• Tweets

• Excellent news! Thread title updated. Please do consider a donation in light of the help received here. The help we give is free, but try telling that to our server hosts!
    • Hello dx100uk, After months of waiting for a response I finally got a reply and I must say it was the worst 4 months of my life the - fear of the unknown. So, they wrote back and said I was in the wrong BUT on this occasion they  would not take action but keep me on file for the next 12 months. It. was the biggest relief of my life a massive weight lifted -  I would like to thank you and the team for all your support
    • I have contacted the sofa shop who are sending someone out tomorrow to inspect the furniture. I suspect if anything a replacement will be offered although I would prefer a refund. Few photos of the wear in the material, this is how it was delivered.  
    • Yup, for goodness sake she needs to stop paying right now, DCA's are powerless, as .  Is it showing on their credit file? Best to use Check my file. All of the above advice is excellent, definitely SAR the loan company as soon as possible.
    • Hi all, I am wandering if this is appealable. It has already been through a challenge on the Islington website and the it was rejected. Basically there was a suspended bay sign on a post on Gee st which was obscured by a Pizza van. The suspension was for 3 bays outside 47 Gee st. I parked outside/between 47 & 55 Gee st. I paid via the phone system using a sign a few meters away from my car. When I got back to the car there was a PCN stuck to the windscreen which I had to dry out before I could read it due to rain getting into the plastic sticky holder.  I then appealed using the Islington website which was then rejected the next day. I have attached a pdf of images that I took and also which the parking officer took. There are two spaces in front of the van, one of which had a generator on it the other was a disabled space. I would count those as 3 bays? In the first image circled in red is the parking sign I read. In the 2nd image is the suspension notice obscured by the van. I would have had to stand in the middle of the road to read this, in fact that's where I was standing when I took the photo. I have pasted the appeal and rejection below. Many thanks for looking. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This is my appeal statement: As you can see from the image attached (image 1) I actually paid £18.50 to park my car in Gee st. I parked the car at what I thought was outside 55 Gee st as seen in image 2 attached. When I read the PCN issued it stated there was a parking suspension. There was no suspension notice on the sign that I used to call the payment service outside number 55 Gee st. I looked for a suspension notice and eventually found one which was obscured by a large van and generator parked outside 47 Gee st. As seen in images 3 and 4 attached. I am guessing the parking suspension was to allow the Van to park and sell Pizza during the Clerkenwell design week. I was not obstructing the use or parking of the van, in fact the van was obstructing the suspension notice which meant I could not read or see it without prior knowledge it was there. I would have had to stand in the road to see it endangering myself as I had to to take images to illustrate the hidden notice. As there was no intention to avoid a parking charge and the fact the sign was not easily visible I would hope this challenge can be accepted. Many thanks.   This is the text from the rejection: Thank you for contacting us about the above Penalty Charge Notice (PCN). The PCN was issued because the vehicle was parked in a suspended bay or space. I note from your correspondence that there was no suspension notice on the sign that you used to call the payment serve outside number 55 Gee Street. I acknowledge your comments, however, your vehicle was parked in a bay which had been suspended. The regulations require the suspension warning to be clearly visible. It is a large bright yellow sign and is erected by the parking bay on the nearest parking plate to the area that is to be suspended. Parking is then not permitted in the bay for any reason or period of time, however brief. The signs relating to this suspension were sited in accordance with the regulations. Upon reviewing the Civil Enforcement Officer's (CEO's) images and notes, I am satisfied that sufficient signage was in place and that it meets statutory requirements. Whilst I note that the signage may have been obstructed by a large van and generator at the time, please note, it is the responsibility of the motorist to locate and check the time plate each time they park. This will ensure that any changes to the status of the bay are noted. I acknowledge that your vehicle possessed a RingGo session at the time, however, this does not authorize parking within a suspended bay. Suspension restrictions are established to facilitate specific activities like filming or construction, therefore, we anticipate the vehicle owner to relocate the vehicle from the suspended area until the specified date and time when the suspension concludes. Leaving a vehicle unattended for any period of time within a suspended bay, effectively renders the vehicle parked in contravention and a Civil Enforcement Officer (CEO) may issue a PCN. Finally, the vehicle was left parked approximately 5 metres away from the closest time plate notice. It is the responsibility of the driver to ensure they park in a suitable parking place and check all signs and road markings prior to leaving their vehicle parked in contravention. It remains the driver's responsibility to ensure that the vehicle is parked legally at all times. With that being said, I would have to inform you, your appeal has been rejected at this stage. Please see the below images as taken by the CEO whilst issuing the PCN: You should now choose one of the following options: Pay the penalty charge. We will accept the discounted amount of £65.00 in settlement of this matter, provided it is received by 10 June 2024. After that date, the full penalty charge of £130.00 will be payable. Or Wait for a Notice to Owner (NtO) to be issued to the registered keeper of the vehicle, who is legally responsible for paying the penalty charge. Any further correspondence received prior to the NtO being issued may not be responded to. The NtO gives the recipient the right to make formal representations against the penalty charge. If we reject those representations, there will be the right of appeal to the Environment and Traffic Adjudicator.   Gee st pdf.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

What if the Judge asks..................... ....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4538 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Due to ethics and job safety, I must be very careful with what I write, so please don't ask me for specifics about the case, I can't answer.

At a Court up North today, a Defendant (rep'd by a public charity) had a set aside application heard. He had been served with a stat demand by a solicitor's firm acting for a debt purchaser. The District Judge, of her own volition, agreed to hear a set-aside for the judgment first (today), with the SD set-aside to be heard later this month.

The Defendant had been a bit stupid (he'd not looked on here until a LOT later) and sent in an admission to the claim form - but sent it to the Claimant and not the Court. The Claimant, being a bit desperate, sent in request for judgment before the admission was received - so a default was entered. After nasty threatograms the Defendant very stupidly wrote letters to the Claimant admitting the debt a few times. Then starting paying £10/m. Judgment was entered in March 08.

Due to payments of £10/m on a debt in the region of £4,500 - £6,000, a charge was placed on the Defendant's property by the Claimant. Then more threatograms.

Eventually, the Defendant must have found CAG and started sending in CCA requests - 8 MONTHS AFTER JUDGMENT WAS ENTERED, which were all ignored. A Stat demand was served on the Defendant. The Defendant applied for a set-aside, and the hearing was set.

Now, evidence was an admission form, letters admitting the debt AND payments made towards the debt.

Guess what the good old judge said today?

The JUdge adjourned the hearing for 1 month, with AN ORDER that the Claimant provide the Court & Defendant with a valid CCA compliant agreement for the debt within 14 days. And we all know what that means? The judge has said that the judgment will not be up-held if an enforceable agreement is not produced - THIS IS ONE YEAR AFTER JUDGMENT WAS ENTERED.

The Judge did not say "Did you borrow the money" or "Do you owe it" - because the Defendant provided the Curt with letters acknowledging the debt. The Judge did say though that if a valid agreement is produced s/he will have to find that the Judgment is valid and costs etc will be awarded. Then the set-aside for the SD would be heard.

But, do you think that the debt purchaser (not the original creditor) will be able to provide a CCA compliant agreement in 14 days? They admitted they didn't have one at the hearing and had not sought it because the CCA request was made after judgment was entered. The Claimant solicitor who attended also gave the Court a copy of Rankine. The judge was not at all interested.

So, I thought I'd share. I will, of course, try and persuade someone to seek a copy of the transcript if the Claimant losses to post on here.

Now you know the answer - the judge will not ask, because it isn't at all relevant.

As I said - don't ask specifics, I won't answer - in fact I could probably get sacked and sued just by putting this on - but this could not be a better boost for people who are suffering. Have faith demand a CCA compliant agreement and do not give up.

• Haha 1

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I'll clarify in case people lose the point of what I said

The judge did not care AT ALL whether this Defendant received the money, because he had admitted that he had received it and believed that he owed it (he even signed the admission to the claim form) the Judge was only interested in whether it was an enforceable debt and could the Claimant prove that!!!

Well it is in case law that if an agreement cannot be produced the courts can only look at it as a gift

And furthermore if the POC states the cca 1974 then that is the act the court must follow.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

the point im making is if the cca 1974 is not mentioned in the poc it makes it easier for the judge to rule on the moral issue where as if the cca is mentioned on the poc you can bring that to the judges attension that the law stands in the case

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

For the moral argument, i always think of this

1.In the case of Dimond v Lovell [2000] UKHL 27, Lord Hoffmann said , at page 1131:-

“Parliament intended that if a consumer credit agreement was improperly executed, then subject to the enforcement powers of the court, the debtor should not have to pay.”

2.Sir Andrew Morritt, Vice Chancellor in Wilson v First County Trust Ltd [2001] EWCA Civ 633 said at para 26 that in the case of an unenforceable agreement:-

“The creditor must…be taken to have made a voluntary disposition, or gift, of the loan monies to the debtor. The creditor had chosen to part with the monies in circumstances in which it was never entitled to have them repaid;”

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

subbing ! excellant thread!:)

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

firstly i am not sure how the claimant got a charging order on the basis that 10 per month was being paid on a 4500 debts!

the only way surely that they would get a charging order was if the ddefendant agreede to it or the defendan t failed to make the 10 monthly payments

secondly from this post one could therefore come up with the correct reply to the question did you owe/borrow/spend the money by stating

sir, It may well be the case that i did owe/borrow/spend the money or some of the money but with respect the purpose of this hearing is to determine whether , under sect blah blah of the CCA the court has authority to enforce the debt and my submission is that because the agreement is not executed by virtue of blah blah under blah blah under xection blah blah then the court has no authority to enforce the debt and i respectfully request that the court find in my favour

Well after a good nights sleep.

Did you used the credit card/borrow the money

why on earth do think i am seating here behind a forest of paper work which

if you had the time to read and judge or could possible understand.

Well it does make you wonderhttp://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Well after a good nights sleep.

Did you used the credit card/borrow the money

why on earth do think i am seating here behind a forest of paper work which

if you had the time to read and judge or could possible understand.

Well it does make you wonderhttp://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Sorry but I don't understand the point you were making?

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain.

- This quote has been attributed to Mark Twain

I cannot be sure sir as I owe lots to several companies and I've had several companies chasing the same debt on more than one occasion. It's a job to know who I owe the money to, that's why I requested the appropiate paperwork.

Excellent response!

Redletter

'I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires!'

Indeed Redletter, 2foot's response is an excellent one to a simple question raised by HAK.

The answer is also simple but if not given correctly, can end in disaster. But why is thia simple question asked in the first place might be a more appropriate question.

As Barclaysbunny points out, a good district judge will look for justice in applying the law and won't need to ask the question. In these cases, justice will prevail if the law is applied correctly. Problem of course is that the law isn't applied correctly.

There are various resons why this happens. I suggest that often it is because judges are ignorant of the law and don't want to admit their failing. They are also overburdened with work and may not be able to cope or of course, like the rest of us, they want an easy life so they can get on the golf course!

A defendant who is a Litigant in Person may also be part of the problem by quoting from the Act and case law without understanding what is being said. They may have taken a 'kitchen sink' approach ie they have put everything into the defence including the kitchen sink whether it is appropriate or not.

Going back to the original question which was 'Well, Mr defendant, do you owe the money?' The truthful and correct answer to the judge in court is 'Legally, sir [or madam], NO.'

Do not say anything else. Do not say 'Yes, but....' or 'Morally, yes...'. You are in the lowest civil court in the land. Keep the answer legal, not moral. If the judge says 'well, morally, you owe the money, don't you?' the answer again is simply 'Legally, sir [or madam], NO.' If the judge carries on with 'Well, you signed for goods and services and now have to pay, tha answer again is 'Legally, sir [or madam], NO.' [if the agreement is not enforceable, you merely accepted a GIFT from the bank or card company - see the case quoted above]. If the judge takes the 'moral' high ground and says you should pay back what you have had, the answer again is 'Legally, sir [or madam], NO.' [see the quote from Lord Hoffman in the Diamond case above].

What I am saying is force the judge back to the law. That is all you have and it is in your favour. Just try to understand the law by reading relevant threads and stand your ground.

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

As Barclaysbunny points out, a good district judge will look for justice in applying the law and won't need to ask the question. In these cases, justice will prevail if the law is applied correctly. Problem of course is that the law isn't applied correctly.

I don't agree with this. I think the whole issue folk have is that the judges seek to enforce their idea of justice and to be honest, if the roles were reversed we would all agree with them.

The view of what is defined as justice for a debtor is coloured in many ways by the conduct of the creditors in their pursuit of the debts. I doubt anyone here denies that if you borrowed the money you should pay it back. It is the conduct of the pursuer when they they seek the payment back that that then alters folks' general intent. The judge does not see the dca conduct and so acts impartially and decides the case on one overwhelming principle - if you borrowed it, you pay it back.

If we change places with the creditors we would also agree. We'd like to believe that we'd be a little more understanding about it if pursuing for a debt owed to us, and would ensure that we complied with all relevant statute and guidance. To be honest, when I was involved in a case pursuing an ex housemate for money owed I didn't. They went out of their way to screw us so we used every tool we had to try and recover the cash. It is amazing how emotion will effect the recovery process and proscribe your tactics. Does anyone here not really relish the idea of really taking a bank to the cleaners over charges and throwing everything they can at them?

This is just a symptom of the debtor creditor relationship; if you personalise it then you personalise the money and it becomes yours. This is why I don't subscribe to the wind-up-the-dca strategy when it is not necessary (note: sometimes it is). I don't think it is beneficial in the long run.

If anyone disagrees with me then firstly I don't believe you, and secondly, can you lend me a grand for a new fridge? I promise I'll pay you back. Promise!

Imagine that you leant money to a friend or relative and then they refused to pay it back to you. Would you want the courts to reject your claim on a technicality or award in your favour?

I'm not deliberately trying to attract flaming and criticism for this stance, but what I am trying to do is explain the rationale behind the judges thoughts and his decision making process. This needs to be understood to figure out why this type of question might be asked and how to answer it, although TF has nailed the answer above.

The judges are following the above thougt processes - what if this was my money? They are empathising with the creditor. It is because of this that it is fatal to a claim to upset the judge, you need them to empathise with you, not with the creditor. It is not about insisting that the judge rule on the principles of natural justice, or lecturing them about statute, but attempting to get them to side with you and to show them that the creditor's conduct is contrary to the principles of natural justice and that this is why they should look in detail at the technicalities - to find a reason to say no to them. This is the presumption you need to start with - you have probably lost the case when you start because of the default position of they judge (or any normal person) and you need to turn this around.

These cases are not about the law, but about presentation, people skills, and salesmanship.