So, who enjoyed Dispatches ...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was left feeling "Is that it" ???

Me too. I thought it was pathetic, to be brutally honest. They completely misunderstood how stat barred works. And it's now painfully obvious that none of the mainstream media will ever discuss unenforceability :mad:

One thing is for sure though, CAG is the only place around where you can get proper advice.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

' In a way I think as seasoned Caggers & from our own experiences of these creatures it has risen our expectations a little too high as to what we would have liked this program to have been. To the ordinary 'man in the street' who has little or no knowledge of them the program would have a stronger impact.'

* Yes, very valid point. I think we should get a few of us together to come up with our own programme content. I used to work in the TV industry and could run the final draft via a few poeple whom might be willing to fully commision such.

Just a thought ....?

'but dont you think there was nothing on advising these people of their rights i.e CCA or other ways to get rid of these bullies !'

Yes, my whole point about putting together a programme to put this side of things clearly and to also get the OFT and other accountable figures put on the spot to answer for their apparent reluctance to act/compel ?

there are a good few on here who know the laws well enough for us to really throw a documentary together with not just teeth but talons shapr enough to decapitate !!

1) 1st Credit ;

2) Cabot ;

3) Mackensie Hall

.... and in this order, ideally.

I still feel that, apart from ensuring that the actualy rights of the individuals are expressed properly and accurately so as to help them understand their correct positions, the main focus must be on pressing the regulatory bodies for their constant failures to enforce their own rules and guidelines ?

1) 1st Credit ;

2) Cabot ;

3) Mackensie Hall

.... and in this order, ideally.

I still feel that, apart from ensuring that the actualy rights of the individuals are expressed properly and accurately so as to help them understand their correct positions, the main focus must be on pressing the regulatory bodies for their constant failures to enforce their own rules and guidelines ?

The OFT is appearing to move if rather slowly. It's like a glacier ;)

I did not expect anthing else,i feel the public has been let down,we have all this information on this site and people are worried by Debts over six years ,if only they was told !

The DCA's have bullied the every day person for too long, just the same as the banks, and credit card agencies,i would not have known myself if it was not for this forum !!

Somebody on this site must want to make a reply to the dispatches programme tonight,just to involve ,the problems DCA's have with "statued barred" , no CCA or any other problem.

Lets stop this bullying tactic now,lets help everybody that does not know that the DCA's have no power !

Edited by littlefatbudha

Well, Babybear ...

Would need to get the real knowledgeable heads together from this site via PM setup.

I think the intro would bring in the three main offenders listed above. Get a few individuals to give condensed versions of their gripes with said companies. Then for us to approach their experiences with the correct legal positions and then contrast this against what has happened at the hands of the DCAs involved. Then immediately on to the regulatory bodies for comment. Thereafter, perhaps further press them about percieved lack of action.

Lastly mention this site along with a couple of others out there where viewers can obtain potentially helpful advice, subject to disclaimers, blah, blah, blah ...

Just a rought outline, of course.

Roger Cook would have been the man for the job!

Totally agree and mentioned it in the other Dispatches thread on here.

My views on this program are mixed and have to admit I had never heard of Marlin beforehand. It was a little tame and not clear on the statute barred quote. It did show a little insight into how most DCA's work and cemented my views on their wrong doings.

I think the C4 team that put this program together will see what is happening on this forum and other sites willing to help people when they really have no where else to turn. The way Marlin acted in the undercover scenes was against guidelines set out but in my own experience I have had a lot worse with the likes of HFO Services.

Some phone calls from these idiots resulted in actually threatening me with big blokes coming round to empty my house then rough me up afterwards! Obviously your girlfriend who answers the phone gets upset.

I found help on this forum, found out it was already statute barred then the threatening phone calls 12 times day stopped after sending them a letter.

I think the OFT should take the complaints more seriously and start shutting the unlawful DCA's down.

Hopefully things will get better and more program producers will see this forum, join then see the views of the 1,000's of threads where DCA's have gone against the guidelines. They would only need 10 minutes browsing to see what is actually going off in the debt collection industry. Take the the taped telephone conversations that many caggers have and hear how people are treated down the phone.

So lets have a follow up based on this forum!!

just emailed the oft the following, see if i get a response

Good Morning

I watched with what can only be described as outright disgust that a firm of Debt Collectors called Marlins can be allowed to get away with such contempt of the guidelines and legalities laid down to govern this industry.

I also noticed with dismay that the OFT either were not approached to comment of these practices or if they were approached did not deem it their responsibility to address the points/issues raised.

I would hope that someone within the OFT will be contacting Marlins and discusing with them the obvious lack of any kind control over their staff, in particular the person (Mark) showed such distain to the people he was dealing with.

Also can you please explain how an employee of one company can then answer the phone under the guise of another, i.e. a Marlins Debt collection agent suddenly becoming a Solicitor for Sechiari Clarke and Mitchell?

I hope that you will sit up and take notice of how this industry is being run and do not as was said last night "show your teeth but not bite" but actually take these firms to task

Nice to see you emailed them too - I sent the following straight after the programme:

I feel I should write with what can only be described as disdain for the OFT. The Channel 4 programme which featured Marlin Financial Services clearly showed many breaches in the OFT guidelines on Debt Collection and Good Business Practice. One particular employee (Mark) was a disgrace - and may I add that his behaviour is in no way limited to just him. Many DCA's behave in exactly the same way. Threats of bankruptcy (even when they use the words "may" or "looking at") are distressing and Marlin clearly use the threat in order to gain payment.

One instance shown in the programme was the "advisor" asking for a £100 downpayment from a woman who was on disability allowance (as was her husband). If she failed to pay, then further action could be taken - how can the OFT sit by and watch this happen?

Can you explain how Marlin are allowed to use THREE different trading names in order to pursue debts? This is a clear breach of OFT guidance as it's a tactic used to mislead. It is merely an intimidation procedure to make the problem look as if it has escalated further than what it has.

Why did the OFT themselves offer no input into the programme? There is now documented evidence of the tactics used in the DCA industry. It's about time the OFT followed their guidance, and started fining those companies that are in breach of any guidelines. The mere threat of a fine does not seem enough.

Regards.

' The other thing of course is that perhaps we should be putting pressure on the OFT to take action. If we make complaints to the OFT and they don't take enforcement action potentially we can challenge the decision in the High Court through judicial review proceedings.'

Well, this is the very focus that I have suggested for the follow programme to the dispatches airing. With a new programme just briefly focusing on the other real **** of the division ( you know : 1st Credit, Cabot and Mackenzie Hall ), with a few examples from disgruntled and victimised souls, then swiftly move the spotlight over to the regulatory authorities and push the issue of inertia and failure to act. Explore their actual powers under said guidelines and ruiles and get those at the top end to answer for the woefully shameful levels of inaction ?

I will be putting a lot more thought into a structure to present this - last night when I proposed this, I was 'on my last legs' and couldn;t remember what came after the letter A in the alphabet.

Will need lots of input from the legal eagles on this site, though, to make a real hard-hitting and to the point documentary that will have those accountable for actions and impositions literally quacking in their officious lil boots !!

forumbox_top_left.gifforumbox_top_tile.gifforumbox_top_right.gifforumbox_left_tile.gifclose.gif OFT action against 1st Credit Follow this link to see the action which the OFT has taken against 1st Credit

forumbox_right_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_left.gifforumbox_bottom_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_right.gif

Guest Alison82

Wouldn't it be great if there systems crashed and they lost their database and details/debts!!!

Note, I'm just saying this a joke, i'm not being serious, incase anyone wasnts to sue me