British Passport palava - HELP!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4792 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Sorry for this post as it has been a while since I posted last. My Question is simple. I am trying to get a first british passport for my little girl but on the application form, I need to get some one of some authority to attest or vouach the photograph picture of my little girl.

I Have been to see a local high street lawyer and they want to charge about £60-£100 just for a signature and an official stamp. I think this is excessive and was wondering what is the best way to get this done, even for free if possible. Surely there must be a way out of this.

Can my local GP or my local police station not be okay for this, all that is needed really is some one to vouch for the passport and photograph of my little girl. What of my local magistrate court, can they do it for me.

Any idea or suggesions from any one will be appreciated indeed.

Thanks all. :confused:

:o :o :lol: :D :D

More Power to the PEOPEL!! LONG LIVE the CAG!!!

Is she of school age ?

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Countersignatories

When you have completed the form, someone who has known you personally for at least two years should complete and sign Section 10. That person should be a British Citizen, other British national or Commonwealth citizen who is a member of Parliament, Justice of the Peace, Minister of Religion, Bank Officer, Established Civil Servant, or professionally qualified person, e.g. Lawyer, Engineer, Doctor, School Teacher, Police Officer or a person of similar standing. Procedures include a check on the authenticity of the countersignatories.

If you do not know a British national or other Commonwealth citizen locally with these qualifications, a citizen of the country in which you are residing may complete and sign the form, provided he/she has a similar standing in that country and has known you for two years and the Consul considers his/her signature to be acceptable. A member of your family should not countersign. In certain cases you may be asked to produce further documentary evidence of identity.

Your application must include two photographs (see above). One of the two photographs should be signed by the same person who countersigns the application form. He/she must write on the back of the photograph the words:

“I certify that this is a true likeness of…………….”

And add his/her signature and the date.

Please stick the unsigned photograph onto the box marked "official use only" on the back page of the application form, as this will be scanned onto your new passport.

Hope that is of some help.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Hi,

it is unlikely the local police will do this, as otherwise they would be inundated with people wanting this service

GP would likely do it, but as with the lawyer would charge (though doubt it would be as much!)

You could get anyone you know that runs a limited company (and is therefore classed as a companny director) to sign the photo, but bear in mind in this situation they would need to have known you (not neccessarily your child) for not less than two years

(I have countersigned a few times myself)

Another idea would be a member of the armed forces?

The way it is worded on the IPS website, I would imagine that even the doctor would need to have known you for 2 years

See HERE

From personal experience working with (not for) IPS, be very careful and pay attention to how you fill the form out and the quality of the photo (size of the face in the pic, etc)

Worth taking it in to the post office and paying extra for the check and send service if you want a double check to prevent delays

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

To be honest, providing you use someone (unrelated) who holds a current British Passport and is not of dubious character then I think you should be ok.

The new photo requirements are an absolute nightmare so make sure you get these right, especially with a little one!!

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

School teachers, librarians, your Housing officer if you have one, JP (magistrate), social worker (any Civil Servant or Local Govt employee) anyone who holds a professional qualification such as an architect, a kawyer, a GP, a nurse and so on. If your child is pre-school age, how about your health visitor or your midwife?

Your best bet is your doctor and I reckon they'll charge about £15.

I don't charge, I just grumble and sign on the dotted line!

The important it now is that the person who signs must KNOW the mother, and have done so for TWO years. They are also required to supply their OWN passport number as a cross reference, and these days it is quite likely that they will check. The daughter will also be required to go for a first passport interview (with her mother), where the paperwork will be gone through.

We just did one for our son. We used the post offices check and send. We were not asked to attend an interview and according to a friend who works for IPS its very unlikely a child ( under 16 ) would be called for an interview.

As for the countersign: Our Doctor charges £20 for it but we were lucky. We had a friend own a Limited company do it.The passport came in a week.

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales

The important it now is that the person who signs must KNOW the mother, and have done so for TWO years. They are also required to supply their OWN passport number as a cross reference, and these days it is quite likely that they will check. The daughter will also be required to go for a first passport interview (with her mother), where the paperwork will be gone through.

Buz,

interview is for the first ADULT passport only (16+)

See HERE

As said above, its reasonably unlikely as it relies on IPS having enough resource (which of course makes something of a mockkery of the whole thing)

As also said above, I re iterate the person signing the photo's/countersigning must have know the parent for at least 2 years

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

They appear to e advancing the minimum age, as a neighbour's child (aged 15) was called for an interview. If he had applied for a first passport earlier, he would have avoided this additional hurdle, as anyone upgrading from a child to an adult passport will avoid the call.

I believe its 14 now from what I read when I applied for mine last month. I got my councillor to do it (but then I know him well). Do you not have any professionals in your collection of friends?

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Another useful group of people are nurses - I had my re-application countersigned by a colleague from work (we are both registered nurses) and I know other colleagues have performed this service for non-related friends.

Feebee_71

• 1 year later...

i paid at the post office for check and send complete waste of money passport office wrote back saying photo was to dark i am black! am i meant to now get some bleaching cream it took micheal jackson over 10 years to turn white. i am meant to be going on holiday in 2 months, the post office initialy said my photo was fine, i went back to the post office who could not give me an answer, i then got new photos i handed them to the post office who couldnt tell me if the new photos would be ok what shall i do? use talcing powder! if i was caucassion i would not have this problem the goverment wants the foreigners to go home well if they cant get a passport it is not going to happen! help what shall i do?