Can you change your name to escape debt?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well it would be very hard for them to be sure if they got the right man if I changed my name to John Smith. That would create quite a kite if I moved afterwards without telling anyone. Two thousand John Smiths would probably pay up in the believe it was them. Nice profit though.

If my post helped you feel better, click my scales.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you change your name with the specific and 'provable' intention of evading your creditors you could be accused of theft & or fraud. On the other hand if you change your name to say Wee Willy Winky you can hardly be accused of deliberately avoiding anyone:D

If you change your name with the specific and 'provable' intention of evading your creditors you could be accused of theft & or fraud

How can they prove it though?? :confused:

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum

The great thing is to know when to speak and when to keep quiet.

(Seneca the Younger (attributed), Proverbs, 74)

Speech is given to many; intelligence to few - but if its well said, I said it!

:p

If a person leaves their last known address WITHOUT leaving a forwarding one & fail to notify them without a very good excuse then I suspect that may be prima facie grounds for charging a person with theft or fraud

Do you mean if they dont leave a forwarding address & also not notifying their change of name?

How is it theft? I can understand fraud, but theft - Oh is it cos your trying to avoid paying for something?

Methinks dumbo here has answered her own question :oops:

If a person leaves their last known address WITHOUT leaving a forwarding one & fail to notify them without a very good excuse then I suspect that may be prima facie grounds for charging a person with theft or fraud

Mmm,

Do you write letters for CRAs?

They 'may' take you to court etc?

My understanding is that the only people who HAVE to be informed of a change of address are the DVLA. Could be wrong though.

GK

I've got the same problem - I double-barrelled my name with my partner's, but I also use my old name for several accounts that are included in my DMP (a Littlewoods account and an old NatWest account) and I have 2 accounts with the Leeds Losers - Im reluctant to send them my deed poll for various reasons (one being it has my real signature on it :p) so I;ve got 2 names on my CRA records which they wont put right!! I changed it by usage last year and officially this year but most of my defaulted accounts are in my new name, so quite often I have to think before giving my name to anyone as I often dont know which name I have used!!! :oops:

I agree wholeheartedly, but, I am gradually changing all my 'good' accounts to my 'new' name and hopefully the problems in my 'old' name will drop off soon. I know what you mean about thinking as all my documentation is in my 'new' name and I have nothing to prove my old name:|:|

Well it would be very hard for them to be sure if they got the right man if I changed my name to John Smith. That would create quite a kite if I moved afterwards without telling anyone. Two thousand John Smiths would probably pay up in the believe it was them. Nice profit though.

:mad:Not as hard as you might think:mad:

Mmm,

My understanding is that the only people who HAVE to be informed of a change of address are the DVLA. Could be wrong though.

GK

Ha ha you'd think so wouldnt you?

Ive just had an overpayment of benefit appeal overturned because i didnt let the DSS know i had changed my address 6 yrs ago and i wasnt even on benefits

So be warned

I think my view is that if you owe some one, you should make a fair go of it to pay or settle. I can not live with the fact that I used the money or services and can not pay my way. I also think that if the other party have done osme thing they should not have then you should tell them and try to solve the way forward. I know we are dealing with debt companies but we as human with the concious.

Its God's gift Please Save The Earth.

If you had ever been helped by this site and satisfied than by Donating This site is just simply helping others too, who are really in need. Please make a donation.

Helping someone in need is God,s blessing

Mmm,

GK

Correct the only legal requirement is to inform the DVLA However if you do move address AND change your name at the same time & stop paying that could be construed as fraud

without a very good excuse then I suspect that may be prima facie grounds

Legal term. What does Prima Facie mean?

Edited by overdone
typo

If my post helped you feel better, click my scales.

okay lots of silly answers and I do not agree with changing your name to avoid debt, best plan is to face it full on and back the DCA into a corner with a CCA.

Much more fun.

Anything, that changes your name is going to flag, banks are not stupid. Actually, they are, but not that stupid.

However, it can be done and it probably is fraud. You will need proof of address and proof Identity, I like this site too much to explain how to obtain proof of ID, but to obtain adress. Banks require sound electoral history with prefer good credit history or at worst none. If you have none then good salary, long term employment, owning home will help.

So essentially, you add a new name to electoral register for 3 years obtain ID open bank account and away you go. Obviously, adding a name to the electoral register could land you in prison and if you live alone will increase your council tax bill.

So CCA them instead and you need never change your name

We live in an unmoderated country why should the net be any different?

Bring back free speech we miss it!

if you live alone will increase your council tax bill.

How can that be true? I live alone and I get a single person's discount on my council tax bill.

How can that be true? I live alone and I get a single person's discount on my council tax bill.

think about man........think about it!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

put him out of his misery;)

You live at the address, but then you make out Gordon Brown lives with you, then in a couple of years you change your name to Gordon Brown who has lived at your addy for a couple of years and away you go. Totally illegal i would imagine, but what isnt these days!!

You of course lose your single person discount because "Gordon" lives with you.

Advice & opinions given by spartathisis are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.:)

Oh! Heapo big misunderstanding - sorry, now I get it! :oops: - although I'd never advocate it

- and er... Im a woman!

Subbing, to a very interesting thread!

IMHO, why can't you just change your name by deed poll, then apply for a passport in your new name, showing them the deed poll certificate, then open a bank account with your new passport as ID:confused:

You then move property, in your new name?

Or is that too easy, or am I missing a point?:confused::confused:8-)8-)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks