Middle Lane Drivers

dandoogle
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5287 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When it's busy though - is it OK to stay in the middle lane? I'm sorry this is really bad but I've never read the highway code! When its empty I'm always in the fast lane or the slow lane, but sometimes going down the M25 when it's busy it's more like an american freeway where cars are all in their respective lanes going around about the same speed - is it OK to be in the middle lane in this situation?

Why would you be in the 'fast' lane when the motorway is empty :confused:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets put up this scenario for a debate

1. M Way is virtually empty, so proceed in Inside lane at just under/ on 70, if safe to do so. Overtake a lorry using 2nd lane and then return to 70 in inside lane Perfectly safe and legal and considerate so why sit in the outside lane if the rest of the road is clear?

Many years ago when Tony Blackburn was the top dj on Radio 1 (and I used to listen to it), he was doing his Christmas day programme. On the hand over with the dj before him, he was asked 'you got here ok then' and his reply I have never forgotten, "yep, I came down the M1, very quiet, I only saw 3 cars and they were all in the middle lane".

Moral, even then it happened and others were aware of it.

They were no different in 1959

m1.jpg

Why bother driving at all?

I was on a dual carriageway tonight and right lane filters in to one The idiot in the right hand lane tried to force me off the road instead of slowing down.

One of those speed indicators ..don't know what they are called but are 'din fart' in Danish, told me to slow down when I was doing less than 30 mph because I was turning.

I tried to cross the road to take my daughter to school this morning and had to squeeze between cars that belonged to Keep Clear. I assume that's their name as it seems to be the same drivers that think it's their own personal parking space.

Grrr.......

Many years ago when Tony Blackburn was the top dj on Radio 1 (and I used to listen to it), he was doing his Christmas day programme. On the hand over with the dj before him, he was asked 'you got here ok then' and his reply I have never forgotten, "yep, I came down the M1, very quiet, I only saw 3 cars and they were all in the middle lane".

Moral, even then it happened and others were aware of it.

They were no different in 1959

m1.jpg

Perhaps the thinking is that should a hazard emerge you have the option of left or right. Ok you have the same on the inside lane but it's drummed in not to use the hard shoulder unless it's a dire emergency.

Perhaps the thinking is that should a hazard emerge you have the option of left or right

If you are in the middle lane you have to be concentrating on possible hazards 'emerging' from both left and right though. I find it the most stressful lane to be in from the point of having to watch what other drivers are doing.

If you are in the middle lane you have to be concentrating on possible hazards 'emerging' from both left and right though. I find it the most stressful lane to be in from the point of having to watch what other drivers are doing.

Good point! And one which I agree with! :)

In theory you are correct and that is how it should be.

In practice most of the drivers I see plodding along in the middle lane are only concerned with what is happening in front. Thats why they are so dangerous and their lack of consideration for other road users is frustrating and causes other drivers to do things they would not normally do. Like undertaking or going from lane 1 to lane 3 and back again.

The plonker in the middle lane (if they notice) then says 'look at that idiot'

Pedross

In theory you are correct and that is how it should be.

In practice most of the drivers I see plodding along in the middle lane are only concerned with what is happening in front. Thats why they are so dangerous and their lack of consideration for other road users is frustrating and causes other drivers to do things they would not normally do. Like undertaking or going from lane 1 to lane 3 and back again.

The plonker in the middle lane (if they notice) then says 'look at that idiot'

Pedross

Again a very valid point! MLD are oblivious to other vehicles around them. It is sooo frusrating and tempts you to perform manoeuvers that would not be necessary if they were less selfish, less arrogant and more aware of other drivers. :-x

Some drivers just don't care. Get used to it.

Flamin woman today decided to pull out with no indicators after parking on the Keep Clear signs outside a school, as she does. No disability just stupid arrogance, sucking her teeth if anyone dares look at her to disprove. She treats it as her personal parking space. I hit the horn to warn her and she followed me down the road hitting her horn non stop. I stopped my car, got out and she drove on the pavement to get away.

I can't wait to see her again, same time and same place. And yes I will be doing the policing in that case as no one else seems bothered and it's an accident waiting to happen.

Well done you! Just don't get sucked into doing something that gets you more attention from the police than her.

It would be a tragedy if you got pulled up for trying to show her the error of her ways.

She'll use the race card as an arguement and shout more obscene words. I'll use the common sense and safe for all one. I've taken my children to that school for over 14 years and never once have I had to park on yellow lines.

She is just an idle idiot that has tinted windows that she can't see through front and back.

She'll have a shock tomorrow..but not one that lands me in hot water.:D

Are we the only people still on here at this ungodly hour?

I'll be waiting in eager anticipation for news of the outcome of your conversations with this person,you haven't said but it wouldn't be a 4x4 by any chance?

She'll use the race card as an arguement and shout more obscene words. I'll use the common sense and safe for all one. I've taken my children to that school for over 14 years and never once have I had to park on yellow lines.

She is just an idle idiot that has tinted windows that she can't see through front and back.

She'll have a shock tomorrow..but not one that lands me in hot water.:D

Crapstone,

Had a similar situation when my youngest was at primary school and I mentioned it to the school headmaster as you have said 'its an accident waiting to happen'. They rang the polioce who waited for this person and give em a ticket. That may sound harsh but what would be harsher is if a kid got killed because of someone's laziness

Exasp

Are we the only people still on here at this ungodly hour?

I'll be waiting in eager anticipation for news of the outcome of your conversations with this person,you haven't said but it wouldn't be a 4x4 by any chance?

Lol... I'm the one driving the 4x4, which isn't a gas guzzler version. The offending car is a Hyundai SE Coupe.

'Lady' turned up, same place but later than usual. Putting off the plan of action until Friday. Some things are better served cold and very calculated. I've spoken to a few people and they are as annoyed as I am by her disregard for anyone other than herself and her own children.

It's a sign I'm getting old..I plan things instead of rushing in and making mistakes.

Crapstone,

Had a similar situation when my youngest was at primary school and I mentioned it to the school headmaster as you have said 'its an accident waiting to happen'. They rang the polioce who waited for this person and give em a ticket. That may sound harsh but what would be harsher is if a kid got killed because of someone's laziness

Exasp

If we wait for a cop or a traffic warden to act we will be waiting a long time. They stand there and are a prevention and not the cure. They should make themselves less obvious and start handing the tickets out swiftly. No discussions or clock watching.

Better still give the authority to parents, as wardens, with the ability to ticket and as volunteers. If it works for councils that allow portable speed cameras and self-policing to deter, then the same should work for parking laws.

If plan A doesn't work ..plan B will ...and there is always plan C to fall back on. Reminds me ..my bat. needs replacing ..either that or it's the alter. or leads. Must get it checked out.

Lol... I'm the one driving the 4x4, which isn't a gas guzzler version. The offending car is a Hyundai SE Coupe.

That's a surprise, the Hyundai is a nice enough car, but not exactly standard school run material, at least no around here.

Shame you couldn't confront her today but never mind, her time will come. You might want to try the local paper with this story. In Glasgow, the Evening Times carried out a campaign of photographing, naming and shaming drivers who parked on the zig zags outside schools.

The paper was threatened with legal action if they published and the photographer was threatened with violence by several angry parents, including some women (!). Undeterred the pictures appeared daily over about 12 weeks with different schools being targeted each time.

The headmasters were hugely supportive and the scheme was a great success but it was amazing how arrogant the drivers were considering they were clearly in the wrong.

Fingers crossed!

That's a surprise, the Hyundai is a nice enough car, but not exactly standard school run material, at least no around here.

Shame you couldn't confront her today but never mind, her time will come. You might want to try the local paper with this story. In Glasgow, the Evening Times carried out a campaign of photographing, naming and shaming drivers who parked on the zig zags outside schools.

The paper was threatened with legal action if they published and the photographer was threatened with violence by several angry parents, including some women (!). Undeterred the pictures appeared daily over about 12 weeks with different schools being targeted each time.

The headmasters were hugely supportive and the scheme was a great success but it was amazing how arrogant the drivers were considering they were clearly in the wrong.

Fingers crossed!

Now that's a thought! Our local council were going to launch cars to spy on ignorant drivers but it all fell flat. Yet we can have the Google cars riding around filming and uploading images?

Hi-tech cameras in school cars blitz : Express & Star

The headmistress of the school has been great but her authority stops at the gates and there aren't enough wardens or police available to be there on a daily basis and I don't expect them to be.

A few of the parents I've approached are in favour of either:

Asking for delegated powers and appointed reps. to be able to enforce parking as volunteers.

Asking that traffic cones are supplied and put in place, again by volunteers.

Or the people are named and shamed with photographs, witnessed and made public.

Thursday ..The same woman..doing exactly the same as she did to me. Parked half on the pavement on zig-zags and pulled out without indicating again in front of another 4x4. All caught on camera and when the driver beeped his horn she is shouting obscene racist comments and braking without cause.

Friday...Same lady turns up late as I'm leaving the school. A chinese man, another one who regularly parks on the lines has taken her 'space'. Behind him is a car belonging to an indian person and in front is a taxi, driven by an indian person. All illegally parked.

She started honking her horn at the chinese person to move and swearing at him. She's looks to be of african descent and was calling them all the names under the sun in a racist way because they wouldn't move for her. Then they all started with name calling despite all being in the wrong. Again all caught on camera.

She had to park on the other side of the road, across someones driveway. She didn't manage to get out the drivers side ..Damn my battery. If looks could kill and her words..

I've never heard such racism before and it's not coming from the stereotypical white facist. They should be ashamed of themselves, I've only seen these cars and people since the new term so they'll have to learn it's not tolerated and they can't use race or ignorance.

Support the whole school and 'every child matters' in education and their welfare/safety in getting there or beggar off somewhere else that will tolerate your selfish attitude.

Thats an amazing story Crapstone

I started off speechles with all sorts of ideas racing through my brain.

Then I realised the next step. Start your own thread called 'selfish illegal parking outside schools' or something like, get the relevent posts transfered and it will attract people with similar experiences.

There might be people with answers or ideas who maybe don't drive and would not have an interest in 'middle lane drivers'

Pedross

If we wait for a cop or a traffic warden to act we will be waiting a long time. They stand there and are a prevention and not the cure. They should make themselves less obvious and start handing the tickets out swiftly. No discussions or clock watching.

Better still give the authority to parents, as wardens, with the ability to ticket and as volunteers. If it works for councils that allow portable speed cameras and self-policing to deter, then the same should work for parking laws.

If plan A doesn't work ..plan B will ...and there is always plan C to fall back on. Reminds me ..my bat. needs replacing ..either that or it's the alter. or leads. Must get it checked out.

It will take a child to be run over because of these selfish inconsiderate 'parents' before action is taken unfortunately.

another thought. Raise the issue with your local police road safety officer. Request police have a presence for several days on a random basis to give miscreants a sound telling off/issue tickets etc. A motorcycle patrol officer should do for an hour or so. If they raise difficulties like staffing levels, priorities etc mention that you were also thinking of speaking to the local paper about the problem. If the police can't help, do contact the paper. My experience is that most features editors like to undertake crusades and one involving child safety should get their support. The name and shame campaign had amazing success in Glasgow. The practice is indefensible in the eyes of any right thinking parent and the "I'll only be a minute" argument just doesn't wash.

I would also enlist the help of your local councillor. I recently approached mine about stupidly parked cars obscuring the view around a dangerous corner despite double yellow lines. It seems the lines were incorrectly drawn so tickets couldn't be issued. The councillor arranged for the correct markings to be applied, one day of ticketing followed and now everyone parks in the free car park 50 yards away. Not only is the road much safer, but the councillor has boosted her re-election chances so everyone wins.

This is a relatively simple problem caused by a few inconsiderate and selfish drivers, I hope one of these suggestions will provide a solution for you.

Just a thought, before the "check the TRO" brigade come galloping over the hill, let's not forget that this is about child safety not inconveniencing drivers or making money. I'm sure the council, parents and school staff would much rather see the school entrance kept clear than collect a few quid from tickets.

I'm picturing the learned judge' asking the motorist who's car obscured the view of the driver who ran over a child asking why he was parked on school zig zags? I don't think "because there wasn't a valid TRO" would impress his honour somehow.

You have to wonder if these ignorant b*st*rds would park there if instead of zig-zags there was a polite notice saying "please don't park here because there's a real danger of creating an accident" would have more effect? I doubt it somehow as these kind of people are the same as those who park in disabled bays because it's raining - they are beneath contempt!

Edited by rickyd

Even my five year old can't understand people who park on double yellows or over other peoples' driveways near her school. When we walk past them she points at them and shouts 'Ooooohhhhhh mummy, they shouldn't be parked there', 'no, but they do because they are idiots'. I would love to get there early and put nails on the road where they park.

Middle lane drivers make me fuuuurrrrious, I don't know what it is that they don't understand either :eek:

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

I'm afraid that children expect all things delivered on a plate these days i.e. a car journey to school. They acquire quick return from computer games, tv, etc..........why should their journey to school be any different? Too many parents are too quick to pander to their 'darlings' requests, a simple NO is often sufficient, followed by an explanation of why their demands will not be met.

Of course I understand safety implications of children walking alone (especially younger children), so walk with them! This would ensure safe and legal parking for the few children who live beyond walking distance from the school.

I realise my point of view is controversial, however, I believe that parenting has somehow lost its way. We may attempt to make our childrens' world perfect but are we preparing them for a world beyond our parental status?

In my opinion far too many parents are prepared to make their childrens' lives 'easy', this offers them no favours for the 'real' world they inevitably face.

Off subject I guess, but my rant over!!!! My children 12, and 15 walk to school, and are well aware that myself and my partner can and do say NO when applicable.

Sos for the rant but feel better now! :)

• Haha 1

Well said! Perhaps its better to kill or injure someone else's child whilst they drop off their own precious darlings.

I've always thought that the argument "We have a 4x4 because we want to protect our kids" is a ludicrous position to adopt. It suggests that their kids are more important than others' kids, especially when the biggest threat to them comes from being hit by a 4x4!

It does support the "I'll do what I want, I'm bigger than you" mindset which seems to underpin everything that makes us angry theses days.

Of course it would be too much to expect one of the parents to walk to school with their kids wouldn't it? I suppose we'll always get the "but we both work" scenario, but have they no neighbours, relatives or friends who could walk them to school?

Its pathetic, these non-walking, not traffic wise, frail little things are our future - dear, oh dear!