• Tweets

• Well barristers would say that in the hope that motorists would go to them for advice -obviously paid advice.  The problem with appealing is at least twofold. 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver.  And in a lot of cases the last thing the keeper wants when they are also the driver is that the parking company knows that. It makes it so much easier for them as the majority  of Judges do not accept that the keeper and the driver are the same person for obvious reasons. Often they are not the same person especially when it is a family car where the husband, wife and children are all insured to drive the same car. On top of that  just about every person who has a valid insurance policy is able to drive another person's vehicle. So there are many possibilities and it should be up to the parking company to prove it to some extent.  Most parking company's do not accept appeals under virtually any circumstances. But insist that you carry on and appeal to their so called impartial jury who are often anything but impartial. By turning down that second appeal, many motorists pay up because they don't know enough about PoFA to argue with those decisions which brings us to the second problem. 2] the major parking companies are mostly unscrupulous, lying cheating scrotes. So when you appeal and your reasons look as if they would have merit in Court, they then go about  concocting a Witness Statement to debunk that challenge. We feel that by leaving what we think are the strongest arguments to our Member's Witness Statements, it leaves insufficient time to be thwarted with their lies etc. And when the motorists defence is good enough to win, it should win regardless of when it is first produced.   
    • S13 (2)The creditor may not exercise the right under paragraph 4 to recover from the keeper any unpaid parking charges specified in the notice to keeper if, within the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which that notice was given, the creditor is given— (a)a statement signed by or on behalf of the vehicle-hire firm to the effect that at the material time the vehicle was hired to a named person under a hire agreement; (b)a copy of the hire agreement; and (c)a copy of a statement of liability signed by the hirer under that hire agreement. As  Arval has complied with the above they cannot be pursued by EC----- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- S14 [1]   the creditor may recover those charges (so far as they remain unpaid) from the hirer. (2)The conditions are that— (a)the creditor has within the relevant period given the hirer a notice in accordance with sub-paragraph (5) (a “notice to hirer”), together with a copy of the documents mentioned in paragraph 13(2) and the notice to keeper; (b)a period of 21 days beginning with the day on which the notice to hirer was given has elapsed;  As ECP did not send copies of the documents to your company and they have given 28 days instead of 21 days they have failed to comply with  the Act so you and your Company are absolved from paying. That is not to say that they won't continue asking to be paid as they do not have the faintest idea how PoFA works. 
    • Euro have got a lot wrong and have failed to comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  According to Section 13 after ECP have written to Arval they should then send a NTH to the Hirer  which they have done.This eliminates Arval from any further pursuit by ECP. When they wrote to your company they should have sent copies of everything that they asked Arval for. This is to prove that your company agree what happened on the day of the breach. If ECP then comply with the Act they are allowed to pursue the hirer. If they fail, to comply they cannot make the hirer pay. They can pursue until they are blue in the face but the Hirer is not lawfully required to pay them and if it went to Court ECP would lose. Your company could say who was driving but the only person that can be pursued is the Hirer, there does not appear to be an extension for a driver to be pursued. Even if there was, because ECP have failed miserably to comply with the Act  they still have no chance of winning in Court. Here are the relevant Hire sections from the Act below.
    • Thank-you FTMDave for your feedback. May I take this opportunity to say that after reading numerous threads to which you are a contributor, I have great admiration for you. You really do go above and beyond in your efforts to help other people. The time you put in to help, in particular with witness statements is incredible. I am also impressed by the way in which you will defer to others with more experience should there be a particular point that you are not 100% clear on and return with answers or advice that you have sought. I wish I had the ability to help others as you do. There is another forum expert that I must also thank for his time and patience answering my questions and allowing me to come to a “penny drops” moment on one particular issue. I believe he has helped me immensely to understand and to strengthen my own case. I shall not mention who it is here at the moment just in case he would rather I didn't but I greatly appreciate the time he took working through that issue with me. I spent 20+ years of working in an industry that rules and regulations had to be strictly adhered to, indeed, exams had to be taken in order that one had to become qualified in those rules and regulations in order to carry out the duties of the post. In a way, such things as PoFA 2012 are rules and regulations that are not completely alien to me. It has been very enjoyable for me to learn these regulations and the law surrounding them. I wish I had found this forum years ago. I admit that perhaps I had been too keen to express my opinions given that I am still in the learning process. After a suitable period in this industry I became Qualified to teach the rules and regulations and I always said to those I taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. If opinions, theories and observations are put forward, discussion can take place and as long as the result is that the student is able to clearly see where they went wrong and got to that moment where the penny drops then that is a valuable learning experience. No matter how experienced one is, there is always something to learn and if I did not know the answer to a question, I would say, I don't know the answer to that question but I will go and find out what the answer is. In any posts I have made, I have stated, “unless I am wrong” or “as far as I can see” awaiting a response telling me what I got wrong, if it was wrong. If I am wrong I am only too happy to admit it and take it as a valuable learning experience. I take the point that perhaps I should not post on other peoples threads and I shall refrain from doing so going forward. 🤐 As alluded to, circumstances can change, FTMDave made the following point that it had been boasted that no Caggers, over two years, who had sent a PPC the wrong registration snotty letter, had even been taken to court, let alone lost a court hearing .... but now they have. I too used the word "seemed" because it is true, we haven't had all the details. After perusing this forum I believe certain advice changed here after the Beavis case, I could be wrong but that is what I seem to remember reading. Could it be that after winning the above case in question, a claimant could refer back to this case and claim that a defendant had not made use of the appeal process, therefore allowing the claimant to win? Again, in this instance only, I do not know what is to be gained by not making an appeal or concealing the identity of the driver, especially if it is later admitted that the defendant was the driver and was the one to input the incorrect VRN in error. So far no one has educated me as to the reason why. But, of course, when making an appeal, it should be worded carefully so that an error in the appeal process cannot be referred back to. I thought long and hard about whether or not to post here but I wanted to bring up this point for discussion. Yes, I admit I have limited knowledge, but does that mean I should have kept silent? After I posted that I moved away from this forum slightly to find other avenues to increase my knowledge. I bought a law book and am now following certain lawyers on Youtube in the hope of arming myself with enough ammunition to use in my own case. In one video titled “7 Reasons You Will LOSE Your Court Case (and how to avoid them)” by Black Belt Barrister I believe he makes my point by saying the following, and I quote: “If you ignore the complaint in the first instance and it does eventually end up in court then it's going to look bad that you didn't co-operate in the first place. The court is not going to look kindly on you simply ignoring the company and not, let's say, availing yourself of any kind of appeal opportunities, particularly if we are talking about parking charge notices and things like that.” This point makes me think that, it is not such a bizarre judgement in the end. Only in the case of having proof of payment and inputting an incorrect VRN .... could it be worthwhile making a carefully worded appeal in the first instance? .... If the appeal fails, depending on the reason, surely this could only help if it went to court? As always, any feedback gratefully received.
    • To which official body does one make a formal complaint about a LPA fixed charge receiver? Does one make a complaint first to the company employing the appointed individuals?    Or can one complain immediately to an official body, such as nara?    I've tried researching but there doesn't seem a very clear route on how to legally hold them to account for wrongful behaviour.  It seems frustratingly complicated because they are considered to be officers of the court and held in high esteem - and the borrower is deemed liable for their actions.  Yet what does the borrower do when disclosure shows clear evidence of wrong-doing? Does anyone have any pointers please?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Just received a debt from bailiff company? Advice from ex bailiff employee. Please read!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5315 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I am ex-employee of a bailiff company, as you might have seen from my previous post, I am going to be posting lots of useful information because I am sick of people being ripped off by these money greedy people.

This is my first message and it is aimed at people who have only just received details of a debt from a bailiff company. I know a lot of this seem very very obvious but you would be surprised how often I have seen people being charged hundreds of pounds just because they haven't kept to these simple steps...so please read carefully!

You need to read all of this to make sure you are doing everything correct in order to avoid HUGE fees and bailiffs threatening you!

If you receive a notice of a debt from a bailiff company then I am presuming that you are agreeing that you owe the debt, and

if not then you should be contacting the council or client to seek more details.

OK, so you have received details of a debt you owe from a bailiff company? There are two options for you here: either you

agree to pay the bailiff company in installments or you completely refuse to deal with them and try to get the case sent

back to the council. Unless the bailiff company are being very threatening and demanding right from the start or you have

very good reason for the case to go back to the client / council then I advise to deal with the bailiffs. It isn't as difficult and scary as you might have thought!

This is very important: There are two types of bailiffs, First call or Levy bailiffs and Enforcement bailiffs. Just because

you hear the word 'bailiff', there is no need to freak out. Usually, when a case is passed to a bailiff company, it will go

straight out to a levy bailiff. The levy bailiff is there to set a payment arrangement with you and is NOT there to remove

your goods! Yes they will ask for a payment up front but you do not have to offer this as they will agree to set a payment arrangement / plan anyway. If they become threatening then back off and say you will go back to the council or Citizens Advice Bureau. Levy bailiffs are usually quite easy to deal with though so this is not usually required.

This is also very important...DO NOT agree to a payment plan that you cannot afford because this is the start of your

downfall and is the main reason, in my experience, that most people end up dealing with enforcement bailiffs threatening to

remove their goods.

One thing I must mention...A levy/first calls bailiff WILL charge for the service but this is legal so there is no way of stopping it unless you really really want to force the case to be sent back to the client but to be honest I have seen so many cases go to an enforcement bailiff while waiting for the client to sort it out that I don't recommend this at all. An enforcement bailiff will usually charge around 90 pound for calling out, even if no goods are removed.

What if the bailiff is not accepting your offer? Try to show the bailiff some kind of proof of your income or benefits, as

this is usually good enough to send them off accepting the lowest possible payment plan. If they are still not accepting the

offer then tell them you are going to the Citizen's Advice Bureau as most bailiff companies will accept an offer from them.

OK, by now I'm hoping you have a payment plan in place? If not and you have been dealing with a first calls / levy bailiff then let me know and I will try to help! I don't have knowledge and experience of every bailiff firm but I will do my best.

**Very important** You have a payment plan in place? Good. Call the bailiff company to confirm this and if you have more than one case with them then you should ask them to confirm that the plan is to cover all cases because these companies often 'forget' to cover all cases so one of the other cases will default and they will send an enforcement bailiff so they can add more fees.

**Also very very important** Check the exact details of the payment plan with them. You need to know exactly when it starts and when the first payment is due and also how often payments are due because first calls bailiffs get this wrong so many times. You have the right to request the payment plan to be sent to you in the post. I don't think any companies charge for this either so ALWAYS request it!

One final tip for now... Can't call a mobile phone when the bailiff is on the road? Don't worry, call the call centre of the company and they can ask the bailiff to call you back. Don't waste all your credit on calling them! They will always call you back as it is in their best interest.

This should be enough information for most people who receive a letter stating they owe a debt. If you keep to this then you should have no problems and the debt will be paid off.

Ask me anything you need to know or let me know anything I have missed. I WILL be updating this!

Thanks for reading.

Don't let them beat you!

Edited by consumer_justice

sorry but whoever you are you post is most misleading.

in terms of council tax, as stated in the guidelines posted here many many times, is £24.50 for 1st visit & £18 for a second. that is all that can be charged.

if someone is able to make a payment plan they should do that direct to the council concerned & NOT to a bailiff.

dx

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

HI and yes I agree if it is possible in any way to make a payment plan with the council then please do that but I am trying to offer my personal experience here. I have taken thousands of calls from people who have had their debts passed to a bailiff and on many occasions been to scared to deal with the bailiff or have tried to have the case passed back to the council and ended waiting so long they have paid the bailiff company in installments (after having fees added). All I am trying to do is warn people against waiting for weeks and months and then end up paying huge amounts (again I have seen this so many times). As I said, if people are willing to fight it enough to get the case sent back to the council then that is great but in my extensive experience that happens in much less than a quarter of cases. And again, I am happy to help if this is possible.

Thanks

What if the bailiff is not accepting your offer? Try to show the bailiff some kind of proof of your income or benefits, as this is usually good enough to send them off accepting the lowest possible payment plan. If they are still not accepting theoffer then tell them you are going to the Citizen's Advice Bureau as most bailiff companies will accept an offer from them.

So just to clarify: your advice is to pay them, or make an arrangement to pay them asap and if they refuse to accept your offer send them information that they have no legal rights to? erm right, don't be too upset if I don't follow your advice!!

From my own experience the only people who a bailiff will take notice of are the courts, not the CAB, not any of the debt charities and often not even their own clients. Trying to negotiate with a bailiff even when you agree to make payments (regardless of what kind they are) is like trying to sculpt with mud: very frustrating and not at all constructive)

The regulations provide that a bailiff can charge £24.50 for "attending to levy but where NO levy was made " and a second such visit may be charged at £18.00.

HOWEVER...a bailiff may ONLY charge this fee is he is UNABLE to levy. He CANNOT of course charge a fee of £24.50 if he is able to levy.

Where there is a serious problem with the vast majority of bailiffs is that they are charging an "enforcement fee" at the 1st or 2nd visit.Typically we are finding this fee is being charged at between £150-£250!! This fee is NOT PROHIBITED. This is because this fee is a really an "attending to remove" fee which can ONLY be applied if the bailiff has PREVIOUSLY LEVIED upon goods!!

What we are finding is that a bailiff will "levy" upon car close to the house which he "assumes" belongs to the debtor.

When the debtor challenging this we find that the bailiff will then remove the "levy fee" but forgets to remove the "enforcement fee" !!!

What we are finding is that a bailiff will "levy" upon car close to the house which he "assumes" belongs to the debtor.

Yep I had a bailiff turn up for some outstanding parking tickets... went down to the street to talk with him and tell him that the car in question is NEVER parked outside my house... and he will never EVER gain peaceful entry to my property. He looked at a car across the road and said

"So that's not your car over there with private plates then mate?" and sniggered.....

I replied "That's not even the same MAKE of car as the one you are after, im assuming you are not going on mastermind in the near future", and sniggered in the exact way he did.

He knew i was taking the P, but slowly nodded and walked away.... thats the last i heard.

UKD

Interesting thread and it's nice to see someone on here from the inside so to speak.

I'm a little confused with fees as there is conflicting views.

Here's what happened:

Back door open in the summer so bailiff just walks in.

Wife ends up signing walking posession order and pays £400 on the spot.

Bailiff agrees to balance being paid in a month.

Bailiff charges £24.50 first visit fee,

£200 van fee,

£62.50 for distress (based on scale of percentages etc) and

£20 based on the £400 credit card payment.

Total fees for the single visit £307.00

Now, in my view he should have either charged £24.50 or the £62.50 and nothing else unless he has to return and enforce the walking posession order.

Correct or not???

It's going to be an interesting year...

sorry to say this, hell no im not, but i wouldnt trust a bailiff or his/hers company as far as I could throw them, they are no better than an organised crime syndicate, They dont know the regs/codes of conducts of their own business's, they lie through their backsides to save their own skins and are vultures who prey on the weak and vunerable.

Even you 'consumer justice' has got it wrong in part. May I suggest you go back and read up on bailiff law before you give out advice, albeit in good faith.

sorry to say this, hell no im not, but i wouldnt trust a bailiff or his/hers company as far as I could throw them, they are no better than an organised crime syndicate, They dont know the regs/codes of conducts of their own business's, they lie through their backsides to save their own skins and are vultures who prey on the weak and vunerable.

Even you 'consumer justice' has got it wrong in part. May I suggest you go back and read up on bailiff law before you give out advice, albeit in good faith.

Your right !!!

And if they did know the laws then we wouldn't get treated like they treat us would we?

No bailiffs work to how they should well not the ones repoted against on this forum

Guys i have been crushed by these peaple, but does he not have the right to put the wrongs right he is willing to help peaple looking at it from the inside and from his own past working as a bailiff i have lost everything but i still say if he is willing to help then,well he knows what these peaple do and does not want to be a part of it.we all have to feed our kids and i know i would do anything to do that because they come first

Well, interesting. Just, why are you consumer_justice only advising to pay the assumed debt? Can we have any advise about how not to pay:) I mean obviously if you have to pay you have to. but there is so many cases not finished by the council and already passed to bailiffs just to scare people. That's most annoying.

Well, interesting. Just, why are you consumer_justice only advising to pay the assumed debt? Can we have any advise about how not to pay:) I mean obviously if you have to pay you have to. but there is so many cases not finished by the council and already passed to bailiffs just to scare people. That's most annoying.

sorry what do you mean, not pay bailiff fees?

or not pay the debt as a whole?

if its gone to bailliffsthen you have had plenty of warning till that point and ignored them.

99% of councils will agree a payment plan, but you have to contact them and TBH be realistic no take the michael out of them.

as for bailiff fees, again pay the counci by arrangement and get them called off.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Greetings again all,

I didn't think I would make such a stir, I think perhaps I didn't explain why I was writing this and to who I was aiming it very well.

I have dealt with thousands of cases. Let me describe the most typical case I have ever dealt with....

Case is passed to bailiff company to deal with, letter sent to debtor, debtor refuses to allow bailiff to levy and bailiff is sent back to the company saying 'debtor refuses to pay'. Ok, this is what almost ALWAYS happens now...the case goes to the enforcement bailiff, who adds a charge of 90 pound to the case. Yes the 42.50 would already have been added despite no levy. I assure you the charge is added on 80% + of cases even when no levy taken.

Ok so enforcement bailiff calls, threatening locksmith and removal (yep, even when no levy done). At this point I would say 30% plus of people pay at least half of the balance, quite a lot pay in full too.

So what happens to the people who still refuse to let bailiff in? They battle for weeks trying to get the council to take the case back (and they don't always do this...there are some strict councils such as Solihull, Wigan, Luton, London Boroughs etc etc). I would be very surprised if the fees would be removed so debtors end up paying them anyway...this all often leads to immense stress and problems. I have seen many cases sent for commital to prison because people won't pay or allow levy. Not that many actually go that far but with certain councils it can happen.

Now you might say 'they can't do that, it's all illegal' etc etc. Fair enough, but they do! We are talking about the most corrupt industry in the world as far as I'm concerned.

Let's take my original message now and do what I suggested...

Debtor receives letter from bailiff company about debt, agrees to pay over x amount of months (guidelines are usually 6 months or 3 months for the strict councils I mentioned, unless benefits then they will accept 5 pound per week)....

Debtor agrees to levy so levy bailiff turns up (levy bailiffs are not usually horrible people, they are friendly and very helpful..yes you get some bad ones but not often), does levy, watched carefully by debtor so nothing can go wrong, double checks all details with the office as I said to and then pays as requested...debt is cleared, no stress or hassle, the only down side? Levy fee, usually about 40 pound but it can be a & of the debt, never seen one over a hundred pound though.

If you want to battle the bailiff company when it is a legitimate debt then you're just asking for trouble.

I hope it clears up who I was aiming it at.

I really really despise debt companies, I am trying to help because they make millions in unfair fees every year.

I will get to the other replies soon and will be writing a 'what to do when enforcement action has been taken' thread soon.

Take care

Spamheed, you don't seem to have understood at all. There are so many people like this who just think 'bailiff companies are impossible and will rip me off so I'm not going to deal with them'. Not true. You just have to know how to deal with them.

What I meant was yes set a payment arrangement with them but if they get pushy then back off and threaten to contact council or CAB because the last thing the bailiff wants is no payment plan at all.

I don't know if I stressed this enough either...You do NOT have to pay up front to set up a payment plan so don't be pushed into it.

TRUTH...the CAB have a deal with the company I used to work for that if they call then the company have to put the case on hold for 2 weeks and call the case back from the bailiff. They are also trying to strike deals with other companies too but I'm unsure about the outcome. The company I worked for really do have to take notice of the CAB though. They always adhere to the rules when they're involved.

Oh and if anyone wants to know who I worked for then PM me.

Again, I'm trying to help, don't put people off sorting out their problems the simple way. Out of all the people I ever dealt with, the happy people who were friendly were the people who allowed the levy and agreed a sensible payment plan, not those who fought it from the start. I've seen so many cases escalate for abolutely no reason.

Sorry fella but I don't agree. Baliffs can be beaten easilly if you stand firm and know your rights. Even if the debt is justified the charges never are.

You seem to advise that to battle a baliff is asking for trouble. If so then I guess many of us on here like trouble AND have won.

I'm glad your no longer one of the scumbags but your views are tarnished due to industry 'brain washing'.

We can and will beat the baliff on a daily basis. I'm sure your experience will prove a useful insight.

I can assure you I have seen more people lose when 'battling the bailiff' than those who have won. Many many more. I'm not talking about those who are fighting bailiffs who have added illegal fees or are there for payment in full etc, just those who want the case paid off without the hassle and problems. After all, a lot of the time, the debt is legitimate.

My view is not tarnished in any way, I despise them all, I hate the industry but for the sake of one fee I don't think it is worth it. Everyone is different...I have a young son and can imagine that those with children and having an enforcement bailiff calling round making stress just because they wouldn't allow a levy, it just isn't worth it.

As I said, I will be writing more towards enforcement soon and also what to do if you really do want to fight the bailiff right from the start and if you have a legitimate reason etc. I don't agree with bailiff fees, I am trying to explain the best way in my opinion and experience to deal with a debt. If all cases were dealt with like I said then bailiff companies would make no where near the money they make now, they make almost all of their money from people who refuse to set up a payment plan or those who set one they can't afford. It's a fact.

I'm also presuming most people who come on here don't come to say 'I'm going to fight these bailiffs' but probably to say 'what the hell do I do?'. So many people think a levy bailiff is there to threaten them and remove goods, I used to get asked if they did that on a daily basis.

Spamheed, you don't seem to have understood at all. There are so many people like this who just think 'bailiff companies are impossible and will rip me off so I'm not going to deal with them'. Not true. You just have to know how to deal with them.

What I meant was yes set a payment arrangement with them but if they get pushy then back off and threaten to contact council or CAB because the last thing the bailiff wants is no payment plan at all.

I don't know if I stressed this enough either...You do NOT have to pay up front to set up a payment plan so don't be pushed into it.

TRUTH...the CAB have a deal with the company I used to work for that if they call then the company have to put the case on hold for 2 weeks and call the case back from the bailiff. They are also trying to strike deals with other companies too but I'm unsure about the outcome. The company I worked for really do have to take notice of the CAB though. They always adhere to the rules when they're involved.

Oh and if anyone wants to know who I worked for then PM me.

Again, I'm trying to help, don't put people off sorting out their problems the simple way. Out of all the people I ever dealt with, the happy people who were friendly were the people who allowed the levy and agreed a sensible payment plan, not those who fought it from the start. I've seen so many cases escalate for abolutely no reason.

Don't get me wrong here it's nice for people that have been on the other side to post but

You aswell as all bailiffs no that some people can't pay not won't can't and they have to pay what they can afford at the time which is not what the bailiffs want is it? be truthful now

They stitch you up left right and center untill your levied up to your eyeballs and can afford no more... then call you and say you need to pay more when they darn well know you can't so come and take your stuff or give you more aggro .Now I realise that some people don't pay and if they don;t pay then they all have to pay the penalties.....

Now most of us all know here that you DON'T HAVE TO DO ANY BUSINESS with a bailiff and that's Law not fact, All you need to do is pay the council direct and in the end they will see you are paying off the debt and carry on taking you money to finish paying...

So really and truly it's only the people that don't know about this forum or their rights that suffer , But they soon find it and get to know their rights then the bailiff suffer's not them

I agree completely that a lot of the people suffering are the poorer people and a lot won't see the forum but in my experience if they are on benefits or they go through the CAB then the company will set an affordable arrangement.

I've just spoke to a friend who advised me that if an arrangement is made with the company before the levy bailiff goes out then at the moment, half of the time the bailiff won't even bother going, they will just add the 42.50.

Paying the council is one option but the bailiffs aren't just going to give up and let that happen because they lose out, they will still add fees and send it to enforcement. As I said, this is aimed at people who don't want to go through that.

Law means very little to bailiffs companies and the councils are usually on their side anyway. The police don't know what to do because they don't know who they should be assisting. I've seen lots of cases where removal has taken place with police help.

If you want to fight them and refuse to pay them direct then that's great, possibly the best thing to do if it works out but it's not for everyone.

Paying the council is one option but the bailiffs aren't just going to give up and let that happen because they lose out,

Giving up is exactly what they will have to do if you know your rights and stand up to them. Not because i refused to pay, but because i refused to pay them. I actually ripped the last jerk to pieces contradicting everything he said. They got so peeved at getting nothing out of me, they actually apologised for troubling me again.

Heard nothing for about 12 months now.

they will still add fees and send it to enforcement.
They can add all the fees they want. Doesn't mean they are correct and have to be paid. And what enforcement exactly ?

Law means very little to bailiffs companies and the councils are usually on their side anyway. The police don't know what to do because they don't know who they should be assisting. I've seen lots of cases where removal has taken place with police help.

Then its time the law was brought out in the open for ALL to see.

The law is on YOUR SIDE. Dont pay them a penny.

If you want to fight them and refuse to pay them direct then that's great, possibly the best thing to do if it works out but it's not for everyone.

And if we dont lead the fight, they will continue to rip you off for as long as you let them

I presume, Dodgy Geezer, that you are talking about the enforcement bailiff?

Not once have mentioned paying an enforcement bailiff, because I completely agree with you on that, they are money grabbing, unlawful, nasty people.

I am talking about when the very first letter arrives saying the company have taken over the debt. For those who don't want the hassle of repeated bailiff calls and trying to get fees taken off etc then I think, from experience, that the best thing to do is agree a payment plan immediately. As I said before, half the time the first calls/levy bailiff won't even call if the payment plan is already in place. It is the complete ignoring of correspondence and total refusal to deal with it that will lead to enforcement action with the enforcement bailiff.

I totally agree that the law has to come out and people needed to be educated and nobody should be ripped off by an enforcement bailiff, or even a levy bailiff if he tries it on.

This thread has been completely misunderstood. It was aimed at people who have received a first letter saying a bailiff company has taken over the debt, and with my personal opinion that it is easier to just make the payment plan, and also exactly what to do to make sure it is done properly.

I am not encouraging people to deal with enforcement bailiffs in any way, I actually think everybody should fight a bailiff company when the case has gone to an enforcement bailiff.

If you don't want the hassle then do as I first said, but do it properly. If you want to fight from the start then just ignore this!

I presume, Dodgy Geezer, that you are talking about the enforcement bailiff?

Not once have mentioned paying an enforcement bailiff, because I completely agree with you on that, they are money grabbing, unlawful, nasty people.

I am talking about when the very first letter arrives saying the company have taken over the debt. For those who don't want the hassle of repeated bailiff calls and trying to get fees taken off etc then I think, from experience, that the best thing to do is agree a payment plan immediately. As I said before, half the time the first calls/levy bailiff won't even call if the payment plan is already in place. It is the complete ignoring of correspondence and total refusal to deal with it that will lead to enforcement action with the enforcement bailiff.

I totally agree that the law has to come out and people needed to be educated and nobody should be ripped off by an enforcement bailiff, or even a levy bailiff if he tries it on.

This thread has been completely misunderstood. It was aimed at people who have received a first letter saying a bailiff company has taken over the debt, and with my personal opinion that it is easier to just make the payment plan, and also exactly what to do to make sure it is done properly.

I am not encouraging people to deal with enforcement bailiffs in any way, I actually think everybody should fight a bailiff company when the case has gone to an enforcement bailiff.

If you don't want the hassle then do as I first said, but do it properly. If you want to fight from the start then just ignore this!

Its a rare thing to even get a first letter from a bailiff company half the time they just turn up demanding payment.

Yeah that can happen, depends what area of the country you're in usually. A few councils down south send the case straight to an enforcement bailiff but not many. The company I worked for almost always sent a first letter then if the person called back within a week to make an payment arrangement (monthly/weekly) then that was that, they would send a levy bailiff if one was around but not always and even if he couldn't do the levy they would still leave the payment arrangement in place as long as it was kept to.

The bailiff has NO power of enforcement. They only gain power once you give it to them by means of a WPO.

What letter are you talking about. I only got letters from the council, and then a liability order from the court. And then hand delivered letters from the bailiffs.

IMHO Never Ever agree to pay them anything. Tell them to go away, and mean it.

They will rip you off, and then deduct their fees before the council get anything if you agree a payment plan.

Pay the coucil direct, they cannot refuse to accept it.

Edited by HSBCrusher
its much nicer to be firm but polite :-)