,they have no more powers' and as much legal right to read a people a caution as the people they are talking to.

they can return all they like it costs them time and money thats the main thing,i have had "we said we'd call" cards through the door,however this is all meaningless no more threat then a postman leaving an attempted delivery card,as for "gaining entry" they cannot as you have closed the door in their face.they are easily delt with.

the analogue signal in the uk is rapidly in the process of being replaced by digital,this means they (capita/tvl) wont be able to fiddle a picture on many sets'.no licence is required simply to own a set.

really tho that does not answer the question re the tvs and digital turn switch over. If l dont have a digital ariel, which my council house doe not have, and the council are not goin to be upgrading them then as l only have crt tv and no freeview box recieving a signal then can they argue l need a license.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Just a point but l notice that a question earlier did not get answered.

when the analogue signal is turn off any you have ONLY analogue recieving equipment do u still need a television license?

That's easy! No, once analogue licenced broadcasts cease, the TV cannot be used to watch live broadcasts, co you would be completely safe from any action.

There IS a gotcha, however. If you have a free view box or dongle, then this WILL require a licence, not the TV. So, there is no difficulty in enforcement if the TV is compliant, but there an STB which permits viewing.

but for us to get a signal the ariel will need upgrading so if the council dont do that then we wont get a signal.

That's easy! No, once analogue licenced broadcasts cease, the TV cannot be used to watch live broadcasts, co you would be completely safe from any action.

There IS a gotcha, however. If you have a free view box or dongle, then this WILL require a licence, not the TV. So, there is no difficulty in enforcement if the TV is compliant, but there an STB which permits viewing.

..and buy the smallest dongle you find and when the inspectors come knocking..swallow it :)

It is quite possible not to have a licence but still watch the majority of shows you wish too, just watch everything via 'catch up' services. (As I do).

To anyone with a PC running Vista or 7 that has the Media Center option, I'd recommend TunerFree MCE, it provides you with all the 'catch up' programs from BBC, ITV, Ch4, MSN Channel, etc in one place, as long as you don't watch anything live, you can view licence free to your hearts content.

TunerFree MCE

There is also a Sky option, so its possible to watch Sky 'catch up' shows too.

Watch TV Online | Sky Player

This option doesn't require an aerial, just a decent broadband connection.

Andy

I was under the impression that a licence was for broadcast signals wether through aerials, sat dish (sky) or decoded and sent to houseolds via cable(virgin).

What is deemed by live tv, beside's news, sports, first show in series, etc....... :confused:

there are that many repeated programmes broadcast or are the repeats deemed as 'catch up' :-)

:-) It's just a pasing thought. if I am wrong it it will just keep passing by :-)

dk

ps

nice buzby lol

Edited by dragonkeeper
ps to buzby

really tho that does not answer the question re the tvs and digital turn switch over. If l dont have a digital ariel, which my council house doe not have, and the council are not goin to be upgrading them then as l only have crt tv and no freeview box recieving a signal then can they argue l need a license.

but for us to get a signal the ariel will need upgrading so if the council dont do that then we wont get a signal.

No such thing as a digital aerial. The aerial 'might' need upgrading, not will. The majority of problems with present aerials is the connection to the coax in the aerial junction box.

I was under the impression that a licence was for broadcast signals wether through aerials, sat dish (sky) or decoded and sent to houseolds via cable(virgin).

What is deemed by live tv, beside's news, sports, first show in series, etc....... :confused:

there are that many repeated programmes broadcast or are the repeats deemed as 'catch up' :-)

:-) It's just a pasing thought. if I am wrong it it will just keep passing by :-)

dk

ps

nice buzby lol

No licence is required to watch (non-live) TV 'catch-up' programs on iPlayer, and yes there is a scenario in which I could watch a 'live' repeat episode of Only Fools & Horses on BBC1 for which I'd need a licence but it I was to watch it (at the same time ?) via a 'streamed' (non-live) catch-up service then I wouldnt need one.

And ..yes...there is a fine line between the two, but BBC Licencing certainly give the impression that live refers to anything being broadcast across the airwaves (as well as being streamed over the 'net) as oppossed to anything being streamed over the internet only.

Of course, the BBC could seek for a change in the law to include internet streams into the definition of live broadcasts.

Andy

Edited by andydd
  • Haha 1

Circular argument, it is the CAPABILITY of viewing the live broadcasts that makes enforcement work, and the risk with the viewer to prove innocence for the criminal action, leaving it to the judge to evaluate the probity of the alleged unlicenced viewer.

Internet streamd have alreaqdy been defined in law, f the stream is viewed 'as live' which is an unspecified delay (but probably no more than 5 minutes aster the existing terrestrial feed), then a licence is required. If non-live iPlayer, you are safe enough, BUT since the equipment used is the same, we're back at the same problam as before - you have the tools, so it is up to the believability of their protests of innocence that a judge has to believe. This holds true for ALL UK terrestrial and satellite broadcasers (UK Gold, Sky, ITV etc) not just the BBC ones.

• Haha 1

No such thing as a digital aerial. The aerial 'might' need upgrading, not will. The majority of problems with present aerials is the connection to the coax in the aerial junction box.

Ok then i did not realise that. I am just going on what the council said in a newletter to the residents of the area. Can u expand more on what you mean buy this as the council have said that all arials will need upgrading due to them not being digital ariels and restidents will be contacted more nearer the time. We may not be able to do all in time for the switch over.

It all depends on the transmitters being used - All channels may not be available as each multiplex holds a batch of channels. Some areas do not require any chanhes of aerials, other do. There's no such thing as a 'switchover' the digital transmissions are already broadcasting. It is a switch-off of analogue only.

well thats something else new l have learnt.

If there is no such thing as a switch over then why are the advertising campains saying that.

Because like most advertising, it's all pitched at the uninformed. There never was or will be a switchover. Analogue has existed on its own until 2004. There was then a digital rollout, to cover the areas analogue did. Once completd, they have an analogue switch off, leaving digital as the only method of terrewstrial TV transmission. Nothing is being 'switched over'.

The latest [problem] is promoting the 'Radio Amnesty' to fool folk into swapping analogue radios for digital. Why an 'amnesty'? Listening to the radio was never illegal, so no requirement for an amnesty. It's just a £10 discount for your old radio.

It all depends on the transmitters being used - All channels may not be available as each multiplex holds a batch of channels. Some areas do not require any chanhes of aerials, other do. There's no such thing as a 'switchover' the digital transmissions are already broadcasting. It is a switch-off of analogue only.

Which brings us to another point on aerials. You could be shown that the signal is weak and told you need a new aerial, but until the analogue is switched off, the digital signal is not at full power, so be aware of that one.